• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

tuffy

My Wii U's friend list is packed full of friendly Monster Hunter players I've run into. Even most rooms full of randoms are pretty tolerant and easy-going, in my experience. Just got to know a little basic etiquette like picking rooms that are rank-appropriate and don't beg people hunting a specific target to do something totally different.

hoggert

The earlier games had a pretty terrible online community from my experience. Not quite toxic, but enough that I definitely stuck to solo hunts unless it was HR rank up quest. But after Unite and MH3+U, things have really improved online. Don't know what sort of bad experiences folks have been having other than sauntering into g-rank lobbies at hr5 haha

Haunted

I've mostly stuck to friends and GAF rooms for Tri and Ultimate, and it's served me well so far.

Playing with randoms has been hit and miss, like in any other online community. I think the (backwards) structure of the online rooms actually isn't very well suited to playing with randoms.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=875339

I'm baffled that some people consider the online community of Monster Hunter “toxic”. There sure are douchebags online like in every game but I've found the overall population to be from OK to helpful.
Yeah, it's not remotely the same level as the n-word and expletive-filled "communities" out there. Probably because it's a cooperative game, as I said in the thread.

Recently my pet peeve lately is about OP folks who come into novice rooms with OP gear. Why do people do that? I made a room called "HR3-4" (I am HR3) in the Novice lobby, and I see people at HR170 in full Alatreon armour and high-end gear come in. -_- No, I don't want you to kill the monster in 40 seconds for me. I guess that OP folks sometimes want to help newbies, but I don't want to be carried, I want to earn my hunts. Fortunately, if I request them to use a weaker weapon they usually change, but I just don't get why someone who's super high rank would even join a room called HR3-4. Can someone explain this to me? I played lots of MH Tri back in the day and by the time I was high HR I had zero interest in returning to the beginner lobbies.

Yesterday was great. A 4-player room with only HR3 (and no OP gear from village quests either, HR-appropriate gear) took out my friend's Urgent (Brachy) and it was awesome. A few close calls but not even a single death, thanks to my friend's awesome support build (Peco+ armour with Wide Range+2 and hunting horn with tons of buffs and heals) keeping us healthy as often as possible. The first time I tried Brachy a few days ago, we got murdered really bad (I carted once, not quite understanding how dangerous slime was haha, and two more players carted after, all fairly early into the quest... we weren't ready haha), but this time we took him out like pros, without help from OP folks. This is MH at its best, IMO.

PKrockin

I've found MH3U to have probably the best community of any online game I've played. At least so far in low rank and high rank. I'm betting there'll be some srs business idiots in G-rank who'll whine if you don't have the absolute best armor or skills or something, but playing with randoms has been a great experience.

Yeah, it's not remotely the same level as the n-word and expletive-filled "communities" out there. Probably because it's a cooperative game, as I said in the thread.

Recently my pet peeve lately is about OP folks who come into novice rooms with OP gear. Why do people do that? I made a room called "HR3-4" (I am HR3) in the Novice lobby, and I see people at HR170 in full Alatreon armour and high-end gear come in. -_- No, I don't want you to kill the monster in 40 seconds for me. I guess that OP folks sometimes want to help newbies, but I don't want to be carried, I want to earn my hunts. Fortunately, if I request them to use a weaker weapon they usually change, but I just don't get why someone who's super high rank would even join a room called HR3-4. Can someone explain this to me? I played lots of MH Tri back in the day and by the time I was high HR I had zero interest in returning to the beginner lobbies.

Yesterday was great. A 4-player room with only HR3 (and no OP gear from village quests either, HR-appropriate gear) took out my friend's Urgent (Brachy) and it was awesome. A few close calls but not even a single death, thanks to my friend's awesome support build (Peco+ armour with Wide Range+2 and hunting horn with tons of buffs and heals) keeping us healthy as often as possible. The first time I tried Brachy a few days ago, we got murdered really bad (I carted once, not quite understanding how dangerous slime was haha, and two more players carted after, all fairly early into the quest... we weren't ready haha), but this time we took him out like pros, without help from OP folks. This is MH at its best, IMO.
What's the deal with this? Is it just pros who've been around for so long they forgot when the game was challenging and fun? They just assume everyone is a pro who wants to rank up to G in a few hours so they can start grinding? I dunno. Unless I just want to farm something I much prefer playing someone of my own skill level too. Or I'll go into lower ranked rooms with low level weapons I'm not good with.

Anura

If they're in the free lobbey I will usually join any room that's open and not hunting a specific thing. I always assume '"free" entails any HR anyways, but "novice"? Well, I usually stay out of that one because I'm HR401 or so.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Also if my experience from Tri is any indication if you ask these guys to gear down because you want a challenge they will...and because they've been playing MH so long will do the fights practically naked a million times better than you because skill is king in MH.

