• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Mephala

Just bought a WiiU and I've transferred my saves over. I'm using the Wii U Pro controller rather than the GamePad so I don't have access to the screen there. How do I signal my Shakalakas? On the 3DS I had it on the panels so I just tapped the screen. :\

First thing I did was go and hunt a HR Rathalos... I forget to bring whetstones, brought raw meat to cook but forgot my BBQ spit. Never quite a quest faster..

tuffy

Just bought a WiiU and I've transferred my saves over. I'm using the Wii U Pro controller rather than the GamePad so I don't have access to the screen there. How do I signal my Shakalakas? On the 3DS I had it on the panels so I just tapped the screen. :\
Bring up the menu with the "-" button and use "X" or "Y" to signal. I usually do that by accident when I'm combining ammo and don't exit menus all the way before trying to reload.

I just saw a video where the player used the combo option to make multiple normal lv2 shots per combination.

Is this an armor skill or something? Whenever I combine things I only get one per combination.

tuffy

I just saw a video where the player used the combo option to make multiple normal lv2 shots per combination.

Is this an armor skill or something? Whenever I combine things I only get one per combination.
Normal lv. 2 and lv. 3 should give between 2 to 4 shots per combination. Check out the big combo list chart to see how many of something you'll get per combine. The cheap Combination Pro skill always guarantees the maximum number of combination items, making it sort of like Speed Sharpening for gunners.

There's a good set of SocialDissonance tutorials on Gunlances here. I've played GL a bunch before and it's really fun, I hate Wide though.

Also main lances (for whatever that's worth when I play almost all weapons). I digressed a bit in 3U for GS and DS, but I still do my best with a lance.
I never ever ever do an underwater quest with anything but a lance.

I've been giving the gunlance a go in FU and I might even build one for my 3DS. It's been pretty fun and having the chance to block instead of having to roll is a great change of pace.

Today's n00b question: money vs resources. I have lots of resources, and not much money. What's the difference between the two and why not have a single currency? Can I convert one to the other? Is there something I should have spent resources on but didn't, which is why I now have a lot?

tuffy

Today's n00b question: money vs resources. I have lots of resources, and not much money. What's the difference between the two and why not have a single currency? Can I convert one to the other? Is there something I should have spent resources on but didn't, which is why I now have a lot?
Resource points are mostly to power your farm and fishing fleets, while money is used for just about everything else. You can convert between the two only indirectly. To get money from resource points, farm Nullberries and sell them for cash. To get resource points from money, buy items which Junior can convert to resources (like Ice Crystals).

Keep upgrading your fishing fleets and farm with Villager Requests and those points will get used eventually.

PKrockin

I like how the farm in 3U works. By the time the novelty of gathering my own materials wore off I was able to start upgrading the farm and buying/farming most of the materials to keep my supplies stocked. It's enough to go mining/catching ores and bugs for weapon upgrades every once in a while without always having to worry about bitterbugs and honey.

I like how the farm in 3U works. By the time the novelty of gathering my own materials wore off I was able to start upgrading the farm and buying/farming most of the materials to keep my supplies stocked. It's enough to go mining/catching ores and bugs for weapon upgrades every once in a while without always having to worry about bitterbugs and honey.

so i heard you like carpenter bugs...

and maiden butterflies

tuffy

Are those hard to find? I don't remember running short of them, maybe I just got lucky.
Carpenterbugs aren't hard to harvest out on the tours, but the only way to get Maiden Butterflies is to send hired hunters to the Volcano. That means getting a guild card from somebody and being HR8+ - all to forge gear which isn't that great.

