• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

DaBoss

I know, I'm just saying Capcom (Japan) is clearly not bothered. Let's hope MH4 localization was part of the deal.

Maybe. They just need incentives, and the servers incentive was good.

Uh no we DID beg for MH3U. "Sven's Revenge" anyone?

"We didn't have to beg for MH3U."

Sven said we have to wait. Most of us assumed it was not coming. But it was pretty clear Nintendo was holding back the announcement as it was a megaton for the Fall 2012 September conference.

---

Monster Hunter Tri servers...
yUF4rcm.jpg

I think the fact that they're adding online for 4 despite being on 3DS is a good sign for the consideration of the West's needs :)

hopefully

I just completed the 8 star VQ canteen quest. It says dairy items are upgraded. I can't seem to see any difference so far.

(I haven't started on HR yet)

Hattori

Banned
I'm not even close to facing A. Lagi, but Edgemaster seems god-like.

I see quite a few mixed sets with the Chest, Arms, and Waist.

Ideally, you'd need a Edgemaster +2 Talisman for that.

You'd have to look up armor sets though for a better idea of what you can do with it.

The full set seems kinda meh outside of Honed Blade and Stamina Recovery Up.
Current Res (Hi) will only be useful underwater, and Critical Eye -2 is not good.

I went ahead and made it because nether weapons kinda suck (no slots) imo. Thank you for your input.

L Thammy

Wait, hasn't 3U performed better than 3 at the same point in time? I haven't compared.
I'm doubtful that a HD version will come out though.

The final quest of 4 should be titled Sven's Revenge.

DaBoss

Wait, hasn't 3U performed better than 3 at the same point in time? I haven't compared.
I'm doubtful that a HD version will come out though.

The final quest of 4 should be titled Sven's Revenge.

Well at retail, it seems to have done just below MHTri's first month in the US. Who knows what digital sales are though. MH is one of the perfect games to own digitally.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It's doing slightly worse than Tri, and this is across two systems instead of one.

DaBoss

Do you have the actual numbers? If they're similar, I wouldn't be surprised if the digital sales put it slightly above.

These were posted in the NPD thread, and then posted in the original OT. Would be hard to find them in the NPD thread.

MHTri: 108k-143k
MH3U: 100k-130k
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=54510954&postcount=18665

60.9K < MHU 3DS < 77.4K
40.4K < MHU WiiU < 51.6K
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=54515607&postcount=18675

creamsugar posted a range and then the split between the two SKUs.

RobbieNick

Alright! I got to the HR3 quests and I defeated Caedeus and am high rank in Moga village! Now too.....

WHY IS ALL MY ARMOUR COMPLETE CRAP NOW?!

Seriously, even the Royal Ludroth is kicking my ass! My weapons seem to be strong enough, but now I'm fainting at least once. What the hell?!

Proven

I think the armor progression in this game is really weird, at least before G-rank. This is not about the very grindy (MMO-ish) drops that mar an otherwise brilliant game, but that plays a part.

Since getting into High Rank I've had like dozens of armor sets pop up all at once (like a new one or two every mission) on top of the ones that just showed up for the highest rank of low (e.g. Lagiacrus, which I'm still wearing now just hit G-Rank, although at least upgraded to be 40 defense a piece). Less than three days later I've hit G-Rank and now they are mostly outdated at this point. Making even one of these sets (or a bunch of decorations, in some cases) can be daunting, with one or two super rare drops required. People generally seem to care more about ranking up (doing the three or so key quests) than fighting all of the monsters or fully equipping themselves with proper skills, but I can't blame because the game is set up this way.

The rate of obtaining a full set of armor (skills) versus the rate of them being outdated is so out of whack it is mind boggling. All throughout High rank I was confused what to make because of this, but never even got an opportunity to make a set because I never got a full set of materials (for example I killed somewhere around 8 Uragaans). This doesn't fully apply to weapons because you upgrade those along and they alone require much fewer materials. Still though, it was far easier to make an up to date Dios blade than go back and continuing upgrading my Peco Switch-Axe.

Anyway, I think I'm going to focus on more High Rank missions for awhile.
This, I agree with. It's part of the reason why the game feels a lot more frustrating than Tri. The pacing seems set up so that it's super easy to progress, and then the game grinds to a halt the second you need to stop and get a new armor set. I literally went through about half of High Rank using only an upgraded Low Rank Chainmail set for my bow.

Well, every new monster material unlocks a new armour possibility, so as soon as you see one you like, you're expected to farm that monster a couple times to get enough materials for the full set. I think the weapon progression is smoother by default as you can basically continue upgrading by just going along and playing the game "normally". Though bad luck with one or two rare drops for the weapon can lead to you having enough materials for (almost) the full armour set of that monster as well. So, they're interconnected in a way, yet due to the random nature of the drops it can vary wildly. I was farming so many Brachys for the rare Pallium drop that I ended up with enough material to handily make the armour set and fully upgrade like three different Brachy weapons.

