• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 |OT| Slay 'em, Skin 'em, Wear 'em

Netto-kun

Saturday can't come soon enough. Though I probably won't get my copy till a week later due to shipping time/work//FFXIV/other games and trying to coordinate online sessions with people who live in Japan + time zone differences. And two weeks later it's Sen no Kiseki!

Hmm, doubt we'll get an announcement this year as MH3U hasn't even been out for a year... Also depends what's their plan for a western release is going to be. If it involves a Wii U HD port again we might have to wait a long time.

Well in Japan MH3U for 3DS came out December 2011 , WiiU version came out December 2012 with WiiU launch. If it comes west alongside the WiiU version we'll probably get it next Winter.

A year after Japan's launch of the game and a year and a half after MH3U hit the states.

YES!!!!! Been waiting for this thread!

Man, I have no problem playing games in Japanese, but when it comes to MH I need to know what's going on with my stats and such.. gonna be confusing at first. Need to bust out the dictionary and take notes..

Or wait for some wiki with translations.

solomon

Can't wait, I ended up skipping ultimate so I'm itching to play a new Mh. So happy the game has online , was sort of annoying setting up ad hoc to play online.

watershed

Banned
A little help if anyone knows:

How RPG like is this game compared to past MH titles? I seem to recall the edition of a "story" and more npcs. If I didn't warm to past MH games because of a lack of story or other non-hunting elements, would I like this game more?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Japan GAF ASSEMBLE!!!!

I have a festival I'm dancing at on Saturday, so I think I'm gonna go digital on this.

Get hyyyyyyyype.

If there is a way to play online together we so gotta go stomp some shit together! Since our geographical location within country does not allow for local wifi D:

My

mh4_3ds_02_thumb.jpg

will be ready on launch! :D Gonna be replacing my red LL.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm so in. My copy is reserved. Sadly, I won't have internet for a few days after the game comes out, and then it's TGS, so I won't have much chance to play in the first week, but I'll definitely be playing afterwards!

A little help if anyone knows:

How RPG like is this game compared to past MH titles? I seem to recall the edition of a "story" and more npcs. If I didn't warm to past MH games because of a lack of story or other non-hunting elements, would I like this game more?
Probably not. It's all about hunting large monsters.

Edith: if there is no announcement by spring 2014 I gonna buy a japanese 3ds.

NewGame

Banned
I am strong! I will wait... wait for the english release... I still need to get all the gold crowns in Ultimate!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Take your sweet time capcom. Gotten get up to hr 10 first on 3u. :p

What HR are you at right now? Shouldn't take that long, unless you're in LR still.

Speaking of which, have they revealed how HR works in MH4?

la_briola

Both versions of the "3DS Monster Hunter 4 Special Pack" is sold out @ AmiAmi.
Does anyone know if they will get more units?

Parakeetman

Both versions of the "3DS Monster Hunter 4 Special Pack" is sold out @ AmiAmi.
Does anyone know if they will get more units?

Usually with LE versions once its gone somewhere its gone. The only place that "might" restock if any would be the official capcom store.

Meesh

My limited Goa Magara 3DS LL will ship this Sat ;)
I don't think I've ever had a moment on the playground where I've been more jealous. *pouts* That said...I think I'm importing a Japanese 3DS XL and game too from Play Asia just not the LE.

Anura

What HR are you at right now? Shouldn't take that long, unless you're in LR still.

It seems to work like the original tri but that's just what I heard from someone else. They said there was a "below 30" option in the online search they showed

Anyways I can't wait for this game! Already get the yen on my E-shop!

Mondriaan

I don't see them changing the formula of pre-req hunts for urgent quest + maybe pre-req quests for some of those pre-req quests without some huge announcement about how they redid the rank system.

Zornica

Banned
The number of blocks is actually known, and has been up on the website for at least a few weeks. It uses 13920 blocks, which is 1740MB.

Sadly, it won't be put on the eShop at midnight, if the site is to be believed.

that sounds worryingly small. no wonder there aren't any compelling textures :p

Both LL bundles shipping Saturday.

I'm broke. But now I have all the special edition MH 3DS's

you bought both of them...?
srsly?

