• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

tuffy

An online store from UK has brand new and pretty awesome MoHun t-shirts. Not sure I can post the link? I don't know if that's spamming...
It should be okay to link to a product offered by someone you're not affiliated with. Pretty sure we've seen plenty of those before.

Mephala

I have another question! Can you still roll through roars? In MHFU you can roll through most roars from monsters once you learn their timing. I have so far been unsuccessful so I'm wondering if things have changed? Been trying it whilst farming for Rathalos Shells and have eaten many fireballs for it.

tuffy

I have another question! Can you still roll through roars? In MHFU you can roll through most roars from monsters once you learn their timing. I have so far been unsuccessful so I'm wondering if things have changed? Been trying it whilst farming for Rathalos Shells and have eaten many fireballs for it.
You'll need Evasion +1/+2 along with good timing in order to roll through them. Superman dive works too, of course, but that's not an option most of the time.

upandaway

There are a couple that are short enough to be rolled through normally, no? I could swear I rolled, hell dashed (with DS), through Narga's screams.

Mephala

You'll need Evasion +1/+2 along with good timing in order to roll through them. Superman dive works too, of course, but that's not an option most of the time.

That makes sense. Guess I should finish off my Volvi set. Thanks for answering my questions :D

Not really a question but is there something different in the Wii U version? I've switched over from 3DS recently and can't help but feel like the game is running slower. Looks damn beautiful though. I seem to be performing worse and my timing seems slightly off but consistent enough that I don't think I'm just making mistakes but rather need to readjust my timings for whatever the difference is? Maybe its just the bigger screen. :\

Edit.
There are a couple that are short enough to be rolled through normally, no? I could swear I rolled, hell dashed (with DS), through Narga's screams.

Narga is this game? :D Does his armor still have evade+evade distance? Maybe I'll skip Volvi armor.

Prototype

Kinda weird that you would consider Ala and brachy in the "red" for GS. Regardless this is a great list so thanks!

Ya, the list is heavily biased by my own issues with a hunt. But the numbers are listed so you can make the determination for yourself!

tuffy

That makes sense. Guess I should finish off my Volvi set. Thanks for answering my questions :D

Not really a question but is there something different in the Wii U version? I've switched over from 3DS recently and can't help but feel like the game is running slower. Looks damn beautiful though. I seem to be performing worse and my timing seems slightly off but consistent enough that I don't think I'm just making mistakes but rather need to readjust my timings for whatever the difference is? Maybe its just the bigger screen. :\
You're not imagining things. The Wii U version has a noticeably lower framerate and others have also reported a small amount of input lag, even using off-TV play. It's something I've been able to adapt to when bouncing back and forth between systems, but it's most apparent when playing one right after the other.
Narga is this game? :D Does his armor still have evade+evade distance? Maybe I'll skip Volvi armor.
The good news is that Narga's in the game and his armor does offer Evasion+/Evade Extender. The bad news is that he doesn't show up until the last star of the high rank quests, so it's liable to take awhile to reach him. What's nice about Volvi is that he shows up a lot sooner and is pretty easy to farm.

Anura

Narga, Duram and jho can all be rolled through without evade + fairly easily. Some other monster's roars will let you do this too but some that don't are Raths, Brachy, Giggi and Dialblos.

Mind you these are just off the top of my head

Mephala

You're not imagining things. The Wii U version has a noticeably lower framerate and others have also reported a small amount of input lag, even using off-TV play. It's something I've been able to adapt to when bouncing back and forth between systems, but it's most apparent when playing one right after the other.

Thanks for clearing that up. I am glad its not just my imagination and sudden streak of terrible mistakes. Guess this'll make trying to roll through roars all the more challenging. Kind of disappointed as well it runs so well on my 3DS.

