• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Quadratic

Sassy that Alatreon was intense, holy shit. And to think someone people can actually solo it... BYE

I recently beat the village one with less than 5 mins to spare using LS. Once you learn it's patterns and practice it's not so bad. Especially if you are a hammer user since the head is super weak to blunt damage.

tuffy

I recently beat the village one with less than 5 mins to spare using LS. Once you learn it's patterns and practice it's not so bad. Especially if you are a hammer user since the head is super weak to blunt damage.
When I tried bowgunning the Village one, I finished it off with literally seconds to spare. That's when I stopped trying shot damage against it.

But then I tried the infamous Kelbi Bow and beat it in about 20 minutes just by spamming "X" to build up a lot of slime explosions. It got the job done, but wasn't very satisfying at all.

Mephala

Depends... Do you want to be Marked as a Hero™?

Well, when you make it so bold and red like that, it does make me want it...

There is the "mark of a hero quest" as fest said but after you beat that you unlock high rank Alatreon.

Ok. I don't know what Alatreon is but it is now one of my many next goals. Do I need to finish all the village quests or just the 9 star ones?

Garteal

All. If you just want to fight him though you can easily do so in Tanzia by either getting your HR up or doing one of the event quests.

tuffy

Ok. I don't know what Alatreon is but it is now one of my many next goals. Do I need to finish all the village quests or just the 9 star ones?
Unlocking Mark of a Hero™ requires clearing all the Village quests, and Alatreon opens up after that.

Victrix

*beard*
Attn: MHGAF

I have procured the legendary device known as the WII U and accompanying accouterments viz. MH3ULTIMATE

I seek to slay MONSTERS

More specifically, is there still a healthy gaf online scene for this?

Do I need or want some sort of pro pad dealy or can I use my old GC one? I don't know these things.

Garteal

Try the gamepad. I have a Pro Controller but prefer the gamepad since it provides useful features such as combining w/o having to enter menus etc. See what you prefer.

There are a handful of people atm that I know that are active. See this and the previous page for example.

tuffy

More specifically, is there still a healthy gaf online scene for this?
I'll hop online to help whenever my schedule and time zone permits. The servers are packed full of randoms every day of the week too so there's no shortage of people to play with.
Do I need or want some sort of pro pad dealy or can I use my old GC one? I don't know these things.
The upsides of the gamepad are that you can bounce to off-TV play, combine items right on its screen and use it as a keyboard to send messages online if you don't have a USB keyboard to plug in. But the pro controller is lighter and its battery lasts for days.

Rawk Hawk

Thanks to those who added me, I started up the game last night and I'm fairly awful at this point... so might be a little while before I venture into multiplayer, but so far it's really fun. Don't think I'm ignoring you or anything.

Bought a hunter's armor set (the mail one, not vest one), and have been using dual blades so far. Tried greatsword, almost died to the weakest enemies in the game, they move so fast and I'm so bad with the controls.

At this point my only grip is the text size, which I couldn't seem to find a why to increase? It wasn't bad, but would be slightly better if I could just have it pop up on the gamepad or bigger on the screen. I didn't trying playing where the tv and gamepad are the same, I was going to try that tonight and see if it's easier to read when it's on the gamepad. I really like the pro controller, if I use that can I keep the gamepad near by to grab and combine or any of the other gamepad functions? Or once I switch to pro controller, is the gamepad rendered useless?

tuffy

Thanks to those who added me, I started up the game last night and I'm fairly awful at this point... so might be a little while before I venture into multiplayer, but so far it's really fun. Don't think I'm ignoring you or anything.
I didn't hop online until I'd finished all of the low rank quests and nearly all of the high rank Village quests. It's a good learning experience.

