• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godan

Just ordered this there. First time back to MH since Monster Hunter Freedom 2 which i played a ton of with my friend.

Hope to play with a few gaffers once I get my hunter up and running.

wiibomb

Just ordered this there. First time back to MH since Monster Hunter Freedom 2 which i played a ton of with my friend.

Hope to play with a few gaffers once I get my hunter up and running.

glad you are jumping in, some people I know where I live have been waiting to jump to the 3DS MH since Unite, now they are finally doing it.

if you have questions you can always come to this thread

Moondrop

Banned
Just realised this game doesn't have that low star village mission where you gather shit and oh damn here's the big bad!

edit: it does have an alternative though I guess, but that was just sort of, really annoying.
Yeah, it's nowhere near the same feeling I had when I first saw the Lagiacrus in Tri. I'll never forget that moment.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
oh I didn't know that! that's quite useful, thanks for informing me

Sure! It's kind of nuts actually because the low rank brach set is actually piss easy to make, and if you make the helm, chest, and gloves, the gore magala waist, and the shagaru magala legs, you can actually make an insane low rank set that should last you through most of high rank.

It gives shaprness +1 and you can easily gem in critical draw and quick sheath.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Man, I am really having a blast with Long Sword. I just couldn't get into it in 3U, but I really love how it feels now that I have a dozen or so hours with it. Thinking of branching out into Gunlance as well, another one I couldn't get into in 3U

My one worry is going to be pulling off the long sword combos when I dive back into multiplayer

Peru

I pissed my pants when I first met the Lagiacrus on the gathering quest because Tri was my first MH and I had feared my first meeting with a big monster. I was deathly afraid to hear his music again again after escaping to the other area. Great moment and imo sold the underwater world as one of terror and fear. In a good way.

Reknoc

that quest is a bit odd, but its there, if you have already made the ship, here's where it is:

spoilers, don't look if you haven't made out of Harth:
where you are crossing the sea to reach Cheeko Sands, Gore Magala attacks your ship out of nowhere

Check my edit! But yea, its sort of that, but like, not really? There's something about the original format that makes it more meaningful or something. It might be that the game doesn't feel like it's telling you it's going to happen other than a hint in the quest description whereas for that part everyone is telling you to ready up because "something could happen" with that something being fairly obvious.

I dunno if anything can beat the feeling of trying to get some popo tongues in my goofy ass eskimo clothes and then suddenly cutscene "oh shit here's tigrex to fucking wreck you" for the first time.

wiibomb

Check my edit! But yea, its sort of that, but like, not really? There's something about the original format that makes it more meaningful or something. It might be that the game doesn't feel like it's telling you it's going to happen other than a hint in the quest description whereas for that part everyone is telling you to ready up because "something could happen" with that something being fairly obvious.

I dunno if anything can beat the feeling of trying to get some popo tongues in my goofy ass eskimo clothes and then suddenly cutscene "oh shit here's tigrex to fucking wreck you" for the first time.

the same quest happened in MHTri-MH3U where you try to get monster guts and lagiacrus is in that quest, I had a heart attack when that happened to me.

but yeah, this is not quite the same, that gore magala quest its more like the quest about repelling lagiacrus out of deserted island,

still its a particularly different quest, and one that once you finish you cannot do again, so I found it a little better

Sure! It's kind of nuts actually because the low rank brach set is actually piss easy to make, and if you make the helm, chest, and gloves, the gore magala waist, and the shagaru magala legs, you can actually make an insane low rank set that should last you through most of high rank.

It gives shaprness +1 and you can easily gem in critical draw and quick sheath.

so that's the famous set in low rank... everyone talks about that set

Yeah, I hope that when he comes back, it will be with water combat. Ivory Lagiacrus just didn't have the same level of dread.

Yeah, I kind of agree with you. I mean, I loved fighting him out of water and he was certainly still difficult, but his facial expressions and the floatiness of it all and feeling helpless underwater was just a special kind of scary.

la_briola

I got my (blademaster) gear now! [High rank only]

Evasion +3
Evade Extender
Speed Sharpening

Any Weapon [with 1 slot]
Nargacuga Cap (NOT HELM) [1 slot]
Nargacuga Mail [1 slot]
Nargacuga Braces [2 slots]
Nargacuga Faulds [3 slots]
Nargacuga Greaves
Any Talisman [with 3 slots]
------------------------------------
In total 11 slots.

5*Grinder Jewel 1 (Sharpener +2)
1*Evasion Jewel 1 (Evasion +1)
2*Evasion Jewel 2 (Evasion +3) [needs 2*2 slots]
1*Sprinter Jewel 1 (Stamina +1)

If your weapon doesn't have a slot, or your talisman only two... find one with Evasion :p

Owensboro

I'd forgotten how much I absolutely hate Gravios.

