• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Which Helios combination is recommended?

I've heard full Helios X except waist Helios Z. Then a friend used full Helios Z except waist Helios X...supposedly for sharpness.

Which one is better?

LukeSmith

Is there some "magical seed" that a player can have? One of my friends that I play regularly with gets the rarest gems from each monster we kill 100% of the time.

MARK OF A HERO COMPLETE!

Aelucanth gear got me through Ivory Lagiacrus no problem. It took me two tries, but I took down all three with high rank gear and only died once. I stuck to my goal and used a hammer, too. I took Brachydios down exactly as the timer hit 5:00 (as in, I got my warning as I killed him).

I'll share my strategy for others.

Aelucanth armor gives 15 lightning res, but has -20 fire res. So I ate for double fire res, and got it up to +7. Otherwise Azure Rathalos hurts big time when he gets a fireball in. The armor is great because it gives High Grade Earplugs, so no roar combos. It also gives you Anti-Septic, so Slime never sticks to you. That's nice for saving a few rolls here and there when you get hit by Brachydios. Of course, I gemmed in Evasion +1.

I put Cha-Cha on the Ultimate Mask with Seven Lives.
I put Kayamba on the Ancient Mask with Speedy Recovery, Seven Lives, and Attack Boost.

Inventory:
Combo Book I
Potion x10
Mega Potion x10
Honey x10
Max Potion x2
Ancient Potion x1
Mega Dash Juice x5
Dash Juice x5
Antidote x10
Mega Demondrug x5
Mega Armorskin x5
Energy Drink x10
Powertalon
Farcaster
Bomb Casing x10
Exciteshroom x10
Whetstone
Demon Horn
Armor Horn
Shock Trap
Pitfall Trap
Flash Bomb x5
Pink Liver x2

Why Horns and Mega Drugs? First, they stack. Second, the Horns buff Cha-Cha and Kayamba. Basically, I played it smart, taking superpounds when Ivory Lagiacrus was anything but tired. When he got tired, I placed the Pitfall Trap and generally just went to town on him, not even bothering to play safe. He was actually very doable without the poor lightning resistance, I just had to play it slow and careful. I took him down at the 15 minute mark, and even got a KO in there on his stupid armored head.

For Brachydios and Azure Rathalos, I just followed everyone else's advice and let Brachydios do most of my work. I KOed Azure Rathalos once in the midst of the fight, and then KOed Brachydios twice. When one of them got tired, I Flash Bombed both of them and went to town on the tired once, because the non-tired one will just twirl in circles doing nothing, and the flash bomb tired one won't even twirl.

Here's the big part of my strategy that made everything go smoothly: if at any time Cha-Cha and Kayamba were down, and even one monster was enraged (including Ivory Lagiacrus), I Farcastered back to base. Then I slept, which resurrects both Shakalakas. This gets them both back faster. I used this time to sharpen my weapon, refresh Mega Dash Juice, etc. - it's better than sitting out there trying to dodge lightning fields while finding an opening. The best part is that every time you Farcaster back to base and get the Shakalakas back, you can use Demon Horn and Armor horn again to re-buff them! Then all three of you head back out as a team and kick some serious ass. The only time I carted was when I didn't follow this advice and tried to tough it out against enraged Brachydios and Azure Rathalos - not smart.

Also, if anyone is wondering Lifepowder does heal Ultimate Mask users during their enrage. I might actually try going for a "team" build with a Hunting Horn that focuses on buffing the Shakalakas, because they really wrecked face here. Use a combination of the Demon and Armor Horn, AUL HH buff, and HH heals to keep the Ultimate Mask's rage state going forever. I'm pretty sure it's damage is comparable to my own when it gets going, haha. Cha-Cha knocked Ivory Lagiacrus over twice, and once I was beating down on Azure Rathalos while wondering where Brachydios was, only to turn my camera and see Cha-Cha beating the hell out of him while he was tipped over.

TLDR: I am a hunter.

Congrats on completing Mark of a Hero. I decided to hold it off till I get G-rank stuff.