About the outdated thing: there's a point when you realise that almost every High Rank set can be upgraded to roughly the same defense as most G-rank armour given you have enough armour spheres to spend. So at that point it basically becomes a case of finding the right set of skills you like/need for your weapon. I'm still rocking HR Agna from time to time even though I'm well into G-rank (dat innate Guard+2 & Guard boost).

That said, only G-Rank has the rare and useful endgame skills like Handicraft and Awaken, so there's that.

And this I partially disagree with. While it's true for certain weapons, there are a lot of cases where the game suddenly wants you to go into grind hell, because e.g. the rare material you need for the weapon with a ridiculous drop rate is also what you need two more of for the armor set.

But you've also reminded me that part of what the devs wanted to do was make sure people didn't use the same armor and skill setups at endgame. So, putting things together, I can see exactly how their set of decisions made this into a frustration for me.

Problem 1: People complain about HR grinding. Ranking up takes too long.
Answer 1: Make it only key quests and urgent quests as the primary means of ranking up.

Problem 2: The game moves a little too fast. Even if you had to do every quest once instead of just the key quests, that's still a fraction of the amount of quests you had to complete before.
Answer 2: Add more armors and up the amount of rare drops needed and even the amount of different rare drops needed at once (admittedly, I haven't run the numbers; this is just my current perception). Players will need to upgrade their armors anyway or face being one or two shotted, forcing them to spend more time doing quests. Additionally, a number of players will stop feeling forced to pick the one monster perceived as fastest for HR grinding and will instead voluntarily be grinding on a monster they need those pieces from.

Problem 3: People are too homogenized in the endgame.
Answer 3: Differentiate the armor sets more by making much fewer of them to be well rounded and instead just decent. From the previous answer, armor can have it's primary purpose of being a damage sponge wall for players, and mixing the great skills together can rely on a second layer of RNG (charms) to try and get players to not depend on them so much.

Someone make me feel better about this bleak post by ripping it to threads or something. The thing is that I went to play Guild Wars 2 while waiting for Tri Ultimate to come out, and stopped playing GW2 regularly before TriU's release because of similar design issues in GW2. Well, that and misplaced developer effort (there's finally a fucking spectator mode!).

These were posted in the NPD thread, and then posted in the original OT. Would be hard to find them in the NPD thread.

MHTri: 108k-143k
MH3U: 100k-130k
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=54510954&postcount=18665

60.9K < MHU 3DS < 77.4K
40.4K < MHU WiiU < 51.6K
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=54515607&postcount=18675

creamsugar posted a range and then the split between the two SKUs.
This is not actually too bad, considering it's selling to a much smaller installed base on Wii U, and on a system that isn't extremely popular in the US with the 3DS. The only worry comes from how many people may have double dipped...

Mupod

Alright! I got to the HR3 quests and I defeated Caedeus and am high rank in Moga village! Now too.....

WHY IS ALL MY ARMOUR COMPLETE CRAP NOW?!

Seriously, even the Royal Ludroth is kicking my ass! My weapons seem to be strong enough, but now I'm fainting at least once. What the hell?!

the higher you go, the less important defense gets and the more important 'not getting hit' becomes. But the start of high/g rank are especially tough because you're still using a set from the previous rank. You can alleviate this somewhat by upgrading, but nothing beats simply learning the monster. SnS is ideal for this, you won't be breaking speed records but it's very safe to use.

this game starts off a lot more forgiving than its predecessors but there's still that moment where 'the real monster hunter starts here' and you just need to learn patience/caution. If Ludroth is slapping your shit then your problem is most likely that you're not assuming he will do the roll attack every time. Because he will, and it'll hit you until you start positioning yourself in a way that he can't. I like to stand behind his back legs and hit him as he turns.

HORROR SHOW IN MOGA WOODS

zsAZcHn.jpg

wfEWltR.jpg

Commodity from every monster but Nargacuga, that was a great run!

uHGafGj.jpg

Forecast for tomorrow:

scqnvGD.jpg

:lol

Also found this old picture, how things have changed! <3

HP1KapN.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Lol wtf at Zinogre. Took him down easy but his speed was total WTF level as a GS user at first, haha.

Also had really janky animations. Maybe copied over from the PSP game?

Mupod

Zinogre's animations are awesome. Everything about him is. Well, except that he's really easy. But it's the good kind of easy.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Hello friends. I just bought this for the Wii U. First MH I play since MHFU, so I'm a little bit rusty. Anyhow, can we be friends? Add me: Jinfash.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
RWjN98S.jpg

"I spent way too much time tearing up Moga Woods as a kid. I'm like a scholar-athlete! So why am I single?"

Trying to ask me something, gurl?
AMzq9lr.gif

Hello friends. I just bought this for the Wii U. First MH I play since MHFU, so I'm a little bit rusty. Anyhow, can we be friends? Add me: Jinfash.