As a new MH player (using Hunting Horn), I'm glad it's not just me on that fight. So far (up to Zinogre) I've only had real trouble with two monsters: Najarala and Gravios. Najarala because I just cant' figure out where the hell to attack him. Up to this point I've been going for headshots on pretty much every monster because, hey, that's more fun, but Najarala? Hell no. Even just going for body shots I feel like I'm always too close and his attacks just rock me. I tried bating out his snapping attack, but it just made the fight take waaaaay to long, and I was never going to break his back for the rattler (to make +Maestro gems) that way. My strategy in the end was to just get two shots on his side, then hope dodging the right way would avoid an attack. It usually didn't =X

As for Gravios, man F that fight. I assumed you were just supposed to try and stand under him and break his belly, but I get hit with EVERYTHING. Spin move, body check (even if I dodge the opposite way), not fast enough to get out of gas attacks, random charges, and he always seems to step on me when just turning. Just THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP, knocking me down each time he turns Thus far, it's my least favorite fight in the game. I bet ranged have a field day with him and it's a lot of fun, but man was I cursing up a storm after using my 5th to 16th Health Potions. He's still the only monster so far to cart me three times.

EDIT: Oh, and on the Zinogre note, are there any strange gather points on bosses other than him? I was surprised as hell when I mounted and knocked him down, and then stumbled upon a gather point for bugs on his back while running into pound his skull into the ground. Got some kind of bug (Furglr or something?) and have no idea what it's for.

As a new MH player (using Hunting Horn), I'm glad it's not just me on that fight. So far (up to Zinogre) I've only had real trouble with two monsters: Najarala and Gravios. Najarala because I just cant' figure out where the hell to attack him. Up to this point I've been going for headshots on pretty much every monster because, hey, that's more fun, but Najarala? Hell no. Even just going for body shots I feel like I'm always too close and his attacks just rock me. I tried bating out his snapping attack, but it just made the fight take waaaaay to long, and I was never going to break his back for the rattler (to make +Maestro gems) that way. My strategy in the end was to just get two shots on his side, then hope dodging the right way would avoid an attack. It usually didn't =X

As for Gravios, man F that fight. I assumed you were just supposed to try and stand under him and break his belly, but I get hit with EVERYTHING. Spin move, body check (even if I dodge the opposite way), not fast enough to get out of gas attacks, random charges, and he always seems to step on me when just turning. Just THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP, knocking me down each time he turns Thus far, it's my least favorite fight in the game. I bet ranged have a field day with him and it's a lot of fun, but man was I cursing up a storm after using my 5th to 16th Health Potions. He's still the only monster so far to cart me three times.

Damn man. I use SnS, which is BARELY enough to even try to reach up to his head, and I didn't have nearly as much trouble as you did. There was a spat where I got sloppy, but hell you got your ass kicked!

Posted a room, ID is 34 0376 8441 1152, pass is 1991
Focus is getting into HR3 (Just need to kill Gore Magala) and then kill Gravios a few times if we can.

EDIT: Oh, and on the Zinogre note, are there any strange gather points on bosses other than him? I was surprised as hell when I mounted and knocked him down, and then stumbled upon a gather point for bugs on his back while running into pound his skull into the ground. Got some kind of bug (Furglr or something?) and have no idea what it's for.

From everything I've read, Gravios is mad tough for melee users, and a super cakewalk for ranged. I had 0 problems with him with a Light Bowgun with water rapid fire. I'd recommend, if you need to farm him, to get the Royal Turrent LBG, use a basic armor set, and just blast him from range.

ilium

phew, high rank village monster hit pretty hard, especially in gunner armor.
guess i'll make tetsu s armor first. it's nice that they give us a hunt 2 tetsu quest..

From everything I've ready, Gravios is mad tough for melee users, and a super cakewalk for ranged. I had 0 problems with him with a Light Bowgun with water rapid fire. I'd recommend, if you need to farm him, to get the Royal Turrent LBG, use a basic armor set, and just blast him from range.

haha yeah, my bow makes short work of gravios. poor blademaster :p

R0ckman

Strange, I was using Sharq Byte and he was a complete joke.

Owensboro

From everything I've ready, Gravios is mad tough for melee users, and a super cakewalk for ranged. I had 0 problems with him with a Light Bowgun with water rapid fire. I'd recommend, if you need to farm him, to get the Royal Turrent LBG, use a basic armor set, and just blast him from range.

