• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

I want to learn the gunlance, do you have something to say to a novice? I'm reading a guide right now, it's very different from my main weapons.

I always refer to this guide I found because I forget what combo to use for each shot type.

"Normal (5 rounds. 1.1x Bonus to Full Burst):
Save shells for when you can Burst. This type of shell gets a bonus to that. In general, your main combo when applicable is Step Poke, Poke, Poke, Rising, Slam, Burst. You can do WF whenever you feel you have an opening for it. As you play, you'll notice when you'll have less time to get the Pokes in, so you'll want to do a Rising, then dodge the fuck out of there.

Long (3 Rounds. 1.2x Bonus to Wyvern's Fire):
Shells shine here when you extend your combo with them. Charging them is a time waste, unless your trying to shoot something out of the sky. Your main combo when applicable is Step Poke, Poke, Poke, Shell, 2x Poke, Sh- and so on until your empty, then end it with Rising, Slam. Throw in QRs where you feel works, such when the monster is moving away from you. Bursting is almost useless, but can be nice if you think the monster will run away to zone or you think your only chance to not get hit is to get a lucky flinch. For WF, you want to use it as much as possible. This shell type boosts WF. USE IT. This will be the type where you'll want to learn how to WF at every opportunity instead of just when the monster is down.

Spread/Wide (2 Rounds. 1.45x Bonus to Charged Shells):
Charged shells are king here. They get boosted. You basically handle yourself the same you would when using Long, but making sure to charge your shells instead. Knowing when to QR is also very good for this type, as you only have the two shots. Charged shells do require more time, so be careful about it. WF importance is the same as Normal type, so whenever applicable. Never, ever, use the Burst. This shell type gets a modifier that weakens the Burst (0.9x to be exact.). You will do less damage Bursting here than you would just firing off two non-charged shells."

World's Demise, The Disasualty, and the Nether Jugulus are my go-to Gunlances.

Rawk Hawk

Had quite the scare last night.. retried Pink Rath with my new Wroggi S gear, and beat her. Took just about all the items I brought with me, but I beat her. Collect my stuff, return to town and we lost power at my house. I happen to be grabbing a drink in the kitchen, so I had no idea if I got back to Moga or if it was still saving. This morning, the power was back on and luckily it had saved. On to Plesy!

upandaway

I always refer to this guide I found because I forget what combo to use for each shot type.

Save shells for when you can Burst. This type of shell gets a bonus to that. In general, your main combo when applicable is Step Poke, Poke, Poke, Rising, Slam, Burst. You can do WF whenever you feel you have an opening for it. As you play, you'll notice when you'll have less time to get the Pokes in, so you'll want to do a Rising, then dodge the fuck out of there.

Shells shine here when you extend your combo with them. Charging them is a time waste, unless your trying to shoot something out of the sky. Your main combo when applicable is Step Poke, Poke, Poke, Shell, 2x Poke, Sh- and so on until your empty, then end it with Rising, Slam. Throw in QRs where you feel works, such when the monster is moving away from you. Bursting is almost useless, but can be nice if you think the monster will run away to zone or you think your only chance to not get hit is to get a lucky flinch. For WF, you want to use it as much as possible. This shell type boosts WF. USE IT. This will be the type where you'll want to learn how to WF at every opportunity instead of just when the monster is down.

Charged shells are king here. They get boosted. You basically handle yourself the same you would when using Long, but making sure to charge your shells instead. Knowing when to QR is also very good for this type, as you only have the two shots. Charged shells do require more time, so be careful about it. WF importance is the same as Normal type, so whenever applicable. Never, ever, use the Burst. This shell type gets a modifier that weakens the Burst (0.9x to be exact.). You will do less damage Bursting here than you would just firing off two non-charged shells."

I'll add that for normal moves, the best stuff are the forward stab (especially with shots, stab->shot->stab->shot combo has amazing DPS), forward swing (super-best) and the upwards swing (deceivingly strong, making the GL great for cutting high tails).

Always keep your Wyvern Fire cooldown going, don't reload in the middle of dealing damage (yeah the full burst deals more damage with full ammo. not worth it.), and remember that even without any shelling, GLs are still very good if you play them right. I killed tons of monsters without a single shell out of curiosity, went fine.

Haunted

800+ quests with the GL and I never knew there was a bonus multiplier on certain shots with the various shell types (I thought they just determined magazine size).

Game's depth is amazing.

Quadratic

Anyone have some gear suggestions for a Limiter removed God's Archipelago?

I know the skills I should be looking at is Artillery expert, Load up, Bombardier, Recoil +2.

Or should I keep the Limiter on and go for a Bonus shot DPS set? Status Attk +2?

