• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

ramyeon

I personally just fought them more or less normally (albeit with g-rank gear) but I have a couple ideas on how to make that fight easier.

You could start by waiting on one side of the arena and throwing a smoke bomb before they spawn (right as lagi's corpse disappears) and hope only one of them 'aggros', and fight him on that side of the arena for as long as possible. I forget how close to one another they spawn but this works in some land arena quests.

Otherwise, if you can bring tons of LBB/LBB+/barrels/gunpowder/scatterfish and equip Bombardier/Pyro you could just bomb one of them to hell. It's not safe to attack them very often since they are both aggressive monsters, but it's easy to drop bombs on Rathalos and ragemode Brachy will detonate them for you while blowing himself and Rathalos up.

My usual Farcaster trick applies. Inventory space is at a premium in this quest, of course.
Good tips, I didn't even think about the smoke bomb one. Although I think they spawn pretty close together, I'd have to check next time through. I've heard that you can get Brachy to take out Los in about 20 minutes but in the meantime Los really had it in for me and homed in on me every time to poison me haha. I guess mega dash juice would help a lot in this fight as well, since my main issue was running out of stamina from running so much.

What type of weapon/armor set did you use?
Helios Z armour upgraded as far as I can since I ran out of Tru Spheres, and I resorted to using a slime weapon for this quest and was using my Demolition Swaxe.

Boy I really dislike fighting Caedeus but I need something to increase my odds of survival in G and that Helios Z seems like it is pretty easy to farm compared to some other G Rank monsters I've attempted to take down.

ryz

Boy I really dislike fighting Caedeus but I need something to increase my odds of survival in G and that Helios Z seems like it is pretty easy to farm compared to some other G Rank monsters I've attempted to take down.

Jaggi/Wroggi/Baggi should be no problem, and the armors are a good start for G rank.

DaBoss

Good tips, I didn't even think about the smoke bomb one. Although I think they spawn pretty close together, I'd have to check next time through. I've heard that you can get Brachy to take out Los in about 20 minutes but in the meantime Los really had it in for me and homed in on me every time to poison me haha. I guess mega dash juice would help a lot in this fight as well, since my main issue was running out of stamina from running so much.

Helios Z armour upgraded as far as I can since I ran out of Tru Spheres, and I resorted to using a slime weapon for this quest and was using my Demolition Swaxe.

Eat the food combination that gives Thunder Res (L) + Thundercaller + Felyne Groomer

Go after Brachy first. It spawns on the left side.

Dragoshi1

Played online for the first time today with random people farming the Purple Ludroth.

It was fun, I wasn't kicked out like during my time with MHT for the Wii.

Is it possible for me to join a group hunting Deviljho even though I'm only HR3?

Speaking of Jho, I sliced his tail off yesterday, right?

And what did I carve?

3. Frickin. Deviljho. Gems. I had carver(lo) so I got a 3rd carve, and somehow each carve was a gem!

Chuckpebble

How and why did my armor sets disappear?

You're talking about your named sets right? Yeah, they're pretty good about keeping track of weapons as you upgrade them, but if you sell any piece of equipment that was registered in one, that set gets deleted. That happens to me most often when I get a better version of a charm and purge the lesser ones.

You can feed them?? What happens when you feed them?

Do they turn into Gremlins if you feed them after 12?
Give one Well Done Stick per quest and they will level up pretty fast! Right now I have something like 5 Raw Meat and 1 Well Done Steak, lol... Now when I go out hunting I have to use Energy Drinks to raise my stamina.

Almost half a million resource points!?

HOW?
Go mine G Rank Volcano and trade stones for resource points. :)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Are Lava Nuggets good for anything else? I have a ton of them.

Used for a couple gunner decorations, quite a few weapons and armour sets. I've used a bunch for resources, simply because I have so many. So if you really need some resources, convert some.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
If I run away from monsters to go to the base camp to sleep and heal will the monster heal itself from me running off or not?

Only if they're so injured that they go to sleep themselves. ie; if they're limping away, they're probably heading toward their sleeping spot. But I wouldn't worry about it. If you need to sleep, sleep. They're not going to recover that quickly.

How rare are Handicraft charms? I'm in G Rank right now looking to complete my armor set:

Helios Z(Head, Torso)
Helios X(Arms, Waist)
Artian X(Legs)

Notable Skills:
  • Free Element 10
  • Handicraft 8
  • Hearing 11
  • Destroyer 5

I'm using the triple slot in my helmet for a Hearing 3 decoration which gives me HG earplugs.
I could make two Handicraft decorations for the double slots in the waist and arms, but I can't access the parts yet. Ideally I'd like to find a Handicraft +2 charm and use the 5 remaining armor slots for Destroyer.

• Awaken
  • Sharpness +1
  • HG Earplugs
  • Partbreaker

Pretty sure that this armor set would last me the rest of the game with those 4 skills, and I technically don't need slots in my charm or weapon which is nice. It'd also make my blade of tartarus usable.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Woo, hit HR3 last night.

