• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Can anyone here who's played MH4 tell me something about the difficulty? I'm kinda hoping the series will return to its former glory but realistically I'm expecting it to be as easy as the last few games. MH3, P3rd and 3U feel like you shouldn't play with more than 2 people if you want to not destroy the monster in seconds.

Fistwell

Can anyone here who's played MH4 tell me something about the difficulty? I'm kinda hoping the series will return to its former glory but realistically I'm expecting it to be as easy as the last few games. MH3, P3rd and 3U feel like you shouldn't play with more than 2 people if you want to not destroy the monster in seconds.
Not much harder than Tri, maybe a tiny bit. Some of the nerfs to returning dos monsters are pretty shameless. Khezu's become a fat, harmless, prancing thunder chickin *cries*. Difficulty is pretty soft throughout, gets a little more interesting at the end. Late game monsters can get a little tough, probably a bit more than in 3U. High lvl (guild quest) kush, teo, jang... Even with a decent group, it's never a guaranteed win. Some attacks can 1-shot even a decent blademaster set.

Havent played 4 in a while though, might want to ask some of the 4 regulars. I'm sure Anura would love to write you a 50 page essay on rajang.

Anura

The same in that regard for normal quests however level 100 GQ stuff will one shot you easy. GQ monsters usually take about 10 minutes with 4 people and generally take 20+ minutes to solo.

Edit: it's also worth noting that there's no G rank yet.

Fistwell

Yeah, like Anura implies, they're likely to touch up the difficulty curve for the inclusion of G rank. Early 3U was a lot easier/quicker than in Tri.

Fistwell

Yeah we should. I'm just so out of touch with 4 though... don't really have any objective or anything.. Guess we could just do high lvl GQs and see what drops.

yayaba

Just started this last week and I'm having a blast. I can definitely sense how many hours I'm going to sink into this game just by the first 5 hours of playing.

I'm playing on the 3DS and the graphics are a little muddy at times and the text blur drives me nuts but I power through those as best as I can.

Is MH4 any better on the graphical front? Especially since I'm alternating between Zelda: ALBW and this, the former being very vibrant and legible.

Also, I know basically zero people who play this game. Are the quests in Port Tanzia worth it to solo or am I going to get blocked at a certain point from doing the higher level quests?

tuffy

Also, I know basically zero people who play this game. Are the quests in Port Tanzia worth it to solo or am I going to get blocked at a certain point from doing the higher level quests?
There's no quest that has to be done in multiplayer. Even the crazy super-sized event monsters can be done solo if you're dedicated enough. But it's a good idea to do a lot of the Moga quests first since all the monster health is balanced for a single player. On the Port side, everything has about 25% more health than its Moga counterparts which will make those quests more challenging if you're just starting out, though you'll need to get to them eventually in order to reach G rank.

Anura

Just started this last week and I'm having a blast. I can definitely sense how many hours I'm going to sink into this game just by the first 5 hours of playing.

I'm playing on the 3DS and the graphics are a little muddy at times and the text blur drives me nuts but I power through those as best as I can.

Is MH4 any better on the graphical front? Especially since I'm alternating between Zelda: ALBW and this, the former being very vibrant and legible.

Here is the demo from the E3 treehouse stream.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2hwY9lJuSmg
As you can see the text is a million times better!

yayaba

So I find the in-game Monster List to be pretty lacking in that it only shows a cartoon representation of what the monster looks like and not what it actually does in-game.

Is there a way I can toggle something that shows me what I'm attacking? I spent the longest time killing Jaggi before I realized that what I was killing wasn't the Jaggia that I needed. But the two looked pretty similar.

tuffy

So I find the in-game Monster List to be pretty lacking in that it only shows a cartoon representation of what the monster looks like and not what it actually does in-game.

