• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
What's your time zone, thetrin?

Should have nightly GAF hunts, or weekends. Fun times will be had!

I'm in MNT at the moment, but once I move for work, I'll be in Japan.

Don't worry about me, though. I've been playing plenty of High Rank multi with some good people. I do look forward to playing with gaffers, though.

Ultratech

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57252552]There's no reason to not make the wait after jhen to be 2 minutes. There's no internal logic to not being able to carve him, and there's no gameplay benefit. It's just dumb. Period. Speed gathering is not a solution, it's Stockholm Syndrome.[/QUOTE]

Jhen isn't too bad to carve. Get to the head, duck, and start carving. Then roll to the body, carve more, and you're done.

Miralis is worse since it's so damn huge, it's often hard to tell what is what, and it's got 9 carves compared to Jhen's 8.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57251282]Yeah, the woods in general is one of my many, many grievances with this game. It's such a massive waste of effort. This game just loves making people do a lot of dumb things for no reason.

"Oh you want long fragments for Artian leg armor? That's a 5% drop on a 4★ fishing trip that only pops up about 10% of the time, and takes 6 days to come back. And you need three of them."

"Oh, you want to make Pumpkin armor? Well you're gonna need bumblepumpkins for that, 20 of them. And you can only get them by trading 5-star commodities, which means you have to hope that at least a Pink Rathian shows up in the woods, spend 15 minutes killing each one for a fraction of the reward you'd get from just picking Pink Rathian quests and hope they actually drop a commodity. So including the mindless time acceleration you'll have to do to cycle through the waves of royal ludroths and great jaggi or the wasted quests where shitty monsters show up, we're looking at 8-9 hours of grinding for an armor set that really isn't that useful."[/QUOTE]

However, I will agree on those points.

Artian stuff is pretty much randomness, and the Pumpkin stuff is a bit silly in that you apparently can't plant it in your farm.

At least in P3rd, getting the Pumpkins wasn't THAT bad since they came from the Red/Green seeds at your Felyne Farm at random rates.

Just fought a crown Black Diablos bigger than my crown Duramboros. Three quests left until Mark of a Hero.

Also, I'm pretty sure at this point that Evasion +2 is the best skill in the game. I haven't used a single healing item since I got it.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Sooooooo, I've been hitting a lot of problems playing with my friends on 3DS. We get nonstop disconnects. We play four players, and two of us get disconnected every time we try to do anything.

Anyone else encountering this issue. It's driving us fucking crazy! We most definitely do not want to buy new 3DSes, but I am almost willing to go pick up an XL this weekend if it might help stop this shit.

Yeah, are we the only ones running into this?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Sooooooo, I've been hitting a lot of problems playing with my friends on 3DS. We get nonstop disconnects. We play four players, and two of us get disconnected every time we try to do anything.

Anyone else encountering this issue. It's driving us fucking crazy! We most definitely do not want to buy new 3DSes, but I am almost willing to go pick up an XL this weekend if it might help stop this shit.

Yeah, are we the only ones running into this?
How close are you to each other? I've only done local multiplayer twice on 3DS but the first time it was flawless and we were sitting on the same couch. The second time they were like 15 feet away and it disconnected when someone walked between us. If it's not the distance then it might be something wrong with your hardware.

Is there a set where it's possible to have these skills?

Evasion +2
Evade dist up
Sharpness +1
Rocksteady

my current skills:

Evasion +2
Sharpness +1
HG Earplugs

jercruz

Yeah, did one of those too. No horn. :/

I feel like farming for a Destroyer charm now; the Diablos fights take way longer than necessary because it's so goddamn hard to get enough headshots. I'm out of sonic bombs and don't want to farm Jaggis for screamers.

bring the rathalos mask, you get essentially unlimited sonic bombs. the shakala might not be able to do it at your every whim (there's a cooldown before they can do it again), but its awesome to see diablos get stunned after cha-cha does his roar lol

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57287700]Is there a set where it's possible to have these skills?