Which armor set do you guys recommend I make for every day use going into HR3 as a Blademaster? I almost have enough parts for Diablos, and a Duramboros set is totally doable as well.

Trying to get a Rathalos Plate in high rank village but I have a question. Is cutting the tail off, carving and then quitting if it isn't a plate a more viable/faster way to getting a plate? I vaguely remember people doing that in the old days.

vareon

Completed my Uragaan Z armor set tonight.

Artillery Expert
Mind's Eye
Guard +1
Bio Master
Doggy Paddler

That's without Talisman/Gem. With it I can be very versatile in different hunts. Pretty much my Gunlance set and I don't plan on making any more armor sets so I'm happy right now, yeah.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Trying to get a Rathalos Plate in high rank village but I have a question. Is cutting the tail off, carving and then quitting if it isn't a plate a more viable/faster way to getting a plate? I vaguely remember people doing that in the old days.

I guess it depends on how quickly you down Rathalos. Does it take 20 minutes to beat him after the tail slice usually? Or does it take 8 minutes?

Jaggi/Wroggi/Baggi should be no problem, and the armors are a good start for G rank.

Yeah I had considered one of those but as a GS user I would probably get more out of Helios with Plugs and Sharpness+1.

I just really hate underwater fights.

taybul

Anyone else notice that after you upgrade your armor to a certain point the +DEF drops significantly? I was upgrading something and each Hvy/Tru sphere would give roughly +6-8 DEF but the next one drops to only giving +2. Do you need to be a certain HR to get the full upgrade (I'm only HR7 right now)?

I guess it depends on how quickly you down Rathalos. Does it take 20 minutes to beat him after the tail slice usually? Or does it take 8 minutes?

Definitely not 8 minutes but not 20 either. I just really want to speed this process up. After a while farming Los or anything gets boring to me.

Ridley327

Yeah, that still works.

Mupod

Anyone else notice that after you upgrade your armor to a certain point the +DEF drops significantly? I was upgrading something and each Hvy/Tru sphere would give roughly +6-8 DEF but the next one drops to only giving +2. Do you need to be a certain HR to get the full upgrade (I'm only HR7 right now)?

heavy spheres have a much greater effect than true spheres. However you can usually only use heavies 1-3 times whereas you need like 8 true spheres to max out the armor. Good luck getting them though.

It all depends on the piece of armor itself really. Low/high rank sets get dramatic boosts when upgraded with spheres above their level then even out towards the end. Pieces with naturally high defense get lesser benefit from upgrading at first. And then there's the Vangis Coil X which is just a freak of nature as befitting something that's such a huge pain in the ass to get.

think of it this way: it's easy to upgrade armor a few levels, but if you want to max it out be prepared for a lot of trouble. However, if you don't do this you're not gimped because of diminishing returns. We should be able to buy armor stones eventually which will make maxing sets easy, if expensive.

that's what I thought. bit I can't find drop rates on wikia... ugh...

off to more zinogres then.

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Zinogre_Carves
http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Stygian_Zinogre_Carves

heavy spheres have a much greater effect than true spheres. However you can usually only use heavies 1-3 times whereas you need like 8 true spheres to max out the armor. Good luck getting them though.
Not sure if I was just lucky the one time I did it, but the giant Nibelsnarf quest seems to give you lots of spheres in the rewards. I got around 4 or 5 true spheres in the one run I did. I think everyone else I was playing with also commented that they got a bunch of spheres too. So if anyone's looking for them might want to give that quest a shot. I believe it's in HR 8 and called Awesome Maw.

NeoRausch

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Zinogre_Carves
http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Stygian_Zinogre_Carves

Not sure if I was just lucky the one time I did it, but the giant Nibelsnarf quest seems to give you lots of spheres in the rewards. I got around 4 or 5 true spheres in the one run I did. I think everyone else I was playing with also commented that they got a bunch of spheres too. So if anyone's looking for them might want to give that quest a shot. I believe it's in HR 8 and called Awesome Maw.

I still don't see any drop rates for skymerald from zinogre. I must be blind!

at least I have the double zin quest.

Kouriozan

I want to play online but my internet crashed 10 hours ago and apparently Im not alone. Everyone I know can't connect too. I'm soooo scared about that always online future, I had to stole my brother's IPhone >.<
I want to play online!

Rize_21

If you can,try with a Dragon attribute Swaxe,as Ivory Lagiacrus and Azure Rathalos are very weak to this element(-5 on the armour),you will kill/capture them faster,evade extender can be a life saviour,but hmm...the jumping jewels are only +1/-1 so without a +6 talisman I'm not sure you can use it :/,the Nargacuga X has this skill but it's weak to fire(-10)and thunder(-30).
I've uploaded a picture to show where are the Bracchydios and Azure Rathalos once the Ivory Lagiacrus corpse disappear.
Good luck for your next try. :)

Thoraxes

Man, just did Baleful Gigginox for the first time.