Since they dump all the starter weapons in your box right from the start, it's good to try out different ones to see what you like. The Moga Woods is totally no-risk since there's no time limit, you can cart an infinite number of times and exit anytime - so feel free to experiment.
At this point my only grip is the text size, which I couldn't seem to find a why to increase? It wasn't bad, but would be slightly better if I could just have it pop up on the gamepad or bigger on the screen. I didn't trying playing where the tv and gamepad are the same, I was going to try that tonight and see if it's easier to read when it's on the gamepad. I really like the pro controller, if I use that can I keep the gamepad near by to grab and combine or any of the other gamepad functions? Or once I switch to pro controller, is the gamepad rendered useless?
The nonadjustable tiny text size is a common complaint. If you use the pro controller, the gamepad's touch screen does still work for those functions but its buttons/sticks stop working.

Garteal

Good choice. I'd say finish the offline story at least before you delve into multiplayer. But the choice is ultimately yours.

Bought a hunter's armor set (the mail one, not vest one), and have been using dual blades so far. Tried greatsword, almost died to the weakest enemies in the game, they move so fast and I'm so bad with the controls.
Yep, it's slow but it does a lot of damage in comparison. You can't just dash in head first and hack and slash. There's a lot of patience and timing required with Monster Hunter. You'll get used to it eventually. Just don't give up.

At this point my only grip is the text size, which I couldn't seem to find a why to increase? It wasn't bad, but would be slightly better if I could just have it pop up on the gamepad or bigger on the screen. I didn't trying playing where the tv and gamepad are the same, I was going to try that tonight and see if it's easier to read when it's on the gamepad.
You find it small? It's pretty big and a huge step up from Tri. It's going to be even harder to read on the gamepad I'm afraid since it's just a scaled down image of the main screen.

I really like the pro controller, if I use that can I keep the gamepad near by to grab and combine or any of the other gamepad functions? Or once I switch to pro controller, is the gamepad rendered useless?
Yes you can use both controllers. Play with one and combine with the other.

Antialias

I had a huge pang of longing to kill wyverns again the other day so I came back to this game. Unfortunately my save is gone but I don't really mind doing the low rank stuff again. I hope the servers aren't just full of G-rankers? I can play solo but it's a bit less fun.

Garteal

There's plenty of low rank people around and if you're having trouble, you can post here and some of us could tag along with low level gear or characters.

Rawk Hawk

I didn't hop online until I'd finished all of the low rank quests and nearly all of the high rank Village quests. It's a good learning experience.

Since they dump all the starter weapons in your box right from the start, it's good to try out different ones to see what you like. The Moga Woods is totally no-risk since there's no time limit, you can cart an infinite number of times and exit anytime - so feel free to experiment.

Oh, I wasn't aware that finite carts and time limits were coming, thanks for the heads up, I will certainly try them all out then.

The nonadjustable tiny text size is a common complaint. If you use the pro controller, the gamepad's touch screen does still work for those functions but its buttons/sticks stop working.

Thanks!

Good choice. I'd say finish the offline story at least before you delve into multiplayer. But the choice is ultimately yours.

Yep, it's slow but it does a lot of damage in comparison. You can't just dash in head first and hack and slash. There's a lot of patience and timing required with Monster Hunter. You'll get used to it eventually. Just don't give up.

Thanks, I figured it would take a little bit to get into. I'm sure once I've seen the same monsters a few times it will get easier, knowing openings and patterns seems to be a general topic here on the forums, I'll get it soon enough.

You find it small? It's pretty big and a huge step up from Tri. It's going to be even harder to read on the gamepad I'm afraid since it's just a scaled down image of the main screen.

Yea it's a little small for me, I only have a 42" TV in the bedroom, from the bed it was hard to read, I generally take out my contacts at night and my glasses aren't as up to date with the prescription, so that's probably more the issue than anything.

Good to know about the gamepad though, I guess I thought maybe it was a somewhat different interface since it would be scaled down, but sounds like it's just the TV image on the pad itself with no other changes. Which isn't bad either, I've played a bit of Xenoblade that way so the family could watch the TV, haha.

Yes you can use both controllers. Play with one and combine with the other.

