• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

tuffy

One of the best things about hunting offline is I can wear a rewards-heavy set without feeling like some sort of leech. Did the triple Gobul quest and got 4 Kingwhiskrs in one run, which was very convenient.

Doombear

One of the best things about hunting offline is I can wear a rewards-heavy set without feeling like some sort of leech. Did the triple Gobul quest and got 4 Kingwhiskrs in one run, which was very convenient.

I have rocked a Golden set plenty of times when I have ventured online, and felt I contributed far more than people with more attack focused sets. =P I would never give anyone a hard time no matter what they were using as long as they were carrying their weight! I mean, I would think that most people are choosing the fights they are choosing to either rank up or farm a monster's bits. So as long as we are successful, have fun right?

Anura

Unless we're doing a select few tough hunts I've always been fine with anything other people do as long as it's not consistently disrupting me (Lance charge spam) or they're in home base mooching without permission (I honestly don't mind if someone does this as long as they ask)

PKrockin

Yeah, they could be naked for all I care as long as they're doing damage and staying alive. I don't want to be that guy who tells other people how to customize their own character.

I've been putting a lot of time into offline just trying to get Granny Go To to carry Armor Stones so I can make some True Armor spheres. I'll bounce between sending off hunting parties, farming the G rank Volcano, killing large resource monsters, and cooking meat. I feel like I've gone through a few week's worth of game time and still no Armor Stones are showing up. Am I doing something wrong?

Pila

Try downloading all the DLCs again, just to be sure.

Sometimes the granny doesn't want to show off the good stuff, what a pain. When she puts them out, buy plenty.

I had to bump this because i am an idiot and got a Wii U recently and this game, i also have this for 3ds and me and my brother want to play, how do i go about playing together i have downloaded the relay packet tool and I am stumped on what exactly I need to do. Do I have to synch up my 3ds for it to find friends. Thanks for anyone that can help a noob out.

tuffy

I had to bump this because i am an idiot and got a Wii U recently and this game, i also have this for 3ds and me and my brother want to play, how do i go about playing together i have downloaded the relay packet tool and I am stumped on what exactly I need to do. Do I have to synch up my 3ds for it to find friends. Thanks for anyone that can help a noob out.
Do you also have a wired ethernet adapter for the Wii U? The packet relay tool will use the wireless connection for the 3DS and the wired connection to bring the 3DS to the internet in order to work.

If not, consider tracking down a Wii U version of the game instead and using the free 3DS transfer tool to move your hunter to the Wii U version. It's a much easier way to get online than the somewhat hackish packet relay.

Do you also have a wired ethernet adapter for the Wii U? The packet relay tool will use the wireless connection for the 3DS and the wired connection to bring the 3DS to the internet in order to work.

If not, consider tracking down a Wii U version of the game instead and using the free 3DS transfer tool to move your hunter to the Wii U version. It's a much easier way to get online than the somewhat hackish packet relay.

I figured it out, I was just being dumb thanks for helping me out though. I thought you had to use the relay packet tool, so I bought the ethernet wii thing too and now I figured how to do it lol.

tuffy

I figured it out, I was just being dumb thanks for helping me out though. I thought you had to use the relay packet tool, so I bought the ethernet wii thing too and now I figured how to do it lol.
Glad I could be of some help!
How long does it take for her to cycle through her inventory?
Granny cycles her inventory after every quest, and I'm pretty sure that also counts abandoned quests. So it should be possible to take a harvest tour, abandon it right away, then re-check Granny's inventory again. You'll know when Armor Stones are available because there'll be 8 pages of stuff instead of the usual 4.

Glad I could be of some help!

Granny cycles her inventory after every quest, and I'm pretty sure that also counts abandoned quests. So it should be possible to take a harvest tour, abandon it right away, then re-check Granny's inventory again. You'll know when Armor Stones are available because there'll be 8 pages of stuff instead of the usual 4.

Don't you have to be in the quest for 2 minutes? I thought it was like the cycling the days for resource hunting.