Evasion +2
Evade dist up
Sharpness +1
Rocksteady

my current skills:

Evasion +2
Sharpness +1
HG Earplugs[/QUOTE]

I'm not home to check the program, but have you tried Athena's ASS yet? It's a great program where you just plug in the desired skills you want and it'll find an armor set + gems + charm for you.

jercruz

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57287700]Is there a set where it's possible to have these skills?

Evasion +2
Evade dist up
Sharpness +1
Rocksteady
[/quote]

I tried running this on Athena's tool, nothing came up.

However if you drop evade distance up, its possible to get this.

my current skills:

Evasion +2
Sharpness +1
HG Earplugs

I have this as well, usual helios/selense Z, X for waist, +6 evasion talisman and gem in evasion.

I so want to make both the Zinogre set and the Nargacuga set. I'm in love.

This wouldn't be so hard if I didn't have the fucking Jhen armor, which I don't think will be topped until the last quest of the story, if even then.

Earplugs seem like a waste when you have evade+2

I'm using

sharpness+1
razor sharp
evade+2
It depends on the weapon. With SnS or LS, you can dodge through the roar and not miss a beat. With GS or Hammer, you can use HGE to charge up a big-hitting attack. Evasion does not allow you to do this.

Beats

I tried running this on Athena's tool, nothing came up.

However if you drop evade distance up, its possible to get this.

I got 94 possible solutions with Athena's tool with a 3 slot weapon. There's only 1 with a 1 slot weapon and 10 with a 2 slot weapon. You need a damn good Handicraft charm for most of them lol.

Beats

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57290902]I didn't see rocksteady on the tool? I have a good two-slot weapon.[/QUOTE]

It should be at the bottom of the skill list.

Mupod

Evasion +2
Evade dist up
Sharpness +1
Rocksteady

my current skills:

Evasion +2
Sharpness +1
HG Earplugs[/QUOTE]

definitely* not, but you can drop down to evasion+1 and get evade extender with a 2 slot weapon and a decent evade dist charm.

*edit: (might be possible, I can't figure out how to get the charm part of the search tool right, but you'd probably need something ridiculous)

there is very little difference between evade+1 and +2 - it's nice to have especially for dodging roars, but it's like a 2 frame increase.

I think earplugs are kind of a waste unless you're GS or hammer personally. But those weapons can really capitalize on the roar openings so it's great for them. I was in the habit of always using it because I was used to HGE being a necessity, after being sat on by Khezu a million times. But monsters patiently wait for you to recover before attacking in 3rd gen, how nice of them.

you use what, DS? I'd go for sharp sword or focus or something. Gloves Off is apparently really badass for them too.

Yay, was finally able to upgrade t the Anvil Hammer. Boy, those 70 Iron Ore were hard to get. Let's see what's the next step...

15 Meldspar Ore, okay.
20 Fucium Ore, no problem.
99 Iron Ore

...tch

Yay, was finally able to upgrade t the Anvil Hammer. Boy, those 70 Iron Ore were hard to get. Let's see what's the next step...

15 Meldspar Ore, okay.
20 Fucium Ore, no problem.
99 Iron Ore

...tch

You need that Iron Ore cheese? Go run laps around area 4 of the Deserted Isle map. The nodes will always respawn.

Just did Triple Threat and San Barioth died faster than the Volvidon. LOL

Also, just got my first long fragment after a dozen trips to Pirate Town!

-_-

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
So has anyone managed to solo the event i.lagi?

I wouldn't mind having his gunlance but apparently it has quite a bit of health

Ultratech

Working on finishing up my remaining Village quests.

Turns out I don't have a whole lot (maybe like 9-12 quests left?).

Got HR 1-4 done, and almost done with HR5.

Gotta do Mark of a Hero eventually...

Fewr

Question:

I spent crafting loads of armors when going through low rank, my purpose was to learn to play the game, and learn each monster. For high rank I've been using the Volvidon armor only because I like the Attack Up (L) a lot. I've been carting often now in 8star quests. Especially when I try the Agnaktor+Volvidon+PRathian quest.