I want to ask people who have experience with it.

I feel I don't use the LBG to it's potential. The gunning is very specific.

tuffy

Anyone have some gear suggestions for a Limiter removed God's Archipelago?
Limiter removed with a silencer installed and Load Up seems more popular since it gives you 12 crag shots and 12 clust shots across all three levels once the status shots kick in.

But it goes against my instincts because I'm not used to switching from one shot type to the next in succession like that. My finger wants to automatically mash the reload button every time there's an opening and a clip is out, so admittedly I don't use the God's Archipelago all that often myself.

Anura

I might be able to help if I get back early. Two guns should wreck goldie and seeing as we already have Tuffy on board it should be a snap!

Quadratic

Looking to farm for Diablos hardhorns tonight.

If the Goldbeard room is full I wouldn't mind some help

02 Free B
Lobby 2

NeoNeo
Password: gaf

Hey MH3U Gaf. I'm a DS/GS noob who's been playing single player. Just finished all the 3 star quests & heading into the 4's. Is this a good time to explore multiplayer?

tuffy

How many diablos did we kill? Anyways, got one after Tuffy left. That desire sensor was strong tonight.
Eight, according to my guild card. The odds of doing "Plain Dangerous" eight times, breaking the horns each time and coming up empty on all of them is about 7% if I'm doing my math right.

Getting 2 or 3 of them is most likely, so that's one serious outlier.

Shengar

I prefer Barioth Z. I like how it looks, but its mix of Attack and Evade Dist along with a 3 slot leg piece makes parts of it essential for my best HBG sets.
I've seen the armor list, and there are tons of better armor out there (heck, I even think Lagiacrus U is much more fitting for my style). But screw that, I want WEAR that armor.
It's easily my favorite too.
I want to stop playing after Deviljho, saving up the hunt itch for MH4U so I can play other games, but damn, my mind just keep convince that I should play until I got that armor.
Too bad Barioth doesn't make a return in MH4U ;__;

Anura

I've seen the armor list, and there are tons of better armor out there (heck, I even think Lagiacrus U is much more fitting for my style). But screw that, I want WEAR that armor.

I want to stop playing after Deviljho, saving up the hunt itch for MH4U so I can play other games, but damn, my mind just keep convince that I should play until I got that armor.
Too bad Barioth doesn't make a return in MH4U ;__;

We don't know much of any monsters that are new/returning to 4U. Bari wasnt in 4 but right now he could very well be in 4U. There actually hasn't been a lot of new stuff shown but I don't doubt the new stuff is there

So awesome, after getting HR3 last night I decided to do another Brachydios run (my 5th) and didn't get the gem. I decided to check Cha-cha and Kayamba's carves since I hadn't done it in a while and Cha-cha was holding a Brachydios Gem!

ohlawd

the skill isn't hard to gem in.

it's one slot, +2. I forget what the mats are

I have so much trouble getting Brachy gems. I expect gems and mantles from other monsters in like 5 quests tops

Heroman

Banned
the skill isn't hard to gem in.

it's one slot, +2. I forget what the mats are

I have so much trouble getting Brachy gems. I expect gems and mantles from other monsters in like 5 quests tops

Cause the chance of getting them is so fucking low. Who ever thought it was a good idea of making them that rare should have to farm them forever.

Cause the chance of getting them is so fucking low. Who ever thought it was a good idea of making them that rare should have to farm them forever.

It was probably to keep people from being able to spam Slime as easily.

EDIT: I'm going to be playing in a bit, for now getting weapons of each type (still lol), so that I can use my SnS to full potential. Anyone mind helping me out for a bit?

ohlawd

they're about the same as the other rares. I mean that as raw percentage, carving/capping is like 2-3% just like for other monsters and their rares.

shinies from the puddles show up at a decent rate too

I can show up in... an hour probably ;_;

they're about the same as the other rares. I mean that as raw percentage, carving/capping is like 2-3% just like for other monsters and their rares.

shinies from the puddles show up at a decent rate too

I can show up in... an hour probably ;_;

Fine with me, I think I just need to hunt some LR Barioths for a bit.

Anyone who is interested in joining now, I've got a room started up called "Nibelsnarf", just search for Nibel as the target.
NNID is H3XAntiStyle.

ohlawd

I'll be right there

edit: I swear you guys love to snipe lobbies lol. Call me when there is room >_>

I'm gonna try my luck and find randoms to help with getting to HR7

Its apparently dinner time. I'll make a room afterwards, though it wont be for Nibelsnarf. I just need one more Purple Ludroth to max that branch, then its on to my Zinogre stuff.

Top Bottom