PKrockin

Carpenterbugs aren't hard to harvest out on the tours, but the only way to get Maiden Butterflies is to send hired hunters to the Volcano. That means getting a guild card from somebody and being HR8+ - all to forge gear which isn't that great.
Well you can talk to that drunkard to change what kind of quests you want your hired hunters to go on, so that doesn't seem that bad, but what the hell are 3DS players supposed to do?

tuffy

Well you can talk to that drunkard to change what kind of quests you want your hired hunters to go on, so that doesn't seem that bad, but what the hell are 3DS players supposed to do?
They're basically expected to meet up with some other 3DS players in local multiplayer and pass cards around. That's easier said than done outside of Japan, obviously.

so i heard you like carpenter bugs...

and maiden butterflies

For carpenter bugs you can farm the felyne cave in Moga Woods. You can run there and gather then port back in under two minutes so time doesn't pass.

It sucks that the bugs you always need are the ones you can't make more of on the farm.

Normal lv. 2 and lv. 3 should give between 2 to 4 shots per combination. Check out the big combo list chart to see how many of something you'll get per combine. The cheap Combination Pro skill always guarantees the maximum number of combination items, making it sort of like Speed Sharpening for gunners.

Ok, I just noticed now it shows you the output when you try to combine something (didn't notice before). Thanks.

Resource points are mostly to power your farm and fishing fleets, while money is used for just about everything else. You can convert between the two only indirectly. To get money from resource points, farm Nullberries and sell them for cash. To get resource points from money, buy items which Junior can convert to resources (like Ice Crystals).

Keep upgrading your fishing fleets and farm with Villager Requests and those points will get used eventually.

Cheers :)

Just got done with the high rank Crimson Peco village quest. Deviljho is hard to avoid when the other monster is actively calling for it.

They're basically expected to meet up with some other 3DS players in local multiplayer and pass cards around. That's easier said than done outside of Japan, obviously.

Don't forget you can get guild cards via streetpass.

After playing with the Gunlance for a bit the only issue I'm having is with getting back into the block stance once an enemy attack is incoming. What usually happens is I see the attack coming but there's no way that I can see to combo into the block so I end up dodging (still in enemies path) and get hit just before I'm able to block normally.

upandaway

After playing with the Gunlance for a bit the only issue I'm having is with getting back into the block stance once an enemy attack is incoming. What usually happens is I see the attack coming but there's no way that I can see to combo into the block so I end up dodging (still in enemies path) and get hit just before I'm able to block normally.
You sure you're not just being too greedy? If you keep to single upward swings and normal jabs when you know you can't get in anything longer, you should be able to block or dodge things okay.

Here's a reference video if it helps. He doesn't use explosions at all so it should help with seeing how the combos fit into a fight (a lot of Gunlance videos I've seen just abuse explosion flinches so it doesn't help much).

Anura

Using a shot will let you go into shielding really fast. Just press A and hold R

You sure you're not just being too greedy? If you keep to single upward swings and normal jabs when you know you can't get in anything longer, you should be able to block or dodge things okay.

Here's a reference video if it helps. He doesn't use explosions at all so it should help with seeing how the combos fit into a fight (a lot of Gunlance videos I've seen just abuse explosion flinches so it doesn't help much).

It might be a case of me just biting off more than I can chew. That video's pretty good, he varied up his combo depending on how much time he had, which I guess I need to do as well instead of trying to get in a lot of attacks before I dodge.

Using a shot will let you go into shielding really fast. Just press A and hold R

I'll try that as well.

RasanRL

Neo Member
Guys, I just got my wii u. Is online community still active? Thinking about getting this game but I need some help deciding.

Anura

Guys, I just got my wii u. Is online community still active? Thinking about getting this game but I need some help deciding.
Yeah it's very active. The "free 1" server is usually almost full at peek times (I think that's like 1000 people?) and that's not including the others that hover around 100-400

Doombear

Just played a few random hunts today actually, I think Town 1 had about 850/1000 and the first 3 or so lobbies were at max capacity. No idea what it is like during the week but I don't think it is going away just yet.

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? I just bought a Wii U and a copy of this game but cannot set up local multiplayer between the console and portable (3DS) versions. Is there some kind of region lock enabled? I am using a US version of MH3U 3DS to connect to a EU version of MH3U Wii U. I have followed tutorials and neither system recognizes each other.