I have never ever ever ever upgraded an armor. Should I upgrade my Volvidon armor and keep going, or craft new armors until G-Rank (like I did during low rank)? How useful is it to upgrade them?

This is my first MonHun and I use long sword exclusively (in case this info helps).

Armor sets are all about the skills. If you have a skill you like, upgrade your armor set to the max and don't even bother making more armor until you rank up.

Also, just beat Lurkers in the Woods pretty smoothly, Mark of a Hero unlocked!

DaBoss

Wow, look at these weapon trees: http://club1kjho.forumotion.com/t467-everly-s-weapon-trees

It is like a nice infographic. And you can CTRL+F

Question:

I spent crafting loads of armors when going through low rank, my purpose was to learn to play the game, and learn each monster. For high rank I've been using the Volvidon armor only because I like the Attack Up (L) a lot. I've been carting often now in 8star quests. Especially when I try the Agnaktor+Volvidon+PRathian quest.

I have never ever ever ever upgraded an armor. Should I upgrade my Volvidon armor and keep going, or craft new armors until G-Rank (like I did during low rank)? How useful is it to upgrade them?

This is my first MonHun and I use long sword exclusively (in case this info helps).

Definitely upgrade. It will boost your defense and most likely decrease the amount of times you cart. Since you like the skills, go for it.

ryz

Finally killed Alatreon. After about 255 hours playtime, he was the last monster needed for my personal meta goal, to kill/capture every single monster in the game at least once.

I might complete my nether armor later on, but apart from this i don't see why i should continue playing. Maybe i'm just burned out from MH, don't know.

This sucks. I kind of want to keep on playing, but without new monsters to hunt/kill, it feels as if the magic is gone. :(

Fewr

Just in time to take a break, then start Animal Xing.

----

Thanks for the help, I'll upgrade my super cool volvidon armor.

Ken

Finally killed Alatreon. After about 255 hours playtime, he was the last monster needed for my personal meta goal, to kill/capture every single monster in the game at least once.

I might complete my nether armor later on, but apart from this i don't see why i should continue playing. Maybe i'm just burned out from MH, don't know.

This sucks. I kind of want to keep on playing, but without new monsters to hunt/kill, it feels as if the magic is gone. :(

I burned out at 250 hours too. I was planning to come back when they roll out the online Alatreon stuff though.

Mupod

Picking up gunning has kept it fresh for me. HBG was going to be a side project or a 'toy' like my GS set that I only use for fun, but it's pretty much become my main weapon now.

Still don't play nearly as much as I was, but that's normal. The great thing about MH is you can play for 20 minutes and still feel like you made some progress.

Make sure to eat Fish + Drink to get that Felyne Woodsman and Gathering skill too. They stack with armor skills.

I got hundreds of Earth Crystals and Iron Ore this way.
Well, that worked lol

Put on the Skyrim soundtrack, and started running around caves. 3 trips, and I'm overflowing in Iron Ore (and improved my Earth Crystal stock considerably). Much thanks :)

Mileena

Banned
Picking up gunning has kept it fresh for me. HBG was going to be a side project or a 'toy' like my GS set that I only use for fun, but it's pretty much become my main weapon now.

Still don't play nearly as much as I was, but that's normal. The great thing about MH is you can play for 20 minutes and still feel like you made some progress.

I was hoping it would have the same lasting power as Dark Souls for me but I don't think it's gonna happen. Still, can't say a lot of games give me 300+ hours. I'm ready for MH4
U in about two years

My Guild Card:

NQJQYrR.jpg

*cof cof*

My ugly ass set...

R1NUOaI.jpg

But don't laugh!

AxTCVYI.jpg

(I could get Recoil 2 if I had a godly Recoil charm)

Capcom made some shitty changes though, gunners can only carry THREE dragon shots? A mess! It's kinda funny because my weapon can load 4 clust shots but I can only carry three...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So I'm trying to put a HR set together but I need some drops off those bugs that just go splat. Any tips? I can't find anything left to carve.

Top Bottom