Meesh

Ok, ok, I broke down and ordered the black/gold bundle (Goa Magara) bundle from Nippon-yasan, I think they're priced pretty decent there if anyone wants to check it out.

Does this monster hunter have a proper story (apart from the simple building up your settlement)?

I don't know if it has a "proper" story per se, but there's supposed to be more focus on story progression this time and the game will have the most NPCs in the series to date.

What if I get this version on my jp 3DS and the G version with my USA one.

What do you think, import/jap Gaf? I shouldn't have read this thread...HYPE.

Nilaul

I don't know if it has a "proper" story per se, but there's supposed to be more focus on story progression this time and the game will have the most NPCs in the series to date.

The lack of a proper story is probably the only thing thats stopping me from getting into monster hunter. I basically lost interest in MH3 before I got to understand the game's gameplay and "fun".

Ridley327

Monster Hunter 3 has a perfectly reasonable story.

"Oh hey, a newcomer to our beseiged island. We know what monster is causing earthquakes, but you're too weak right now. Practice on these easier monsters first"
"You've got enough training now to take it on!"
"You did it!"
"Wait, the earthquakes didn't stop, so that means an even bigger monster is loose! Do more training so that you can take it on later."
"You've come so far! Now, kill this giant whale-manatee thing for us single-handedly!"
"You did it!"
"Well, you could do more quests for us to unlock two special fights, or you could just go online. Choice is yours, bro!"

DaBoss

This is what Monster Hunter's story is to me and what is enough for me.

"THERE'S A BIG MONSTER ON THE LOOSE!!! SAVE US!!! KILL(/CAPTURE) IT!!!"
*repeat*

Anura

"Oh hey, a newcomer to our beseiged island. We know what monster is causing earthquakes, but you're too weak right now. Practice on these easier monsters first"
"You did it!"
"Wait, the earthquakes didn't stop, so that means an even bigger monster is loose! Do more training so that you can take it on later."
"You've come so far! Now, kill this giant whale-manatee thing for us single-handedly!"
"You did it!"
"Well, you could do more quests for us to unlock two special fights, or you could just go online. Choice is yours, bro!"

Ceadeus should be nominated for an Oscar

squall23

Do you guys think it'd be possible to mosey on over to a yodobashi camera or biccamera on Saturday and buy the hard copy?
Wait, you mean all those past pictures of MH launch day lines were people who preordered? I thought those were the people that actually DIDN'T preorder, lol.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
I don't think finding the game at a big electronics store like Yodobashi is going to be difficult, even without a preorder. It's the 3DS LL special edition that's hard to get, not the game itself. Besides, you can always just get the digital version.

Parakeetman

Wait, you mean all those past pictures of MH launch day lines were people who preordered? I thought those were the people that actually DIDN'T preorder, lol.

Folks even who did pre-order lined up. Hell back when the MHP2G came out here in Japan for the PSP there was a long ass line in my town was INSANE and these were the pre-order folk too. Which included myself. We were standing out there hours before the midnight launch.

Crazy stuff, was cold as shit too from what I remember.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

"You did it!"
"You did it!"

A true videogame story. All you need and deserve.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Getting this a big, fat, two days early. CAN NOT WAIT.

I remember when MH3 came out, we were actually localizing the US version at the time and after 12 hour crazy work days, we'd go home and...play the JP version online. LOL.

Working on different crazy projects this time around, but still planning to end each day with a nice big serving of MONHAN baby. :D

Have you guys not been localising this one? I thought that would be a given regarding the quality of Tri, but comments in this thread gave me pause for thought.

MonHan is one of my all-time favourite series, and I'm seriously torn about buying a 2/3DS(XL) specifically for it. I still have no idea which hardware model would be best for me, or if I should hold out for the localised version or what (for the record, I've been happily enjoying MHP 3rd with no patches seemingly since time began).

Also... multiplayer! I know 3DS isn't region-free (god damnit), but would the Japanese version work with an eventual western release? Both locally and online? This is a major deciding factor because I have Hunter bros for life who would be much happier with an English version.

Sorry for all the questions. Happy hunting to you lucky blighters getting it next week!

Top Bottom