Awesome news, thanks for the help.

windfish

There's plenty of low rank people around and if you're having trouble, you can post here and some of us could tag along with low level gear or characters.

This sounds like a good reason to play again, have not played for ages but doing some low rank stuff might still fit my rusty skills.
If anyone needs help just add me (ko_Faust), pm or give me a ring, i'm all in for some casual hunting :)

I know right? I think capcom was drunk when they came up with that.

They had to be, but then it does force you to go hunt the woods as well as do quests. I need to find a list of what monsters will give me what items for trade to the captain. Although just entering High Rank for the village (3DS version with no local friends or a WiiU to play online with) I might not have the monster that gives me a 5* item. The biggest monster is a daytime Lagi.

Tenrius

Oh, this thread is really active, what a nice surprise. I'm joining the ranks of low level people: played this game for 20 hours, currently have a couple of 3 star village quest remaining. Didn't have a chance to go online before due to not having the Wii U, but now I got the system and the game for it.

Rolling with Rugged Great Sword and Great Jaggi Armor. It seems I won't be able to upgrade the sword further until I get to the tundra. Also got a couple of attack jewels, so I get a larger attack boost from the armor. Doing pretty good so far, although I've been having issues with capture quests: I usually run out of traps to use and/or kill the monster, which is why I've been avoiding that three star capture quest.

The sword upgrade paths are quite confusing, by the way. I'm not really sure which one to pick.

Oh, and any other new players who might be interesting in hunting online with me: please add me, the username is the same (Tenrius).

Oh, this thread is really active, what a nice surprise. I'm joining the ranks of low level people: played this game for 20 hours, currently have a couple of 3 star village quest remaining. Didn't have a chance to go online before due to not having the Wii U, but now I got the system and the game for it.

Rolling with Rugged Great Sword and Great Jaggi Armor. It seems I won't be able to upgrade the sword further until I get to the tundra. Also got a couple of attack jewels, so I get a larger attack boost from the armor. Doing pretty good so far, although I've been having issues with capture quests: I usually run out of traps to use and/or kill the monster, which is why I've been avoiding that three star capture quest.

The easiest thing I have found for capture quests is to take things slow and deliberate. Keep attacking until they limp and run away, once they do let them go to the nest to sleep. When they are asleep go in and put a shock trap down right next to them, kick them to wake them up and then they will be instantly shocked. Tranq bomb them with 2 bombs and you got them.

Garteal

Yep it's quite active which is nice to see. Hopefully we can keep at least a small active community here.
I'll be adding anyone that hasn't added me yet who have posted their NNID here.

Yea it's a little small for me, I only have a 42" TV in the bedroom, from the bed it was hard to read, I generally take out my contacts at night and my glasses aren't as up to date with the prescription, so that's probably more the issue than anything.
I see heh, I play on my monitor from pretty close, but I'm sure I wont have issues from far away.

Good to know about the gamepad though, I guess I thought maybe it was a somewhat different interface since it would be scaled down, but sounds like it's just the TV image on the pad itself with no other changes. Which isn't bad either, I've played a bit of Xenoblade that way so the family could watch the TV, haha.
It's blurry due to the scale, but it might be easier to read for you then since it's closer to you.

This sounds like a good reason to play again, have not played for ages but doing some low rank stuff might still fit my rusty skills.
If anyone needs help just add me (ko_Faust), pm or give me a ring, i'm all in for some casual hunting :)
What HR are you? Not that it really matters though, just curious.

When they are asleep go in and put a shock trap down right next to them, kick them to wake them up and then they will be instantly shocked. Tranq bomb them with 2 bombs and you got them.
You don't even need to kick em. Just place the trap, switch to your tranqs and throw it at em when they're shocked or stuck in a hole.

Rawk Hawk

I see heh, I play on my monitor from pretty close, but I'm sure I wont have issues from far away.

It's blurry due to the scale, but it might be easier to read for you then since it's closer to you.

