• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

The trick to beating the desire sensor is to grind only when you're about to go to bed. When you can barely react and go through quests in a haze, the sensor doesn't pick it up. That's how I got two sapphires from 8 ivories.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57259124]The trick to beating the desire sensor is to grind only when you're about to go to bed. When you can barely react and go through quests in a haze, the sensor doesn't pick it up. That's how I got two sapphires from 8 ivories.[/QUOTE]

My trick is to realize you need something when you already have it.

Holy fuck! I thought that the (Monster) Life videos were the same cutscenes I saw when I first fought the monster - turns out that they're fully CG videos!

Brachydios is fucking brutal fighting that Agnaktor!

also

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57251282]
"Oh, you need parts from Jhen Mohran? Too bad there's not enough time at the end of the quest to actually finish carving him."
[/QUOTE]

The worst is Dire Miralis which has 9 carves spread across 3 sections. I fought it twice and both times only managed to get 8 carves :(

beje

Banned
About the Uragaan Ruby, does it have a greater drop chance in High Rank or G Rank? MH Wiki is still not updated with this stuff...

DaBoss

Stygian is better due to it being Black + Red + White and it being a "dragon" monster.

Yeah, there are definitly aspects of the game that are like this for me. Like, some stuff I've made my peace with, like the animation stuff I found so initially frustrating. But the hitbox thing still makes me scream "bullshit!" at my 3DS

Hahahahahahahahahaha...

Play a 1st gen or 2nd gen Monster Hunter game.

The worst is Dire Miralis which has 9 carves spread across 3 sections. I fought it twice and both times only managed to get 8 carves :(

Have to agree with this. I got lucky, I only faced it once, and found all 3 carve spots and carved it 9 times.

Jhen is fairly easy to carve, if you do it multiplayer, you can have a friend kick you to make you get out of the finishing animation.

Ridley327

Stygian Zinogre is probably one of my all-time favorite designs, and it also helps that his armor and weapons also look great.

There should be more fanged wyverns, or at least enough to balance out all the pseudowyverns that are running around.

Killed a bunch of Nargas, both green and regular. No mantle, of course. Did a 3 Diablos quest and a couple of plain blos quests. I now have 78 cortexes, 48 chines and one (1) hardhorn.

I also tried double Black Diablos and got triple-carted by getting stunlocked and comboed from nearly full health, twice from a completely unpredictable and unavoidable (except by lucky diving) tremor wobble. I have no idea why that kind of bullshit must exist in the game.

Killed a bunch of Nargas, both green and regular. No mantle, of course. Did a 3 Diablos quest and a couple of plain blos quests. I now have 78 cortexes, 48 chines and one (1) hardhorn.

I also tried double Black Diablos and got triple-carted by getting stunlocked and comboed from nearly full health, twice from a completely unpredictable and unavoidable (except by lucky diving) tremor wobble. I have no idea why that kind of bullshit must exist in the game.

Best quest to get hardhorns is the Plain Dangerous quest (Sand Barioth + Black Diablos).

It's like over a 50% chance at the rewards screen, according to the MH3G dex.

Best quest to get hardhorns is the Plain Dangerous quest (Sand Barioth + Black Diablos).

Yeah, did one of those too. No horn. :/

I feel like farming for a Destroyer charm now; the Diablos fights take way longer than necessary because it's so goddamn hard to get enough headshots. I'm out of sonic bombs and don't want to farm Jaggis for screamers.

Ridley327

I feel like farming for a Destroyer charm now; the Diablos fights take way longer than necessary because it's so goddamn hard to get enough headshots. I'm out of sonic bombs and don't want to farm Jaggis for screamers.
Here's a useful tip: use a flash bomb whenever Diablos flies up from being subdued to get him (or her) to stay on the ground longer for more time on the horns.

Jarsonot

Blah! Just found out I can only hit G rank in tavern quests! I've been concentrating on village... Ah well, I should be able to fly through the early tavern quests with my current HR gear, I hope.

