• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

d0c_zaius

I'll be doing some G rank peco and gigis for my hunting horn set while trying to derust.

I thought about restarting from the beginning but....nah heh.

tuffy

About to get online, I see Sassy and 54yo dude online, has either one of you guys some room for me?
Was just harvesting a few Kingwhiskers, but feel free to get my attention with a quick message since I don't check who else is online as often as I should.

However, it was a productive day:
ZsMiWp2.jpg

Filling out the crown awards shouldn't be too tough and getting the combination book award mostly means farming a bunch of Slickaxes. But I don't ever think I'll fill out the top row any further than it is now; I'm pretty lousy at most blademaster weapons so I'm not likely to finish up the arena quests with a good enough grade.

Anura

Was just harvesting a few Kingwhiskers, but feel free to get my attention with a quick message since I don't check who else is online as often as I should.

However, it was a productive day:

Filling out the crown awards shouldn't be too tough and getting the combination book award mostly means farming a bunch of Slickaxes. But I don't ever think I'll fill out the top row any further than it is now; I'm pretty lousy at most blademaster weapons so I'm not likely to finish up the arena quests with a good enough grade.

Grats on the Hammer!
Edit: Once I find my disc we can tear through those arena quests if you like! I've carried some bad people through them so with you it shouldn't be an issue lol! The solo ones should be easy enough even with a bad performance

tuffy

Grats on the Hammer!
Edit: Once I find my disc we can tear through those arena quests if you like! I've carried some bad people through them so with you it shouldn't be an issue lol! The solo ones should be easy enough even with a bad performance
Thanks! It would be nice to get the Barrage Earrings too, for that matter. I'll have to take some of my newfound gear out into Moga Woods for some risk-free practice runs.

It's essentially a three button game and the moves list is right in the manual. But I have literally 0 uses with hammers, hunting horns, lances and gunlances, so I'm going to be terribad with them for awhile!

Anura

Thanks! It would be nice to get the Barrage Earrings too, for that matter. I'll have to take some of my newfound gear out into Moga Woods for some risk-free practice runs.

It's essentially a three button game and the moves list is right in the manual. But I have literally 0 uses with hammers, hunting horns, lances and gunlances, so I'm going to be terribad with them for awhile!

Luckily hammers are easy to use and hard to master. For the other three? Well practice makes perfect, lol (GL has some crazy convoluted chains though)

upandaway

Are you sure you need to do the arenas with all weapons for the awards? I thought you just needed to do it with one weapon.

You should definitely try and do it with all weapons for the fun of it though, I love the arenas.

tuffy

Luckily hammers are easy to use and hard to master. For the other three? Well practice makes perfect, lol (GL has some crazy convoluted chains though)
Easy to use, hard to master holds true for a lot of weapons, now that I think about it. Like sword & shield has one of the easiest movesets and simplest comboes there is, but beating Sticky Situation in record time with it means knowing its strengths and using it well. I've got a lot to learn!
Are you sure you need to do the arenas with all weapons for the awards? I thought you just needed to do it with one weapon.
It looks like "Champion's Badge" is "Clear all arena quests in Port Tanzia with at least one Weapon" and "Arena Trophy" is "Clear all arena quests with at least one Weapon in A or S rank times" according to the wiki. I'm pretty sure the second one is what's needed for the earrings also.

tuffy

Sassy you took that picture with a capture card, right?

Congrats! I'm working on my Artisan Award too, lots of Meldspar Ore needed. >.<
I did! I've got a cheap little Hauppage HD PVR 2 that's usually not too flakey. Just took a short movie and extracted some shots from it with VLC.

It's a fun award to get and cleans out a lot of parts from my box at the same time. Though I've done the G Volcano 1 -> 3 -> 5 -> 8 -> 9 -> 10 -> farcaster run for Meldspar so often I could probably do it blindfolded at this point.

Easy to use, hard to master holds true for a lot of weapons, now that I think about it. Like sword & shield has one of the easiest movesets and simplest comboes there is, but beating Sticky Situation in record time with it means knowing its strengths and using it well. I've got a lot to learn!

It looks like "Champion's Badge" is "Clear all arena quests in Port Tanzia with at least one Weapon" and "Arena Trophy" is "Clear all arena quests with at least one Weapon in A or S rank times" according to the wiki. I'm pretty sure the second one is what's needed for the earrings also.

Man, now I'm motivated to get all the badges. Are those earrings worth it, by the way?

tuffy

Man, now I'm motivated to get all the badges. Are those earrings worth it, by the way?
The Barrage Earrings might be worth it. Load Up is Handicraft-level expensive to gem in and is generally useful for all sorts of bowgunning, so it'd be great to have that in a single piece of armor. The other one gives Mind's Eye, I think, which isn't quite as useful.