MegaMelon

In anticipation for m Wii U which I should be getting soon, I decided to start playing again. Soloing G-rank is...well it's certainly a challenge! But I just crafted a mainly G.Ceadeus armor with a few other things which gives me

Handicraft/Bomb Boost/Divine Blessing/Earplugs

So I'm not gonna stop playing anytime soon!

tuffy

Don't you have to be in the quest for 2 minutes? I thought it was like the cycling the days for resource hunting.
I just tested it and Granny's stock does cycle even after abandoning a quest - just like how the Advanced quest list cycles - so the 8 page one should show up eventually.

That said, I've lost the DLC stuff in the past when doing system transfers, so it's worth re-checking to make sure Granny's DLC has been downloaded.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Getting near the end of single player high rank, also just got HR 4 in multiplayer.

Slime weapons seem a bit too powerful especially when you don't know or don't have a monsters weakness. I'm rocking the Dios Blade+. I have a slight addiction problem when it comes to High Rank armor, some of them just look too good to pass up. I've seemingly got no use for Zinogre gear but it looks so swank that I had to make it. Same with the Rhopessa and Peco U armor, though Rhopessa did actually help with grinding Brachydios.

Jealous of the weapons I see with white sharpness, damn Lances and Sword and Shield! Getting a Blue Sharpness weapon as quick as possible is what helped me get this far to begin with, but I can't see anything in the near future on my upgrade trees with improved sharpness. Oh well.

Anura

Getting near the end of single player high rank, also just got HR 4 in multiplayer.

Slime weapons seem a bit too powerful especially when you don't know or don't have a monsters weakness. I'm rocking the Dios Blade+. I have a slight addiction problem when it comes to High Rank armor, some of them just look too good to pass up. I've seemingly got no use for Zinogre gear but it looks so swank that I had to make it. Same with the Rhopessa and Peco U armor, though Rhopessa did actually help with grinding Brachydios.

Jealous of the weapons I see with white sharpness, damn Lances and Sword and Shield! Getting a Blue Sharpness weapon as quick as possible is what helped me get this far to begin with, but I can't see anything in the near future on my upgrade trees with improved sharpness. Oh well.

On the bright side there's always Goldbeard for when you finally hit G. Crazy early incredibly good Sharp +1 set by any standards. Narga weapons have great sharpness too and should be makable at where you are now

Man God

Non-Canon Member
On the bright side there's always Goldbeard for when you finally hit G. Crazy early incredibly good Sharp +1 set by any standards. Narga weapons have great sharpness too and should be makable at where you are now

Yeah I've beaten Narga once so far, fun fight. Going to get a buddy up to HR 4 tonight and then try and farm Colorful Beasts to see what we can get.

EDIT: The upgraded Narga GS is pretty easy to make and has white sharpness...only it needs G Rank ore to do it.

Anura

Yeah I've beaten Narga once so far, fun fight. Going to get a buddy up to HR 4 tonight and then try and farm Colorful Beasts to see what we can get.

EDIT: The upgraded Narga GS is pretty easy to make and has white sharpness...only it needs G Rank ore to do it.

Pretty sure the hammer gets white once upgraded and it can be upgraded at high. Not sure what weapons you use though

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Pretty sure the hammer gets white once upgraded and it can be upgraded at high. Not sure what weapons you use though

I do dabble in Hammer, maybe I'll check this out.

The deceptively short range on Hammers though always messes me up after Great Swording for a few fights in a row.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
After playing with some friends on Friday again I decided to try giving G-Rank quests solo another shot

Man stuns are still fucking bullshit.

Anura

I do dabble in Hammer, maybe I'll check this out.

The deceptively short range on Hammers though always messes me up after Great Swording for a few fights in a row.

