• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

tuffy

I should be able to make it then. It'll be a nice change of pace from my HBG-only re-run (now up to high rank offline!), though I may be a bit rusty.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So the gunlance, it's pretty nice but it burns sharpness a lot! I knew the thing was like that so I added the "Sharpness" skill to my set but yet it lasts like two minutes. Should I just deal with it? I don't know, maybe I just shell too much... I'm using a long GL so I usually try to use shells and WF during good openings.
Which gunlance is that? Maybe I'm playing it wrong, but my Jho gunlance lasts quite a bit before needing a sharpening, unlike my dual blades. I tend to play the gunlance defensively though, and I use the wyvernfire only when I feel very sure it won't miss (such as when the monster is knocked down, trapped, etc.).

Guy, I just got 3 narga mantles in one quest.
Grrrrr. That's what I hate about stupid rare drops like that. It's broken as fuck. Also, when you get that rare gem or whatever after you finished your set and don't need it anymore. But you can't bring yourself to sell it, just in case you ever want to make another rare set and such... >_<

Got to the volcano in single player and did most of the quests. The monsters arecstarting to het huuuge. Duremboros(?), was crazy, and it took ages to kill it. And then I ran, unprepaired, into a Volvidon(?, that rolling motherfucker), in a gathering quests. If I hadn't run out of cool drinks I would have had it.

Also, I've already spent 50 hours on this game, and barely feel like I've started probably, grinding notwithstanding, there really is a huge amount of content in this game.

Yup. Just found I can mass combine just by holding A, as opposed to tapping A over and over and over and over and over and over again.

FML. At least it gets better from here eh?

tuffy

When Crimson Peco calls in Deviljho and Jho then kills him with one of this tail spin/lunges, it's extremely satisfying.

Dumb bird had that coming.

Haunted

I'm heading online now, any GAF rooms open?

Yup. Just found I can mass combine just by holding A, as opposed to tapping A over and over and over and over and over and over again.

oh god you tapped?

I salute your broken and battered finger. Even holding is a bother when you're making hundreds of Potions and Mega Potions at a time.

When Crimson Peco calls in Deviljho and Jho then kills him with one of this tail spin/lunges, it's extremely satisfying.

Dumb bird had that coming.
Diablos charging into another monster in the same area is extremely satisfying. Once he hit a Volvi in mid-roll, knocked him back and out cold (not seeing stars, but lying face down, tongue hanging out). Oh, how we laughed and laughed.

Anura

I have been playing this series almost non-stop for 4 years and have never noticed this...

Mephala

I have a decently easy mix somewhere... It might need kush waist but most is Ceantuar

I love the kushy's armor. I had a mixed set of it for aesthetics and just casual hunting. I don't think I ever made the GRank ceantuar though. I think I had the Hermitaur? for fun though.

LKWJE:LRKJE:LKRJ!
FUCK YOU DESIRE SENSOR!!!

Spend three hours saving and reloading to try and get the 3 Long Fragments I needed. (And finally succeed)
Move onto "Large" Fragments.
Think, "Oh well this'll be easy, I can send all three ships out and not worry about them being 4 star!"

30 minutes later, nothing. Notice one of my ships is 4 star, send it out.
Brings back 2 Long Fragments. No Large Fragments yet.
WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

Mephala

I'm not available until later in the night. Probably about 6 maybe 7 hours from now. Dat time zone. I really want to join in. I need some scutes too!

Pila

Which gunlance is that? Maybe I'm playing it wrong, but my Jho gunlance lasts quite a bit before needing a sharpening, unlike my dual blades. I tend to play the gunlance defensively though, and I use the wyvernfire only when I feel very sure it won't miss (such as when the monster is knocked down, trapped, etc.).
It's the chariot gun, I need some stuff to get the last upgrade. Pretty short white line, it turns blue in a minute.

tuffy

I never knew about this either...

But I swear I tried to do mass combining.
What's also somewhat obscure is that you can permanently reorder the positions of items in the combination list by grabbing an item with "Y" and slotting it into a new position. I've sorted my list so that the most common shots I use are first in the list, even before using the "combinable" resort.

Quadratic

What's also somewhat obscure is that you can permanently reorder the positions of items in the combination list by grabbing an item with "Y" and slotting it into a new position. I've sorted my list so that the most common shots I use are first in the list, even before using the "combinable" resort.

That's a good tip I need to try. When I need to make more shots I use the touch pad of the 3ds and cycle through pages while running and dodging.

also

Banned

I just found out this recently. Super useful when you forget to synthesize a farcaster during the Arena and Tower quests and need to do so while the monster is in the same area.

Haunted

7ruq9e4.jpg

dat mass exodus

I had to go offline anyway, but picking Jhen is the most surefire way to empty a room (sry Camille). :D

tuffy

Jhen's a little dull, sure, but it's not like he's some huge challenge once you've got his pattern down. The high rank one in particular goes down in about 10 minutes with a party full of G rank gear.

PKrockin

Jhen really is by far the most boring monster in the game to fight, with Caedeus at #2. I'd rather mine or catch bugs for 30 minutes honestly.

ohlawd

I've killed Jhen probably 50 times across all 3rd gen MH games and I still find him fun like it was my first time >_>

PKrockin

I was trying to look up some MH3U gameplay footage earlier and does it seem to anyone else like there are only painfully unskilled "WHAT IS A VIDEO GAME? WHICH BUTTON DO I PRESS" and ultra hardcore speedrun videos? I wanted to show someone what it's like for most people playing the game, people who aren't clueless but aren't gods yet either, but it was kind of hard to find any multiplayer videos like that especially with commentary.

Doombear

I was trying to look up some MH3U gameplay footage earlier and does it seem to anyone else like there are only painfully unskilled "WHAT IS A VIDEO GAME? WHICH BUTTON DO I PRESS" and ultra hardcore speedrun videos? I wanted to show someone what it's like for most people playing the game, people who aren't clueless but aren't gods yet either, but it was kind of hard to find any multiplayer videos like that especially with commentary.

You try Twitch? I know there are plenty of people there that stream their hunts and are neither pros nor entirely clueless. I would think there has to be more videos there of the kind that you are looking for, possibly (more likely?) even a livestream.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So as a Great Sword user I should probably get used to fighting Jhen and SSJhen over and over again to get most of the pieces of a decent set, right?

I suck at Jhen...

Anura

So as a Great Sword user I should probably get used to fighting Jhen and SSJhen over and over again to get most of the pieces of a decent set, right?

I suck at Jhen...

I have a punish draw/crit draw/speed sheathe/sharp+1/tremor resist set that's a ton of fun to use. It only needs Snaf and Blos parts.

Haunted

Alright, who's down to get some shit done tonight? (except Jhen)

Daddy needs a new switchaxe.

I'm making a room. Free D Lobby 1

password: gaf

Haunted

The most awkward part of a GAF Hunting Room is when there's 2 or 3 people in there. Do you wait for another one or go with a smaller quest in the meantime?

Top Bottom