Anura

The earrings aren't actually super useful. I mean when is load up really needed beyond a few bows? It's nice to have for guns but I usually prioritize other skills over it. Also I found that when I do need it I'm able to gem it in on other ways

tuffy

The earrings aren't actually super useful. I mean when is load up really needed beyond a few bows? It's nice to have for guns but I usually prioritize other skills over it. Also I found that when I do need it I'm able to gem it in on other ways
Elemental clip sizes are usually pretty small, so going from 4 to 5 eliminates 3 reloads per 60 shots, and going from 5 to 6 eliminates 2 reloads per 60 shots. But for physical shot guns with a lot of shots per clip already, it's not much help. Even bow users hardly ever use the level 4 charges because it takes too long to get there for the boost it offers.

So I suppose the real problem is that the Load Up skill is just too expensive for what it does, so getting it in a single piece of armor makes it more palatable.

Anura

Elemental clip sizes are usually pretty small, so going from 4 to 5 eliminates 3 reloads per 60 shots, and going from 5 to 6 eliminates 2 reloads per 60 shots. But for physical shot guns with a lot of shots per clip already, it's not much help. Even bow users hardly ever use the level 4 charges because it takes too long to get there for the boost it offers.

So I suppose the real problem is that the Load Up skill is just too expensive for what it does, so getting it in a single piece of armor makes it more palatable.

Exactly! It's a real bummer considering how amazing sharpness + 1 is. I also have thing for packing in as much offense skills as I can but I bet someone that doesn't care as much for them would find some great use for it

Syril

Okay this is really weird. For some reason I haven't had the ability to make the Mystery Pot Mask at all. I looked it up and apparently it's unlocked by doing the low rank quest where you have to repel the Lagiacrus, which I've done a long time ago. I don't know what to make of this.

tuffy

Okay this is really weird. For some reason I haven't had the ability to make the Mystery Pot Mask at all. I looked it up and apparently it's unlocked by doing the low rank quest where you have to repel the Lagiacrus, which I've done a long time ago. I don't know what to make of this.
According to one guide, the requirements are to complete 2, 4 star Village quests (other than the Tundra Harvest Tour and "Accident Investigation"), fulfill the "Field of Dreams" Villager Request and then talk to the head farmer.

I think I'm going to bite on the freedom unite ios version, the reviews are pretty good.

It kind of makes me wish I didn't pick up the PSP version a month ago. Finding things like harvest points are such a pain. Still, I've been having fun with the game and I guess that's what matters the most.

so, been trying to learn how to use the HH because earplugs and other goodies, but i wanted to ask the following:

is there a pattern to the kind of attacks it has? i hate it that sometimes the dude just swings back and i get to hit no one u_u

Syril

so, been trying to learn how to use the HH because earplugs and other goodies, but i wanted to ask the following:

is there a pattern to the kind of attacks it has? i hate it that sometimes the dude just swings back and i get to hit no one u_u

It does a different attack depending on if you're holding a direction or not, and it alternates if you use the same button repeatedly. The A attack is special in that the only way to do the small jab forward without doing another A attack first is to press the button that kicks when your weapon is sheathed.

jercruz

I noticed that my RNG favors me if i play offline. I want an azure dragonspire, i wont get it online. play solo, get at least one. I want a crook, not online. solo? here have two!

Almost 1000 hours in and this is the first time I'm hearing of this weapon:

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Frozen_Speartuna_(MH3U)

LOL! Off to fish a speartuna!

Really? Do you not obsessively look at possible weapon upgrades when chatting to the Smithy like someone I could mention? *cough* I had that available before I got to 100 hours :p but although I'm almost double that playtime now I still haven't got to
Barioth
:/

Mephala

Can someone give me some tips for Jhen Mohran? I am currently in the Volvi armor, I eat some stuff for attack buffs, I bring bomber and random attacker Shakalakas and I've tried using a few HR weapons such as Rime&Treason, Eternal Hate and a few other things.

depward

Can someone give me some tips for Jhen Mohran? I am currently in the Volvi armor, I eat some stuff for attack buffs, I bring bomber and random attacker Shakalakas and I've tried using a few HR weapons such as Rime&Treason, Eternal Hate and a few other things.
When I was at village Jhen, all I could hope for is a repel. This means: you have to have the battle go the whole time.

And that means: you have to protect your ship. Alternate your defense (gong and harpoon) and try to hit him twice with the dragonator during the final showdown.

It definitely takes some tries to get used to the flow off battle.

tuffy

Concentrate on breaking the spine cracks in the first phase, and feel free to keep attacking those weak crevices once the spines are broken. The high rank one will sit perpendicular to the ship for a long time after a ram/belly flop attempt, so do as much damage as you can.

