• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

You should also consider using the pitfall mask and bombs. First, place the bombs next to the wall in area 8 and then manipulate Diablos in such a way that he will be perpendicular to the bombs and wall. When he starts charging at you quickly place a small bomb and evade.

Good ideas, I'll have to give those a shot. For some reason I'm having a tough time adjusting to how he moves his head and end up missing a lot of GS swings. Oh well... today's a new day. For grinding.

G.Narga was all over me when I first tried him. I can now handle the regular attacks pretty well, but in rage mode he's so spastic that I just mostly run away to avoid getting wombo-comboed. I want both Narga sets, though, and he doesn't feel as annoying as Diablos.

insin

Neo Member
Desire Sensor confirmed for ineffective when you don't know what you're getting. On my first Dire Miralis kill, which was my urgent, I guessed there'd be multiple carves and started at his mid-section, swimming up, getting all 9. Between that and the reward box I got all the materials I needed from the beast to forge and upgrade its Lance.

Holy moly, dat purple sharpness.

Fistwell

I'd love an HR9 DLC extension, series of 20ish quests with event I lagi type monsters, and some new craftable, palette-swap equipment. Multiple monster quests where they have non-gimped health. Something that feels like a challenge. Throw in a couple of cheesy novelty items as rewards and we're golden.

Just get the intern to do it, it'll take him no more than a week and it's not like he's getting paid anyways.

Edit: include a Legendary Great Jaggi™ and I'll buy it at a high price.

Also, when are we getting this Felyne (Mario) Kart spinoff Alba kept mentioning!?!

They should drop a G Rank Alatreon quest that's as beefed up as the event I. Lagi. Imagine the carts... the endless carts.
Oh hell, I'll take that too. Isn't that supposed to actually happen though? I think I've heard rumblings of a G rank ala event... (unsure about the beefed up part)

ryz

Oh hell, I'll take that too. Isn't that supposed to actually happen though? I think I've heard rumblings of a G rank ala event... (unsure about the beefed up part)

There was a event quest in Tri called "Where Gods Fear to Tread", with a bigger Alatreon who also dealt more damage and had more health. So maybe?

Fistwell

There was a event quest in Tri called "Where Gods Fear to Tread", with a bigger Alatreon who also dealt more damage and had more health. So maybe?
Oh ok, I probably wasn't around anymore in tri when that happened. A lot of the events seem to be freely adapted from the ones in tri, so, yeah, hoping we get something like that.

I mean, stunlocking baby ura with rapid fire crag, para, sleep, and a giant pile of bombs twice his size is fun and all, but it doesn't exactly strike fear into my hunter's guts.

A return of the PvP arena with the same rules would be quite something too!
But now to choose a tamed monster hmm...
And in the end, team khezu wins, as it should! Was that in any western release? I don't recall ever seeing any of that.

Haunted

^^ Yeah, I also think I'm slowly coming to the end of my time with Tri Ultimate.

There are two more gunlances I haven't gotten yet (Worn Gunlance + Nether Gunlance), and there's the village Alatreon quest. I guess I could fill out the last couple 8* guild quests and do more Arena stuff, but I'm not feeling those in particular. I enjoy using my own crafted stuff instead of a predetermined loadout.

Maybe he fought the event one!
:lol

Rize_21

Oh ok, I probably wasn't around anymore in tri when that happened. A lot of the events seem to be freely adapted from the ones in tri, so, yeah, hoping we get something like that.

I mean, stunlocking baby ura with rapid fire crag, para, sleep, and a giant pile of bombs twice his size is fun and all, but it doesn't exactly strike fear into my hunter's guts.

And in the end, team khezu wins, as it should! Was that in any western release? I don't recall ever seeing any of that.

Fulful was awesome!and sadly no,it was for Japan only.
It wasn't in our versions of Freedom/unite,I heard it's available in Monster Hunter Frontier,but that's all.
By the way,I didn't know the Mark of Hero quest was the Challenge quest 3,I've looked at the sets for the online version,and wow,Capcom is cruel(2 players without Cha Cha/Kayamba this time).

Fistwell

By the way,I didn't know the Mark of Hero quest was the Challenge quest 3,I've looked at the sets for the online version,and wow,Capcom is cruel(2 players without Cha Cha/Kayamba this time).
Well I mean... depends entirely on the quality of armor sets, weapons and items made available, but yeah, sounds possibly pretty daunting.

