• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Holy FUCK I am never ever fighting a Barioth with a Greatsword again. He literally does not stay in one place long enough for any of your animations to complete. I have no fucking idea how I'm supposed to cut off his tail then, since all of the cutting weapons I can craft right now with fire damage take about three and a half years to attack.

Bring shock traps and flash bombs if you want to cut of its tail with a GS. A few level 3 charges should do the trick, plus upswinging like a mad man.

RobbieNick

OH MY GOD I JUST HAD THE MOST FUN TIME!

It was doing some HR3+ questing online. I'm currently HR3 but the others in the group were HR5. Were faced 4, count 'em FOUR monsters in one quest. Three of which I never fought before. somehow, my armor held up and we killed all 4 without me fainting once. It was such a blast! Most fun I've had in the game so far.

derwalde

after 150hrs of GS only i switched to the lance.... OH MY GOD ITS BEAUTIFUL. NEVER LOOK BACK. 1-2 potions per quest (troll skill set: guard boost, guard+2, evade distance, evade+2).

<3

Boogybro

OH MY GOD I JUST HAD THE MOST FUN TIME!

It was doing some HR3+ questing online. I'm currently HR3 but the others in the group were HR5. Were faced 4, count 'em FOUR monsters in one quest. Three of which I never fought before. somehow, my armor held up and we killed all 4 without me fainting once. It was such a blast! Most fun I've had in the game so far.

You've caught the bug.

Nohar

I keep switching weapons... I've been a Light Bowgun players for 100 hours, now I'm playing Switchaxe and Lance, and I want to try GunLance... I DON'T HAVE THE MONEY.
Also, I really need to sort and sell some of my charms...

After about 15 Plain Dangerous quests and B.Diabloses later, I finally have my unfashionable but quite practical Diablos X set. My blood pressure is slowly coming down. For now.

MH's little pleasures: Seeing Volvidon get KTFO'd by a tailswipe in the face.

Yes.... Fuck yes! After 30+ ivory lagiacrus, I finally got the last Lagia sapphire I needed to complete the Selene armor set. G rank.... Here I come!

It took me 105 hours to almost compete VQ9 (didn't unlock Mark) and get to the beginning of G rank in Guild Quest .. All solo. I had a blast getting here!

Haunted

I don't think I quite grasped at how much larger the dragon breath attack gets when he's enraged until I saw you guys fight him in area 7, in which it quite literally fills the entire room. Woe unto anyone that gets hit by it with any weakness to Dragon.
At 1:40 in the video the dragon breath attack hits me while I'm standing behind the pitfall trap (you can barely see it at the edge of the screen). Ridiculous range.

Is it still blockable?
It is, though I had Guard Boost. Not sure if that's a requirement.

Ultratech

Finally have enough mats to make Miralis Armor.

Kinda reminds me of Starscream. (The Blademaster version anyway.)

Debating on whether I might make it or not.

Still have enough mats left after testing to make one of the weapons, I'd just have to hunt down another gem.

Do you ever become powerful enough to be able to one hit the very first great jaggi you hunt in moga village?

Hmm...might be possible.

Probably what would happen is that you kill it in a matter of seconds.

ryz

Completed my nether armor, got all the shakalaka masks, S to A rank finished all arena quests... Currently working on the last HR port quests.

Tried the HH and the Hammer in those quests, really like both weapons.

I just can't quit MH. :/

The Pink Ratheon is giving me hours of troubles. I keep taking too much damage when I go in for melee and I am far to weak to attack it ranged. It's one of two intro high rank quests that I have left. It's really killing it for me.

Malvingt2

can someone please explain to me how Challenger skill works?

I have the skill on my new armor.. :)

I don't know how that works and if I should go to Challenger +2

taybul

The Pink Ratheon is giving me hours of troubles. I keep taking too much damage when I go in for melee and I am far to weak to attack it ranged. It's one of two intro high rank quests that I have left. It's really killing it for me.
What weapon are you using? I actually find fighting Rathian/Rathalos a lot easier using the hammer and going for their head. I get tripped up way too much when I try to go for their feet or tail.

