• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

So far everytime I've been online there have been people around me so I've opted not to use voice chat. But I don't see why not using it if you are alone, text chat seems so impractical in tense moments.
I probably sound like a grumpy old woman, but it baffles me to see these kids (one of them was 12, I actually asked him lol, a French kid) coming in for help and then acting like they're the boss, asking people to "hurry" (I remember one typing "3.... 2.... 1..." like he was gonna leave without the last player getting ready, just.... WTF) and being all demanding and entitled. Kids these days, no patience and no manners, I tell ya. :p
No such experiences yet, but it's crazy how many French players I run into. The game must be really popular in France.

Mephala

So far everytime I've been online there have been people around me so I've opted not to use voice chat. But I don't see why not using it if you are alone, text chat seems so impractical in tense moments.No such experiences yet, but it's crazy how many French players I run into. The game must be really popular in France.

Depends what sort of room you're in. I've gone into some rooms that are pretty much just constant farming. I understand the more runs the better but damn playing like that sucks the fun out of the game. On the other hand I've run into some really casual players which are far more enjoyable.
One fellow was hunting Barioths and I figured I'd help them out as I can begin making the armor but then after a few hunts started taking Agnaktors. I'm fine with that. It was the first time he saw someone side-step the beam with a lance. :p

Online voice chat is a gift and a curse lol, for MH3U there are moments when everything on someone's end sounds like a submarine's echo sonar XD

As for popularity of MH it seems to be France and Germany where it is most popular, European country wise anyway. IIRC was the same for Tri, at least Capcom has chosen to combine European and American servers together.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Online voice chat is a gift and a curse lol, for MH3U there are moments when everything on someone's end sounds like a submarine's echo sonar XD
Yeah I don't get that. My friend, with whom I regularly play, sounds so clear and fine, then I get people who sound like they're talking into a WW2 walkie-talkie. lol

Yeah I don't get that. My friend, with whom I regularly play, sounds so clear and fine, then I get people who sound like they're talking into a WW2 walkie-talkie. lol
Yeah I have no idea how the sound is produced by their end but sometimes they don't realise they're making the sound as well, and those noises can get loud D=

smashism

Thanks Quad and Sassy for helping me make it to high rank today.

I feel like I am getting a handle on multiplayer. It's fun watching others play and picking up on some tactics, such as when we started using bombs after sleeping the monster.

Few questions,

1. How was I being healed by other players?
2. When should I start making different armors other than my classic standby wroggi and jaggi. I've been using them to negate poison or stuns depending on the monster I fight.
3. I am high rank now. What does this mean?

Heroman

Banned
Thanks Quad and Sassy for helping me make it to high rank today.

I feel like I am getting a handle on multiplayer. It's fun watching others play and picking up on some tactics, such as when we started using bombs after sleeping the monster.

Few questions,

1. How was I being healed by other players?
2. When should I start making different armors other than my classic standby wroggi and jaggi. I've been using them to negate poison or stuns depending on the monster I fight.
3. I am high rank now. What does this mean?
1. Either by lifepower which is a item, or by the skill widerange which allow s one to group heal.
2. You make Hr Worrgi or Vol. gear
3. High rank mean that you have a new tier of quest. In this tier there are new drop, new monsters and monsters are stronger and faster.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Getting Wroggi S is a great place to start. Not hard either in upgraded Wroggi armor. It's good enough to get you to G Rank or at least to one of the good H rank armors.

Reasons I always suggest you go with Wroggi for Low and High Rank.

1. You look like a cowboy/cowgirl.
2. It is the second easiest set to get. It only takes a few fights to get all the pieces.
3. You can beat Wroggi's like a government mule with no armor/lower ranked armor for high rank.
4. Immunity to poison makes Giggi/Rathian fights much less stressful.
5. Not having to sharpen as often is really handy.
Ok I have a question. I decided to go Lagiacruz armor set. I upgraded it fully to armor sphere+. I did a gathering mission where Gigginox showed up, although it was a difficult fight(used all mega potions and antidotes) I did manage to kill it. Then a mission to hunt it showed up, and I thought instead of making the Wroggi gear to become immune to poison, I should forge that antidote decoration that goves 3 in poison now that I have armor with 2 slots.
I still brought some antidotes to the fight which was lucky as the antidote jewel seeming,y didn't change much. I manage to kill giggi in the end of anoer long fight.

