• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 |OT| Slay 'em, Skin 'em, Wear 'em

Anura

Still getting my bearings, dont even know how to get online yet. Wouldnt mind playing together this coming weekend though!
Awesome going to be nice playing with you again! Don't forget to PM Oichi to get your FC in to OT

Since I have no idea how to make a room yet might as well let you do it. Sorry for the late reply was starting laundry, before the morning sun fully comes up. Am back infront of the PC now with 3ds ready lol

Alright going to make it now the pass will be 5200

Edit: I made the room also don't use cats they seem to lag frame rate

Ridley327

Since I have no idea how to make a room yet might as well let you do it. Sorry for the late reply was starting laundry, before the morning sun fully comes up. Am back infront of the PC now with 3ds ready lol

In regards to 3DS data is it possible to make backup cards? As in transferring user data to PC then to another SD card? Always wondered about that but never tried it myself.

Yeah, it's just simple drag-and-drop for 3DS data. As long as it's the 3DS the software is registered to, there aren't any issues.

CTLance

Not trying to stir the pot, but in the streams I watched I saw it mentioned several times that there are freezing glitches. Have you guys encountered any so far?
example said:
soujiseta: this game also has some freezing issues
soujiseta: zoning can freeze
soujiseta: loading screens freeze, home button freeze
soujiseta: it's rare but it happens
He also mentioned that the online part is borked during "peak hours", but that is pretty much what I expected, to be honest.
soujiseta: oh btw this game has a major problem
soujiseta: online sucks balls during peak hours
soujiseta: you'll get lots of errors and "room can't be found" messages
soujiseta: eventhough there's obviously a room there, i tried to join some friends' room during peak hours and it was impossible
soujiseta: i never had that problem in MH3 and 3G, even during peak hours i could enter rooms just fine

What's the collective gaf experience in regard to freezing? would tick me right off if the game froze on me, personally.

I saw a cat expedition get slaughtered by a small-time monster in a minigame. That stuff is pretty hilarious. I wanna play this so bad.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Awesome going to be nice playing with you again! Don't forget to PM Oichi to get your FC in to OT

Alright going to make it now the pass will be 5200

Edit: I made the room also don't use cats they seem to lag frame rate

ok will see bout turning the cat off only have a single one

Think I gotta add your FC to my 3ds hang on doing that now. Ok sent!
My FC is

1779-0571-9762

Yeah, it's just simple drag-and-drop for 3DS data. As long as it's the 3DS the software is registered to, there aren't any issues.

Thanks for the answer!

Pitmonkey

Ok, so hypothetically speaking, what would the effect of a Wii U exclusive Monster Hunter with an engine built for the actual console be?

Parakeetman

Hmm yeah just as I though the charge axe isnt the best for party play. As Im constantly concerned with hitting my allies. Hit LoVendoR by accident earlier. D:

Switching to my not so strong lance.

bugs-bugs-everywhere-thumb.jpg

is this party lol

Shurayuki

Hmm yeah just as I though the charge axe isnt the best for party play. As Im constantly concerned with hitting my allies. Hit LoVendoR by accident earlier. D:
Switching to my not so strong lance.

Ah don't worry about that, really these quests should be fast and without problems for quite a while.

Woops closed 3ds like I always do while typing on gaf sorry.

Yeah chat sucks right?!

Shurayuki

Okay for some reason I keep fucking up the climb attacks today...1/3 narv, going to work on that sorry.

The chat limit is ridiculous, that's why I couldn't stop complaining about it these last days hehe.

DaBoss

He also mentioned that the online part is borked during "peak hours", but that is pretty much what I expected, to be honest.

What's the collective gaf experience in regard to freezing? would tick me right off if the game froze on me, personally.

I saw a cat expedition get slaughtered by a small-time monster in a minigame. That stuff is pretty hilarious. I wanna play this so bad.

That doesn't sound surprising at all. 3G and 3 never had nearly 2 million people playing.

Parakeetman

One thing that has been irritating me with this game is how the harvest points vanish at random even before you touch them at times.

Also how the paintball system thing seems to have gone backwards from the improvement we saw in 3G. wts

Shurayuki

One thing that has been irritating me with this game is how the harvest points vanish at random even before you touch them at times.

Yeah it's so weird, was always about to ask if that happened to others to, but always forgot.