(without mega dash juice to run circles around brachy and los am a gonna blow a gasket ;_; )

So this is good news right for HM4 and Localization? Not sure how dependable the site is, never been there myself:

Source

Is this just fan speculation? I didn't see a link to any 'actual statement'
Yeah I think that's been discussed, there was a, I dunno, shareholder meeting or some such, yearly fiscal year something-or-other? I mean, this here thing. I think that's what they're talking about. The bit about wildly pushing MH4? That reads like someone's wishful thinking but what do I know.

So this is good news right for MH4 and Localization? Not sure how dependable the site is, never been there myself:

Source

Capcom’s financial results for the past quarter have come in today, showing that Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate had tremendous global success. As such, Capcom will be heavily focusing promotional efforts on Monster Hunter 4. Capcom has also decided to shorten development times, reduce outsourcing, and focus on restructuring development methods.

Is this just fan speculation? I didn't see a link to any 'actual statement'. Probably just going off the other announcement that doesn't really change much.

Ridley327

There will be one at some point; the strategy guide already lists his gear as being DLC, and you currently aren't able to make his G-rank armor or upgrade his weapons, as you need G-rank drops to do it.

Speaking of, I hope everyone's been saving mantles and palliums from other monsters, because you'll need them to rock that set.

DaBoss

Rage! The only 2 hitbox things I'm annoyed about are Plesioth, and Narcacuga's stupid tail. The latter takes like a few ms after it hits to register.

I need new armor again *sigh*

I'm at the point when it starts to become necessary to have different armor sets with different strengths and weaknesses. My Lagi Z set is great...except against anything fire/dragon related.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I SO don't wanna go back to farming something after the catastrophe that was my fail at farming the I Lagi. Who hunts something non-stop for DAYS in G-Rank, only to find that the drop they need only comes from a high-rank hunt?

(Side note: It's not all bad news, though, I have over a million zenny and a shiteload more bits of G Lagis to sell off if need be.)

Mupod

Rage! The only 2 hitbox things I'm annoyed about are Plesioth, and Narcacuga's stupid tail. The latter takes like a few ms after it hits to register.

Narga's tail swipe is interesting because I consider that specific move a turning point in the series. Before that monster tail hitboxes generally reached all the way to the ground and couldn't be rolled under. But even back in MHFU you could roll right under his tail without evade skills. And after that game, they completely overhauled their stance on hitboxes so that everything more or less made sense.

Just remember two things - he usually precedes it by running right up to his target, and the hitbox is 'angular'. If you roll 'into' the tail swipe you'll frequently get to his hindquarters where the tail is too high up to hit you. Either way, like all his moves if you have evade+1 you can make him trivial. Although Lucent's tailspikes piss me off because my muscle memory has me dodging through his various tail moves only to get poisoned immediately afterwards.

I don't think there's a problem with Plesioth anymore. If anything he's too easy now, just operate under the assumption that his next attack will be the land swim. Or bring a pierce HBG and he won't even be able to fight back.

DaBoss

Narga's tail swipe is interesting because I consider that specific move a turning point in the series. Before that monster tail hitboxes generally reached all the way to the ground and couldn't be rolled under. But even back in MHFU you could roll right under his tail without evade skills. And after that game, they completely overhauled their stance on hitboxes so that everything more or less made sense.

Just remember two things - he usually precedes it by running right up to his target, and the hitbox is 'angular'. If you roll 'into' the tail swipe you'll frequently get to his hindquarters where the tail is too high up to hit you. Either way, like all his moves if you have evade+1 you can make him trivial. Although Lucent's tailspikes piss me off because my muscle memory has me dodging through his various tail moves only to get poisoned immediately afterwards.

I don't think there's a problem with Plesioth anymore. If anything he's too easy now, just operate under the assumption that his next attack will be the land swim. Or bring a pierce HBG and he won't even be able to fight back.

I'm talking about Nargacuga's tail slam to be specific. It doesn't have to touch you to register as a hit, it takes a few ms to register. Otherwise his tail is fine.

When I talk about Plesioth, I'm talking about the hipcheck (which has been mostly fixed) and the potential for the tail swipes to hit you twice is a lot higher than any other tail swipe.

Mupod

I need new armor again *sigh*

I'm at the point when it starts to become necessary to have different armor sets with different strengths and weaknesses. My Lagi Z set is great...except against anything fire/dragon related.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I SO don't wanna go back to farming something after the catastrophe that was my fail at farming the I Lagi. Who hunts something non-stop for DAYS in G-Rank, only to find that the drop they need only comes from a high-rank hunt?

