• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Help a rusty player out: skill points don't mean jack unless I accumulate enough to activate a skill. T/F?

Ultratech

Help a rusty player out: skill points don't mean jack unless I accumulate enough to activate a skill. T/F?

Yup. Most skills require at least 10 points to activate, with some requiring up to 15 or 20.

Some skills can also give negative abilites, if you have enough negative skill points. (Like -10 in Expert giving you Critical Eye -1.)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Man Azure Los was a disappointment. Is he even any different aisde from his stupid tail not being cut-able with green?

Also, I say this every time I face him (or one in this case, his Sand variant), but Barioth sucks. Might be my least favorite monster. Half boring Rathalos/ian I've fought a billion times before, half annoying prick running around the map. Idiot. Love smashing his stupid sabertoothed face in.

JoeFu

Banned
Did everybody dc? Is my Internet dead again........

Yup it crapped out... I guess this is a good stopping point then. Sorry! Was fun everybody!

L Thammy

Man Azure Los was a disappointment. Is he even any different aisde from his stupid tail not being cut-able with green?

He can do the Pink Rathian's fire bite when flying. He doesn't fly back to position from his poison dive. I think his charge has slight homing. So in total: disappointment is a good word.

Baleful Gigginox should be the new standard for subspecies, at least.

Also, I say this every time I face him (or one in this case, his Sand variant), but Barioth sucks. Might be my least favorite monster. Half boring Rathalos/ian I've fought a billion times before, half annoying prick running around the map. Idiot. Love smashing his stupid sabertoothed face in.

D:
Capcom, make Barioth hard again. You're killing him!

Neki

He can do the Pink Rathian's fire bite when flying. He doesn't fly back to position from his poison dive. I think his charge has slight homing. So in total: disappointment is a good word.

Baleful Gigginox should be the new standard for subspecies, at least.

D:
Capcom, make Barioth hard again. You're killing him!

Baleful Gigginox is easier than regular Gigginox, just for the fact that there is no stupid poison shit, and it seems to jump around 20x less.

L Thammy

Baleful Gigginox is easier than regular Gigginox, just for the fact that there is no stupid poison shit, and it seems to jump around 20x less.

But at least he feels different from normal Gigginox. Azure Rathalos and Steel Uragaan are lame.

Sand Barioth is EPIC.

Just one weapon, thankfully. I'm hopeless with LS and DS so couldn't even begin to imagine having to use those against every monster.
But if you want piercings you need to beat every arena quest with every weapon. It's not hard, just time consuming. Feels good to have 50+ Hunter King Coins. :p

vareon

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";56722500]Killed Ivory Lagiacrus before he started limping :-(

I wanted to cap him again...[/QUOTE]

If you can kill him before limping, you probably can spare 1 skill for Capture Guru.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Nargacuga was pretty cool. Super easy for some reason, but fun. Can't wait to fight
the Lucent subspecies.

Also it isn't like I find Barioth easy. I said he was half-boring, cause he is, but as a Great Sword user his other half is what gives me trouble. He's fast, but in the most annoying way. Zinogre and Nargacuga are more enjoyable even though they're fast (or even faster.)

hunnies28

Guys a big question. I'm 100hrs in but I want to know in which table I am, I can check at any point in the game right?

I didn't care at first but since I was trying to get Narga Medullas and only getting one after 15 hours I started wondering.

Funny thing , I'm doing the three colurful beasts quest for this and keep getting Zinogre Jaspers ( I have like 20 right now).

I also get a lot of Maestro and Expert charms.

ramyeon

Guys a big question. I'm 100hrs in but I want to know in which table I am, I can check at any point in the game right?

I didn't care at first but since I was trying to get Narga Medullas and only getting one after 15 hours I started wondering.

Funny thing , I'm doing the three colurful beasts quest for this and keep getting Zinogre Jaspers ( I have like 20 right now).