Is there a way I can toggle something that shows me what I'm attacking? I spent the longest time killing Jaggi before I realized that what I was killing wasn't the Jaggia that I needed. But the two looked pretty similar.
There's pictures of all the small monsters in the Monster Hunter wiki. Or, you can always check the quest status from the menu to see how many small monsters are left to see if you're making progress.

tuffy

Hey guys, recommend me a good G-Rank armor for fast weapons like Dual Blades or Long Sword?
Yamato/Hyuga Prime from Hallowed Jhen might be a good choice. You get Sharpness +1 and Razor Sharp on the same set and a pretty good slot distribution (2, 3 slot pieces and 1, 2 slot piece).

Mine01

I bought this game a while ago, put 12 hours on it and never touch it again, it was pretty fun but man that Gombul kept kicking my ass i just stopped playing.

It was my first Mon Hun so i didnt grasp most mechanics.

is there any in depth guide for the game, like game mechanics etc? I need something to play this summer :(

tuffy

is there any in depth guide for the game, like game mechanics etc? I need something to play this summer :(
I learned all the basics from mazereon's bowgun guide and corresponding video. And since I had no idea what I was doing at first either, I also picked up the BradyGames guide which has a ton of info on weapons, armor sets, monster hitzones, drop rates and so on. But these days, sites like Kiranico have a lot of that same info in a convenient hyperlinked format.

jercruz

Finally able to creates the weapons from the super i.lagi, brachy, and styg. zinogre events.

I feel burned out... Time to start gunning!

tuffy

Sassy that Alatreon was intense, holy shit. And to think someone people can actually solo it... BYE

Thanks for helping me! :)
I'm always glad to help.

Alatreon's always intense. He's also my biggest weakness since his elemental weaknesses vary and he takes so little shot damage, so gunning him is usually out of the question. I know just enough Switch Axe to get by, at least. It did give me an idea for a new anti-Alatreon set using the Mizar's Asterism though. Challenger +2 for damage, Rock Steady to counter his roar, Evade Extender for mobility and enough flame resistance to take a surprise fireball to the face.

Anura

Learn to hammer or GS Alatreon. Unlike the original Tri, Ala lowers his head a ton and gives plenty if openings. You can solo him in like 30-40 min with even mediocre hammering

tuffy

I do know enough Great Swording to get by in an emergency, but every time I get too greedy and get knocked out of the middle of a charged hit I feel like an imbecile who should know better. Perhaps I should practice it some more.

I will get around to the hammer eventually, though!

Finally get to do 9* Village quests. Zinogre was fun. I thought I was going to have to do the quest over after getting carted twice but killed it with one hit after I followed it to another zone.

Mephala

Technically that's a G-Rank quest with a G-Rank monster, so congrats!

Thanks! That might actually explain why he hurts so much. Whats the way to kill him? Should I be using the underwater guns? I can't believe I just missed the Dragonator... Twice. orz

you might be farming that whale for a while if you're drooling for a Sharpness +1 set with good enough def for G rank.

If anything, I'll go farm some less annoying monsters before aiming for this guy's armor. Or more likely better weapons to kill it faster. I really dislike fighting it. :\
I do want some Sharpness +1 though.

Finally get to do 9* Village quests. Zinogre was fun. I thought I was going to have to do the quest over after getting carted twice but killed it with one hit after I followed it to another zone.

Zinogre is fun, he reminds me a little of Narga with a touch of Rajang. My biggest problem with Zin is accidentally killing it when I want to capture. I know it limps but half the time it seems to just prefer to rage and attack when near death instead.

Also. Rust weapons hunting is worst :(

Edit.
I upgraded my Dios Spear and killed gold beard with it. Why I didn't use my lance before I have no idea. >8)
I got a Deep Gem in the rewards. Haven't seen what it is used for yet but I've played enough to know I want all the Gems in the world. :D :D
HR6! Yay, finally!

Garteal

Got a Wii U a couple of weeks ago and have been playing MH3U nearly every day since. I beat offline and am currently HR7. Is there anyone (low HR preferred) that wants to hunt (farms, keys, etc) sometime?