May only be 30. but I'm pretty sure my eyes are well beyond that age. I already own reading glasses.. although I did get a yellow tint and anti-reflection on them so they are kind of like gaming glasses as well, make shift Gunnars for the win!

I watched a few videos of the weapon options, I sort of like most of them. Thinking tonight I'll give switch axe a try though, that caught my eye as the one I liked most.

You don't even need to kick em. Just place the trap, switch to your tranqs and throw it at em when they're shocked or stuck in a hole.

Oh? That's good to know, from my experience even when placing a trap next to them while they sleep you still had to wake them up got spring the trap. Hence the kicking before throwing the tranq bombs.

tuffy

Oh? That's good to know, from my experience even when placing a trap next to them while they sleep you still had to wake them up got spring the trap. Hence the kicking before throwing the tranq bombs.
It depends on the monster and where you place your trap. Sometimes it triggers instantly and wakes them for easy tranq-ing, but sometimes it's a little off. But if you know how the monster rights itself when waking up you should be able to place the trap, hit it with tranq bombs to wake it up, and capture it instantly when its feet land on the trap but before it can do anything.

Tranq bombs can be "pre-applied" before the monster even hits the trap (and sometimes even before it's capture-able, if you're fast enough), so it's okay to use them first if need be.

It depends on the monster and where you place your trap. Sometimes it triggers instantly and wakes them for easy tranq-ing, but sometimes it's a little off. But if you know how the monster rights itself when waking up you should be able to place the trap, hit it with tranq bombs to wake it up, and capture it instantly when its feet land on the trap but before it can do anything.

Tranq bombs can be "pre-applied" before the monster even hits the trap (and sometimes even before it's capture-able, if you're fast enough), so it's okay to use them first if need be.

Awesome I'll have to try that. It's hard to break years of habit from MHFU for things in this game.

Garteal

I watched a few videos of the weapon options, I sort of like most of them. Thinking tonight I'll give switch axe a try though, that caught my eye as the one I liked most.
That's a good choice. I personally found it a tad slow too slow for my liking, but I'll be giving it another try later when I get bored of my katana. Be careful though with the upper swing when you play online as it launches people in the sky.

It triggers by itself after a second or two on any monster when they're asleep. Kicking em is a tad faster, but you might aswell throw tranqs instead.

Just a little addendum to what tuffy has explained; the pre-tranqing has a small duration of effect. So when you tranq a monster twice and it hits a trap within that period it'll be insta captured. When the duration has expired and it's stuck in the trap, you only need to tranq it once to capture it.

Fistwell

Added a bunch of new people who posted their NNID in the last cple of pages. Mine's Fistwell.

Edit: opned a room in 11 G rank A: GaF~G01D. See you out there. (hi Faust)

tuffy

Just a little addendum to what tuffy has explained; the pre-tranqing has a small duration of effect. So when you tranq a monster twice and it hits a trap within that period it'll be insta captured. When the duration has expired and it's stuck in the trap, you only need to tranq it once to capture it.
That's basically it. Imagine a monster has an invisible health gauge and an invisible tranq gauge. The health gauge goes down when you hit it with your weapon. The tranq gauge goes up when you hit it with tranq bombs, but goes back down slowly over time.

A monster's captured whenever it's caught in a trap, its health gauge is below a certain threshold and its tranq gauge is above a certain threshold.

Usually you get its health low enough, wait for it to wander into the trap, then hit it with two tranq bombs. But you can hit it with the tranq bombs first if it gets into the trap soon enough afterwards. Or, if its health turns out to be a little too high, it's possible to trap it, hit it with tranq bombs and then hit it with your weapon some more to bring its health down enough for the capture (assuming the trap doesn't give out first).

Rawk Hawk

That's a good choice. I personally found it a tad slow too slow for my liking, but I'll be giving it another try later when I get bored of my katana. Be careful though with the upper swing when you play online as it launches people in the sky.

