• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Quadratic

Good to see this thread so active now. I was actually at my local MH3U meetup playing last night lol. I hope to keep the tradition going when MH4U comes out but with the online I think more people will just prefer to stay home.

You would think a local facebook group Monster Hunter group would be a sausagefest but we've had ladies show up for meetups from time to time.

I was actually introduced to it from a female coworker who noticed I was playing MH3U during my lunch break.

Mephala

But I want to hunt them with THE Pro Controller D:

I'm in agreement with this.

I'm a bit annoyed with the lack of a mic port though. I bought a cheapo mic for my Wii U. Figured it'll be nice for MH and stuff. I use the Pro Controller though and it doesn't have the Mic slot. Its on the gamepad. To make matters worse you can't use the Pro Controller to communicate at all. The typing for everything is done via gamepad. This includes entering passwords to join a multiplayer server.

And when I can be bothered to play with the mic on the gamepad I have to manually switch it on in menus each time I go online. Lol. What is this.

Quadratic

I'm in agreement with this.

I'm a bit annoyed with the lack of a mic port though. I bought a cheapo mic for my Wii U. Figured it'll be nice for MH and stuff. I use the Pro Controller though and it doesn't have the Mic slot. Its on the gamepad. To make matters worse you can't use the Pro Controller to communicate at all. The typing for everything is done via gamepad. This includes entering passwords to join a multiplayer server.

And when I can be bothered to play with the mic on the gamepad I have to manually switch it on in menus each time I go online. Lol. What is this.

You can hook up a usb keyboard to the WiiU. I tend to stay silent because I play on a WiiU pro controller. The gamepad has horrible battery life (like 3 hours) and is cumbersome for long play sessions. Which is made worse by the fact the pro controller lasts like 80 hours on a single charge.

Rawk Hawk

Yea, last night I used the gamepad when we played online, but text chat seems more than enough, so I'm going to dig out an old keyboard before I hop on the next time so I can use the pro controller.

tuffy

I tracked down a cheap wireless keyboard with a USB dongle (this one, I think) and have been using that. It's not only a lot better to type on than the pad's keyboard, but it keeps the pad's screen open for combining ammo or off-TV play.

Rawk Hawk

As Tuffy said the Helios stuff is amazing and is available at the very start of G. But if you still want high rank sets the Volvi gear is the way to go.

Volvi? That's one of the high rank ones I have been looking at, with my stun +8 charm, I'm thinking I could remove cold res down, get halve stun, up attack to large and evasion to +2.. I'm just not sure if my Low Rank Jaggi set will last me, doesn't look like Volvi is available until G rank online or 7* in village. I suppose I'll learn how to dodge well.. or get stuck and cough up the z for Wroggi S...

Fistwell

Volvi? That's one of the high rank ones I have been looking at, with my stun +8 charm, I'm thinking I could remove cold res down, get halve stun, up attack to large and evasion to +2.. I'm just not sure if my Low Rank Jaggi set will last me, doesn't look like Volvi is available until G rank online or 7* in village. I suppose I'll learn how to dodge well.. or get stuck and cough up the z for Wroggi S...
High rank jaggi is also a decent option, easy to acquire and can last throughout HR if upgraded. Shame bout that wino-puke color tho.

Mephala

I made a room. :)

World 1
Lobby 9
Name GAF
Pw neo

Edit. Volvi is great. I gemmed in Evade+2 and speed Sharpener because I had the gems laying around. I'll miss it when I move on. It also looks pretty mean on a female avatar.

It's kind of funny watching people in soul z ignore Deviljho roars while I have to either evade or guard it. Mean while I can safely ignore his stomping quakes. Bwahaha.

Anura

You actually don't even need to remove that cold res down. A hot drink negates it already

Rawk Hawk

You actually don't even need to remove that cold res down. A hot drink negates it already

Oh, I assumed it was ice attacks did more damage, not the cold effects on stamina.. well that's even better. Hmm, time to rethink decorations and see if there is a way to get something else out of the slots. Thanks!

After some online play, I'm also going to put more effort in learning a stronger, slower weapon. Dual Blades are a lot of fun, but I can see how a quick in, hit, quick out strategy is going to be pretty helpful as things get more chaotic. I felt a lot of times that I'd dive in, get 1-2 hits and he would be off chasing someone, where if I thrust in with a SWAX and overhead smashed or sword swing once, it would probably take just as long, but deal a significant amount more damage.

Heroman

Banned
Oh, I assumed it was ice attacks did more damage, not the cold effects on stamina.. well that's even better. Hmm, time to rethink decorations and see if there is a way to get something else out of the slots. Thanks!

Well his amour does take more damage from ice and especially from water. As for decorations check and see what charms you got and pick ones that look good, than gem in decorations to get the skill.

Rawk Hawk

What's this talk about mics and pro controllers on Wii U? Don't you use the Wii U gamepad?

I prefer the pro controller, honestly it's my favorite of recent history. Although I did like the XBox 360 with the keyboard attached, the weight felt oddly nice... so maybe I'm just weird when it comes to controllers.

Playing with the gamepad isn't bad either, the gamepad in generally is surprisingly easy to use and fairly comfortable, something I wasn't expecting when I got a Wii U.

PKrockin

Daboss, would you accept my friend request? I'll join from the friends list. The room isn't showing up in the list of world 2 lobby 1.

Haunted

Either I dced or our host did. :D

In any case, great high level hunting tonight! Alatreon G stresses me the fuck out. >_>

tuffy

I remember tackling the dual Arzuros quest on my own at the start of G rank because I wanted a 3 slot waist piece. I figured, "hey, it's just a couple of Arzuroses, how hard can it be?"

Turns out it was pretty hard!

It's basically like starting high rank all over again. Suddenly my trusty weapons were weak and ineffective, and my armor wasn't nearly so protective as it used to be.

Rawk Hawk

"You failed to reroute the Elder Dragon"

Damn you Ceadeus, I got lost at the beginning and swam almost to area 2 before realizing he was behind me the whole time, tried to make up for it.. but didn't get enough hits in must be. Going to try again tonight after work, I was so ready to sing my praise here on the forum today too! Haha

Heroman

Banned
"You failed to reroute the Elder Dragon"

Damn you Ceadeus, I got lost at the beginning and swam almost to area 2 before realizing he was behind me the whole time, tried to make up for it.. but didn't get enough hits in must be. Going to try again tonight after work, I was so ready to sing my praise here on the forum today too! Haha
He like the easiest boss in the game so you wont have any problem with him.

tuffy

For the first stage of Ceadeus, you've got to break his beard before he reaches the end of the tunnel. You'll know when it's broken because it'll shatter into a bunch of hairy bits and he'll flail all over the place for a second.

For the second stage, you've got to break his big horn at the very least to guarantee a repel. You can accomplish this with your weapon or the dragonator, but an easier way might be to trade with the Argosy Captain for a bunch of UW Ballista Ammo shots. Blast him in the face a few times to get that horn off and you can play it cautiously the rest of the fight.

Mephala

I'm about to jump online. Any rooms up?

Also, is there any specific way to farm for charms? Mine seem to forever be +1-3s usually not in any skill I want or need.

Mephala

Free 2 Lobby 1

MHGAF
gaf

Sorry I took a while, I went and destroyed a muffin. >_>

Whoa! New page! I'll leave this here.
3LTkNvO.jpg

DaBoss

MHTri online had some douchebags who were always serious, but I've mostly encountered people who like to have fun.

Will join you guys in a few minutes.

Top Bottom