So what's up with decoration? I don't think they work as I think they do. Also there are soool many skills, speed gathering and gathering? Eating, hunger, gluttony?
Anyone in particular I should focus on being a Long Sword user, I do have the grinder jewel for sharpening as that makes sense being a blademaster.
Oh and I really like to help buddies as much as possible so I have two friendship jewels to boost wide-range, is that ok or is the second one redundant?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Ok I have a question. I decided to go Lagiacruz armor set. I upgraded it fully to armor sphere+. I did a gathering mission where Gigginox showed up, although it was a difficult fight(used all mega potions and antidotes) I did manage to kill it. Then a mission to hunt it showed up, and I thought instead of making the Wroggi gear to become immune to poison, I should forge that antidote decoration that goves 3 in poison now that I have armor with 2 slots.
I still brought some antidotes to the fight which was lucky as the antidote jewel seeming,y didn't change much. I manage to kill giggi in the end of anoer long fight.

So what's up with decoration? I don't think they work as I think they do. Also there are soool many skills, speed gathering and gathering? Eating, hunger, gluttony?
Anyone in particular I should focus on being a Long Sword user, I do have the grinder jewel for sharpening as that makes sense being a blademaster.
Skills are only active if you have at least 10 points in them. Having 3 in poison does absolutely nothing. If you equip a jewel with 3 in the poison skill, you need to gem in the rest in your available slots to reach 10. Some skills get better at +15 or even +20, but you always need at least +10 minimum.

You can open your status and check under "active skills" to see what skills are active. The best way to get active skills is to make a full set of a specific type of armour (e.g. a full Wroggi set). Mixing and matching is generally a bad idea unless you're finding significant overlap in skills or know exactly what you're doing.

Skills are only active if you have at least 10 points in them.
Ahhhh! That makes sense, so all these various small decorations I have forged are pretty much useless at this stage. So would want to use decorations just to push that skill over the limit to activqte it or improve it.
Is there a way to see inactive skills so you can judge which decorations to use to activqte them?

Edit: just found the big skill table under the status menu! Time to get smarter, thanks for the help!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Ahhhh! That makes sense, so all these various small decorations I have forged are pretty much useless at this stage. So would want to use decorations just to push that skill over the limit to activqte it or improve it.
Is there a way to see inactive skills so you can judge which decorations to use to activqte them?

Edit: just found the big skill table under the status menu! Time to get smarter, thanks for the help!

Keep in mind that while most activate at 10 there are some that have an upgraded version that activates at 15. Like +attack.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Welcome! And yes decorations are usually to complement a talisman you have equipped (for example, I have a talisman with Tremor Res +7, and I gemmed in +3 worth of Tremor Res to make it +10), or to complement an incomplete armour set (say you have a full Lagi set except the helm because you're missing the parts, in the meantime you could always gem in the missing skills you want to push them from like +8 to +10). Sometimes they can be to push from +10 to +15.

Watch out for negative skills too. At -10, you can get a penalty. Sometimes it's trivial or even irrelevant, for example, you could have a Status Attack Down (with Status Atk-10) but if you're using an elemental weapon or a weapon that doesn't inflict status effects, it won't affect you. But sometimes you can get a nasty effect, so you could gem in a +1 to bring the negative skill to -9 so that it won't be active.

Enforced

Hey guys. I was wondering if its worth for me to buy Monster hunter 3DS just to play with my brother on local which he'll play on wii u version.

tuffy

Hey guys. I was wondering if its worth for me to buy Monster hunter 3DS just to play with my brother on local which he'll play on wii u version.
I've had a lot of fun with 3DS/Wii U local multiplayer. It's easiest to coordinate when two players are in the same room looking at the same screens than it is trying to chat over microphones or through text messages. The downside is that one can't go online and play locally at the same time, but it seems Port hunts are balanced for 2 hunters anyway so it works out.