Anura

Also if my experience from Tri is any indication if you ask these guys to gear down because you want a challenge they will...and because they've been playing MH so long will do the fights practically naked a million times better than you because skill is king in MH.

It's true, I can vouch for this. Low rank in the nude is the best way to do it!

tuffy

I keep a good high rank set around just in case, and the last time I helped out in low rank I spent the entire time status gunning with the Kettleblower. I don't wander into low or high rank rooms uninvited, but there's always a way to help out without trivializing all the hunts if somebody needs a hand.

Haunted

I didn't even know you could join Novice/HR 1-5 rooms if you're above a certain level. I just assumed it'd lock you out if you tried joining.

Free Lobbies like the ones we host the GAF rooms in are fair game for hunters of all skills and ranks, obviously.

I have a lot of fun helping out lower HR players get through the ranks, beating key quests, farm monsters for equipment - but only if it's consensual, of course.
thatswhatshesaid

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yo, who want to help me farm goldbread. All I need is seals and gems.

I'm taking a break from Goldy farming (mainly because I suck and could never do it by myself) and have gone to my old standard of farming Supply Constraint in G Rank. 2 Wroggis do hit hard of course but they tend to come to zone 1 so you can just fight/rest/fight real quickly. One fight and I already have half the set.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I keep a good high rank set around just in case, and the last time I helped out in low rank I spent the entire time status gunning with the Kettleblower. I don't wander into low or high rank rooms uninvited, but there's always a way to help out without trivializing all the hunts if somebody needs a hand.
Yeah, that's fine with me. Someone said they'd use a low-rank weapon they are not comfortable with, and I did start out gunning this way in Tri, even though I was pretty advanced, just to familiarize myself with gunning in general. Still, I'd not join a room called "HR-something" if I didn't meed that requirement. I just don't get why they do that. Most do change weapon for the challenge if asked nicely, but it gets annoying having to say it every time (and yes it happens that often that I'm considering adding it to a custom shoutout xD).

Also, few people seem to use the mic from the Wii U gamepad. Are people just playing on 3DS more or something? Weirder still, there are some who hear us but only type in response. o_O

I didn't even know you could join Novice/HR 1-5 rooms if you're above a certain level. I just assumed it'd lock you out if you tried joining.
In Tri you had Beginner and Advanced lobbies (or something like that, don't recall the exact name), and anyone who had a specific HR and/or had unlocked the high-rank quests would be locked out, and vice-versa. Not so much in 3U apparently.

thanks to my friend's awesome support build (Peco+ armour with Wide Range+2 and hunting horn with tons of buffs and heals) keeping us healthy as often as possible.

Hunting Horn is mistakenly thought to be a good weapon for Wide-Range +2 by a lot of people. It's in fact terrible because each time you play a song with the Hunting Horn, it has an effect similar to the Field Horn item, i.e. you're likely to be the next target of the monster(s)' attacks, and thus you have less time for healing overall. Not to mention, the sheathe animation is not really fast.

By far the best weapon for Wide-Range +2 is the Sword&Shield because it's the only one that can use items while unsheathed.

Even better, don't waste 20 points in a semi-useless skill and ask everyone to bring three Lifepowders. All of its ingredients can be bought in bulk directly from the Granny Go-to in Port Tanzia's Marina.

Quadratic

Fun hunts guys.

Hope you get that rathalos mantle Mephala. I didn't want to say in the game but I got like 4 mantles during that session ><

Mephala

That barioth+sand barioth double monster arena was EVERYTHING but cusual and relaxing :)

I'm not sure which is worse, those two or the dual Durams. I don't know why I struggle with Durams so much. Can't believe I failed that quest. Ate the axe in the back three times and died from it twice!

Edit: Great hunts overall though. Many new experiences for me, Lucent Narga is interesting. Jhen is still the same but much better with friends. I kind of enjoyed trying for coins too. Great fun all the way.

Rawk Hawk

Okay, well that sucked. Tried Ceadeus again this afternoon, got to the final area to fight him, broke his horn and carved it, with 3 minutes left he killed me, I didn't think I could really make it back in time so just spent the last minute or two at base camp awaiting for him to retreat.. But evidently that doesn't work, broke the horn and still failed the mission.

Mephala

Okay, well that sucked. Tried Ceadeus again this afternoon, got to the final area to fight him, broke his horn and carved it, with 3 minutes left he killed me, I didn't think I could really make it back in time so just spent the last minute or two at base camp awaiting for him to retreat.. But evidently that doesn't work, broke the horn and still failed the mission.

