• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first Monster Hunter and I've really enjoyed the couple of hours that I've played so far. Going out killing something, getting your materials and then crafting better weapons is really satisfying, can't wait to start hunting big monsters.

PKrockin

Holy crap you can wait for AGES to sidestep or backhop after stabbing with the lance. In 3U the window for sidestepping after stabbing was like 15 frames and if you didn't sidestep by then you had to wait for the whole stab cooldown animation to finish before you could do anything. Now it seems like you can interrupt the stab cooldown animation with a sidestep at any time. I am going to abuse the hell out of this.

Did we ever hear from the importers how the weapon balance is in this game?

ryushe

Damn, can't decide if I should go digital or physical with this one. Getting it from BestBuy with GCU brings it down to $32 + a $10 gift card, which is a very sweet deal, but having MH on my console at all times sounds pretty good, too.

Decisions, decisions...

Edit:
Ehh, picked up a physical copy from BestBuy. I'll just double dip in the digital version when the inevitable eShop sale rolls around.

Kane1345

I'm really annoyed at the whole Metroid gear set situation. I usually run female in the MH games because I prefer the look of their gear sets but I want that varia suit so bad >( Anyone know if its a low level armour so I can just make an alt and farm it out quick or if its G rank or something?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yeah I tried lance and whomped everything. I sucked the first time because I kept messing up the execution of the special, but the second time I just used the special button to do it and used it to do mounts and escapes and plow through jaggis.

Although I find the movement a bit awkward as it's a mix of hyper mobile fixed direction with the dashes or super slow normal movement, and the fixed direction doesn't adjust to where the camera is facing so it can get confusing at times you need to focus on the monster. With this and the slow speed it was annoying to work with in close range even with the block and counters so I'd often dash out, but often having nowhere to go because of walls and just needing to run away.

Seems like overall I'm most appreciating Insect Glaive and Long Sword for their more natural feeling mobility and combo options. Both have power-up moves to do for full efficiency and issues with perhaps easily hitting other hunters, but overall I think they'll win out for me.

H1PSTER

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Start by figuring out a cple of moves and combos to use as bread and butter, then build up your repertoire from there.

Switch axe is pretty strong and still fast. The LS would probably not feel meaty enough for you from what you're saying, although it makes you feel pretty nimble.

Edit: lol posted without seeing bueno's remarks, wasn't trying to put down his suggestion (and I love the LS myself).

Long Sword is what you're looking for probably, it's one of the most common weapon choices in prior MonHuns because it's pretty easy to use, long reach, fast and decent damage.

Also try Dual Blades. Super fast attacks and movement. Single hits won't hit as hard as other weapons, but you'll be connecting hits at a much higher pace plus you have powered up modes.

Looks like I'm going to be giving all of them ago.

Thanks guys.

Santiako

Holy crap you can wait for AGES to sidestep or backhop after stabbing with the lance. In 3U the window for sidestepping after stabbing was like 15 frames and if you didn't sidestep by then you had to wait for the whole stab cooldown animation to finish before you could do anything. Now it seems like you can interrupt the stab cooldown animation with a sidestep at any time. I am going to abuse the hell out of this.

Did we ever hear from the importers how the weapon balance is in this game?

Yeah, same with the switchaxe, you have like a full second to sidestep lol

Can't wait to get an armour set with evade+3 :p

MrMuscle

Is someone who used CPP in previous MH and now has n3DS with c-stick and can describe difference?? How it feels, it is worse or better??

I have big hands and im starting to miss my XL CPP. My right thumb is cramping up something fierce and having to "claw" to be able to use the nob. Hopefully ill find a good way to hold it so that i dont have to struggle with this.

Bastos

To those who've already player the JP version: what are the weapons that are only good after you get higher lvled parts?

I remember that there were some weapons in old MHs that lacked damage early in the game to be viable, etc. Does this happen in MH4U too?

GAF.

I can't handle this, MH4U is out and it'll take me like 3 weeks to save for it.

I can't handle this. Now sucking dick for £50 a pop to help me afford a new 3ds and monster hunter.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
Ordered both MH4U and a N3DSXL for in-store pick-up and just got the mail that MH4U is ready, but haven't heard anything for the 3DS yet. Get your shit together, Media Markt, the wait is killing me. *edit* 3DS is also ready, yay!

Also, I've added all of the people on the GAF Guild list, so add me back!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Holy shit I think its up on NA eShop!~!

Purchasing NAO!~!!

Also comes with a theme!

Xane

GAF.