When he comes at the ship from the front, he'll start by moving from left to right while launching some rocks in your general direction. Then he'll head from right to left before going straight for the ship. Hit the dragonator button after his tail goes under and it should hit him right in the face.

In the final showdown, run up to him and go for his paws with the best "burst" attack your weapon has (level 3 charges, demon mode, spirit slashes, hack & slash axe combo, etc.). Go for his mouth if you knock him over, but don't get too greedy.

If he reaches the ship, spam ship weaponry like the dragonator, hunting gong and ballista binder to push him back and keep him from belly flopping. The gong and binder recharge fast, so feel free to keep alternating between them to buy yourself time to keep attacking. At worst, you should be able to manage a simple repel if you can keep those weapons going at regular intervals.

depward

At last I've decided to grab remaining dances and masks for my dudes and I'm now in "rare commodity" world.

Read that you cab do the kelbi LR quest to get a desired hunting report but I've had some success with having 5, 6, and one 7 commodity monster pop after the initial threat(s) are dealt with.

How did you all go about this process?

tuffy

At last I've decided to grab remaining dances and masks for my dudes and I'm now in "rare commodity" world.

Read that you cab do the kelbi LR quest to get a desired hunting report but I've had some success with having 5, 6, and one 7 commodity monster pop after the initial threat(s) are dealt with.

How did you all go about this process?
If the Moga forecast is lousy, you can pass game days by doing the "Prescription Pick-Up" quest really fast. Just take 2 Kelbi Horns with you when you take the quest, drop them in the box immediately and get 2 Kelbi Horns in the rewards (among other things).

When something good does pop up in Moga, capture it if you can for even better rewards. Skills like Capture Master come in handy here.

And after the first monsters in the forecast are dealt with, others will pop up somewhere on the map after a minute or two - up to 4 or 5 total. The next ones are often better. But you'll never know what they'll be, so it can be a bit of crapshoot.

I just naturally hunt anything interesting that pops up in the forecast, so I wound up with a ton of rare commodities without really farming for them specifically.

Mephala

Which of Jhen's attacks actually damage the ship? I'm guessing its rocks and the horizontal tusk swipe does not. At the moment I'm still learning her attacks. In her first phase the pattern seems almost identical each run. I've yet to repel it successfully. I got annoyed at constantly losing the ship so I went in with fish, barrels and bombs. I missed her head with the Dragonator so I didn't manage to break the tusks. I killed it with about 15 seconds left on the clock. I thought it was a repel until I saw it dead on the ground. Didn't get full carves :(
How many carves is there any way? Is it in specific spots like Lao in MHFU?

Which of Jhen's attacks actually damage the ship? I'm guessing its rocks and the horizontal tusk swipe does not. At the moment I'm still learning her attacks. In her first phase the pattern seems almost identical each run. I've yet to repel it successfully. I got annoyed at constantly losing the ship so I went in with fish, barrels and bombs. I missed her head with the Dragonator so I didn't manage to break the tusks. I killed it with about 15 seconds left on the clock. I thought it was a repel until I saw it dead on the ground. Didn't get full carves :(
How many carves is there any way? Is it in specific spots like Lao in MHFU?
Nailing both chances with the dragonator really help with killing it. It has quite a lot of carves. You can have some on its body, another set on its face and you can even mine on its back in several spots for some parts. The mineable spots look like thin, tall crystals. It also has two larger spots with cracks in them, which can be broken for an easy tunnel and a nice soft gooey spot to attack it in. Jhen is a nicer fight with more people though, since you can really coordinate the tasks and wipe the floor with it efficiently.

The first phase is indeed always the same, so the best is to look up some videos of people successfully pulling it off and remember the order. Also pay attention to the timing of the first dragonator shot.

I'm pretty sure all the attacks do damage, but you probably don't need to sweat all of them. Just focus on trying to minimise damage from his biggest attacks and you'll do fine. For the second phase, I recall that slime-triggered explosions make it walk back, so that's always an option if you need it to keep its distance.

ohlawd

all its attacks do damage to the ship I think

you should block its forward lunge (it'll swim directly towards the ship using its tusks) and ULTRA SLAM (this one is obvious; it'll be real close to the ship with most of its body pointed toward the sky, getting ready to dish the pain)

use the binder and gong respectively for those attacks.

lay down the anti dragon bomb on its tusks if you want to break those.

for real, the ship WILL take damage but if you prevent those two attacks and not let it approach your ship on the second phasr (you can if the dragonator is available), you should be okay.

Mephala

Thanks for all the advice guys. Going to give this guy another try tomorrow. I'll definitely try the AntiDragon bombs on the tusk, don't know why I didn't think of that. I was using it on its back.