Could be you just need a little extra damage. I really struggled the first few times and failed the mission repeatedly as well.

I recommend using Ballista(aim for horns) and Dragonator. You should get at least two Dragonators off. After that just attack him, he is weakest in the horns and beard

What weapon are you using? He takes good damage from his beard so attack that if you get an opening. He is weak to lightning and dragon though I used Fire which is next best.

You can also play online, rank up and upgrade your weapons a bit more and have a much easier time.

Also. Short cuts open up to allow you to jump into the water from camp taking you to different parts of the map. One of them is right outside the final fight area.

tuffy

Could've sworn breaking the horn is all it took. But if you ran out of time, don't worry. In that fight (and only that fight), damage from a failed attempt carries over to the next attempt. So repelling Ceadeus should be easier the next time around.

Rawk Hawk

Gotcha, I thought maybe you also needed to be in area 3 or something. I just sat at camp thinking I had done all I needed to, but when the failed mission popped up I was a bit stunned.

I have fire and lightning dual blades, used them each once so far. The brother flames seemed to do really well since the areas I hit tend to be roughly the same weakness to fire than with my lightning ones. Plus brother flames boast a higher base attack and ele attack than Lagi's set.

I can be around for awhile to help out if need be.

Nope! Whether you're hunting Port monsters solo or in a group of 2-4, their health is always in the same range.

Sweet! I will say though it will be about an hour, I think dinner is coming up soon.

Wait, same health between solo and multi? Well shit. What's the point of the Solo port then?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sweet! I will say though it will be about an hour, I think dinner is coming up soon.

Wait, same health between solo and multi? Well shit. What's the point of the Solo port then?

Both Cha-Cha and Kayumba. Also I thought that Solo port has the hp tuned slightly down over multi port by yourself.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Hunting Horn is mistakenly thought to be a good weapon for Wide-Range +2 by a lot of people. It's in fact terrible because each time you play a song with the Hunting Horn, it has an effect similar to the Field Horn item, i.e. you're likely to be the next target of the monster(s)' attacks, and thus you have less time for healing overall. Not to mention, the sheathe animation is not really fast.

By far the best weapon for Wide-Range +2 is the Sword&Shield because it's the only one that can use items while unsheathed.

Even better, don't waste 20 points in a semi-useless skill and ask everyone to bring three Lifepowders. All of its ingredients can be bought in bulk directly from the Granny Go-to in Port Tanzia's Marina.
I think you misunderstood what I said. He had wide-range+2 for group healing, and he used the horn to keep us buffed as often as possible, but the two were not necessarily connected. Basically he was a mostly support player, but it worked really well. His no-stamina-consumption buff is really, really useful for me since I use the dual blades.

Yesterday I played with a different group vs Brachy, and I brought lifepowders (and I also have wide-range +1 on my armour right now, though I'm looking to build a new set, more on that below) and tried to keep everyone healed, yet they all still died (not me, for once :p), and it made me wish my friend had been there for the support.

So uh... I don't know what armour to make right now. I am currently in high-rank (HR4) and still don't have enough parts to make a full set, so I need to decide on a monster to farm to make a full set. I mostly use the dual blades (I have paralytic ones and just made the Dios blades with the slime property). I plan on eventually make a bow and a gunlance, since I want to try the new weapons that weren't in Tri, but I'll probably wait until G-rank to do that.

Right now I have decent skills on my set, but very weak defense, so I need a set with good skills and better defense.

I imagine skills such as Evasion, Evade Distance, Sharpness, Earplugs (can't evade roars for shit apparently, I probably just suck), Status Atk, would be good for me. I can gem in Tremor Resist too since I got a +7 talisman for it. I think I'm too weak to farm Narcuwhatever yet (our group got slaughtered by it once, though to my credit I wasn't the one who died xD), and even Brachy gives my group trouble (though that's only a sample of 3 fights and we were woefully unprepared the first fight). Any suggestions? I was considering a Barioth S set, but I kinda hate how it looks :p

Solo can be good when you're doing mining/gathering stuff for ore or insects or whatever and want access to higher-rank items that aren't unlocked in the village yet, and it'll be good to have those quests unlocked for when the servers eventually close. In Tri, most of the game's meaty content was in the city (the equivalent of the port), with none of the high-rank monsters available in the village (including some exclusive monsters like Deviljho and Alatreon), and when the servers closed, that meant all that content was gone.