The good news is that Narga's in the game and his armor does offer Evasion+/Evade Extender. The bad news is that he doesn't show up until the last star of the high rank quests, so it's liable to take awhile to reach him. What's nice about Volvi is that he shows up a lot sooner and is pretty easy to farm.
You're right I've unlocked the double volvi quest and it is still remarkably easy to farm even when both are in the area. I'm familiar with Narga from MHFU though I'm sure there are changes but if what you say is true then there are probably a bunch of monsters I'll have to get through that I am not familiar with first. Speaking of which, I had my first encounter with that T-Rex looking monster. Looks annoying. :p Suspect I need something with blue sharpness to hit the chin, most of my weapons are still green. Found my first upgrade that needs a Rathalos Ruby. Good place to call it a night I think. =_=

Edit:
Narga, Duram and jho can all be rolled through without evade + fairly easily. Some other monster's roars will let you do this too but some that don't are Raths, Brachy, Giggi and Dialblos.

Mind you these are just off the top of my head

I think I just unlocked his quest. Guess I'll play safe and guard the roar when it comes, thanks for the heads up.

Wolfe

I find it amusing how long I ended up using that Volvidon armor for, shit is good. Funny also because I kind of hated how it looked, while in comparison I think the female version looks pretty rad :p

Mephala

I find it amusing how long I ended up using that Volvidon armor for, shit is good. Funny also because I kind of hated how it looked, while in comparison I think the female version looks pretty rad :p

My avatar is female because I found male armors are often too bulky for my tastes. The Volvi armor looks pretty mean on her. >8)

Is Evade+ really worth it?

It depends. It is a good skill but you still have to play carefully. All it does is give you extra invincibility frames I believe so you still have to know when and where to dodge. Sometimes it still won't save you. That said, if you're like me and want to conserve materials for weapons and just make a single high rank armor to get you through into g-rank to make end game armors then this is a pretty good skill to have for general purposes. There will always be a better combination for specific monsters using specific weapons but having the evade is never a bad thing in my opinion.

PKrockin

Rolling through tremors and roars is pretty awesome. I stuck with Volvidon armor for it through most of high rank despite how ugly I think it is.

Anura

Rolling through tremors and roars is pretty awesome. I stuck with Volvidon armor for it through most of high rank despite how ugly I think it is.
Jaggi>Volvi>Ceadeus saw me through the game. So glad they put such good sets right around the start of each rank

tuffy

Is a Wii U pro controller better than the Gamepad?
The pro controller has amazing battery life, but the gamepad has a touchscreen to put item combines and it's nice to be able to switch to off-TV play. I've been switching back-and-forth between the two regularly lately.

Anura

I use the wiimotes + classic controller combo I have had since the first Tri with the gamepad nearby

If you already have that it might save you some money instead of buying a new one

Anura

So, what are the 9 best Gunlances with a rarity level of 8 or higher other than the Mighty Cornpopper?

Gold rathian, Brachy, L narga should be the three you get first. They pretty much deal the most DPS to almost every monster however A Lagi and Dire miralis deal the most to specific monsters so get them too.

From there you could get S Los and Plessy to even out the remaining elements even if you might not use them(beyond ice... Ice weapons Pls) past this point there isn't much more optimal stuff to get... Might as well go for green narga for that awaken para or heck volvi for the natural para

Slowly making my way up all the missions again with my Hunting Horn. About halfway through HR. It's pretty fun to wield, but I'm noticing that people online are very fussy with horn users. More then half of the rooms this weekend kept badgering me to switch to a Negate Stamina horn. I don't mind switching every now and then, but it's going to get pretty boring if I'm expected to only only two or three very similar horns.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
People love that negate stamina. Before high rank that one horn with earplugs on it is also a godsend, though I don't know if its worth missing out on negate stamina for.

tuffy

Gold rathian, Brachy, L narga should be the three you get first. They pretty much deal the most DPS to almost every monster however A Lagi and Dire miralis deal the most to specific monsters so get them too.

From there you could get S Los and Plessy to even out the remaining elements even if you might not use them(beyond ice... Ice weapons Pls) past this point there isn't much more optimal stuff to get... Might as well go for green narga for that awaken para or heck volvi for the natural para
That's a huge help. I'm going for the award, obviously, but I'm also trying to avoid making a bunch of junk weapons so that I'll be ready in case I decide to take up gunlancing properly in the future. It's hard to find 10 must-haves for every class so a few comedy weapons are inevitable.