I don't think so. Go away.
FuqnPhm.gif

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
so all I own is a Wii and a 3DS

I don't suppose there's any way to play MH3U online without owning a WiiU, is there?

Since the servers are down for Tri and all...

Whoo! Jhen set complete after a couple of hours. I made different variants, which was fun. One with Speed Sharpening, another with autotracker, another with a huge defense boost... Enjoying it!

Fistwell

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";56570304]Getting Long Fragments is the worst thing ever[/QUOTE]
Not getting them is even worse.

DaBoss

Came to say Mock Melynx max is the best mask one can give to the Shakalakas.

Just got a Stygian Zinogre Skyemerald from Cha-Cha by him "stealing" it from S. Zinogre during the triple Crimson Qurupeco quest. Best mask ever.

I didn't even face S. Zinogre (outside of the arena) yet and my first item from him is this.

Finally getting to rank 8 at the port. I'm not quite done with the villiage quests but I think i'll take this chance to tackle my 3ds backlog. Online play's where most of my hunting will be from here on out.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Now now, don't be jealous of my boogie.

Add me. thetrin.

I'm always up for playing with gaffers.

Looking to play some more HR2 tonight. Was with a great group of guys that helped me out with Nibelsnarf, Diablos and Gigginox. Might join up with them again to close out some other hunts, and then farm for gear.

insin

Neo Member
I wasn't expecting what happens to the monsters in G Rank - I went back and fought a High Rank Great Jaggi last night to get the final mats for Jaggi X armour and it seemed like it was moving in slow motion in comparison.

The balance seems all out of whack, though. The group I was in was doing the 2 Jaggi & Green Plessy fight for Jaggi parts and Conqueror's Seals. The Jaggis got steamrolled despite their extra ferocity and the Plessy was literally flash underwater, stabbity stab, leave water, pitfall trap, stabbity stab, shock trap, stabbity stab, dead.

On the other hand, the 2 Great Baggi, 2 Lagombi fight is rather intense to solo, as despite the reduced HP due to multiple monsters, Great Baggi's rage mode is utterly ridiculous turbo speed and when he hits, it really hurts!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Damn, coming straight from the MHFU (and a 4 year break from the series), I'm a bit overwhelmed by some of these upgrades. For starters, are telling me I can keep killing monsters, convert them to resource points, and buy all ores I want from those points, or is there something I'm missing?!

This is going to save me a lot of time, especially early on.

Add me. thetrin.
I'm always up for playing with gaffers.

Added!

ramyeon

Finally have a Jho showing up in my Moga Forecast :O and yeah I know he appears other times, but it's nice to have the guarantee.

Edit: Captured him and got 2 7* commodities finally. Now I can get that Idol Mask from the Captain.

Going to sleep now.

I managed to capture a Stygian Zinogre.

But man... is that a beast! Barely even survived.
Homing electric balls that inflict Dragonblight is NOT fair!

It looks cool, though, because it occasionally strolls around with lightning around it like a boss.

ryz

Finished the HR7 urgent (Dire Miralis) yesterday, got promoted to HR30, yay!
Also farmed Golden Rathian for his Golden Lune set, almost done with it.

Might try Mark of a Hero again soon! :)

Monsters i still need to fight (until i've seen every monster in MH3U):

1. Alatreon
  2. Silver Rathalos
  3. Savage Jho
  4. Abyssal Lagiacrus
  5. Lucent Nargacuga
  6. Hallowed Jhen Mohran

ramyeon

I don't know why but I still find Black Diablos more annoying to fight than even Deviljho. He's just a pain in the ass and never seems to give good openings.

ramyeon

Aaand done! Feels good to be on the other side of that. Now for Mark of a Hero...
Holy crap. I used up 20 mega potions and barely took down I.Lagi... Now to let Brachy and Los hopefully weaken each other :(

Edit: Failed, and not trying again any time soon. Los and Brachy 2 hit kill me when they're in rage. Not fun :/

Mupod

Holy crap. I used up 20 mega potions and barely took down I.Lagi... Now to let Brachy and Los hopefully weaken each other :(

Edit: Failed, and not trying again any time soon. Los and Brachy 2 hit kill me when they're in rage. Not fun :/

I personally just fought them more or less normally (albeit with g-rank gear) but I have a couple ideas on how to make that fight easier.

You could start by waiting on one side of the arena and throwing a smoke bomb before they spawn (right as lagi's corpse disappears) and hope only one of them 'aggros', and fight him on that side of the arena for as long as possible. I forget how close to one another they spawn but this works in some land arena quests.

Otherwise, if you can bring tons of LBB/LBB+/barrels/gunpowder/scatterfish and equip Bombardier/Pyro you could just bomb one of them to hell. It's not safe to attack them very often since they are both aggressive monsters, but it's easy to drop bombs on Rathalos and ragemode Brachy will detonate them for you while blowing himself and Rathalos up.

My usual Farcaster trick applies. Inventory space is at a premium in this quest, of course.

Rize_21

What type of weapon/armor set did you use?

Top Bottom