Need an item to complete an armour set or upgrade a weapon and can't remember how best to get it? Hit home and use the browser to go straight to a website that details it while the game is paused. Awesome. Thanks nerds! <3

Need an item to complete an armour set or upgrade a weapon and can't remember how best to get it? Hit home and use the browser to go straight to a website that details it while the game is paused. Awesome. Thanks nerds! <3

I actually use this method to look at the manual for the game when I'm learning new weapons. It's been an invaluable tool.

ohlawd

meh @ the tasteless ribbing

k I finally started my 3DS copy because screw it, MH3U > anything in my backlog. Might as well practice with these controls when 4U drops.

Rocking Hunting Horns, will go back to Lances when cutting. I'll also resist going online :3

Mephala

Trying to get some ElderDragon Blood. Is it possible to kill Ceadus (Moga Village) in a single run? I went in with my lance and absolutely went to town on him. Broke the beard in less than 10 minutes sending him flying towards the final area. Full hit with Dragonator twice and just assaulting the beard and horn as much as possible but still no good.

Liethe

Trying to get some ElderDragon Blood. Is it possible to kill Ceadus (Moga Village) in a single run? I went in with my lance and absolutely went to town on him. Broke the beard in less than 10 minutes sending him flying towards the final area. Full hit with Dragonator twice and just assaulting the beard and horn as much as possible but still no good.
It's definitely possible to kill him in one go, but I can't remember specifically how long it takes. At a guess my usual time is between 10-15 minutes. This is with endgame equipment though.

It's been a while since I played, but I remember having a lot of problems with Jhen. I was using Bows and Bowguns and finally just gave up. Then I discovered the Switch Axe.

The Dios Switch Axe is probably the best HR weapon to use against him, since explosions are so effective against him. Other than hitting him with 2 dragonators and using the harpoons & gong when he's going to hit the ship, you need to wail on him with the switch axe combo and just explode everything. Get on his back in phase 1 and break all of the holes in his back.
Eventually, it got to the point that the second dragonator would be the final blow.

well, bowguns with pierce bring jhen to the ground awfully fast.

If you can manage to get the blazooka, go for it. If not, light bowgun the pierce-enabled one, and go have fun at it :D

it'll be 1 dragonator and you'll be done

Anura

I've done Jhen and Goldbeard very, very fast with L. Narga HGB. My Blazooka times are often much worse but I think that is just because I am able to optimize L. Narga's more

Mephala

I'm not going to lie, I haven't made a single bowgun yet. I was originally expecting to get one for Plesioth but its hipcheck is far more forgiving now and chasing it into the water makes things a lot simpler. I also don't have any gunner armor other than the original gathering set. :p

I have both the Dios LS and SA. I might try them on Jhen. She is such a pain. -_-
I just wish they didn't take so long.

Pila

K guys, I'd like to be marked as a hero. ^^

Lagia is not a big issue, I'm pretty confident with the dude. Los & Brachy may worry me a little bit. I'm bringing flash bombs, farcaster and mega juice. Would you recommend anything else? Not gonna use smoke bombs, hate them.

K guys, I'd like to be marked as a hero. ^^

Lagia is not a big issue, I'm pretty confident with the dude. Los & Brachy may worry me a little bit. I'm bringing flash bombs, farcaster and mega juice. Would you recommend anything else? Not gonna use smoke bombs, hate them.
I still struggle with this mission myself, and can't finish it without cheezing my way through. Flash bombs help a lot, but I can't just leave Brachydios unattended. He closes gaps way too fast and leaves exploding puddles all over the place. Staying close and putting the camera on it cannot be avoided for me. Los is fine for the most part, but when it is airborne, I have to reach for a farcaster way too often to recover.

Pila

I still struggle with this mission myself, and can't finish it without cheezing my way through. Flash bombs help a lot, but I can't just leave Brachydios unattended. He closes gaps way too fast and leaves exploding puddles all over the place. Staying close and putting the camera on it cannot be avoided for me. Los is fine for the most part, but when it is airborne, I have to reach for a farcaster way too often to recover.
My man. They say that Lagia is the hard part of the quest but I managed to kill him in maybe 15 minutes, I know him well. When the nasty couple arrived my quest went to shit, I couldn't find a way to let the baddies kill each others and I ended up in failure.

Maybe I forgot to bring flash bombs lol, next time I'll bring plenty of them

I just go this game on Wii U. What do I do first?
The best advise I can give you is to simply make your way through the village quests. Rank 1 is pretty much all tutorials. It may be a little boring and slow, but keep in mind that there's a lot to learn, and it doesn't want to overwhelm you. Once you are done with the first couple of village ranks, you should be able to comfortably hold your own online. The best advice I can tell you for the game is to be patient. Not getting hit is usually more important than hitting the monster.

Top Bottom