Also I have chatzilla for all your irc needs, but no idea how to use it, so if we're going to use it...*cough*

Zenaku

Grats, the fight was awesome, wasn't it, don't forget to buy the charms!

I'm missing my bow a bit, used it for many of the bigger monsters in 3G. Maybe I should get one (I see the Kelbi bow in my list, maybe I should make it just for Tenbatsu <3 ;P).

God I'm too optimistic, at least now I know how to do fishing quests. Thought the ones I need might spawn If I kept fishing, but nope, 40 minutes for naught. Then 5 min of re-entering map and the quest is done -_-#

Yes, the fight was awesome. Much more fun and action packed than the last bosses in 3G. Might not try it again until I get better armour though, but I'll need to to upgrade my weapon.

I used a bow a lot in 3G too, and tried it in 4, but it took so long at the start. I think I took around 25 minutes against Dosjaggi with the bow (though I spent some time gathering) while the insect staff and charge axe took me around 10-15 minutes, so I switched the CA.

Anyway, are there any rooms open, or rooms that'll be opening up soon?

EDIT: I've had points disappear as well. I figured they just alternate locations every so many minutes, so it's never bothered me.

Parakeetman

Yes, the fight was awesome. Much more fun and action packed than the last bosses in 3G. Might not try it again until I get better armour though, but I'll need to to upgrade my weapon.

I used a bow a lot in 3G too, and tried it in 4, but it took so long at the start. I think I took around 25 minutes against Dosjaggi with the bow (though I spent some time gathering) while the insect staff and charge axe took me around 10-15 minutes, so I switched the CA.

Anyway, are there any rooms open, or rooms that'll be opening up soon?

EDIT: I've had points disappear as well. I figured they just alternate locations every so many minutes, so it's never bothered me.

Its irritating when previous systems never did that. It shouldnt either, since at times can happen mid dig. Reappearing after you leave a zone fine, but not while active in one. Thats just bad design.

Zenaku

Yeah bow sucks against small targets like Jaggi.

Aw we're full for the time being, getting Parakeet and Anura up to snuff.

Yes, I considered trying the bow again against a monster without having to worry about smaller monsters, but I enjoyed the charge axe too much.

There's no need to drop out on my account. I don't mind whether I play online or do some expeditions/quests; I was just wondering if anyone needed an extra person. I don't mind joining if you do though.

CommonWriter

UncommonlyGoodListener
Not trying to stir the pot, but in the streams I watched I saw it mentioned several times that there are freezing glitches. Have you guys encountered any so far?

I haven't had a full on FREEZE of the game, but I have had the game take about 30~ seconds to go from in game to the home screen.

Parakeetman

I haven't had a full on FREEZE of the game, but I have had the game take about 30~ seconds to go from in game to the home screen.

Yep that does seem to happen. Kinda odd considering how 3G didnt do it. But at least our data is saved at that point, so its more like for example shutting down a game on the PC and having to wait for all the processes to wind down before the PC returns to normal speeds.

CommonWriter

UncommonlyGoodListener
Yep that does seem to happen. Kinda odd considering how 3G didnt do it. But at least our data is saved at that point, so its more like for example shutting down a game on the PC and having to wait for all the processes to wind down before the PC returns to normal speeds.

I'm guessing it's taking more time, because it has that many more processes to suspend.

Parakeetman

I'm guessing it's taking more time, because it has that many more processes to suspend.

Going to the home screen for me seems ok from game -> HS -> game, its when I actually stop playing the game and its going back to the home screen is when it takes a while as you mentioned. Unless thats what you meant?

CommonWriter

UncommonlyGoodListener
Going to the home screen for me seems ok from game -> HS -> game, its when I actually stop playing the game and its going back to the home screen is when it takes a while as you mentioned. Unless thats what you meant?

I mean, you're in the middle of a hunt, and you want to pause and go back to the home screen for something. Right there, it hangs up for 30~ seconds.

Parakeetman

I mean, you're in the middle of a hunt, and you want to pause and go back to the home screen for something. Right there, it hangs up for 30~ seconds.

Hmm thats odd. Just tried that out and seems to be ok on mine? Does it happen to you too after you quit the game?

Shurayuki

Posted this yesterday to Instagram, but here's part of the intro to last boss
Shagara Magala

http://instagram.com/p/eWPW7Plvdz/

Very nice, it's so cool.

