• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

ohlawd

wat, 25 minutes to skip over my post

i'm hurt

this reminds me that I never got the final G rank wing I need to fully upgrade the Alatreon lance

Mephala

wat, 25 minutes to skip over my post

i'm hurt

this reminds me that I never got the final G rank wing I need to fully upgrade the Alatreon lance

Lol, sorry I meant the GH one. I was told it was in the village some time ago. I didn't know it was under Events quests in the Guild Hall, this explains why I haven't seen it.

tuffy

Village is the easiest one, you need to clear all the other quests that are available to unlock him. The port one, they should be under the event quests tab on both High and G rank, but they're harder than the village version.
As I understand it, the Village Alatreon is literally just the G rank Port event one with half the health. I believe the high rank event Alatreon has more health than the Village one, but doesn't hit quite as hard.

Though if one just wants to beat him and doesn't care much about style or dignity, the easy way is to spam a lot of level 1 charges with an awakened Great Kelbi Deershot. I managed to bring down the Village one in about 20 minutes on my first try despite being pretty lousy with the bow.

Kinsei

Banned
These were so good. I remember how nerve wracking it was for The Final Invitation when you failed to kill the first monster quick enough. And Monster Hunter was scary but not too bad if only because they didn't crash in all at once. I was also very proficient with my GS timings for most of those guys by then so this one wasn't too bad for me.

Did you use high rank or G rank gear for Monster Hunter? I always beat every village quest before moving onto the guild quests so Monster Hunter ended up causing me a lot of trouble since I didn't have access to any G rank gear.

Mephala

Did you use high rank or G rank gear for Monster Hunter? I always beat every village quest before moving onto the guild quests so Monster Hunter ended up causing me a lot of trouble since I didn't have access to any G rank gear.

I imported my character from MHF2. I had reached HR6 with a number of farmed sets. I finished Nekoht's quests before moving onto the G-Rank guild quests. The thing is however, by this point I had slain so many of those monsters in that mission that I could fight them confidently and comfortably, with the exception of Rajang whom I was not quite as familiar with at the time. That didn't really matter though because I ended up bringing barrel bomb+ and traps specifically for him.

Rathalos gave me a bit of a hassle I seem to recall but I used a couple of flashes on him so I could heal and get some freebies in. I was in Narga's HR set because I wanted the extra safety from Evade skills for Rajang, I could also roll through Tigrex and Rath projectiles a lot easier with it. Can't remember the GS I used but I think it was the Siegmund as I had that from MHF2.

I'd bet my Wii U I can't beat the quest now though. I haven't played it in years.

Rawk Hawk

Thanks for the hunts guys, going to do some solo for Volvi armor I think before I try any more online, HR is a lot more than I expected lol, and there is still G to discover!

Heroman

Banned
Thanks for the hunts guys, going to do some solo for Volvi armor I think before I try any more online, HR is a lot more than I expected lol, and there is still G to discover!

You cant walk around in hr or g in lr jaggi gear you need to get some new stuff. Volvi is a great armor set. It has attack up m and evasion 1.Evasion is one best skills in the game. Try to gem in evasion plus 2.

Kinsei

Banned
What's the best area to send the fishing fleet to if you want small goldenfish? I'm trying to fully upgrade every single hunting horn, and the Lunar Chordmaker requires 30 of them.

tuffy

What's the best area to send the fishing fleet to if you want small goldenfish? I'm trying to fully upgrade every single hunting horn, and the Lunar Chordmaker requires 30 of them.
Moga Deep has a 5% chance of getting 2, so lots of Fish Finders are a big help.

ohlawd

I would just do a random mishmash of high rank armor you can make. You only want the high def, right?

and gem in easy skills like Speed Sharpen or if talismans allow, Evasion, Attack, etc.

Anura

That's one of those weapons that I just gave up on... I might go back and try to gather those fish again but I don't even use HH

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up making a Lagi set, though I'm still missing some claws+ for the vambrace. But at least my defense is much better now, and I retained the Sharpener skill (not that great but hey) and now I got Focus and Tenderizer gemmed in (I can also swap one of them for Tremor Resist since I got a good talisman for that). Not bad for now, I think.

Tempted to make a Gigginox set next, for the Status Atk and Earplugs...

tuffy

That's one of those weapons that I just gave up on... I might go back and try to gather those fish again but I don't even use HH
I just kept sending out my fleets while I was in the process of farming a lot of other low/high rank parts in the Village (like Barioth Spikes) and they mostly turned up on their own. I did actually spend some timing just fishing for them and got a few that way, but that seemed like a better way to relax than an efficient use of time.

What's a good solo weapon? I don't think my hammer is fast enough to get around monsters past the intro monsters

Also I'm lazy so I guess great sword?

Haunted

What's a good solo weapon? I don't think my hammer is fast enough to get around monsters past the intro monsters

Also I'm lazy so I guess great sword?
Hammers are great solo weapons. If speed is your concern, Great Swords are even slower.

Try Long Sword or Dual Blades if you want faster and more immediate weapons.

Hammers are great solo weapons. If speed is your concern, Great Swords are even slower.