Fewr

Yes.... Fuck yes! After 30+ ivory lagiacrus, I finally got the last Lagia sapphire I needed to complete the Selene armor set. G rank.... Here I come!

It took me 105 hours to almost compete VQ9 (didn't unlock Mark) and get to the beginning of G rank in Guild Quest .. All solo. I had a blast getting here!
I understand the appeal of multiplayer in this game, and liked it a lot (I normally HATE online multiplayer), but there is something extra cool about going through the game solo and slaying huge monsters by myself.

Do you have access to the high rank wroggi armor? It's easy to get, and helps against Rathian. I think I used that set and B.Gigginox set until I made a volvidon set which is what I'm currently using for everything (yesterday I started 9star quests).
Also, what weapon are you using?

DaBoss

can someone please explain to me how Challenger skill works?

I have the skill on my new armor.. :)

I don't know how that works and if I should go to Challenger +2

When a monster goes into rage mode, you get buffs. I don't remember what it buffs, but I think it has something to do with Affinity and Stamina depletion.

Mupod

Hm, maybe buffed with the best raw GS with CritDraw and a level 3 charge.

my Jho sword can't quite do in the Moga Woods version in one hit, but it almost does. I think I could do it with the Diablos sword with a powerpill or AUL or something. Or if you weren't using crit draw and got an affinity crit from the big slam you do after a kick. Heh, now I have a new goal. Make a set to one shot wimpy monsters. Time to get some more Hardhorns.

In other news I made the Lucent Narga switchaxe. I have the moveset pretty much figured out, still don't see the point of the weapon but I'll play with it some more. I don't know what's good for SA so I just put on Narga stuff and a random talisman to get evade+2/evade distance/sneak/sharpener/latent power+1.

I did get to obliterate a moga woods Rathian when I had Latent Power active and I got an affinity crit on the first hit of the stamina slash, allowing me to stagger her to death (it makes all the following hits crit too, and latent power reduces stamina usage). That is so not viable in g-rank but it's fun.

When a monster goes into rage mode, you get buffs. I don't remember what it buffs, but I think it has something to do with Affinity and Stamina depletion.

you get 25 attack and 20% affinity for challenger+2. Not amazing, but still better point for point than AUL or critical eye themselves. It just isn't worth it over those abilities unless the monster's in rage mode all the time like black diablos or agnaktor or something.

It's gloves off/latent power that gets the stamina reduction ability.

Malvingt2

my Jho sword can't quite do in the Moga Woods version in one hit, but it almost does. I think I could do it with the Diablos sword with a powerpill or AUL or something. Or if you weren't using crit draw and got an affinity crit from the big slam you do after a kick. Heh, now I have a new goal. Make a set to one shot wimpy monsters. Time to get some more Hardhorns.

In other news I made the Lucent Narga switchaxe. I have the moveset pretty much figured out, still don't see the point of the weapon but I'll play with it some more. I don't know what's good for SA so I just put on Narga stuff and a random talisman to get evade+2/evade distance/sneak/sharpener/latent power+1.

I did get to obliterate a moga woods Rathian when I had Latent Power active and I got an affinity crit on the first hit of the stamina slash, allowing me to stagger her to death (it makes all the following hits crit too, and latent power reduces stamina usage). That is so not viable in g-rank but it's fun.

you get 25 attack and 20% affinity for challenger+2. Not amazing, but still better point for point than AUL or critical eye themselves. It just isn't worth it over those abilities unless the monster's in rage mode all the time like black diablos or agnaktor or something.

It's gloves off/latent power that gets the stamina reduction ability.

that sounds much better for me.. Now I just need to Gem in Fate and I am set.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I started the bad habit of quitting when I don't get a Felyne skill I'm looking for or if the skill doesn't activate.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I have one Sand Barioth tail, but I still need one more, and I still need to farm for Rathalos carapaces.