Reminds me a bit of a certain Zelda final fight, an epic duel. Exactly what I want MH to be. Just you against this ridiculous giant thing with nobody there to help you.

and then there's multiplayer.
---

Alright MH Gaf, that was fun day...I mean night. Need to play a bit more with Parakeet, we're gonna boost you up there! And feels like ages since playing with Oichi, be less busy. Some sweet high rank action is waiting for you! (being hit in the dace HARD, that is)

Gue'ss we'll just have to die another day then, goodnight.

If you have a japanese 3DS, just setup an WiFi access point with an SSID called 7SPOT without any security. Connect to it via the 3DS internet settings whenever you want to download the latest items. That's how I'm doing it, because it takes too much time in a 7/11 lol.

Does that really work? I tried it a few times for ACNL but I never got it to work. I want the 7/11 Felyne :/

yami4ct

So jealous of all you guys playing it right now. Got hooked on 3U when I randomly picked it up for my Wii U. Cannot wait for when (if) this comes to the west. I'd sort of prefer a Wii U version, but now that the 3DS has online it should do just fine. Need to hunt those monsters!

Anura

can you do all the content offline or are there stuff you can only get online? i forget.

Some guild hall (online mode) only stuff but like MH3U its all playable offline and can be done alone

---
Also a question for the other MH 4 players out the. How would you rank this game compared to other MH games? I think it has one of the best combat gimmicks/features that really does add so much to the game, however I don't want to jump to "best MH ever" until after I have played all of it. So far however, its up there.

Fistwell

How is the tutorial in this game compared to the one in Tri/3G? That long unskippable tutorial really made making new characters a pain in the ass.
The beginning is long and boring. Probably a cple of hours to the first monster fight. Felt a little shorter than Tri, might be due to the language being foreign to me, wasn't tempted to try to read anything. Although in terms of "tutorial," strictly speaking, they only force you to do a cple of things (cook meat and combine pots).

Also a question for the other MH 4 players out the. How would you rank this game compared to other MH games?
No clue, much too early for me. Feels nice. The game plays ok with a frankenstick, although the right bumper is a little uncomfortable for me. Not necessarily too big a fan of the analog vertical camera, could take it or leave it. I like that the framerate is in most instances much smoother than 3U. Visually, it looks ok on the 3DS screen, looks a little better with 3D on for some reason (might be my eyes). But the 3DS' screen resolution isn't that great...

The new maps are ok (the 3 or 4 I've seen), very uneven though. With some areas looking gorgeous, while others are drab and boring. A little disappointed at the content recycling too, in particular for monsters, weapons and sets. I'm still early, but I've already fought great jaggi, cephadrome (sp?), velocidrome, kutku, gypceros, congalala. Their weapons and sets look near identical to what they used to be. I mean, it's nice to have a lot of content, was hoping for more new stuff.

I really like that there are different "villages" though, it's a nice change of pace. The added verticality for the combat is a nice touch, and I also like that they made the character more agile.

The few new monsters I've fought felt... ok I guess. But, yeah, wasn't expecting anything too special early on, they're meant to be cannon fodder. Design-wise, the lemur and the frog-beetle were kinda neat. I enjoyed breaking the frog's tusk!

Difficulty isn't too bad either. I accidently started doing guild quests before doing village quests, got a good scare from it. Sweated bullets doing the old dumb "kill the rhenos!" quest, dodging frog-beetle, then looking frantically for whetstones because: 1- my starting weapon did close to no damage, so I needed a lot of hits to kill a single rheno, 2- it had shit sharpness. Got slightly better gear now, and switched over to village quests. It hasn't been difficult by any mean, but bigger monsters seem to deal decent dmg and take a good chunk of time to go down. Frog-beetle took me a good 20min, when the 3U equivalent (maybe barroth?) would go down in half that, if even. Looking forward to things picking up later on.

Anura

The beginning is long and boring. Probably a cple of hours to the first monster fight. Felt a little shorter than Tri, might be due to the language being foreign to me, wasn't tempted to try to read anything. Although in terms of "tutorial," strictly speaking, they only force you to do a cple of things (cook meat and combine pots).

Don't forget that awesome intro was a tutorial too!

Fistwell

Don't forget that awesome intro was a tutorial too!
Oh, right, crash course on how to use the ship!

Also took me forever to understand what he wanted from me at the very beginning (with the remobras). That's when it hit me, I dont understand a lick of japanese. =)

Top Bottom