Absolutely. Four players is nice for quick grinding but like Tuffy said, it's balanced for two players so you should have a lot of fun this way with a small amount of challenge.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Two player local is the sweet spot with this game. Fights are hard but not too hard and you have perfect communication available. You can easily plan out strategies before getting into the fight and talk about exactly what you're going to bring.

Quadratic

Going to make a room in about an hour if anyone needs help.

I should pay it forward since I got a ridiculous 3 cloudy moon shards from one Lucent Narga last night :)

Fedemgsuy

Any kind souls out there willing to help a noob out?, loving the game, but i kept getting destroyed by any of the large monsters online, im on WiiU btw :D

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Woohoo, got a narga mantle. I almost have a full Narga X set, but I made vorvi braces (to complement the missing Evasion skill + my Tremor Res talisman) and gemmed in the rest, because fuck farming for another mantle. Seriously, Capcom, requiring two of the rarest drops for the armour is just evil. ;_;

Since I also finally got a brachy gem (because turns out it's not even the rarest drop, fuck you palliums ;_;) I could actually max out my slicers. So now I got Spectral Demolishers and a Narga set, I should be ready for the end-game stuff right? >_>

Pila

Woohoo, got a narga mantle. I almost have a full Narga X set, but I made vorvi braces (to complement the missing Evasion skill + my Tremor Res talisman) and gemmed in the rest, because fuck farming for another mantle. Seriously, Capcom, requiring two of the rarest drops for the armour is just evil. ;_;

Since I also finally got a brachy gem (because turns out it's not even the rarest drop, fuck you palliums ;_;) I could actually max out my slicers. So now I got Spectral Demolishers and a Narga set, I should be ready for the end-game stuff right? >_>

Congratz on the mantle, cloudy moonshard is even worse to farm. :p

The spectral demolishers are insanely good, they almost break the game with their power ^^ I love them, I'm a big fan of dual blades with 500+ usages.

Loving the gunlance, WF feels sooooooo good =) I'm liking it even more than the hammer.

Haunted

Every time someone says "Cloudy Moonshard" some part of me just wants to cry...
I've done 15 (I know, not a lot) Lucents so far and haven't gotten a single one yet.

The funny part is that I don't just need one Cloudy Moonshard; at this point I have five different weapons ready to upgrade and the only thing that's missing for each is that damn shard.

invisibility.gif

tuffy

For Brach Palliums, there's always "Cold Day in Hell" for its great quests rewards odds.

But for the dreaded Moonshard, all you can do is add Carving Master, run the event Lucent quest for its better odds, or do a bunch of quick Sonic Bomb runs looking for a lucky shiny drop.

Anura

I wouldn't mind slaughtering that Chameleos wannabe a few times. I have yet to forge any of its weapons.

Forge the G&D Rath DS, get some mega juice, get a set with Razor Sharp + Shapness +1 and demon dance on legs

It's simple, easy and only takes 20 minutes solo at most.

Pila

During my first moonshard farming I got really lucky, I think it took two/three hunts. The other times... it was terrible. ^^

So the gunlance, it's pretty nice but it burns sharpness a lot! I knew the thing was like that so I added the "Sharpness" skill to my set but yet it lasts like two minutes. Should I just deal with it? I don't know, maybe I just shell too much... I'm using a long GL so I usually try to use shells and WF during good openings.

Haunted

I don't use voice chat when playing with strangers. Experienced hunting teams know what to do even without communication. *nods silently*

I'm usually on Skype when playing with friends, though.

Mephala

Forge the G&D Rath DS, get some mega juice, get a set with Razor Sharp + Shapness +1 and demon dance on legs

It's simple, easy and only takes 20 minutes solo at most.

That sounds like it will need a mantle. I also have none of those skills at the moment. Still wearing headless Soul Z.

Top Bottom