Prototype

As expected, Cera Cymmetry > Nero’s Anguish = Blade of Tartarus. Although the fact Cera needs 2 Hardhorns means it's an impossible dream for me, so I'll stick to Tartarus.

I wouldn't quite say Nero = BoT.

Even in my own experiements, getting BoT up to (just slightly past) Nero required extremely specific sets and only when I also didn't use a maximized set catered towards Nero. In which case I found Nero to be superior in everything but looks. It really is an ugly sword.

On Hardhorns, I never got a single one until I did the advanced quest "Plain Dangerous". I ended up getting every Hardhorn i needed from that one quest over time. Imo it's the best source for them as you not only have a chance for the monster to drop one but the item is a natural quest reward for that particular quest.

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? I just bought a Wii U and a copy of this game but cannot set up local multiplayer between the console and portable (3DS) versions. Is there some kind of region lock enabled? I am using a US version of MH3U 3DS to connect to a EU version of MH3U Wii U. I have followed tutorials and neither system recognizes each other.

Gamefaqs says that 3DS multiplayer is region locked. So US/EU Wii U players can play online, but you can't connect a US 3DS to a EU Wii U.

Shengar

So is it normal to loot Mega Potion from (Pink) Rathian and Barroth tail carves in High Rank? This weird thing happened to me for third in a row already.

Prototype

So is it normal to loot Mega Potion from (Pink) Rathian and Barroth tail carves in High Rank? This weird thing happened to me for third in a row already.

this will happen in many advanced quests. Generally speaking, if you are carving pots, the rewards will be good.

Anura

If the quest says "hunt all the large monsters" instead of specifically listing them you will be carving mega pots

tuffy

On Hardhorns, I never got a single one until I did the advanced quest "Plain Dangerous". I ended up getting every Hardhorn i needed from that one quest over time. Imo it's the best source for them as you not only have a chance for the monster to drop one but the item is a natural quest reward for that particular quest.
"Plain Dangerous" works out to around a 25% chance of at least one Hardhorn from the quest rewards alone, which is pretty good by Monster Hunter standards. "Cold Day in Hell" has similar chances of at least one Brach Pallium, and isn't especially hard since the other monsters are just a couple of Great Baggis.

I was helping my nephew farm them and he got the Pallium he needed on the first try and the Hardhorn on the second, which was a huge time saver.

Pila

"Plain dangerous" is a God's gift for the hardhorn seeker. Prototype told me about it and he basically saved my life lol.

So I just spent my entire evening killing Barroth's and finding bugs so I could build their cool looking armour. And I couldn't be happier, this game is so satisfying, fighting the same monster stays fun and exciting, the rewards to work towards are totally worth it. Thanks to everyone who was giving me advice and helping me get the hang of this game!

xNiallC

Anyone else notice that the game runs in stereoscopic 3D on WiiU? TV gave me a notification to switch on 3D when the game started, seems pretty good.

tuffy

Anyone else notice that the game runs in stereoscopic 3D on WiiU? TV gave me a notification to switch on 3D when the game started, seems pretty good.
Are you sure that's not a conversion function of your 3D TV? Otherwise, this would be the first time I've heard of Monster Hunter, or any other Wii U title, rendering in stereoscopic 3D.

xNiallC

Are you sure that's not a conversion function of your 3D TV? Otherwise, this would be the first time I've heard of Monster Hunter, or any other Wii U title, rendering in stereoscopic 3D.

I don't think so, because it specifically told me that the content was available in 3D and to press the 3D button to activate it. Usually 2D to 3D conversion looks poor, but this definitely seems intended. I don't know, maybe it's just my imagination, but the notification was there.

Ocelott

Just got a Wii U Yesterday...Is it too late to jump in meaning are there still a lot of active players? or should I hold off?

Pila

An online store from UK has brand new and pretty awesome MoHun t-shirts. Not sure I can post the link? I don't know if that's spamming...

Top Bottom