There is friendly fire? Hmm..

I would like to take this opportunity to formally apologize to anyone who adventures with me in the future, both for the mistaken attacks as well as the on purpose ones that I then told you "was a mistake", only to do it again when you tried to sharpen your blade. It was truly childish and won't happen again... during this play session.

This weekend I may have some decent time to plug into this game, either solo or possibly online, what would a good base line be for online play? Least like Jaggi level armor? (Kind of like Wroggi set actually, whenever I get high enough to farm it). Or is it more skill based when you'd be helpful in a group?

Tenrius

Yay, I killed the bananasaur! That capturing advice was pretty good too, thanks. I didn't realize it took exactly two tranq bombs to capture the poor thing.

Garteal

I would like to take this opportunity to formally apologize to anyone who adventures with me in the future, both for the mistaken attacks as well as the on purpose ones that I then told you "was a mistake", only to do it again when you tried to sharpen your blade. It was truly childish and won't happen again... during this play session.

This weekend I may have some decent time to plug into this game, either solo or possibly online, what would a good base line be for online play? Least like Jaggi level armor? (Kind of like Wroggi set actually, whenever I get high enough to farm it). Or is it more skill based when you'd be helpful in a group?
There's only friendly collisions. You don't damage them, but it's annoying for the other person if you keep hitting him and sending him flying etc. Most people don't have too much issues with it (from what I've seen so far) though.

Any armor to be honest. Online, especially the first rank quests are really easy to push through especially with a full party. Your skill is definitely more important, but your armor really helps, so keep it up to date. When you're good enough you won't have to rely on your armor as much.
As for armor set choices, you should check what skills they have. Personally I like Qurupecos armor for low and high rank as it has Wide-Range (which heals others in the area). I went for the sub-specie variant though. See which you like better. (High rank stuff).

Anura

Friendly fire doesn't do damage but it will flinch people or send then flying depending on the move.

Garteal

Added a bunch of new people who posted their NNID in the last cple of pages. Mine's Fistwell.

Edit: opned a room in 11 G rank A: GaF~G01D. See you out there. (hi Faust)
Had some good hunting here with you guys. Thanks for assisting with the HR7 urgent.

Looking forward to hunt with you again and other Gaffers!

windfish

Edit: I also enjoy los gunner set (attack up and rapid fire+1) gem'd with bombardier (or whichever one it is that boosts crags), with the felyne food skills and ancient lbg. Unload crags (and cluster) all day. Great for annoying melee teammates sent flying by nonstop explosions (incidentally, also great for breaking parts and knocking out monsters but who gives a shit).

ah now i understand :D
alot of fun hunting with you guys Festwill, Garteal, good job euro gang :)

Fistwell

ah now i understand :D
Troll-face-problem.jpg

Shizuka

Are there any patches for the Wii U version of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate? I got the game yesterday, but my Wii U isn't hooked up to the internet.

MegaMelon

Dire Miralis was hella easier then I thought it would be. Now I want to farm him to make them delicious DS. A shame only a few rooms are hunting him in comparison to say G.Ceadeus. Also, my NNID is megamelon if anyone wants to add me :)

Shizuka

Oh, how do I check for patches again? I'm online, but do I need to run the game once and it'll verify the need for the patch?

tuffy

Oh, how do I check for patches again? I'm online, but do I need to run the game once and it'll verify the need for the patch?
It should check for the patch and install it automatically once you start the game. More recent versions of the Wii U OS may download it in the background also when the system is turned off so all that's needed is the install step when you start the game.

Shizuka

It should check for the patch and install it automatically once you start the game. More recent versions of the Wii U OS may download it in the background also when the system is turned off so all that's needed is the install step when you start the game.

Worked like a charm. Thanks again, tuffy.

I'm trying to set up some 4 player local multiplayer with some friends and I've got a question: Can I set up 2 WiiUs and 2 3DS' and have them all play together or is that a no go?

Top Bottom