I've been farming Goldbeard Ceadeus so much...that I keep hearing the music even when I'm not playing...arghhhhhhhhh

Deus Obelisk (such a cool name):

DeusObelisk.png

Kyzon

Okay, is there any rhyme or reason to when the little masked assholes use their abilities? Because currently it seems to be "any time I don't need it".

Health near maximum? Health boost! Almost dead? No health boost!

Depends on what dances, masks, and abilities you have them wearing. I have my chacha wearing the mock melynx (sp?), and doing the dance that gives me a L health boost., and my Kayamba is wearing the ancient mask and doing whatever dance makes my attack go up the most. For hard fights though, I make sure to have both set with the L Heal so I have double the chance of being healed. I also play by ear. I can recognize most of their dance patterns by hearing it, so I know when a heal dance is coming so I can be a bit reckless and just unload on a monsta.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
If a weapon has a elemental attack, and I was faced with a monster resistant to that element, would the bonus from the element be negated with me falling back onto the base attack value of my weapon OR will my attacks be even weaker than that?

Is there a rusted swaxe?I receive the same weapons over and over.(Lance,gunlance,GS,DS,hammer,light bowgun).

www.kiranico.com

Weapon Crafting
Craft Weapon #
Create Worn Great Sword 1
Create Worn Sword 1
Create Worn Blade 1
Create Worn Hammer 1
Create Worn Horn 1
Create Worn Spear 1
Create Worn Gunlance 1
Create God’s Isle 1

If a weapon has a elemental attack, and I was faced with a monster resistant to that element, would the bonus from the element be negated with me falling back onto the base attack value of my weapon OR will my attacks be even weaker than that?

damage is like raw + elemental. if a monster had 100% elemental resist, it would not effect the raw.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
That looked awesome. Speaking of which, how's the gun-lance in this game? I've been maining the DB and LS so far (and going as far back as the previous portable games), but I've been thinking of adding one class with a shield. So is it good enough for solo play?

vareon

That looked awesome. Speaking of which, how's the gun-lance in this game? I've been maining the DB and LS so far (and going as far back as the previous portable games), but I've been thinking of adding one class with a shield. So is it good enough for solo play?

Pretty good so far. You have to adjust your playstyles on each enemy (when to block, evade, sheathe, wyvern fire, etc) though.

GL has a higher DPS than LS and DS, so it's more than viable for solo play. Need to pair with Artillery Expert (lowers Wyvernfire cooldown rate from 120 seconds to 90 seconds) and a Guard set to maximize the effectiveness of the weapon.

Also, if you start using the GL I don't recommend getting used to the shield + poke tactic. Have to be aggressive with combos and shelling. Practice this combo: Charge stab > Stab > Stab > Upswing > Charged Shell > Reload > Slam > WF

Rize_21

I've done every village quests until Mark of hero with the gunlance(got heavily bored of it at this point,after 400 uses),it's a little bit too powerful in my opinion,the wyvern's fire reloads every 2 minutes so it's better to release it as fast as possible.Against fast/pressure monsters like the Bracchydios and the Sand Barioth,I'd suggest to take some dash juices,because things can turn quickly ugly if your stamina is depleted(and these monsters are extremely good for this).
Speed sharpening is the skill I first gemmed and kept for a long time(still use it on the I.Barroth gunlance) ,because the use of wyvern's fire/ammo shoots damage a lot your sharpness.
That say,its game style is quite special(lots of combo variations only usable given certain contexts).

Airan

GL has a higher DPS than LS and DS, so it's more than viable for solo play. Need to pair with Artillery Expert (lowers Wyvernfire cooldown rate from 120 seconds to 90 seconds) and a Guard set to maximize the effectiveness of the weapon.

I'm sorry, what? How does it get more DPS? Super curious here. Is it the evades/guards that keep the attacks flowing?