Not that I would ever solo Alatreon, mind you xD but for those who want to try it, it's good to have it available.

tuffy

Both Cha-Cha and Kayumba. Also I thought that Solo port has the hp tuned slightly down over multi port by yourself.
I've heard conflicting reports about whether monsters in solo Port have less HP, so I decided to test it out using low rank Rathian is a guinea pig, normal lv. 2 shots and no shakalaka support. In the solo Port side, it took 71 shots to kill whereas in the local multiplayer Port side, it took 91 shots to kill. A few more small monsters got in the way the second time around, but I don't think it was 20 shots worth. So it may very well be the case that solo Port does have less HP. By contrast, a low rank Village Rathian took only 39 shots to bring down which is what I expected.

Heroman

Banned
Gotcha, I thought maybe you also needed to be in area 3 or something. I just sat at camp thinking I had done all I needed to, but when the failed mission popped up I was a bit stunned.

I have fire and lightning dual blades, used them each once so far. The brother flames seemed to do really well since the areas I hit tend to be roughly the same weakness to fire than with my lightning ones. Plus brother flames boast a higher base attack and ele attack than Lagi's set.
Just make lag lance. When he swimming to area 3 break his bread. Use the dragonnaoter to break have horn.

Toxi

Banned

Lightning and Fire are both good.

Damage actually carries over from previous attempts, so you'll eventually get it.

It's a really boring boss. :-\

Kinsei

Banned
So uh... I don't know what armour to make right now. I am currently in high-rank (HR4) and still don't have enough parts to make a full set, so I need to decide on a monster to farm to make a full set. I mostly use the dual blades (I have paralytic ones and just made the Dios blades with the slime property). I plan on eventually make a bow and a gunlance, since I want to try the new weapons that weren't in Tri, but I'll probably wait until G-rank to do that.

Right now I have decent skills on my set, but very weak defense, so I need a set with good skills and better defense.

I imagine skills such as Evasion, Evade Distance, Sharpness, Earplugs (can't evade roars for shit apparently, I probably just suck), Status Atk, would be good for me. I can gem in Tremor Resist too since I got a +7 talisman for it. I think I'm too weak to farm Narcuwhatever yet (our group got slaughtered by it once, though to my credit I wasn't the one who died xD), and even Brachy gives my group trouble (though that's only a sample of 3 fights and we were woefully unprepared the first fight). Any suggestions? I was considering a Barioth S set, but I kinda hate how it looks :p

Solo can be good when you're doing mining/gathering stuff for ore or insects or whatever and want access to higher-rank items that aren't unlocked in the village yet, and it'll be good to have those quests unlocked for when the servers eventually close. In Tri, most of the game's meaty content was in the city (the equivalent of the port), with none of the high-rank monsters available in the village (including some exclusive monsters like Deviljho and Alatreon), and when the servers closed, that meant all that content was gone.

Not that I would ever solo Alatreon, mind you xD but for those who want to try it, it's good to have it available.

If you can wait until HR5 you can get Azure Rathalos armor, which is simply amazing. If you can't wait make Wroggi S as it is pretty good, and easy enough to make.

Solo Alatreon is really fun. Unlocking and defeating him (village quest) without using G rank gear is one of my greatest MH achievements. It's right up there with WoLaS, The Final Invitation, and Monster Hunter (The quest called Monster Hunter in Monster Hunter Freedom Unite).

Mephala

Volvidon S has carried me through into G-Rank. In fact I'm still wearing it now. Actually, someone laughed at me and said I needed new armor. orz.

Attack Up M
Evade +1
Tremor Resist
Negative Cold Res

With a charm and gems I get Attack Up Large and Evade +2. Alternatively I can stick with Attack Up Medium and get Speed Sharpener.

Easy to farm too but won't be as high in defense as say, Rath Soul.

Solo Alatreon is really fun. Unlocking and defeating him (village quest) without using G rank gear is one of my greatest MH achievements. It's right up there with WoLaS, The Final Invitation, and Monster Hunter (The quest called Monster Hunter in Monster Hunter Freedom Unite).

These were so good. I remember how nerve wracking it was for The Final Invitation when you failed to kill the first monster quick enough. And Monster Hunter was scary but not too bad if only because they didn't crash in all at once. I was also very proficient with my GS timings for most of those guys by then so this one wasn't too bad for me.

PKrockin

If you can wait until HR5 you can get Azure Rathalos armor, which is simply amazing. If you can't wait make Wroggi S as it is pretty good, and easy enough to make.

Wait, you can fight Alatreon in a village quest? I just failed at him twice at the port.

I've yet to kill an Alatrean. Port or otherwise. Maybe I need to finish the 8* to unlock him?

Village is the easiest one, you need to clear all the other quests that are available to unlock him. The port one, they should be under the event quests tab on both High and G rank, but they're harder than the village version.

Top Bottom