(Side note: It's not all bad news, though, I have over a million zenny and a shiteload more bits of G Lagis to sell off if need be.)

If you eat certain food combinations you can counter elemental weaknesses. From my experience you'll always go positive no matter how bad your negative element is. You can just bring demondrug/armorskin to get the effects of attack/defense food.

I think it's vegetable/dairy for the main elemental buffs, and something/drinks for the dragon one.

What kind of weapons do you use? Different weapons need different skills after all. I am of course a huge fan of Narga armor as a general purpose set.

If you eat certain food combinations you can counter elemental weaknesses. From my experience you'll always go positive no matter how bad your negative element is. You can just bring demondrug/armorskin to get the effects of attack/defense food.

I think it's vegetable/dairy for the main elemental buffs, and something/drinks for the dragon one.

What kind of weapons do you use? Different weapons need different skills after all. I am of course a huge fan of Narga armor as a general purpose set.

That's the other thing, I've only JUST started to upgrade anything other than my Dual Blades. Maxed those out at the Neo Arcus Whitebolt level (or something) so now I'm trying to get a slime set and maybe a fire set as well. I do have a fully upgraded hammer, though. It's a pleco something. I'm so bad with names :(

Ok so gun lances might be my new favorite weapons. After farming Lucent Nargacuga with a horrible group I just decided to craft a new gun lance and have a go with it. Totally changed up the battle. Smashed that fucker in 10 minutes. I would usually die once in that battle but the group I was with would get carted off like 2 mins behind me. I told them to focus on defense instead of trying to go in there and smashing him and we actually killed him fast as hell. I kept stunning him with the gun lance and breaking parts off and they rushed in and beat him down.

If you eat certain food combinations you can counter elemental weaknesses. From my experience you'll always go positive no matter how bad your negative element is. .
I am posting to echo this sentiment. If you have -20 lightning resistance and eat for lightning resistance, you'll shoot up to like +3. If you have 15 lightning resistance and eat for lightning resistance, you'll only go up to 22 or so.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57336640]Yeah, it gives +3 for the small one and +5 for the big one, but negatives count as 0.

It's really good because I have -35 dragon lol[/QUOTE]
Ah, the mystery is unveiled!

Every once in a while I'll get weird stuff to happen with the chefs. Like I won't get an attack boost from attack up(L) sometimes. Element stuff is pretty much the only useful boost after a certain point, though. Generally I just go for the daily skills or felyne explorer.

edit: How long does the Gloves off effect last once it activates?

Also, what happens if you go over 100% affinity?

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57337218]Every once in a while I'll get weird stuff to happen with the chefs. Like I won't get an attack boost from attack up(L) sometimes. Element stuff is pretty much the only useful boost after a certain point, though. Generally I just go for the daily skills or felyne explorer.[/QUOTE]
I pretty much go for AUM (don't have L yet) every time I go on a hunt unless it's Alatreon. Then I need resistance, because the AoE fireball is bound to hit me once in the fight, and the AoE lightning hits me all the goddamn time. -_-

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57338718]I don't have Alatreon yet because I'm still recovering from the shock of failing a hunting quest last night on Mark of a Hero.[/QUOTE]
I'm glad you failed. ;-)

I'm glad you failed. ;-)

I went in arrogant because my bedsheets are made from ivory lagiacrus skins, then he hit me and I'm all like O_O

My second life I just dodged everything. I literally didn't get hit until he started limping that time, then I fucked up and got caught behind his leg against a wall and he comboed me to death.

I thought I was gonna kill him on the third life but he punished me for my hubris when he wasn't able to do the lightning attack anymore so I overextended and he's all like LOL JK MIGHTY SPARK

I'm fairly confident I can at least beat Ivory now without carting, but we'll see. From how much of a beating he's taking it looks like it'll take about 10-15 minutes just for him so I'm a little worried about the latter monsters since Brachy usually takes me about twice the time as Ivory. Definitely the most fun fight so far, I'm happy.

So, I was just about to say that this game needs more cool touches for the weapons. Like, weapons are generally re-skins with the numbers changed. I want the weapons to feel different, like the elements should look different coming from the blade, etc.

Then I used Usurper's Fulgur (Zinogre dual blades) and I realized that in Demon/Archdemon Mode it goes into its own supercharged mode where an extra blade pops out. All hail Zinogre, as usual.