Hope people will be around to help me out with that! :D

DaBoss

I started the bad habit of quitting when I don't get a Felyne skill I'm looking for or if the skill doesn't activate.

Yup, don't do that, unless you actually need it.

http://youtu.be/NGE3TnqkyIk?t=2m43s

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Time to get some Slime weapons for those HR8 quests.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm actually really interested in building some Dual blades, specifically some HR Slime blades (Dios Slicers). How much of a pain is getting firecell stones? 5% drop rates sound really shitty.

Might just do some Brachydios farming to build them.

Don't tell my friends back home, but I cheated on them with a G-Rank Qurupeco. Dude bodied the t-rex, though. Called him up and said "nap time, son".

I did get my first large wyvern stone, which means I officially have two good G-rank weapons! Blade of Tartarus, I choose you! 1344 damage and purple sharpness? :-o Once I get this motherfucking son of a bitch artian leg piece I'll have awaken too to unlock all it's secrets.

Testing it on a free hunt black diablos and I knocked him on his ass in 5 hits O_O

I'm actually really interested in building some Dual blades, specifically some HR Slime blades. How much of a pain is getting firecell stones? 5% drop rates sound really shitty.

5%? I'm sure I got one each time I fought Brachy. Hell, Kayamba with Mock Melynx picked some up for me. Not too bad in my experience.

iA60oGEV8zfbj.gif

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I'm actually really interested in building some Dual blades, specifically some HR Slime blades (Dios Slicers). How much of a pain is getting firecell stones? 5% drop rates sound really shitty.

Might just do some Brachydios farming to build them.
They're really common in volcano mining runs, I have more than I know what to do with. The gems/palliums are what you should be worried about.

Mileena

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57421080]Maan, Helios really is the standard, isn't it?[/QUOTE]

DLC Jhen if you're a boss. Helios is fucking hideous.

What weapon are you using? I actually find fighting Rathian/Rathalos a lot easier using the hammer and going for their head. I get tripped up way too much when I try to go for their feet or tail.
I was using a long sword and attacking feet and tail. When that don't work I switched to switch axe. I have a good hammer set. I'll try that next.

Ridley327

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57422128]That's why I made it lol[/QUOTE]
Even though it would have been nice to have G-rank armor right away, I held off because I had upgraded the crap out of my Rath Soul set. Also helping was a run of good luck on Pink Rathian, so that became my first G-rank set.

thetrin

They're really common in volcano mining runs, I have more than I know what to do with. The gems/palliums are what you should be worried about.
Good to know. Thanks. I'll just get them via a harvest run, then.

Can Team Leader resurrect dead Shakalakas, or only healing ones? It seems like a pretty useless skill if it's only the latter, but that's what folks are saying. I'm wondering whether Team Leader can circumvent Last Stand's drawback.

Mileena

Banned
Even though it would have been nice to have G-rank armor right away, I held off because I had upgraded the crap out of my Rath Soul set. Also helping was a run of good luck on Pink Rathian, so that became my first G-rank set.

When the fuck are we playing again? Did you abandon me "friend"

thetrin

I'm using Wroggi S right now, and I'm looking to build maybe Zinogre as I get deeper into HR. How far will upgraded Zinogre get me in G Rank? I'd hate to build the whole set, just to find that it's useless the minute I step into G Rank.

5%? I'm sure I got one each time I fought Brachy. Hell, Kayamba with Mock Melynx picked some up for me. Not too bad in my experience.

Maybe the drop rates on Kiranico are inaccurate. I haven't tried mining them yet. Was just looking up drop rates online.

Now I'm not gonna make any Helios armor (wasn't gonna, but still).

Not that I'm far enough in Tanzia anyways. Presently making a Zinogre set in the Village.

Even though I have a Jhen set. Zinogre is that boss, though.

I also had a fully upgraded Rath Soul but I dropped it instantly for Sharpness +1 lol

I WANT ARTIAN GREAVES AGHAGHAHAGH

Top Bottom