First monster hunter and it's got me by the balls. I still haven't fought every monster (am currently on 9* village) and I have over 86 hours in! Yeesh, definitely getting my money's worth. =)

Was working on my Helios X set and saw that I needed 2 Lagi Saphires! Pffffffttttttt! Knew I would have to do it sooner or later so I set out to find a group. Got one in the first quest and one in the second. I was going to say bad things about the desire sensor but I don't want to make it angry!

Solune

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57252552]There's no reason to not make the wait after jhen to be 2 minutes. There's no internal logic to not being able to carve him, and there's no gameplay benefit. It's just dumb. Period. Speed gathering is not a solution, it's Stockholm Syndrome.[/QUOTE]

Carving Dire Miralis is even worse. I've only gotten all 9 carves once. Also monsters SHOULD NOT be able to go outside of the "zoning" boundaries, shit is so fucking stupid.

Carving Dire Miralis is even worse. I've only gotten all 9 carves once. Also monsters SHOULD NOT be able to go outside of the "zoning" boundaries, shit is so fucking stupid.

It's been like that since the first MH, unfortunately. Fatalis getting its ugly head stuck in walls after it died happened often.

explodet

Qurupeco Life is doing its best to make Qurupeco seem adorable.
The Qurupeco is a species that needs to be exterminated. Wiped from the face of whatever planet this is.

There are monsters in this game, and truly we are them

That reminds me, I recently watched the opening cinematic again and was amused how it was the monsters that were clearly in charge.

also

Banned

It's two 5% chances.

Have to agree with this. I got lucky, I only faced it once, and found all 3 carve spots and carved it 9 times.

Jhen is fairly easy to carve, if you do it multiplayer, you can have a friend kick you to make you get out of the finishing animation.
You can skip the animation yourself. Just press start or the touch screen button in the top right (it depends on your control settings).

When it spots you and does it's weak roar you can get in plenty of hits. If you are a GS user you can easily land a Lv. 3 charge. You should also consider using the pitfall mask and bombs. First, place the bombs next to the wall in area 8 and then manipulate Diablos in such a way that he will be perpendicular to the bombs and wall. When he starts charging at you quickly place a small bomb and evade. If you did it right, Diablos will stop at the wall and the bombs will damage his head. If it charges at you at the wrong anlgle, it will slide along the wall and the bombs will miss.

DaBoss

You can skip the animation yourself. Just press start or the touch screen button in the top right (it depends on your control settings).

I'm talking about the carving animation. The animation still continues even though you got the carve.

Mileena

Banned
That needs to be rectified.

I've gotten on the past 3 days and tried to play but there was either no one on or a full lobby. I don't wanna play with randoms
8l1Z3Tn.png

also

Banned
I'm talking about the carving animation. The animation still continues even though you got the carve.
Oh, didn't even think about it. But if they kicked you, wouldn't then they run out of time to carve?

That needs to be rectified.
And another 7% if you break the horns, unless I'm reading the dex wrong.

Right, but that 7% (or 5% for regular Diablos) chance is not quest specific.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
You work at the oddest times.

I work in two different time zones. :(

I've now made a room for the cool people.

Well, no wonder I never manage to catch you online!

Well, I usually hop on whenever I have time. Unfortunately, that's not often the same time of the day on a consistent basis. I usually work from 10-6, and then I start working again from 8 pm - whenever stuff stops blowing up. Then I usually hop on MH around midnight and play well into the night.

I'd play more in the evenings, but apparently no one around me in real life has any respect for my free time, and they feel it completely polite to interrupt my personal time with trivial bullshit (such as interrupting me to show me how cute the dog is). YES, THANK YOU! I KNOW THE DOG IS CUTE! DO I LOOK LIKE I'M FREE TO INTERRUPT RIGHT NOW? THIS STEEL URAGAAN WON'T KILL ITSELF

(basically, the only time I get ACTUAL free time is like, midnight to 3 am)

Top Bottom