I upgraded my Dios Spear and killed gold beard with it. Why I didn't use my lance before I have no idea. >8)
I got a Deep Gem in the rewards. Haven't seen what it is used for yet but I've played enough to know I want all the Gems in the world. :D :D
HR6! Yay, finally!
Grats that's a pretty rare item. And the Dios weapons are very good yeah. They're basically my go-to weapons when I don't have a good elemental weapon which the monster is weak against.

Look forward to the HR6 urgent. I've had plenty of fun with it.

Thanks! That might actually explain why he hurts so much. Whats the way to kill him? Should I be using the underwater guns? I can't believe I just missed the Dragonator... Twice. orz

I would recommend not touching the dragonator until he does this specific thing where he will suddenly swim away, and then approach the dragonator from below and swim upwards. As long as the dragonator is ready for use he will eventually do this, and I've never seen him do it when the dragonator was on cooldown. With a full party with adequate weapons it's like a 5 minute fight (without using ballistas, that just slows the fight down imo) so farming him might not be such a chore when you find a good group. And the armor is good for basically any situation.

I'm always glad to help.

Alatreon's always intense. He's also my biggest weakness since his elemental weaknesses vary and he takes so little shot damage, so gunning him is usually out of the question. I know just enough Switch Axe to get by, at least. It did give me an idea for a new anti-Alatreon set using the Mizar's Asterism though. Challenger +2 for damage, Rock Steady to counter his roar, Evade Extender for mobility and enough flame resistance to take a surprise fireball to the face.

Man, I had been awake for about 30 hours, otherwise I would have stayed to help. :(

If you're willing to sacrifice Evade Extender, you could go for a set like this.

It's possible to get Latent Power+2 with a better charm. And yeah, I'm not a fan of Latent Power, but it's a nice luxury skill to add on top of Attack Up Large and Critical Eye+3.

On a side note, I have too many mixed sets and would like to start working on stylish full sets. I have only made a Rath Heart Z set so far. Rath Soul Z and Agnaktor Z are both legitimately good, so I'd like something a little bit more gimmicky. Any recommendations?

Got a Wii U a couple of weeks ago and have been playing MH3U nearly every day since. I beat offline and am currently HR7. Is there anyone (low HR preferred) that wants to hunt (farms, keys, etc) sometime?

Grats that's a pretty rare item. And the Dios weapons are very good yeah. They're basically my go-to weapons when I don't have a good elemental weapon which the monster is weak against.

Look forward to the HR6 urgent. I've had plenty of fun with it.

Sure.

Jakncoke is my NNID

Fistwell

something a little bit more gimmicky
Off the top of my head, giggi maybe? Believe it has awaken and status. If you're feeling particularly cheeky, go for the giggi gunner set (status) with kitty kettle. The only thing more awesome than annoying the shit out of your teammates with non-stop kitty sounds is status whooping a monster for successive para-sleep/bomb-poison over and over again. As long as you don't plan on dealing much dmg at all, you're in for a laugh.

Edit: I also enjoy los gunner set (attack up and rapid fire+1) gem'd with bombardier (or whichever one it is that boosts crags), with the felyne food skills and ancient lbg. Unload crags (and cluster) all day. Great for annoying melee teammates sent flying by nonstop explosions (incidentally, also great for breaking parts and knocking out monsters but who gives a shit).

Off the top of my head, giggi maybe? Believe it has awaken and status. If you're feeling particularly cheeky, go for the giggi gunner set (status) with kitty kettle. The only thing more awesome than annoying the shit out of your teammates with non-stop kitty sounds is status whooping a monster for successive para-sleep/bomb-poison over and over again. As long as you don't plan on dealing much dmg at all, you're in for a laugh.