PKrockin

Slowly making my way up all the missions again with my Hunting Horn. About halfway through HR. It's pretty fun to wield, but I'm noticing that people online are very fussy with horn users. More then half of the rooms this weekend kept badgering me to switch to a Negate Stamina horn. I don't mind switching every now and then, but it's going to get pretty boring if I'm expected to only only two or three very similar horns.
I played a lot of online HR with horns and I never had people outright ask me to switch to a negate stamina horn, although I was usually using one since that's easily the most useful effect most of the time until purple notes. That and earplugs for stuff like Giggity and Uragaan. Sometimes I would ask non-DS/bow parties if they'd rather have me go with a negate stamina or higher damage horn and they'd usually say the latter.

Instead of planning out which horn trees will have the songs I want in G rank I just made a million of them. I have about 15 horns almost all at mid-high HR level--a horn for every situation!

Anura

That's a huge help. I'm going for the award, obviously, but I'm also trying to avoid making a bunch of junk weapons so that I'll be ready in case I decide to take up gunlancing properly in the future. It's hard to find 10 must-haves for every class so a few comedy weapons are inevitable.

No problem! I know that feeling. That award was very fun to get IMO

Good luck!

rrc1594

Just got MH3U on the Wii U look forward playing with Gaf

How do I add my name to Goggle Doc. I can see everyone else but, I don't know how to add mine

co1onel

Just got MH3U on the Wii U look forward playing with Gaf

How do I add my name to Goggle Doc. I can see everyone else but, I don't know how to add mine

Use the second link to submit your name, the first one only views them.

I also recently got a Wii U, and bought MH3U. I had played the game some on 3DS but I put it off so I could play it online when I got a Wii U. Would be nice to play with some other people who are on the early quests too.

Anura

Use the second link to submit your name, the first one only views them.

I also recently got a Wii U, and bought MH3U. I had played the game some on 3DS but I put it off so I could play it online when I got a Wii U. Would be nice to play with some other people who are on the early quests too.

I would help but I'm HR 386...

tuffy

Lately, our informal gatherings have been whenever somebody posts that they've got a room going in "World X, Lobby Y (sometimes with Password Z)". Then GAF folks show up so long as time zones are compatible and people aren't otherwise busy. I can usually lend a hand in the evenings (CDT, GMT-5) or weekends, for instance. A little advance notice helps too.

I think I'm ready to give up on the stupid pumpkins. I've sunk all these hours into it and I've still only got nine of them.

Should start an alt, for those sweet other-sex-than-main armor sets.
I wish female armours had more face coverage. Aside from this little bit, I strongly prefer the female armours.

Fistwell

Ive been thinking about going back, are you?
Maybe, probably not for anything substantial though. The "end game" bores me to tears, I only enjoy the progression. Wouldn't be able to play before a cple of weeks in any case. I'm in the process of moving to another country and my WiiU is almost a 1000Km away.

How have you been?

Yeah fest I don't think we ever played 3U together. Plenty of Rajang though but never 3U
8O
Of course we did!! That hurt my feelings! ;D

Anura

Maybe, probably not for anything substantial though. The "end game" bores me to tears, I only enjoy the progression. Wouldn't be able to play before a cple of weeks in any case. I'm in the process of moving to another country and my WiiU is almost a 1000Km away.

How have you been?

8O
Of course we did!! That hurt my feelings! ;D

Did we really? Wow... I don't remember I guess I'm just dumb lol

Fistwell

Did we really? Wow... I don't remember I guess I'm just dumb lol
A while ago. We had played together in 3U before I had even considered the possibility of importing a jp 3DS with mh4. It was you and what's-his-face who convinced me to do it. I think?

Edit: here you go,

Already got the yen on my account! C'mon fest join us, I want to play with you again! My 3U disc is broken and this is the reason why I haven't replaced it

Top Bottom