If it ever comes to that (thank god he dropped his Shell so I could make the Basarios Rock Mk.II), I'm absolutely building a water ranged weapon. I've wanted to try out the LBG (had a lot of fun with it in the demo), so maybe that's the way to go!

As Mele, are you supposed to break his legs first, then try and topple him over and over to get stomach shots in? I just have no idea how to fight the jerk (and am now actually looking forward to shooting him in the face from range).

Strange, I was using Sharq Byte and he was a complete joke.

Please, tell me your basic strategy for him? Standing right between his feet was the absolute wrong one for me :(

chadi

Gravios is a monster that gets a lot easier after you break its back. I suggest you try mounting it until it breaks then just hit its chest and legs while trying to avoid its attacks. A good opening would be when its firing lasers since its gas would be escaping from its back instead of hitting you from below after its broken.

R0ckman

If it ever comes to that (thank god he dropped his Shell so I could make the Basarios Rock Mk.II), I'm absolutely building a water ranged weapon. I've wanted to try out the LBG (had a lot of fun with it in the demo), so maybe that's the way to go!

As Mele, are you supposed to break his legs first, then try and topple him over and over to get stomach shots in? I just have no idea how to fight the jerk (and am now actually looking forward to shooting him in the face from range).

Please, tell me your basic strategy for him? Standing right between his feet was the absolute wrong one for me :(

Yeah, just to clarify, I'm not gloating or anything. I'm not that great either. I just found it strange, I was expecting to go in to hit a wall, but I actually took him out easy. Basically, all I did was go to him and attack his feet, had two cats, can't remember what my sub was, I want to say he was the bombing one, if not that it was the protection cat I know it was only either of these two. Had the testu armor on. He spent most of his time fighting my cats. I would attack the legs, then mount him at certain times, in general I want to say that jump attacks were really good against him, which I did a lot. He only hit me with the beam like once, all the other times he was trying to shoot it at the cats. In fact, he was one of the few monsters I have faced in the game that wasn't obsessed with me.

Edit: Oh yeah, attacked his back whenever he fell over.

Qurupeke

Weird that you can catch Khezu with shock traps but not Gypceros... I thought Nerscylla or Gigginox were creepy but this one is worse. Its neck stretches reaally far and the fact that no music plays is the worst.

I've been playing for about 12 hours now and I feel like I'm missing major parts of the single player game now. The biggest thing is palicos. I only have my starter (Toonces) and have not found any opportunity to recruit more. Is there a good resource to answer questions like this? These problems are similar to me being unable to find the emerald maiden in dark souls 2 despite knowing where she should be. It's a form of game-blindness.

R0ckman

I've been playing for about 12 hours now and I feel like I'm missing major parts of the single player game now. The biggest thing is palicos. I only have my starter (Toonces) and have not found any opportunity to recruit more. Is there a good resource to answer questions like this? These problems are similar to me being unable to find the emerald maiden in dark souls 2 despite knowing where she should be. It's a form of game-blindness.

Can't recruit until you get to the cat island. Then the cats show up in the cat dens in each map, each map as an affinity towards certain types. Talk to some of your cats and they will tell you.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Argh, I was enjoying the game up until now but that first round of Rathalos and Zinogre last night has this game wired back into my brain. I'm sitting here at work just wanting to look up weapon trees

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member

You'll get to recruit more palicos if you progress somewhat further in the storyline. A lot of features get unlocked that way.

Reknoc

I got my (blademaster) gear now! [High rank only]

Evasion +3
Evade Extender
Speed Sharpening

Any Weapon [with 1 slot]
Nargacuga Cap (NOT HELM) [1 slot]
Nargacuga Mail [1 slot]
Nargacuga Braces [2 slots]
Nargacuga Faulds [3 slots]
Nargacuga Greaves
Any Talisman [with 3 slots]
------------------------------------
In total 11 slots.

5*Grinder Jewel 1 (Sharpener +2)
1*Evasion Jewel 1 (Evasion +1)
2*Evasion Jewel 2 (Evasion +3) [needs 2*2 slots]
1*Sprinter Jewel 1 (Stamina +1)

If your weapon doesn't have a slot, or your talisman only two... find one with Evasion :p

IG? I've been looking at the Nargacuga armour and it seems like a good choice. Plus it looks good.

chadi

Weird that you can catch Khezu with shock traps but not Gypceros... I thought Nerscylla or Gigginox were creepy but this one is worse. Its neck stretches reaally far and the fact that no music plays is the worst.

Gypceros is immune to shock traps because of its rubbery skin. But yeah knowing that Khezu's attacks are lightning, it is kinda weird seeing him in a shock trap. At least for Zinogre it charges him up after he gets trapped. Lol.