Luckily I have a +10 ThunderRes/+3 SpeedSetup charm.

Still even with a Brachy Hammer it took like 30 mins.

DaBoss

Man, just did Baleful Gigginox for the first time.

Luckily I have a +10 ThunderRes/+3 SpeedSetup charm.

Still even with a Brachy Hammer it took like 30 mins.

I've been saying this throughout both OTs, Gigginox are the worst, but I now find them easy as hell with a lance. Only monster I have some trouble with is G. Agnaktor due to it managing to hit me often. Black Diablos is tough, but when it's tired, I go full force on her.

I feel my Armor is somewhat lacking. I'm starting Level 6* Offline (HR2 Online - only play with the fiance since we have the 3DS version) and I have 4/5 Rathalos upgraded to Level 8.

Is this about par for the course (using LongBlade and Dual Swords right now) for where I'm at? Is there a set(s) I should particularly go for? I can't really "farm" the 6* yet, Rathian is laying waste to me but I'll get him soon, I can cut the tail and get him limping but just bad timing with combos and he takes me from full to dead in 10 seconds.

I've been saying this throughout both OTs, Gigginox are the worst, but I now find them easy as hell with a lance. Only monster I have some trouble with is G. Agnaktor due to it managing to hit me often. Black Diablos is tough, but when it's tired, I go full force on her.
Gigginox is the best monster in the game to Bowgun. On the ceiling, flopping around on the floor, whatever. He still gets shot!

Mondriaan

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";56654556]Save them armor stones kids. Too bad you can't slickaxe them.[/QUOTE]
Armor stones are rarer than tru(e) armor spheres in my experience.

Really? I haven't mined one True armor sphere. But I'm idling at HR6 because I'm saving G rank for my friends. Just doing Gold Ceadeus, Ivory Lagiacrus and 4 monster quests over and over to finish my armor set. I was surprised you could make such good armor at the beginning of G-Rank.

As far as I can tell, it's the best set I can come up with in the whole game.

blackflag

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";56661000]Really? I haven't mined one True armor sphere. But I'm idling at HR6 because I'm saving G rank for my friends. Just doing Gold Ceadeus, Ivory Lagiacrus and 4 monster quests over and over to finish my armor set. I was surprised you could make such good armor at the beginning of G-Rank.

As far as I can tell, it's the best set I can come up with in the whole game.[/QUOTE]

You won't get them much until G-Rank volcano mining runs.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I asked this earlier in the thread but I don't think I got a reaponse. As an LS user, what's a good armor set to build going into HR3?

I was thinking either Diablos or Duromboros.

Hoodbury

So last night I was watching Netflix, when I was done and pushed the Home button and returned to the wara wara plaza, I let it sit for awhile to look at a few miiverse drawings. A funny thing I noticed though was that under the Monster hunter icon, not one single Mii was around it. Even after the second wave of mii's came running in, not 1 mii was under Monster Hunter.

Probably just a weird glitch, but anyone else have this happen ever?

Arveene

Neo Member
I asked this earlier in the thread but I don't think I got a reaponse. As an LS user, what's a good armor set to build going into HR3?

Honestly, I used Volvidon all the way to G-rank. You could easily do the same with Jaggi or Wroggi. Focus isn't really that great for LS. Crit Eye and Tremor resist are nice though. The attack up on Duram is good, but Fortify isn't a good skill. Recovery speed is nice, but there are better sets out there. At the end of the day it all depends on your playstyle and picking skills that compliment that.

I don't know why but I still find Black Diablos more annoying to fight than even Deviljho. He's just a pain in the ass and never seems to give good openings.

Oh she is... but oddly, I can manage a switch axe on here, where DJ doesn't play well with them (one fainting is NEVER god! ;p )

Slime is great for the legs, but I am a traditionalist, and use Ice. Nothing better than slapping her tail off with a frozen Tuna!!!

You can, but I find I got more RUBIES this way.. (I HAVE 7 now!!!), I did a tail cut, bash the head, and flash bomb over and over, to sap him fast and Cap him after a dung bomb. Took 20 of them, and, on the one where the shiny was another ruby... I got 3 plates.. in the rewards. seriously... I hate my odd luck...

Mileena

Banned

anything with evasion and/or handicraft IMO. I don't really remember high rank armor sets so I can't give you a specific

sharpener is also good if you can't get handicraft

that's what I thought. bit I can't find drop rates on wikia... ugh...

off to more zinogres then.

http://www.kiranico.com

Zin Skymerald
Rare Carry Max Sell Buy
9 99 14200z N/A

Monster Source
Rank Monster Method # %
G Zinogre Wound Horn 1 3%
G Zinogre Carve (Body) 1 2%
G Zinogre Carve (Tail) 1 2%
G Zinogre Shiny Drop 1 2%
G Zinogre Capture 1 2%