• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Oh, forgot to mention, I find the underwater bits terrifying ;_; I think Emerald Weapon from FFVII scarred me for life, whenever I go underwater I'm constantly on edge. :eek:

Oh, forgot to mention, I find the underwater bits terrifying ;_; I think Emerald Weapon from FFVII scarred me for life, whenever I go underwater I'm constantly on edge. :eek:
Oh boy lol you are not gonna like one of the later level where you have to fight underwater the whole quest XD

Edit: Damn you desire sensor as well, captured 20 Brachydios and still no gem T_T in my last online hunts that is...

chrono01

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";56918176]She doesn't play Monster Hunter :-([/QUOTE]

:(

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";56918176]Plays the hell out of Fire Emblem, though.[/QUOTE]

:)

Haunted

SUCK IT EVENTACRUS

SUCK IT HARD

Finally did it with some randoms who had the patience and caution necessary to survive this battle. First comment afterwards:
I went through hell to get just one diploma? I need five!
:lol

We laughed and laughed until we realised it was the same for all of us.

;_;

Just started playing this game for the first time today. I have no idea what I'm doing, seems like there's a pretty big learning curve. So far I've cleared through the Jaggi(a?) boss quest, and unlocked the desert plains area. I've been dumping most of my loot into my item box because I'm not sure what to do with a lot of it - I've slowly purchased new armor and upgraded it (currently at the Hunter+) and I've played around with a few of the beginner weapons, so far I quite like the double blades - is there a general consensus on which weapons are better than others? I tried the katana type longer sword but it was a little unyielding for me.
Enjoying it though, despite being a little bewildered!
Thumbs up, you're doing everything right. Defeating the Arzuros and Great Jaggi is just your first step into the world of monster hunting. :D

The great thing about Monster Hunter's weapon balance is that every weapon is viable, it's all down to preferences and weapons that are better suited to a specific playstyle. If you think the Longsword is too unwieldy, the SNS and Dual Blades might be good, they're the fastest weapons in terms of mobility.

But definitely try out other weapons as well, at least give them a shot for a quest or two - maybe you'll like a defensive weapon like the Lance or Gunlance even more, or enjoy the satisfying feeling of nailing a charged Hammer or Greatsword attack. You never know until you try!

Think of the weapons as the "classes" of this game - depending on the weapon you wield, your playstyle and approach will change wildly.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";56918176]She doesn't play Monster Hunter :-(

Plays the hell out of Fire Emblem, though.[/QUOTE]
Good enough, sir!

Aelucanth armor acquired!

385 Defense
15 Lightning Resistance
High Grade Earplugs
Dragon Attack +1
Anti-Septic
Evasion +1

I am ready for you, Ivory Lagiacrus!

Edit: You can change the entire color of the Aelucanth armor, not just the borders. :-O

So i made the barioth g set and its matching DS and sns, only to realize i have no clue what to gem it for. So far all I've thought to do was get ice+2 and evade+2 and cancel out the minus stamp. Suggestions?

So i made the barioth g set and its matching DS and sns, only to realize i have no clue what to gem it for. So far all I've thought to do was get ice+2 and evade+2 and cancel out the minus stamp. Suggestions?
For DS and SnS, I'm all about one of Razor Sharp or Speed Sharpening (or both!).

Man I got a new dance from Argosy and set both my Shalashashkas to the double healing combo. I haven't used a single item since I got it :-o

Also, I'd gladly give up the DS rapid slashes if I could use Demon Dash without charging up Demon mode. I've been using DS with Evasion+1 and it's so good. I only ever get tagged when I do the slashes and the monster recovers faster than I was expecting.

Can't you dodge through all roars with Evasion+2?

Think so.

Satch

Banned
PSA: When you get to G Rank, always bring LIFEPOWDER.

Sometimes, using just one is the difference between a successful and unsuccessful hunt for the team.

Beats

Hmm, I think it would have been cool if there were some quests that took place in the arena with multiple monsters in the lower ranks. Those are probably my favorite quests to do in G-rank.