I'm sorry, what? How does it get more DPS? Super curious here. Is it the evades/guards that keep the attacks flowing?

http://pastie.org/7127868

It has a bunch of combos with its melee and shells, plus damage variants depending on shot types:

Normal
Long - does 1.5x the damage Normal shells do
Wide - does 2x the damage Normal shells do

On charged shots, Normal and Long do 1.2x their normal damage. A Wide charged shot does 1.45x the normal damage.

Artillery Expert gives a 20% damage boosts to shell shots and WF.

I'm going to state the obvious here, but overall the GL stabs do more damage than the shots. You should always just use your shots to extend your combo. Some other stuff for Jinfash and anyone else wanting to get into Gunlancing:

Wyvern Fire - R+A+X, or A+X after Overhead Slam
Shotgun - A after Overhead Slam; Does damage based on how many shells are loaded
Quick Reload - Tap A again after a shell shot
Upswing - A+X
Overhead Slam - Either X, X, X or X after a Quick Reload; has Mind's Eye effect
Charged Shot - R+A after a lance attack; best with Spread Shells

Quick Shotgun Combos:
Forward+X, A, A, X, A (Charge attack into Quick Shotgun)
X+A, A, A, X, A (Upswing into Quick Shotgun)
A, A, X, A (Single Shell straight into Quick Shotgun)

Other combos:
X, X, X, B, repeat (basic repeated lance combo w/ dodge cancel at end)
X, X, A, repeat till out of shells, X, X, X(basic combo extended via Shells, best with Spread Shells)
X+A, X, X+A, X, A (Upswing combo into Shotgun)
X+A, X, X+A, A, A,X, A (Upswing combo w/ Shell into Shotgun)

Also, if you start using the GL I don't recommend getting used to the shield + poke tactic. Have to be aggressive with combos and shelling. Practice this combo: Charge stab > Stab > Stab > Upswing > Charged Shell > Reload > Slam > WF

I'd really like to see some good GL play on g-rank. I have no idea how you could get in more than a quick double stab with a shell before having to dodge or block. Especially against ADHD monsters like (B.)Diablos, Narga or Sand Barioth. I'm mainly using longswords and great swords, and of course I can go nuts when Diablos is exhausted or sonic-bombed, but in rage mode it's pretty much NOPE NOPE NOPE.

Vinci

Danish
So, took down the Giant Jaggi last night. First real monster fight. Quite fun. Switched from my sword & shield to a lance just before accepting the quest and had a good time with it. May have to swap out to other weapons regularly to see how much I enjoy the variety.

Haunted

I seem to get most of the rusted weapons, except Gunlances...which I mainly use '_'
I feel your pain.

It's a fantastic weapon, imo. Along with the Hunting Horn and Switch-Axe probably the most interesting and versatile melee weapon to use. Lots of combo possibilities.

Haunted

I'd really like to see some good GL play on g-rank. I have no idea how you could get in more than a quick double stab with a shell before having to dodge or block. Especially against ADHD monsters like (B.)Diablos, Narga or Sand Barioth. I'm mainly using longswords and great swords, and of course I can go nuts when Diablos is exhausted or sonic-bombed, but in rage mode it's pretty much NOPE NOPE NOPE.
The one you quoted is probably the single longest combo string (without a dodge move), so it's most suited to the scenarios where the monster is weak or trapped and you can really do your damage.

Smart gunlance play knows when to get in a couple stabs ending with a shot and backhop into reload and when there's time to combo into something larger. What's particularly awesome is when you manage to "track" the monster's movement with well-placed sidesteps once you're inside. Since you often find yourself between or close to a monster's legs, you need less movement than other classes to keep up with it when it's turning or running away.

Ultratech

I seem to get most of the rusted weapons, except Gunlances...which I mainly use '_'

I think I have almost all the Worn weapons except the lance at this point.

Hadn't done much with 'em since I don't know which one would be best to make.
(That, or I go farming for Earth Crystals and make 'em all!)

Very tempted to make God's Archipelago because of the fun stuff you can do with that LBG.

Also, I want this:

Mupod

was back home the last couple days so I was playing tomb raider, but I still got some MH in. Trying to collect all the rare trade stuff right now and it's quite amusing bullying these poor monsters with G rank equipment.