Lol, I am the opposite. Going to hammer to GS always messes up my GSing. With the huge SP range I always overestimate my charge length

MegaMelon

Well, I cleared G-Rank 1* solo and it was a lot better than I thought it would be. I was almost in tears when I was given the urgent quest to hunt 2 Brachydios, finally I could upgrade my Dios Slicers+ to demolition blades! Just missing 2 Brach Ebonshell+ which thankfully is a common drop. Even better, I can keep farming the Sticky Situation quest to get the Spectral Demolishers! Honestly, I'm starting to think maybe online should've been limited for some of the G-Rank 1* quests. The feeling of accomplishment and skill after beating some of those quests solo is irreplaceable.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I don't understand how anyone can solo G-Rank Brachy. I have Uragaan Armor and I play defensively and if you have even 3/4ths health it feels like he can instakill you if he lands that leap

Anura

I don't understand how anyone can solo G-Rank Brachy. I have Uragaan Armor and I play defensively and if you have even 3/4ths health it feels like he can instakill you if he lands that leap

Well you have Goldbeard gear then so that's a godsend and with a fast nimble weapon he is much easier.. Also if you think that's bad you should google MH4 LVL100 Teostra or Shagura Magala.

tuffy

For those explosive leaps, it helps to roll under the attack in the direction Brachy is leaping from rather than backward or to the sides.

Here's an epic Brachydios solo run to give you an idea of how to take him on.

upandaway

I did the double brachy urgent solo, wasn't that bad. I'm pretty sure I can only do it with a lance though.

Exuro

Got this game like 2 weeks agoon the Wii U. Just downed Barioth and next up is either Uragaan or Agnaktor for weapon upgrade. Liking dual blades a lot. Should have the game "beaten" by the weekend(watching dota 2 tourney) but excited to go into high rank.

popyea

I did the double brachy urgent solo, wasn't that bad. I'm pretty sure I can only do it with a lance though.

I did it too but it was fucking soul crushing. Failed 3 times and only finished with a minute to spare on the 4th. That feeling when it's done though oh my god.

Murray97

So me and a friend have started playing this game today online for the first time and we are both really new to the game and can't do any of the online quests except the ones where you don't have to kill anything.

For example we have tried to kill Qurupeco loads of times now and we spent like 20 minutes attacking it without it dying and then a massive dragon thing came and killed us?

Are we not supposed to be doing online or something? I really want to play this with a friend as I don't think it'll be as fun singleplayer.

popyea

So me and a friend have started playing this game today online for the first time and we are both really new to the game and can't do any of the online quests except the ones where you don't have to kill anything.

For example we have tried to kill Qurupeco loads of times now and we spent like 20 minutes attacking it without it dying and then a massive dragon thing came and killed us?

Are we not supposed to be doing online or something? I really want to play this with a friend as I don't think it'll be as fun singleplayer.

Bring dung bombs with you and throw them at any large monsters that the Qurupeco summons. I did online from the start with my brother and perhaps I had a smoother time because i was already accustomed to how things worked. But it definitely allows it, so just keep at it.

Fistwell

Start with a great jaggi, kill it a few times, build his armor set, try to upgrade your weapons. NB: 20 mins is not necessarily a long time to kill something, especially if undergeared. Let us know if you want a hand online (just started an alt, HR1).

MegaMelon

I did it too but it was fucking soul crushing. Failed 3 times and only finished with a minute to spare on the 4th. That feeling when it's done though oh my god.

Woah may I ask what weapons/armor you were using? I was using a G.Ceadeus armor set with Sharpness+1/DivineBlessing/Bombardier/Earplugs with the Dios Slicers+ and I cleared it in under 40 mins no problem. Maybe it's cause I've fought Brachy many times but it felt just like when you first fight him in village high rank.

popyea

Woah may I ask what weapons/armor you were using? I was using a G.Ceadeus armor set with Sharpness+1/DivineBlessing/Bombardier/Earplugs with the Dios Slicers+ and I cleared it in under 40 mins no problem. Maybe it's cause I've fought Brachy many times but it felt just like when you first fight him in village high rank.

Just a mess of armor. A water longsword, Water Attack+1 was my only skill, and only 5 fire defense (I probably used food to beef that up during the quest though). It was all high rank armor too I think. My problem is that my internet is so bad that I couldn't get it done online (constant drop outs). I really should have just gotten myself a decent set first.

tuffy

It's also sometimes useful to dung bomb Qurupeco and chase him to another room rather than the summoned monster, so long as he's paintballed for easy tracking. Checking the supply box at low rank often provides good hints on how to deal with the monster by the sort of items it gives you.

