• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Gotdamn I was gonna join in on that.

Well if anyone is looking for another room, I've got a general one named G Rank, in Free A Lobby 1.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Wow, not only did two of us hit HR7 but we are only one mission way from the urgent for HR8! Thanks for the help!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Looking at Great Swords I can make...only two Mohran Brace+'s away from Blade of Tarturus! What an easy sword to make and very good with Sharpness +1! Pretty close to the final Brachy GS as well.

Yup, I have done the ridiculous.

Reload Speed +2
Status Atk +2
Awaken
Load Up
Bombadier

Great Kelbi bow.

I only snuck bombadier on there because I could. I mainly use this to sleep bomb the shit out of things.

EDIT: In another 30 minutes of play time, I'll have accumulated 100 day's worth of time on this game.
EDITEDIT: I'm bad at math. 10 days.

Mephala

Going into random "Help" worlds is relaxing when tired of getting abused by the desire sensor. I'm no closer to anything I need at all but it was a lot of fun slaughtering Barioths and G.Agnaktors.

Kuntz

Going into random "Help" worlds is relaxing when tired of getting abused by the desire sensor. I'm no closer to anything I need at all but it was a lot of fun slaughtering Barioths and G.Agnaktors.

That's why I still don't have any complete armorset on my gunner after 170 hours...

I'm jumping online in a minute.

Mephala

Quick question. Now that I have HGE are there any roars in which I still need to watch out for? For instance in MHFU I recall if you're still too close to Tigrex his scream can still send you flying even though the sound itself isn't going to affect you.

That's why I still don't have any complete armorset on my gunner after 170 hours...

I'm jumping online in a minute.

Well I'm up for helping you get some items if you want. At this point i just really like stabbing things with my lance.

Anura

Quick question. Now that I have HGE are there any roars in which I still need to watch out for? For instance in MHFU I recall if you're still too close to Tigrex his scream can still send you flying even though the sound itself isn't going to affect you.

Well I'm up for helping you get some items if you want. At this point i just really like stabbing things with my lance.

HGE will resist every roar in this game.

Also I can help as well after I eat breakfast just give us the room details

tuffy

Wow, not only did two of us hit HR7 but we are only one mission way from the urgent for HR8! Thanks for the help!
I was a little surprised when I suggested "on to HR8!" and everyone actually hopped on board. But it won't take long to finish that up!
I can't think of any roars with side-effects like that one in MH3U. Once you've got HGE, it nullifies them all.

I'm hoping to get myself to HR8, I've got about an hour and a half to mess around and get that done, anyone want to help?

EDIT: The room I'm in right now is "To HR8", in Free A, Lobby 7. No password.

I'm hoping to get myself to HR8, I've got about an hour and a half to mess around and get that done, anyone want to help?

EDIT: The room I'm in right now is "To HR8", in Free A, Lobby 7. No password.

I have been stuck at HR7 for so long. What is with that? >.> I should really get over that hump but the Urragan ruby calls my name.

ohlawd

I couldn't wait so I did my HR7 urgent. Helped someone else with theirs as well.

Now I'm free to farm Brachy. I also want to get full G rank Jho just cuz. Sonetimes man I don't like making my room. If only for people who insist on doing a quest not related to the target monster.

tuffy

I couldn't wait so I did my HR7 urgent. Helped someone else with theirs as well.

Now I'm free to farm Brachy. I also want to get full G rank Jho just cuz. Sonetimes man I don't like making my room. If only for people who insist on doing a quest not related to the target monster.
Congrats!

It's always awkward as hell when you've got three hunters geared up to tackle the room's targeted monster and some fourth guy shows up wanting to do something completely different. But it is your room and there's no guilt in forcing them to take their off-topic requests elsewhere if need be. Not like there'll be a shortage of people genuinely interested in farming Brachy parts or clearing that doubly Brachy urgent quest.

Quite happy with this weekends hunting. I unlocked Zinogre for the Moga 8* urgent but I have yet to do it. Worked on finishing all of the low rank guild quests and went to HR3. Not a big step but still a nice thing solo, I need friends with 3DS copies to hunt with.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Congrats!

It's always awkward as hell when you've got three hunters geared up to tackle the room's targeted monster and some fourth guy shows up wanting to do something completely different. But it is your room and there's no guilt in forcing them to take their off-topic requests elsewhere if need be. Not like there'll be a shortage of people genuinely interested in farming Brachy parts or clearing that doubly Brachy urgent quest.

I actually need one Brachy pounder for my final slime weapon, the (final?) canteen quest, and of course to get to HR8. Anyone around?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I can be around for the next hour and a half or so, at least.

Cool I gotta transfer my character back. (I really should just get a wired adapter, I need one for SSB anyways and I prefer the 60fps of the 3D version, plus no transfarring)

Mephala

Tranqs can be applied before the trap. A stealthy gunner can use the tranq shots to do so and trick those who weren't aware since the monster will be capped as soon as the trap triggers if all the conditions are met and enough tranq has been applied.

You do need to use tranqs though.

I'll be on in about a half hour, just need Dire Miralis.

EDIT: Curse all of you! Someone let me know when a slot opens up.

Hope you still have the Miralis to do, I want some parts.

it's 100% false.. or is it? dun dun dun

it's pretty much a joke. he fooled one other guy in the lobby. the guy said to kill it the second it goes on the trap. he high up in the clouds tonight.

Yeah I was pretty sure about that but since I am still newish to MH3U I was unsure if there was a change or not.

ohlawd

yeah you can throw tranqs before and the effects stay for a bit. it wears off eventually so you might need a 3rd throw

Yeah I was pretty sure about that but since I am still newish to MH3U I was unsure if there was a change or not.
sorry lol I wasn't trying to be mean :p

Shengar

How does the save transfer from Wii U to 3ds works? What will happened if there is a save file in the cart?
Double dipped on a second-hand copy, I just can't resist the price

Mephala

How does the save transfer from Wii U to 3ds works? What will happened if there is a save file in the cart?
Double dipped on a second-hand copy, I just can't resist the price

The program will ask you to remove the previous data first if it detects it. There is a button combination that can be held to delete data on start up for the physical copies. I think it is A+B+X+Y.

When you transfer data from device A to B, the data is copied to device B then "locked" on A. If you try to play from device A it will give you lots of warnings but ultimately won't stop you either. However when you try to bring the data back from B to A, if A is now unlocked you might run into problems and it may ask you to delete one version.

Hope that makes sense. I just gave up playing with the locked data after a while. Not worth the hassle and I just run the transfer when I need to switch.

tuffy

Tranqs can be applied before the trap. A stealthy gunner can use the tranq shots to do so and trick those who weren't aware since the monster will be capped as soon as the trap triggers if all the conditions are met and enough tranq has been applied.
Even if you're not trying to be stealthy, people who don't realize tranq shots have an enormous effective range and can be applied beforehand will think you're some kind of wizard when the monster charges the trap and is capped instantly. I've had to explain what happened to people more than once.

Mephala

Is anyone online? Should I make a room? I'd prefer to join another's room because I probably won't be on for too long.

Even if you're not trying to be stealthy, people who don't realize tranq shots have an enormous effective range and can be applied beforehand will think you're some kind of wizard when the monster charges the trap and is capped instantly. I've had to explain what happened to people more than once.

Yeah, this series is worse than Dark Souls when it comes to how things work behind the scenes. I realised the tranqs work this way when I blew 4 bombs into a Rajang whom was not quite near death enough back in MHFU. I hate go wail on him a bit more then trap again. As soon as he touches the trap, Quest Cleared!

Quadratic

Is anyone online? Should I make a room? I'd prefer to join another's room because I probably won't be on for too long.

Yeah, this series is worse than Dark Souls when it comes to how things work behind the scenes. I realised the tranqs work this way when I blew 4 bombs into a Rajang whom was not quite near death enough back in MHFU. I hate go wail on him a bit more then trap again. As soon as he touches the trap, Quest Cleared!

I'm off today. I can play maybe for 45 mins. Post your room info.