While it's not my main weapon Greatsword is definitely the way to go for moga woods hunting. Daytime is just silly, Great Jaggi is almost dead in one hit. Rathian walks up, eats a full charge while roaring, roars again when entering rage mode and eats another charge, and is pretty much ready for capture at that point.

Even night hunts, I get staggers so reliably that I can be insanely aggressive. If I miss a charge then I usually hit a leg anyways and they fall over.

I think the only rare trade items I still need are from I.Lagi and gobul. There might be a few unaccounted for though. At any rate I still need lots of stuff for furnishings, but all these new items are murdering my already-critical box space. I think I need to just finish off my furnishing collection for the award and then sell everything.

Also, the description of Pink Rathian Loin oh my god.

mmmmz4zpv.gif

Anyone have any pointers for chopping off duramboro's tail? That thing will not break.

You can't actually severe its tail, just the casing/shell around it. Usually a good time to crack it is when it does its air stomp attack and lies on the ground for a few seconds, or try to trip it by attack its feet during the ballerina twirl.

You can't actually severe its tail, just the casing/shell around it. Usually a good time to crack it is when it does its air stomp attack and lies on the ground for a few seconds, or try to trip it by attack its feet during the ballerina twirl.

Thanks. I knew there must be something. I dont think on lower levels you get anything for breaking that or is horns, do you?

DaBoss

How long is the I.Lagi quest going to last? Taking a MH breather atm (for the first time since release lol)

Only got one ticket so far

DLC quests last forever.

Thanks. I knew there must be something. I dont think on lower levels you get anything for breaking that or is horns, do you?

There is.

Duramboros Horn

And it seems like Kiranico got a nice update and has a quest list now and highlights the key quests. Though I don't really understand the ordering of most things being backwards lol.

http://kiranico.com/quest/

Inventory:
Combo Book I
Potion x10
Mega Potion x10
Honey x10
Max Potion x2
Ancient Potion x1
Mega Dash Juice x5
Dash Juice x5
Antidote x10
Mega Demondrug x5
Mega Armorskin x5
Energy Drink x10
Powertalon
Farcaster
Bomb Casing x10
Exciteshroom x10
Whetstone
Demon Horn
Armor Horn
Shock Trap
Pitfall Trap
Flash Bomb x5
Pink Liver x2
So much for only bringing Mega Potions :)

How long is the I.Lagi quest going to last? Taking a MH breather atm (for the first time since release lol)

Only got one ticket so far

I ran the quest last night with:

1x Kelbi Bow user
1x Slime Switchaxe user
1x Slime Lance user

And I had on the World's Demise GL (Dragon). Took us 19 minutes while using a ton of traps and bombs. The event Ivory has 3x HP and stagger zones.

Arveene

Neo Member
How does the data work? The gs has highest dps, is that with charge swings or just constantly combo swinging?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/683294-monster-hunter-3-ultimate/65794927

That link explains the assumptions. I really don't think it's possible to simplify weapon dps comparisons that much and come out with good data.

Edit: Here's his updated one. 5th post down for what skills, combos, monster hit zone, etc.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/683294-monster-hunter-3-ultimate/65851560

I'm also not trying to say there's no info to be obtained from it, but I believe that flat out saying weapon x is better than y based off of this chart alone is wrong.

So, took down the Giant Jaggi last night. First real monster fight. Quite fun. Switched from my sword & shield to a lance just before accepting the quest and had a good time with it. May have to swap out to other weapons regularly to see how much I enjoy the variety.
It's fun to switch it up. I use everything eventually. I'm not good with the "new" weapons, though. Except for the bow, which is one of the most brain dead weapons ever made. That thing needs to get more interesting, pronto.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";56960594]So much for only bringing Mega Potions :)[/QUOTE]
Play to win!

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";56971068]All clear through 7☆, only ten quests left until Alatreon!

INITIATE COUNTDOWN[/QUOTE]
Oh, so you haven't done Mark of a Hero?

Top Bottom