I also get a lot of Maestro and Expert charms.
The tables only affect which charms you can get. And yeah you can check at any time.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Wow what's the point in that? Gigginox was already stupid easy, shouldn't a sub species make him harder?

Fistwell

And skills activate when a stat hits 10, 15, 20, etc right? How do I know which stat activates which skill? Or am I misunderstanding?
If your character has even a few points in that skill, go to status, scroll sideways till you get to skills, then press up/down on the pad to highlight the skill you're interested in. In the window on the left, you'll see how many points you need to activate what skills as well as what the skill name is.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Honestly, I used Volvidon all the way to G-rank. You could easily do the same with Jaggi or Wroggi. Focus isn't really that great for LS. Crit Eye and Tremor resist are nice though. The attack up on Duram is good, but Fortify isn't a good skill. Recovery speed is nice, but there are better sets out there. At the end of the day it all depends on your playstyle and picking skills that compliment that.

And skills activate when a stat hits 10, 15, 20, etc right? How do I know which stat activates which skill? Or am I misunderstanding?

Killing I lagi too quickly? Solo the event one! Problem solved! :)
Uggh, I'm getting too good at fighting him. This last cap I got him to limp in the first room after about 4 minutes. I didn't know that if he limps in the room he normally limps back to he winds up going all the way to the water cave. So annoying.

7 caps and still no sapphire -_-

I'm trying for felyne carver and/or lucky cat every time it pops up, too.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Well to be me at least, I have no troubles with Baleful compared to regular, but some people may find him harder.

Well, if Baleful has no poison, I would imagine it would be FAR easier.

Kyzon

Just got a Lucent Narg Axe. This thing is sexy as all hell!!! Time to start using axes. No more tripping everyone for a while ;)

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";56733726]
7 caps and still no sapphire -_-

I'm trying for felyne carver and/or lucky cat every time it pops up, too.[/QUOTE]

I feel you...I capped 30+ Azure Rathalos for the ruby...and 15+ Ivory Lagia for the sapphire....and I haven't even reach mantle stage yet.

So excited for the G-rank volcano gather quest, but then i got slapped by HR7 requirement :-(

Promised my friends I'd save G-rank for them so I'm just sitting around finishing an armor set.

I feel you...I capped 30+ Azure Rathalos for the ruby...and 15+ Ivory Lagia for the sapphire....and I haven't even reach mantle stage yet.

Doesn't even seem like the event G-rank version is a better option. extra 2% on capture rewards, but you lose 2% on the shiny drop and it's a harder battle.

...and I need two sapphires :-(

thetrin

About to do some Duramboros grinding for armor going into HR3. Anyone want to join me?

B-Dubs? L Thammy?

Fistwell

you can basically find him and 'save' that guaranteed spawn instance and spawn him over and over. The catch is that the person spawning him needs to take one for the team and get no loot, so the idea is you go until that guy gets a black blood then have everyone else split up and try to get their own guaranteed spawn.

I don't know the exact details because I don't particularly care, I was just listening in on the dudes I was playing with. I did get some blood but I don't really need the belt for anything, I wanted to fight Savage Jho that's it. I think it involves spawning him, abandoning and exiting without saving. Or something.

Basically this.
- 4 persons, each eats food for Gamechanger and pick their own "Night Stalker" quest
- Go to area 4 of Flooded Forest. If a normal Jho shows up, abandon and SAVE. If a Savage Jho shows up, abandon and DONT save.
- Come back to the port, the person who found a Savage Jho needs to close the game without saving. The safest way is to use WiiU Home button to close it.
- That person launches the game, load the saved file, go to online and re-join the same room he quitted.
- That person eats food for Gmaechanger and picks "Night Stalker" and a Salvage Jho will 100% be there.

You can do this trick offline by yourself and when you find s.Jho just quite without saving as explained above and reload and go online to post a Savage Jho quest. You will run into some assholes who leave the room and never come back or those who sit around and let others do searching job for them.