DaBoss

So, I was just about to say that this game needs more cool touches for the weapons. Like, weapons are generally re-skins with the numbers changed. I want the weapons to feel different, like the elements should look different coming from the blade, etc.

Then I used Usurper's Fulgur (Zinogre dual blades) and I realized that in Demon/Archdemon Mode it goes into its own supercharged mode where an extra blade pops out. All hail Zinogre, as usual.

Lots of weapons have cool touches. My favourite has to be the Burst Revolver hammer. It has a roulette spinning when you charge it.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57342034]Yeah, the Nargacuga weapons do that too :3[/QUOTE]

Really? Nargacuga doesn't have a supercharged mode...

Mupod

Really? Nargacuga doesn't have a supercharged mode...

Tail spikes that come out in rage mode. If you want to get technical then the mechanic Lucent uses to get his spikes out is identical to Zinogre's chargeup.

My favorite weapon animation ever is the Ukanlos Crusher hammer from MHFU. It's like a spinning drill thing.

Jho's hammer and GS 'expand' when charged up too which is a neat subtle touch.

Also if you're a fan of unique weapons then make some hunting horns. They all have vastly different sounds for attacking and playing songs, from saxophones to guitars.

DaBoss

Any tips for a novice (heavy) bowgunner? Trying to Arena Lagiacrus with the HBG and it just mauls me. I noticed that being closer to it is actually more safe than being far away.

RuBisCO

Neo Member
Also if you're a fan of unique weapons then make some hunting horns. They all have vastly different sounds for attacking and playing songs, from saxophones to guitars.

Ooh, which one has the sax noise in MH3U? Would love to get my hands on that.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Later today, I'm going to have to do a few HR Rathian/Rathalos runs, and get a Sand Barioth tail for my new Long Sword.

Anyone up for that?

Tail spikes that come out in rage mode. If you want to get technical then the mechanic Lucent uses to get his spikes out is identical to Zinogre's chargeup.

My favorite weapon animation ever is the Ukanlos Crusher hammer from MHFU. It's like a spinning drill thing.

Jho's hammer and GS 'expand' when charged up too which is a neat subtle touch.

Well, cool, then! I just wish more weapons were like that and the elemental effects looked a bit different.

Fistwell

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57347014]I wish that elemental effects disappeared when monsters are resistant to them.[/QUOTE]
Yeah well I want HD monhun and it aint happening either.

Fistwell

So once I get the Ancient Mask, how do I trigger the quest?
Hunt more things, build base camp outside ceadeus' crib ("it's where the magic happens," giant sea slug lovefest/bachelor pad/sexodrome), something like that.

Edit: man, you actually got me to get off my ass and actually look it up. Here. Ctrl+F:

To unlock the following quests, the delivery quest, Ancient Mask will need to be completed, by delivering the following items

You should be at that point from what I understand. You have more key quests to tackle, and another request, then another key quest.

2 quick questions...

How do I "unlock" an ability on a weapon? I have a LS that supposedly can get an ice attribute. Does it require to land all 5 hits of the L combo, or am I missing something?

Also, it shows the sharpness on the weapon trees being +1, and sharper obviously. How do I go about doing that? Is that just a decoration I can use and will that show up in the specs of the weapon if I +1 it?

Thanks

taybul

2 quick questions...

How do I "unlock" an ability on a weapon? I have a LS that supposedly can get an ice attribute. Does it require to land all 5 hits of the L combo, or am I missing something?

Also, it shows the sharpness on the weapon trees being +1, and sharper obviously. How do I go about doing that? Is that just a decoration I can use and will that show up in the specs of the weapon if I +1 it?

Thanks

You "awaken" an element on weapons that don't already have one. This is done through the FreeElement skill. As for Sharpness+1, that's from the Handicraft skill, not to be confused with the Sharpness skill (I know, right?) that gives you razor sharp, which only decreases the rate you lose sharpness. As you could probably imagine, both are really good skills and not very easy to obtain. I'm pretty sure no low rank armor has either of these skills on them.

Rize_21

Anyone's hunting herbs,blue mushrooms,platinum crowns tonight?Got my first one on a Wroggi couple recently!they were THIS big!ah!

Edit: I've just opened a room for...whatever you'd like to kill,capture,sleep,poison,paralyze,and/or bomb!feel free to join!same place,same password.

Top Bottom