Try Long Sword or Dual Blades if you want faster and more immediate weapons.
GS can block and are based on sheathing so you can run. I'm playing MHFU and couldn't run around the guy in the intro movie. He reminds me of tigrex

Mephala

GS can block and are based on sheathing so you can run. I'm playing MHFU and couldn't run around the guy in the intro movie. He reminds me of tigrex

To effectively GS the Nargacuga you almost always want to start charging behind him after one of his attacks. The tell for when to start the charge is generally tail related. Try to look up a youtube guide. Personally, if you're going to use a GS I recommend leaving the kittens at home and blocking should only ever be used as a last resort.

In my opinion Narugacuga has some of the most forgiving hitboxes. You can roll under his arms, through his tail whips and through his roars without any evade skills pretty easily. If your trouble is moving around then I think your problem is probably positioning and timing. GS to the face then roll away is in my opinion less dangerous with Naruga than Tigrex. Keep close so you can attack and get out as quickly as possible. Learn to use your i-frames for the tail whip and roar.

As for good solo weapon in MHFU it really depends on what you are hunting. Some enemies give a really big opening or others take a lot of damage from 1 area that is easily reachable with a hammer/GS. Some monsters let you hug their legs with a GL, DS or LS and abuse their elemental weakness all day. Some monsters are pricks so you go and bowgun them to save yourself some frustration. At the end of the day its all about practicing to see what you can get away with for each weapon.

not that far. I mean when you start the game movie. it's like a raptor version of nico nico niigacuga

yeah I get what you're saying. I have full sets of armors and lots of different weapons in wii u mh3u but mhfu ios makes me want to be lazy for some reason. maybe less time to play and touchscreen woes

Mephala

not that far. I mean when you start the game movie. it's like a raptor version of nico nico niigacuga

yeah I get what you're saying. I have full sets of armors and lots of different weapons in wii u mh3u but mhfu ios makes me want to be lazy for some reason. maybe less time to play and touchscreen woes

Ah, I have never played the ios version. Not sure how well it plays. MHFU has some pretty lazy mode features. Bomb mining later makes life easier. You can pay for meat to be cooked etc.

Mephala

Energy Drinks. Why didn't I think of that. The animation would be faster too. Time to sell my meat supply and start hoarding honey and nitroshrooms.

Hello All,

I am a new player who just got a copy for the WiiU today.

any tips for a completely new player?

Welcome to the MHGaf! I'm not great with general tips. If you struggle you may want to consult a beginner's guide. I'm sure someone here will link you to a nice one.

Village Quests are easier than the ones in the port so I recommend starting there.

Don't get hit.

Patience. Wait for openings. Don't be greedy with attacks. Safety first. The combat in this game is about knowing the monsters, their patterns, attacks and reactions. If you go in swinging wildly and recklessly you're going to get killed and frustrated. For big fights you are better off being "over prepared". Potions, Mega Potions, Whetstones, Traps and items to craft more in the field if you need.

Check the DLC I believe one of them gives you "Resources" which you can use to upgrade your farm early on.

Some Item Combos.
Potion = Blue Mushrooms + Herbs
Mega Potion = Potion + Honey

Rawk Hawk

Hello All,

I am a new player who just got a copy for the WiiU today.

any tips for a completely new player?

Welcome, I'm not too far down the path of MH than you are, I mainly used YouTube to find beginner videos to the weapons I wanted to try. Once you get a weapon you like the motion for, certainly ask and some people here will probably be able to give you good tips, I know they did for me.

I would just do a random mishmash of high rank armor you can make. You only want the high def, right?

and gem in easy skills like Speed Sharpen or if talismans allow, Evasion, Attack, etc.

You know, this reminded me, now that HR is unlocked I can get the sphere's to upgrade my armor. Spent yesterday mining a little, ended up getting enough to rank up my jaggi set a full 3 levels, effectively doubling it's defense. Tried out Crim Peco in village (since I did finally beat Ceadeus, 1 hit from dragonator on my second trip repelled him...), Peco spawned a new monster I haven't killed before with a big jaw Dv something.. anyway I was able to take hits from both of them while focusing down Peco for the win.. so think I might stick out Jaggi again until Volvi. Only need Pink Rath and Pelsy before Volvi is available.

Fistwell

... new monster I haven't killed before with a big jaw Dv something..
zhbb.png
? :)

Rawk Hawk

Yes that's him, how unbelievably scary to have that show up. I later did the kill 10 Jaggia quest where he has like an intro, but since I did Crim first, he just showed up after the dance. I almost cried. That's one scary dude, luckily I think what saved me was Crim had enough damage on him that he would flee the area from time to time, so if I got a couple hits and then ran around he would leave and I could follow without that thing chasing. But had to add a new item to my ever filling bag, dung bombs appear to be staples in unstable environments. Where am I suppose to put my bugs and rocks?!

tuffy

Dung bombs are just a good idea in general. Some monsters will pounce on you and start chowing down if you're not careful. When that happens all your items are unavailable except for dung bombs, which you can use to free yourself. They're also useful for moving a monster back to the room where your trap is, since they seem to love wandering off just after placing one.

Top Bottom