Edit: I also enjoy los gunner set (attack up and rapid fire+1) gem'd with bombardier (or whichever one it is that boosts crags), with the felyne food skills and ancient lbg. Unload crags (and cluster) all day. Great for annoying melee teammates sent flying by nonstop explosions (incidentally, also great for breaking parts and knocking out monsters but who gives a shit).
These are both great ideas, thanks. I don't I've ever seen someone use the Kitty Kettle. o_o

Mephala

FunnySideUp.
I'm in Australia so I can't guarantee our schedules will let us hunt together and even then I can't guarantee my internet will be acceptable.

Others please feel free to add me. I haven't really played online.Warning though. I'm pretty greedy
until I've been carted once

tuffy

Man, I had been awake for about 30 hours, otherwise I would have stayed to help. :(

If you're willing to sacrifice Evade Extender, you could go for a set like this.
With an Expert +9 charm or better, you can get pretty much the same thing using full Miralis. It's a very popular Mizar's setup, apparently. But I've found Evade Extender to be handy against Alatreon and I'm not sure I'd want to use something quite so weak to dragon attack either.
It's possible to get Latent Power+2 with a better charm. And yeah, I'm not a fan of Latent Power, but it's a nice luxury skill to add on top of Attack Up Large and Critical Eye+3.
Latent Power seems like the least useful of the glowing arm skills. But as you say, it's better than nothing!
On a side note, I have too many mixed sets and would like to start working on stylish full sets. I have only made a Rath Heart Z set so far. Rath Soul Z and Agnaktor Z are both legitimately good, so I'd like something a little bit more gimmicky. Any recommendations?
Escadora X is a great light bowgunning set that's chock full of handy skills. Barioth Z is good for heavy bowgunning since it offers Attack Up (M) and Evade Extender outright with room for one of the Shot Up skills. Though for something truly unusual, there's always Bnahabra X with Status Atk +2, Quick Sheath and 4 points of Loading. That's probably work well with the status-heavy Arken Antiphon heavy bowgun.

Rawk Hawk

This title is downloading at my house as we speak, I am fairly new to the MH series with very little Tri experience. Subbed this thread, once I get the hang of things I look forward to hunting.

My NNID is rawkhawk13 I believe.

Just got this last night through the MK8 promotion.
I am completely new to the MH series, and would totally be up to playing with some GAFers. My knowledge of the game is Rathalos, and that you can have huge swords.
My NNID is Jimnymebob

Rawk Hawk

Just got this last night through the MK8 promotion.
I am completely new to the MH series, and would totally be up to playing with some GAFers. My knowledge of the game is Rathalos, and that you can have huge swords.
My NNID is Jimnymebob

After buying MH3U last night, reading this almost made me spit coffee all over..I checked the MK8 deal, but thought maybe I missed something. Turns out I missed this title was offered in other regions, but not NA, least I didn't miss out on a free game. On the bright side, my heart still works under distress, so that's good news.

Mephala

Quick question regarding Village quests. In MHFU after completing most of the quests you unlock the last challenge quest called Final Invitation or something like that. Is there a similar unlock with this village? Is it anything new or exciting or can I skip it and continue on my GRank gathering?

Anura

Quick question regarding Village quests. In MHFU after completing most of the quests you unlock the last challenge quest called Final Invitation or something like that. Is there a similar unlock with this village? Is it anything new or exciting or can I skip it and continue on my GRank gathering?

There is the "mark of a hero quest" as fest said but after you beat that you unlock high rank Alatreon.

Garteal

Hey, Europe here as well, and I do have one of my alts at around HR6 or 7. Let me know if you want to play some this weekend.
Sure. What's your NNID? Mine is Garteal, feel free to add me whoever wants to hunt.

Added the others who posted their NNID on the previous page.

After buying MH3U last night, reading this almost made me spit coffee all over..I checked the MK8 deal, but thought maybe I missed something. Turns out I missed this title was offered in other regions, but not NA, least I didn't miss out on a free game. On the bright side, my heart still works under distress, so that's good news.

Ha ha, sorry about that. It's a bit crap that NA didn't get it as a free game choice.

Top Bottom