I can't handle this, MH4U is out and it'll take me like 3 weeks to save for it.

I can't handle this. Now sucking dick for £50 a pop to help me afford a new 3ds and monster hunter.

Welp, and here I am buying two spontaneously so my Bro can play too.
knFKawC.jpg

sgjackson

Not sure for the appropriate thread for this so I'll post it here: Does anybody know how much data a 3ds system transfer uses? I'd like to set up a hotspot on my phone to do it with when I go pick this up with my new 3ds but if it's going to send multiple gigs over Wi-Fi I'll do something else.

Lucifon

Still waiting on Flubit to cancel my order, Tuesday delivery estimate is too late for me and I've decided I want this digitally. Ready to just get a digital code from GAME but don't want to double up :(

Hey guys just wondering if anyone playing here is on east asian korean time. Would be great to play with some gaffers who are on the same time zone. Even if your not and still wanna play pm and ill add you. Been playing MH since the first game. Can't wait to hop back in a fight Kirin again.

Quadraxis

Damm guys, game is fun as heck. Rocking the new charge blade and killed the G. Jaggi, Seltas and Velocidrome sub 3 min each the first time. Just curious, what is probably the first "wall" in this game?

caesar

Banned
Hey guys just wondering if anyone playing here is on east asian korean time. Would be great to play with some gaffers who are on the same time zone. Even if your not and still wanna play pm and ill add you. Been playing MH since the first game. Can't wait to hop back in a fight Kirin again.

Yo I am.

Im living in Seoul, but im a complete mon hun noob so I probably wont be online for a while.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Damm guys, game is fun as heck. Rocking the new charge blade and killed the G. Jaggi, Seltas and Velocidrome sub 3 min each the first time. Just curious, what is probably the first "wall" in this game?

IMO Nerscylla or Najarala are the first big tests.

Santiako

Hey guys remember to download the gift package as soon as you can, mainly so you can turn your cat into Mario or Luigi. (It also lets you avoid some tedious grinding for basic items)

JimPanzer

Hey guys remember to download the gift package as soon as you can, mainly so you can turn your cat into Mario or Luigi. (It also lets you avoid some tedious grinding for basic items)

hmm nothing avaible in the DLC area

just arrived in the 4th town, looove the music

Suddenly got an urge to play Heavy Bowgun again, so I guess that's what I'll stick with instead. I'll try out Insect Glaive later on once i can make some better ones.

MrMuscle

hmm nothing avaible in the DLC area

just arrived in the 4th town, looove the music

Dunno if you have done this?

REQUIREMENTS:

- Internet connection

- A copy of Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

- A save file with at least one hunter created

STEPS:

1) Go to the Nintendo eShop

2) Download and install Patch 1.1

3) Load Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

4) Go to "Your House"

5) Talk to the "Housekeeper"

6) Select "Downloadable Content"

7) Go to the "Gift Area" option

8) Download the Starter Pack

9) Exit the Download Menu

10) Check your Item Box

http://www.capcom-unity.com/dubindo...-starter-pack-free-items-and-a-super-surprise

Reknoc

Really liking what they've done to improve the villages, it's slight but the use of NPCs makes it feel a little more busy and having to get quests from people gives it a little more involvement than just some small hub.

Yo I am.

Im living in Seoul, but im a complete mon hun noob so I probably wont be online for a while.

Bought a Metallic Blue n3DS XL along with MH today. Just started it up so I'm just messing with my character right now. Thought it was funny that you could basically dress up your character like Terry from Reno911.

Also I looked into the weapons and they all just seem so cool. Do you get a good chance to play with them all early on? I hate when games make you pick between one or the other without letting you get a feel of anything first.

Edit: I'll add my details to the list once I get everything figured out, but can people from different regions play together? And if they can, is the lag bearable?

popyea

Was able to fix my circle pad (it's much smoother now anyway). It looked like the little donut shaped piece of film was rubbing against the bottom of the stick part and causing problems. The bottom of the stick was all scuffed. Removing the black piece has stopped all the friction, but hopefully that doesn't cause problems down the line. Either way, I'm happy to be ready for release tomorrow.

deim0s

Quote the OP and add your FC with the email links there.

Had to go to 3 different stores they all started selling the game yesterday and had low stock :< but I got it \o/
Going to make a female character and make her look like Luka Megurine kik

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Also I looked into the weapons and they all just seem so cool. Do you get a good chance to play with them all early on? I hate when games make you pick between one or the other without letting you get a feel of anything first.

You get one of every weapon from the start, and you are never locked into one weapon type. You can freely change whenever you want

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom