• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Hey everybody! I've been lurking for the past week or two since getting my very first Monster Hunter game through the awesome Mario Kart promotion. I've always been interested in the series (and hype surrounding them) since I heard about them during the PS2 era. Although I owned a Wii, Tri came out during a time where I had plenty of other games to play, and I didn't have the proper time to devote to the game. Anyway, I tried out the demo when it came out on WiiU and was really disappointed with it. It lived up to all my fears I had about the game, boring, repetitive, bad controls, wierd complicated game design. But I could'nt say no to a free game, and I'm always ready to give any game a second chance. Now I'm 30 hours into the game, there's still loads of stuff I don't get, but I do 'get' the game at its core, and it's really fucking awesome. Wether I'm out in moga forest gathering resources or hunting the next crazy huge monster, this game is such a great experience that I'm almost retroactively mad at the bad impression the demo gave me.
I just reached the big fish monster, Glupol?, in single player. I've only used long sword so far, but I feel I like both the speed and power, will perhaps try another weapon later on. My equipment is Jaggi->Ludroth. I tried some of the port mission alone a fee days ago, and they seemed crazy to me at the time(two large monsters at the same time o_O), so I dipped my feet online yesterday and had a great time, eventhough killing Lagiacruz 3 probably makes the future encpunter less climatic.
Anyway I figure I will finish the solo game for now and then start my online journey. Last time I played a game with a gaf community it made the experience many fold better, so I can't wait to share some fun with you guys :D

Shengar

Thanks for the useful replies! Those are some interesting information.
White sharpness kills Tribulation sadly. You're better off sticking with the Brachy LS if something is ice weak.

I just interested in Wild Heights actually, being accessible with High Rank Duramboros and having a gem slot.

Hey everybody! I've been lurking for the past week or two since getting my very first Monster Hunter game through the awesome Mario Kart promotion. I've always been interested in the series (and hype surrounding them) since I heard about them during the PS2 era. Although I owned a Wii, Tri came out during a time where I had plenty of other games to play, and I didn't have the proper time to devote to the game. Anyway, I tried out the demo when it came out on WiiU and was really disappointed with it. It lived up to all my fears I had about the game, boring, repetitive, bad controls, wierd complicated game design. But I could'nt say no to a free game, and I'm always ready to give any game a second chance. Now I'm 30 hours into the game, there's still loads of stuff I don't get, but I do 'get' the game at its core, and it's really fucking awesome. Wether I'm out in moga forest gathering resources or hunting the next crazy huge monster, this game is such a great experience that I'm almost retroactively mad at the bad impression the demo gave me.
I just reached the big fish monster, Glupol?, in single player. I've only used long sword so far, but I feel I like both the speed and power, will perhaps try another weapon later on. My equipment is Jaggi->Ludroth. I tried some of the port mission alone a fee days ago, and they seemed crazy to me at the time(two large monsters at the same time o_O), so I dipped my feet online yesterday and had a great time, eventhough killing Lagiacruz 3 probably makes the future encpunter less climatic.
Anyway I figure I will finish the solo game for now and then start my online journey. Last time I played a game with a gaf community it made the experience many fold better, so I can't wait to share some fun with you guys :D

Lagiacrus, and to a lesser extent the G Rank gating monster, Ceadeaus, are really the only two whose impact is lessened by going online. If anything, multiplayer is so much easier that it's recommended to tackle single player later on, after you've fully caught on to everything and feel like you can start soloing monsters.

Mephala

Lagiacrus, and to a lesser extent the G Rank gating monster, Ceadeaus, are really the only two whose impact is lessened by going online. If anything, multiplayer is so much easier that it's recommended to tackle single player later on, after you've fully caught on to everything and feel like you can start soloing monsters.

I would probably add Deviljho to the list even if he is all the way at the end.

PKrockin

I would probably add Deviljho to the list even if he is all the way at the end.

I actually fought Deviljho online the first time and he still strikes fear into my heart. But yes, I find it more fun to go toe-to-toe with monsters alone the first time.

Mephala

I was fighting some Brachs today and I discovered that you can't take multiple potions anymore. In MHFU, if you keep pressing the drink button you can chug more than one potion before needing to flex. You essentially just keep knocking your head back with the potions to your lips.

Not really a biggy but interesting.

tuffy

While chugging through an HBG-only playthrough (which is going rather well!), I looked ahead a bit and just noticed how absurdly powerful the Jhen Cannon and Jhan Dracannon are compared to everything else available at that point in the game. The latter's 340 attack power equals what you get from the G rank Empress's Blossom, but you can get it as early as the 9 star Village quests.

The big problem is trying to find something that'll crouch-fire something strong enough to bring him down. If the Snarf gun's normal lv. 3 or the Plesi gun's pierce lv. 2 can't do the job, there's going to be a lot of spamming dragonship weaponry in my future.

ohlawd

so Capcom's gonna have a sale on the eShop in less than an hour. It'll have Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for both systems among other things. I'm expecting $20 for that so hop on that if you want a digital copy <3

Mephala

I kind of do but I own both physical copies already and I probably can't get back the $40 if I were to sell them out. And with MH4U coming it seems like needless money spending.

I also just bought Toukiden...
I'm a traitor I know u_u
Anyone here play that?

While chugging through an HBG-only playthrough (which is going rather well!), I looked ahead a bit and just noticed how absurdly powerful the Jhen Cannon and Jhan Dracannon are compared to everything else available at that point in the game. The latter's 340 attack power equals what you get from the G rank Empress's Blossom, but you can get it as early as the 9 star Village quests.

The big problem is trying to find something that'll crouch-fire something strong enough to bring him down. If the Snarf gun's normal lv. 3 or the Plesi gun's pierce lv. 2 can't do the job, there's going to be a lot of spamming dragonship weaponry in my future.

My first Jenny involved a lot of bombs. Partly because my weapons weren't doing much at the time and I wasn't great at the dragonship weapon timing. I actually didn't expect to kill it and was quite surprised when I did. Every little bit helps I guess.

ohlawd

you're sick :3

I was going to but decided not to. I forget the reasons. Guess I didn't want a diluted MH experience. I've been burned too many times with other hunting action games so forgive me for being wary. I did enjoy the demo for what it is though.

That Toukiden expansion... Kiwami or whatever is coming out ext year. I'll probably pick that one up. If it comes out around the time MH4 also drops, hahahah lolno, all aboard the MH train.

Haunted

I was fighting some Brachs today and I discovered that you can't take multiple potions anymore. In MHFU, if you keep pressing the drink button you can chug more than one potion before needing to flex. You essentially just keep knocking your head back with the potions to your lips.

Not really a biggy but interesting.
It's a really big adjustment to make when you're coming straight from Dark Souls 2 as well. :D

Mephala

That's a really big adjustment to make when you're coming straight from Dark Souls 2 as well. :D

Actually now that you mention it it was also something I noticed in Dark Souls as well. There is actually a lot of little things in the series that I first encountered in MH. Not a bad thing.

you're sick :3

I was going to but decided not to. I forget the reasons. Guess I didn't want a diluted MH experience. I've been burned too many times with other hunting action games so forgive me for being wary. I did enjoy the demo for what it is though.

That Toukiden expansion... Kiwami or whatever is coming out ext year. I'll probably pick that one up. If it comes out around the time MH4 also drops, hahahah lolno, all aboard the MH train.

I bought it after I enjoyed the demo. I was sold by the weapons (spear fan) and Japanese-y style aesthetic.
Let me just say however that one of the key things that makes Monster Hunter so damn enjoyable that all these other hunting games do not have is the somewhat goofy but charming characters/designs. From Felynes to monsters to gestures. Everything is exaggerated and a little quirky. Flexing after a potion is absurd but also hilarious as is the awful steak grilling.
I've tried a lot of hunting games and so far this is the second with combat that I find acceptable to my peculiar tastes. I can't really explain it. I still prefer MH but it may be a case of getting used to it. The only other hunting game I enjoyed the combat for was Gods Eater but that game had its own problems and the combat is far from MH's pace.

I'm always slow when it comes to the end game in my hunting games. I dislike the grind and don't really care for awards and crowns. I just like killing stuff and collecting things but the desire sensor slows that part right down. I have 2 more monsters I haven't killed yet though so I'll still be on MH3U. I'm just... experimenting :D

After our MH4U I'll hassle you to get the next Toukiden with me. ;)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Wii U is 16 bucks, 3DS is 20.

EDIT: Even if you have a physical copy of 3U on Wii U the digital one does have a slight performance increase in load times. Not that the physical version takes forever mind you.

ohlawd

alright Meph, I'll look forward to the hassling :3

yeah 16 bucks. oh em gee, this is the like fourth time I've said it's a steal at that price on this forum. The value is too good.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I bought it when it went on sale for 30 for the Wii U, despite at that time figuring I'd never play it. You see I have owned every single MH game released in the US before this and put somewhere between 5 minutes (MH) and a few hours (MH Tri+the demo) in it.

A friend tried to get me into MH (he wasn't even into it yet but he also had bought the most recent ones) and let me borrow his copy of 3U. The font was too small, I couldn't really figure out how to make progress. But then one time on a fish or cut bait day right before last christmas we tried a little online play, did Quad and Ludroth and somehow it got into my system.

Since then I've put in 160 hours, picked up the 3DS version for 20 bucks during the last sale and put in another 60 hours on that via transferring the save. Now I'm hooked and waiting for 4u.

Hi all,

So i'm picking this up on Wii U later since I'd been waiting for a price drop and it just went down to $16.

- As someone coming into the series with basically 0 experience, what are the newbie tips/tricks/helpful things to know/etc? I'm worried I'm going to not get into it because it seems too difficult or grindy but I know if I stick with it and fully understand the game I'll love it.

- Will I have trouble finding people to play with online randomly since the game is getting old? Or do I need to join up with a crew here?

Thanks guys!

Hi all,

So i'm picking this up on Wii U later since I'd been waiting for a price drop and it just went down to $16.

- As someone coming into the series with basically 0 experience, what are the newbie tips/tricks/helpful things to know/etc? I'm worried I'm going to not get into it because it seems too difficult or grindy but I know if I stick with it and fully understand the game I'll love it.

- Will I have trouble finding people to play with online randomly since the game is getting old? Or do I need to join up with a crew here?

Thanks guys!

My advice is find a weapon that works for you, there isn't any right weapon. All of them will get the job done, its more about how you want to play then "i have to have x weapon to defeat x monster". Arena quests are good to find a weapon you like to use.

As for online I only have the 3DS version so I can't say but it does seem like there are rooms opening up for GAF all day, every day. Take it slow and enjoy the "grind".

tuffy

Think of it like a 1-on-1 fighting game with big monsters as your opponents. The game will let you go in swinging nonstop like any other fighting game, but that's not going to get you very far. Instead, you've got to anticipate what move's coming next, dodge/block that move and punish your opponent with attacks of your own.

There's a lot more to it than that, of course, and the game will do its best to ease you into things before throwing large monsters at you with a number of tutorial quests meant to demonstrate the basics against less threatening things. But if you stick around for the first couple of hours and pay attention to all the hints spouted by the NPC villagers, I don't think it'll take long to get up to speed.
There's still lots of randoms online at all hours of the day, moreso on weekends. But GAF crews can be around to help whenever schedules permit.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Community won't really die down for a long time. 4U might put a big dent in it but since the game isn't going to be on the Wii U any time soon if ever there will still be an audience for MH on Wii U...maybe. Should be good for the next 4 months at least though.

Thanks guys!
I got the game a few weeks ago, and this was also my first MH game, and I feel that the game did a very good job at introducing you to its premise. I'm now 30 hours into the game and feel like I'm well prepared for what the game throws at me.

I'm sure you aren't the only newcomer to the series who bought it because of the sale, just like a lot of Europeans got the game because of the Mario Kart promotion. If anything, I would love to play with you online once you feel like dvelving into that. I'm still Hunter Rank 1, which is the initial rank for online quests.

Have fun!

PKrockin

You need 10 SP or more for skills to take effect. Or -10 or below for bad skills. Wearing a matching set of armor is the easy way to get several skills to +10.

A monster drooling, slowing down or stumbling doesn't mean it's ready to be captured. That means it's low on stamina (tired and hungry). Limping and going to sleep is the indicator its health is low enough to be captured.

Quadratic

Got the Wii U digital copy today from the sale on the eshop. Now waiting for it to finish downloading. Anyone want to play in ~1hour or so? I'll post a room when my download completes.

Shengar

Community won't really die down for a long time. 4U might put a big dent in it but since the game isn't going to be on the Wii U any time soon if ever there will still be an audience for MH on Wii U...maybe. Should be good for the next 4 months at least though.

And there are some monsters (speculatively) not available in MH4U, so it could at least gave some incentive some people to keep playing MH3U if they want to kill those unavailable monsters.
I love Lagiacrus underwater fight

PKrockin

And there are some monsters (speculatively) not available in MH4U, so it could at least gave some incentive some people to keep playing MH3U if they want to kill those unavailable monsters.
I love Lagiacrus underwater fight
I love underwater fights
with the lance only

So I got a couple of questions.

The option to forge the Windeater longsword opened up to me, and the sword seemed mighty impressive compared to the one I had, and the windeater was also cheaper than other apparently weaker swords. Then I read up on weapons and discovered that weapon-trees are where its at. A root weapon may not be that great, but it can potentially be upgraded to a high level weapon. And windeater has a short weapon-tree making it less valuable. So far so good. Reading about which weapon to go for, I also saw some comments mentioning that you should be careful about wasting rare drops on weapons you're only gonna use for a short time. Anyway to identify rare drops? I probably haven't encountered any yet, but it would suck if I wasted them on something useless.

Also I have 3/5 of a full Lagiacrus armor set, I haven't equipped a full set yet, and this one seems to be awesome(as well as the only rare3 armor). My plan is to use armor sphere+ on the entire set. I haven't used any armor spheres yet because it seems wasteful to use on beginner armor. But would it also be a waster to use them on a Lagia set, is a new and better armor right around the corner? Or will armor sphere+ come plenty later on?

Thanks for the help!

Pila

The option to forge the Windeater longsword opened up to me, and the sword seemed mighty impressive compared to the one I had, and the windeater was also cheaper than other apparently weaker swords. Then I read up on weapons and discovered that weapon-trees are where its at. A root weapon may not be that great, but it can potentially be upgraded to a high level weapon. And windeater has a short weapon-tree making it less valuable. So far so good. Reading about which weapon to go for, I also saw some comments mentioning that you should be careful about wasting rare drops on weapons you're only gonna use for a short time. Anyway to identify rare drops? I probably haven't encountered any yet, but it would suck if I wasted them on something useless.
Check your drops' description. It says something like "RARE5", the best stuff is RARE9. The more valuable drops are called mantles, rubies, pallium... you'll get used to the names. Check out this site:

www.kiranico.com

You'll find all the info you need about your drops (and other things).

Also I have 3/5 of a full Lagiacrus armor set, I haven't equipped a full set yet, and this one seems to be awesome(as well as the only rare3 armor). My plan is to use armor sphere+ on the entire set. I haven't used any armor spheres yet because it seems wasteful to use on beginner armor. But would it also be a waster to use them on a Lagia set, is a new and better armor right around the corner? Or will armor sphere+ come plenty later on?

Thanks for the help!
Better armors are always around the corner, that's Monster Hunter ^^ typically you don't wanna forge a lot of low rank / high rank armors because they're going to be useless when you hit g rank but, you know, I think you should play as you like more: do you wanna forge a lot of stuff before moving to g rank? Fine, do it. End game is funny tho, get there eventually.

Armor sphere+ will become pretty common later in the game.

---

So couple of days ago I bought a 3DS and 3U just to play it during my lunch breaks =( please send help over here, I'm a junkie. ^^

Edit: I can't believe Nintendo announced a new 3DS with a second stick today, I'm such a smart buyer.

Mephala

Anyway to identify rare drops?

Rare items often have something to do with gemstones. Some keywords to look for are Ruby, Sapphire, Gem, Mantle and a few others.

Some items aren't "rare" but can be a little difficult to get. For instance, some need monster part breaks for better chances but if you didn't know that you could be quickly killing the monster and not getting the item. Meanwhile, an actual rare item often has a 1-6% chance to drop.

At the rewards screen I generally glance at the icons and try to look for special looking ones or ones that are uncommon. If you see an icon that looks like a rising sun it is generally a rare drop. Sometimes items that look like bombs can be good too.
XKqEO1W.png
IwZvG71.png

Using rares on weapons are better than armor early on in my opinion. Assuming the weapon has a decent path and can keep you going for a while as you keep feeding it.

Lagiacrus armor set

Thanks for the help!
Its not a bad set though I prefer the Volvidon set for its skills and some prefer Rathalos or Wroggi for the attack up skills. There isn't really a wrong pick if you make use of the skills. Even if you just wear random scraps, at least your defense is high (though I don't recommend this).

Don't worry too much about armor spheres. You will find plenty more as you mine for other things. Also, high rank armor skips armor spheres and goes straight to sphere+ or higher depending on the armor.

Edit. Beaten like a first Yian Garuga encounter.

tuffy

Rare drops tend to look different from more common ones, often appearing as shiny gems or gleaming lumps of whatever. But in the case of the Windeater, the rarest thing in that whole line are the Wyvern Stones - which aren't even especially rare. So there's nothing to worry about if you feel like forging them.

Also, don't feel the need to hoard Armor Spheres either. Just as low rank armor eventually becomes obsolete, so do low rank spheres. For instance, high rank armor typically won't use any regular Armor Spheres to upgrade and might only need a single Armor Sphere+ per piece. Similarly, G rank armor rarely needs any high rank spheres to upgrade. So as long as you're not forging a lot of full low and high rank armor sets, you're liable to get a lot more spheres than you need just in the course of doing quests and mining for ores. Better to use them up while you still need them.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Reasons I always suggest you go with Wroggi for Low and High Rank.

1. You look like a cowboy/cowgirl.
2. It is the second easiest set to get. It only takes a few fights to get all the pieces.
3. You can beat Wroggi's like a government mule with no armor/lower ranked armor for high rank.
4. Immunity to poison makes Giggi/Rathian fights much less stressful.
5. Not having to sharpen as often is really handy.

ohlawd

yep, always a riot to see someone using a mixed set but almost no relevant skills are active.

like an actual mixed set and not someone who has 4/5 Brachy X parts and 1 Gigginox X. Easy to see there they're just trying to get that last piece.

tuffy

My nephew still assembles armor sets primarily on the basis of defense value and looks.

Helping him farm a full set of Miralis using nothing but local multiplayer forced me to become a much better player than I had been before.

Carlisle

I bought it when it went on sale for 30 for the Wii U, despite at that time figuring I'd never play it. You see I have owned every single MH game released in the US before this and put somewhere between 5 minutes (MH) and a few hours (MH Tri+the demo) in it.

This is me. I've got MHFU and Tri and I booted them each up I think once and forgot I had them. Too many other games, too much backlog, too short of an attention span, etc. I always see ravings about MH3U on here and this sale price is a really good sweet spot, but I'm afraid it'll be the same story as the last two MH games I bought. As a recent SMT convert (same story there until I took a chance with P4G and fell in love), I know I can come around to MH if I give it a proper chance, but does lightning strike twice?

I've gone back and forth a dozen times. Replayed the demo again, but still unsure. Your story explains exactly where I'm at and where I "think" I'll be once the game clicks, but if it hasn't clicked by now...?

smashism

Probably been asked a million times, but I am still having trouble finding a clear answer.

If my friend with a 3DS version comes over to play with me on my WiiU version, can we go online together?

tuffy

Probably been asked a million times, but I am still having trouble finding a clear answer.

If my friend with a 3DS version comes over to play with me on my WiiU version, can we go online together?
Unfortunately no. The Wii U version has 3 Port areas, one for single player, one for local multiplayer and one for online. The local multiplayer area lets you host up to 3 other 3DS players at once, and the online area lets you play with up to 3 other Wii U players at once, but you can't do both at the same time.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Ohhh so that's what the "multi" port is... I was wondering.

I was theorizing that people who didn't use the mic were using the 3DS and maybe voice quality is bad there so they turn it off, but nope, I'm only playing with Wii U folks so... I don't get why so few people use voice chat, it's so useful.

Anyone else annoyed by little kids? Twice I got a kid (different one each time) entering my room lately, and being very demanding and impatient. Like he'd say "can we hunt X?" and I'd say sure. But then while we prepare they keep saying "go!" and "hurry!", like... calm down, junior. And then of course they die all the time and say "sorry" but one had the gall to ask my friend to leave because his "armour is weak" (he died once, he was a gunner and got unlucky) while the kid himself died twice. And my friend put the monster to sleep to bomb it but the kid apparently didn't know about sleep bombing and woke the monster up. lol. Yeah, no, I'm not kicking out my regular coop partner because you're clueless, boy. >_<

I probably sound like a grumpy old woman, but it baffles me to see these kids (one of them was 12, I actually asked him lol, a French kid) coming in for help and then acting like they're the boss, asking people to "hurry" (I remember one typing "3.... 2.... 1..." like he was gonna leave without the last player getting ready, just.... WTF) and being all demanding and entitled. Kids these days, no patience and no manners, I tell ya. :p

ohlawd

yeh that surprises me too

GAF, u shy?

I'm not really confident about my own voice but come on, it can't be worse than mine :D

PKrockin

Ohhh so that's what the "multi" port is... I was wondering.

I was theorizing that people who didn't use the mic were using the 3DS and maybe voice quality is bad there so they turn it off, but nope, I'm only playing with Wii U folks so... I don't get why so few people use voice chat, it's so useful.

Anyone else annoyed by little kids? Twice I got a kid (different one each time) entering my room lately, and being very demanding and impatient. Like he'd say "can we hunt X?" and I'd say sure. But then while we prepare they keep saying "go!" and "hurry!", like... calm down, junior. And then of course they die all the time and say "sorry" but one had the gall to ask my friend to leave because his "armour is weak" (he died once, he was a gunner and got unlucky) while the kid himself died twice. And my friend put the monster to sleep to bomb it but the kid apparently didn't know about sleep bombing and woke the monster up. lol. Yeah, no, I'm not kicking out my regular coop partner because you're clueless, boy. >_<

I probably sound like a grumpy old woman, but it baffles me to see these kids (one of them was 12, I actually asked him lol, a French kid) coming in for help and then acting like they're the boss, asking people to "hurry" (I remember one typing "3.... 2.... 1..." like he was gonna leave without the last player getting ready, just.... WTF) and being all demanding and entitled. Kids these days, no patience and no manners, I tell ya. :p
Wow, I haven't had a single experience like that. Everyone's been very chill. In fact I don't see many kids either.

No idea why more people don't voice chat though. Surely not everyone has a roommate watching The Real Housewives of Orange County in the same room. Maybe we all have crippling social anxiety.

Garteal

Sorry to hear that Morrigan. Those impatient people are the worst. In my play time I've only met one kid who had his mic on but luckily he wasn't a spammer.
I've noticed that a lot of people simply have game chat turned off and/or have the mic setting set to their gamepad where the volume is set to zero and they can't hear you.

Funnier is when someone has his mic on and he doesn't know it and you can hear all their stuff. I do try to tell em but sometimes they just don't seem to understand and leave it on.

Top Bottom