Hmm, I think it would have been cool if there were some quests that took place in the arena with multiple monsters in the lower ranks. Those are probably my favorite quests to do in G-rank.

You just wanna beat up on lower rank monsters with G-rank gear in an arena setting, don't you

If you time it right, yeah.

Though there's like one or two you can't roll through like Dire Miralis just because it lasts so long.
It's a good idea to emergency dive through it if you can't roll, because you'll still recover earlier and have more control over your character. Sometimes you can even get a hit in.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Cut the Barroth's tail 6 times, not a single tail drop.

uTvCxHd.png

vareon

Decided to hunt Zinogre this morning for the lulz. Carved Skymerald from its tail and another one from the rewards. _:)3 」∠)_

35 Earth Crystals in 20 minutes at the G Rank Deserted Isle Harvest Tour (Area 4). Just ran laps around the cave and the nodes kept respawning. Not too bad, I think. Could've gotten more if I had Iron Pickaxes, but just brought 5 Megas.

Haunted

Ugh, this Ivory Lagiacrus is harder than Alatreon. :(
Hits so hard.

You played a beautiful support hunting horn, though. (ღ˘⌣˘ღ) I kinda want to make that one as well now. Health Recovery (M) and (L)? Very useful.

In one mining run:
Earth1.png

That was cheese! I can probably fully upgrade the rest of the Worn weapons that I have (already have the Hammer, HH, LBG and now the GL) with a few more runs.

Satch

Banned
The Damascus X armor is pretty good for... something, but I don't know what yet. Whatever it is, you'll be wanting a Lightning weapon for it.

So far, the Active Skills I have are

Thunder Atk+1
Punishing Draw
Speed Sharpening
Sharpness+1
Blunt Edge (I can't get rid of it :[)

I'm trying my hardest to get a weapon with two slots so I can gem in the last two points needed for Crit Draw, but I don't have many options.

Anyway, I only made the Damascus X armor because it's really pretty. *.*

Alsoooooo, the low rank Zinogre set is aesthetically perfect with the Zinogre X waist. Everything is finally right with the world.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, is there any rhyme or reason to when the little masked assholes use their abilities? Because currently it seems to be "any time I don't need it".

Health near maximum? Health boost! Almost dead? No health boost!

L Thammy

Okay, is there any rhyme or reason to when the little masked assholes use their abilities? Because currently it seems to be "any time I don't need it".

Health near maximum? Health boost! Almost dead? No health boost!

In my experience, they first do some buffs. Then they heal you provided they have enough stamina and aren't raged.

The problem is that they can't stop the song they're doing. If you take a bunch of damage and hear the tippity-tap of Shakalaka toes, they're going to try to heal you whether or not you waste that Mega Potion.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I've managed to get over a lot of this game's more infuriating aspects, and even embrace some of them. But there's still one thing that makes me scream "bullshit!" every time it happens, and its the difference in the way it treats player and monster hit boxes. If my hammer swing is even an inch to the left of the monster's model, well, of course it doesn't hit. But if a monster charges at me and very clearly misses me by a good foor or so I still get knocked down for like three seconds.

I've managed to get over a lot of this game's more infuriating aspects, and even embrace some of them. But there's still one thing that makes me scream "bullshit!" every time it happens, and its the difference in the way it treats player and monster hit boxes. If my hammer swing is even an inch to the left of the monster's model, well, of course it doesn't hit. But if a monster charges at me and very clearly misses me by a good foor or so I still get knocked down for like three seconds.

I still fucking hate the fact that monsters can be outside of the zone borders/knock me out of the area.

But game's good otherwise.

L Thammy

I think I've finally made enough sacrifices to appease the Random Number Gods.

Needed ElderDragonBloods to finish my Eternal Glyph, so I killed two or three Jhens. Four Earth Dragon Gems. Don't even know what to do with them.

And I got that Lagia Sapphire I needed when I was trying for Lagia Horn+.

I still fucking hate the fact that monsters can be outside of the zone borders/knock me out of the area.

Think of it as breaktime. You got knocked into a different area, so heal and sharpen before you go back on your way.

Top Bottom