But if you're really stuck, just say the word and we'll be ready to lend a hand. I can whip up some starter gear really quickly to provide assistance without turning the hunt into a total cakewalk.

Anura

I'm going to be honest and say that for non-elder dragons above 30-min is soul crushing for me. 25+ is a rarity even.

Murray97

Thanks for the tips, I'll give it a go later. I guess the monster doesn't regain HP if it goes to a different area or something right?

Will try throwing dung at the Qurupeco next time the big massive thing arrives.

tuffy

Thanks for the tips, I'll give it a go later. I guess the monster doesn't regain HP if it goes to a different area or something right?

Almost nothing a monster does lets it regain health; sleeping, pouncing on the hunter to take bites and Qurupeco's healing song are the only exceptions I can think of - and even then the amount of health regained is small.

So long as you keep hitting it with your weapons, it will go down sooner or later. I guarantee it.

Murray97

Alright so we just spent 40 minutes fighting Qurupeco and still couldn't kill it. No idea if we just suck massively or not but I think we need help.

If anyone is willing to come and show us how its done I'll love you forever.

World - Free E
Lobby 8
Lobby name - plshelp

Anura

The only monsters in MH to gain HP when leaving the area are the "Dromes" in MHFU and earlier. It's predominantly because they didn't have a sleep or limp animation.

Llyranor

Just started playing the game today with a friend. We did a few 1-star quests first to get used to the game, then jumped in the first real mission, Playing with Fire. Fighting that dodo bird and his wyvern buddy. And jolly ^&%^@! That was super intense! Took us 2-3 tries, but we finally took it down (after losing two lives already, so we were at the edge of our seat). Maaaaan, this game is amazing. Fun combat, and super bosses. Looking forward to pouring countless hours into this game.

Exuro

Whoo I just beat the final boss of the story mode. Feels pretty good. Also took down purple royal ludroth which was pretty tough considering how much damage he outputs. I guess I need to upgrade my wroggi gear sometime.

Are all large monsters harder in high rank mode or is it just adding subspecies that are harder?

tuffy

Thanks to you guys that came to help out <3

This game is a lot of fun :D Will have to do it again sometime soon.
<- Sassy

I'm happy to be of some use! It's worth going through Village quests too if you get the chance. They ease new players into the game a little more and introduce concepts like monster capturing which are useful to know.
Whoo I just beat the final boss of the story mode. Feels pretty good. Also took down purple royal ludroth which was pretty tough considering how much damage he outputs. I guess I need to upgrade my wroggi gear sometime.

Are all large monsters harder in high rank mode or is it just adding subspecies that are harder?
You've taken your first step into a larger world. There's high rank versions of all the low rank monsters, like high rank Great Jaggis and high rank Rathians, in addition to all new subspecies. It's when the game starts to take away some of your training aids like supply box items and ramps up the difficulty. If you can stick with your low rank gear a little further, you'll be able to make Volvidon S which is easy to forge and offers a number of useful skills that can see you through the end of high rank.

Exuro

You've taken your first step into a larger world. There's high rank versions of all the low rank monsters, like high rank Great Jaggis and high rank Rathians, in addition to all new subspecies. It's when the game starts to take away some of your training aids like supply box items and ramps up the difficulty. If you can stick with your low rank gear a little further, you'll be able to make Volvidon S which is easy to forge and offers a number of useful skills that can see you through the end of high rank.
Thanks. I certainly feel the training wheels dropping with the lack of goodies in the box. I had to use all of my pots during purple royal ludroth so I know my defense is going to be a pain for a bit. I've heard going for the high rank Wroggi gear is a good choice for dual blades, so I think my goal right now is to get this and try to not get smacked around so hard.

Also whats up with the S and U gear? I noticed two sets of high rank ludroth gear with each letter.

Also, high rank great wroggi was a lot easier than anticipated.

Anura

Yup with G rank being even harder! Welcome to the world of MH!

Top Bottom