Belated thanks for the detailed explanations. Joined a savage jho room yesterday. Fight was made a little more stressfull because I joined the room last, they yelled at me to hurry up already, and I somehow fumbled the food and didn't get the dragon defense I kinda needed. Result: fighting dragon-breath-spamming nightmare with -20drag res. Lots of superman diving. Fun fight though.

However, got exactly 00.00 (ZERO) bloods. ;_;

Anybody interested in doing some savage jho this weekend? Or at least in giving it a try? Doing it with pubs sounds like a bit of a gamble given the progressive suckiness steadily seeping into G servers (or is it me imagining things? Peolpe in G servers used to be almost uniformly competent a few weeks ago.... not so much nowadays). Though I can always not save and reset if things go south.

I might try spawning him tonight if I'm bored. The annoying part is not being able to do anything else and/or make any progress till you fight him. Not to mention taking one for the team if noone else reciprocates.

Yeah this is kind of a dickish situation isn'it? Not that I really need to finish that particular set (but might as well). I also wouldnt mind messing around with some jho weapons, although they kind of ugly.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";56711176]The upgraded dash actually makes dodging seem like a normal action game for once. the A+X attack cancelling into it is so good. Do the evasion skills upgrade the demon dash?[/QUOTE]

Demon Dash is amazing. It feels so good to attack a monster, slide gracefully under their tail swipe and continue your assault.

Vinci

Danish
So four days into owning a Wii U, I bought this game. First Monster Hunter experience, enjoyed the demo. Got no clue what the hell I'm doing, but I enjoy Sword and Shield and Dual Swords.

Anyway, I'm not much use to anyone at the moment, but if you'd like to add me for future hunting, my NNID is Mezzaerin.

Thank you. Continue talking about things I don't understand. =)

Fistwell

Anyway, I'm not much use to anyone at the moment, but if you'd like to add me for future hunting, my NNID is Mezzaerin.

Thank you. Continue talking about things I don't understand. =)
You should hop online and say hello sometime. Don't hesitate to ask if you need info or help. Have you been initiated to the wonderful and arcane art of charm table selection yet?

Liethe

Basically this.
- 4 persons, each eats food for Gamechanger and pick their own "Night Stalker" quest
- Go to area 4 of Flooded Forest. If a normal Jho shows up, abandon and SAVE. If a Savage Jho shows up, abandon and DONT save.
- Come back to the port, the person who found a Savage Jho needs to close the game without saving. The safest way is to use WiiU Home button to close it.
- That person launches the game, load the saved file, go to online and re-join the same room he quitted.
- That person eats food for Gmaechanger and picks "Night Stalker" and a Salvage Jho will 100% be there. .
Just to be exact here, the host of the quest (who has Savage saved up) does not need to necessarily have Gamechanger. Someone joining the quest must, however. So even if you dont get it, as long as one of you does, you are good.

Vinci

Danish
You should hop online and say hello sometime. Don't hesitate to ask if you need info or help. Have you been initiated to the wonderful and arcane art of charm table selection yet?

I don't even know what a charm table is. So no? Looking forward to it, I'm sure. And yes, as I play the game, I'll be sure to say hello, ask for help, bitch and moan... Typical gamer stuff.

Mondriaan

Belated thanks for the detailed explanations. Joined a savage jho room yesterday. Fight was made a little more stressfull because I joined the room last, they yelled at me to hurry up already, and I somehow fumbled the food and didn't get the dragon defense I kinda needed. Result: fighting dragon-breath-spamming nightmare with -20drag res. Lots of superman diving. Fun fight though.

However, got exactly 00.00 (ZERO) bloods. ;_;

Anybody interested in doing some savage jho this weekend? Or at least in giving it a try? Doing it with pubs sounds like a bit of a gamble given the progressive suckiness steadily seeping into G servers (or is it me imagining things? Peolpe in G servers used to be almost uniformly competent a few weeks ago.... not so much nowadays). Though I can always not save and reset if things go south.