EDIT: I'll make a room: 01 Free A Lobby 4 NeoGaf pass: gaf

Pila

I remember the first time I tried to capture a monster, I trapped him way too early and I proceeded to waste my tranqs ^^ after that smart move I was like: "No biggie, got another trap", that day I also learned that you can't lay a pitfall trap on water...

Edit: on a second thought, that couldn't be my first time, it was a lagia and I think that the game makes you trap something else before the lagia...

Anura

I remember the first time I tried to capture a monster, I trapped him way too early and I proceeded to waste my tranqs ^^ after that smart move I was like: "No biggie, got another trap", that day I also learned that you can't lay a pitfall trap on water...

Edit: on a second thought, that couldn't be my first time, it was a lagia and I think that the game makes you trap something else before the lagia...

There is a capture a Shirabear quest that's a key in offline mode super early.

Edit. Azuros I mean. His non-localized name was like Aoashira or something and I still like to call him by the Shirabear nickname I gave him.

tuffy

Edit. Azuros I mean. His non-localized name was like Aoashira or something and I still like to call him by the Shirabear nickname I gave him.
And as a fun bit of trivia, that 2 star one is the only required capture quest in the game. All the rest of them are optional.

Anura

And as a fun bit of trivia, that 2 star one is the only required capture quest in the game. All the rest of them are optional.

Yeah, I noticed that! So nice. I bet they did it because they realized nobody like all those required capture quests in the original Tri.

Mephala

Shirabear is a pretty cute name. I still call Nargacuga Naruga. >.<

Anura

Too bad I'm cooking right now...
I would have come.

I still call almost every monster by its original name but not online because of the confusion.
"Who the hell are those GURAN MIRAOSU, DOBOLUBERUKU and HAPPURUBOKKA???"

Jinouga>Zinogre

Ugh, I had switch over because I was tired of explaining it to randoms... Jinouga is still such a cool name and it rolls over the tongue so well! But I refuse to completely switch to Nibelsnarf when simply saying Hapul is a million times less stupid.

Shengar

Screenshot%202014-08-27%2010.34.03.png

What is the meaning of that black circle inside? Is there any difference between weapon who have full colored circle and not?
Also negative affinity means that....you have a chance to do reduced damage, right?

DaBoss

Screenshot%202014-08-27%2010.34.03.png

What is the meaning of that black circle inside? Is there any difference between weapon who have full colored circle and not?
Also negative affinity means that....you have a chance to do reduced damage, right?
That indicates that you need to have the Awaken skill to have that elemental power on the weapon.

Yes.

Mephala

Oh I see, so that what it is.

How much is the reduction? Does Expert skill will nullify that?

+Affinity is 125% damage. Negative is 75% damage.

If you have Expert, it will add it on top of your current affinity. So with Critcal Eye+3 you have +30% affinity. If you start at -15% then you should be on 15% affinity. Meaning 15% chance that you will do 125% damage on the attack.

Shengar

+Affinity is 125% damage. Negative is 75% damage.

If you have Expert, it will add it on top of your current affinity. So with Critcal Eye+3 you have +30% affinity. If you start at -15% then you should be on 15% affinity. Meaning 15% chance that you will do 125% damage on the attack.

That not sounds too bad at all. Is there any special effect when you land a critical hit?

ohlawd

That not sounds too bad at all. Is there any special effect when you land a critical hit?
yeah you'll see a flash at the point of contact. I forget the colors but it's easy to spot when you're hitting a monster and one of the hits looks different than normal

tuffy

As I recall, positive critical hits are larger, light purple hitflashes while negative critical hits are smaller, dark purple hitflashes. But I just assume the criticals will even out over time and treat affinity like an adjustment to attack power, like:

Weapon's Effective Attack = Weapon's Raw Attack × (1 + (Weapon's Affinity ÷ 400))

So in this case, the Tribulation's effective attack power would be:

924 × (1 + (-15 ÷ 400)) = 924 × (1 - 0.0375) = 924 × 0.9625 = 889.35

Top Bottom