I might try spawning him tonight if I'm bored. The annoying part is not being able to do anything else and/or make any progress till you fight him. Not to mention taking one for the team if noone else reciprocates.

Yeah this is kind of a dickish situation isn'it? Not that I really need to finish that particular set (but might as well). I also wouldnt mind messing around with some jho weapons, although they kind of ugly.
Why bother trying to fight a savage jho right now? At some point there will probably be an event quest featuring it and all the hours you wasted on save/reset could have been better spent grinding on something else like one million resource points.

I love the Nargacuga's Ridge Racer Type-4 eyes, wish you could fight him in near/pitch darkness.
Oh, does anybody ever hear the Metal Gear codec ring during a certain battle theme? Can't remember which but I hear it ever time.

uuuugh I guess I'll reveal a secret.

if you take a slickaxe/armor stone into a quest, combine an item, and then abandon the quest, you get your original items back, but the combo list still logs it.

I only used two slickaxe and two armor stone while completing my whole combo list

I used this trick for Slickaxes but where did you find the Armor Stones?
Are they just in hidden areas like Slickaxes?

I still haven't found a single one :'(

Yall better start making notes.

Apparently you need to collect and trade every commodity in the game, and the Brady Guide is missing two: Atlantis Crab (4* Fish, Boat) and Eldest Saturnian (Saturnian Trap, Farm).

EDIT: Or maybe not, it seems you only need to collect large monster commodities, no need to trade.

Ughh so you need to receive the commodity for ever monster that springs up in the woods? Is there a list of all who appear?

Mupod

I like fighting him because he's fun and terrifying. Not that bad with an HBG either, but holy hell dodging through his breath with evade+1 is some ass-clenchingly intense stuff. But yeah if you want to get a guaranteed spawn going I'll help. My last run we had an HR6 gunner with 200 defense in the room...he died from the very first breath. Somehow managed to survive the rest of the fight, but I don't think he did much of anything outside of shoot him from way out of his effective range while standing in water or next to zone exits.

I got 0 blood, 1 blood, and 3 blood so far. Gotta make sure you capture, since it only happens as a free hunt or capture reward. I have the blademaster belt made but I could think of a few uses for the gunner one. Too bad Fury is such a dumb skill, you need to be above a certain hp threshold to activate the Guts part of the skill but if you want the adrenaline+2 part you need to be below it.

I used this trick for Slickaxes but where did you find the Armor Stones?
Are they just in hidden areas like Slickaxes?

I still haven't found a single one :'(

Fishing fleet, pirate's tomb. You need to upgrade them fully and wait until days where they 'made some upgrades', and from there it's a fairly low chance.

Fistwell

Why bother trying to fight a savage jho right now? At some point there will probably be an event quest featuring it and all the hours you wasted on save/reset could have been better spent grinding on something else like one million resource points.
Because it sounds like a fun thing to do. More so than grinding for a million resource points or waiting for DLC to serve it up on a plater.

Maybe I won't be saying that after the 3rd hour of restarting the quest though.

I like fighting him because he's fun and terrifying. Not that bad with an HBG either, but holy hell dodging through his breath with evade+1 is some ass-clenchingly intense stuff. But yeah if you want to get a guaranteed spawn going I'll help.
Cool, let me know around what times would work best for you. I might start trying to spawn him on my own when I get out of the office in a cple of hours. I'll post here if I do succeed and we can sorta play it by ear from there. If he doesn't turn up we can organize a meetup later tonight or tomorrow or something.

My last run we had an HR6 gunner with 200 defense in the room...
Hahahaaa! Well, I mean, good for you that it ended well, but, yeah... every now and then you do get that guy with either no restraint or self awareness and, yeah, catastrophe waiting to happen.

Top Bottom