Some strategies I remember from MH3U for when this kind of thing happened:
Pitfall traps and Shock traps are fantastic ways to get a bunch of melee hits in (if you're really bold and have them available, bring combine materials to make more). Barrel Bomb Ls also work great for toppling him over. Also, try and mount him as much as you can to knock him out. The rest will be tough, but these will accelerate your fight a ton.

LordGouda

I'm getting constantly annoyed with people not knowing that if you hit the monster while I'm mounted, it'll fuck up my chance to give them free hits on it. It's fine if you didn't know the first time, but if I tell you after we're back in the guild and you still continue to do so, I'm gone and you can fight that monster alone.

wiibomb

I'm getting constantly annoyed with people not knowing that if you hit the monster while I'm mounted, it'll fuck up my chance to give them free hits on it. It's fine if you didn't know the first time, but if I tell you after we're back in the guild and you still continue to do so, I'm gone and you can fight that monster alone.

tell them while mounting.. edit one your shout outs for that..

also, try to not mount much the monster, its gets old pretty fast on the low and high ranks if the monster is mounted too much.. may be that has something to do with people not caring

R0ckman

Argh, I was enjoying the game up until now but that first round of Rathalos and Zinogre last night has this game wired back into my brain. I'm sitting here at work just wanting to look up weapon trees

I remember fighting Rathalos in MH3 and not thinkg he was so hard, during the opening in this, I was like "Why are they treating him like such a badass?" Had more trouble than I thought i would... Problably would have been easier if I remembered that he had poision. Ah well, at least he didn't cart me.

What's up with that arena gimmick where we slide off the end of the stage? Is it an automatic cart if I fall off?

Owensboro

Some strategies I remember from MH3U for when this kind of thing happened:
Pitfall traps and Shock traps are fantastic ways to get a bunch of melee hits in (if you're really bold and have them available, bring combine materials to make more). Barrel Bomb Ls also work great for toppling him over. Also, try and mount him as much as you can to knock him out. The rest will be tough, but these will accelerate your fight a ton.

On the Mounting strategy: I have the hardest time coaxing monsters to a ledge to try and jump at them. I always end up getting them just at a corner, or at an almost impossible angle to get them. I just now saw the "parkour wall jump" from Gaijinhunter and can't wait to use it, but are there better strategies for mounting monsters than "stand near an edge and hope they walk towards you"?

LordGouda

tell them while mounting.. edit one your shout outs for that..

also, try to not mount much the monster, its gets old pretty fast on the low and high ranks if the monster is mounted too much.. may be that has something to do with people not caring
I did after dealing with these people, but it shouldn't be necessary to begin with.

I only do it at least once or twice, and after that I just let the others try or we all just continue wailing. Mounting is fine for the others because you can heal up in the mean time or sharpen to continue the attacks. Or place a trap in it's way after it gets up from a successful mount.

On the Mounting strategy: I have the hardest time coaxing monsters to a ledge to try and jump at them. I always end up getting them just at a corner, or at an almost impossible angle to get them. I just now saw the "parkour wall jump" from Gaijinhunter and can't wait to use it, but are there better strategies for mounting monsters than "stand near an edge and hope they walk towards you"?

I don't try to coax them to a ledge, because that just usually ends with me screwing it up XD. If you see they're by a ledge, do it, if not, forget it. That's been kinda my rule-of-thumb. The jump off of the ledge is surprisingly far.

R0ckman

Are you using a water weapon as well?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
About 90 min in...Okay, so I'm doing something wrong. Hunting a Great Jaggi, and I have nothing to track it. I find it, and hit it a bunch. It limps away, I try to attack but don't get many in. Then it goes into a hole. I then have to randomly wander around till he shows up again. Randomly find it. Attack. It limps away. I eventually ran out of time :-/

R0ckman

About 90 min in...Okay, so I'm doing something wrong. Hunting a Great Jaggi, and I have nothing to track it. I find it, and hit it a bunch. It limps away, I try to attack but don't get many in. Then it goes into a hole. I then have to randomly wander around till he shows up again. Randomly find it. Attack. It limps away. I eventually ran out of time :-/

Paintball it, you get it from the supply bin, blue box.

There should have been paintballs in the stash box

Throw a paintball at it. It'll light up on your minimap for something like 20 minutes after you hit it with a paintball.

Jobbs

Banned
I've been stuck at 3/4 seltas horn for this thing I want to make. I've done the seltas mission several times trying to get another horn and am unsure how. any ideas?

parasky

Neo Member
Racked up about 12 hours so far and still at low rank caravan. This game is so much more fluid than the past games and I really believe that It'll launch the series in western countries.

Farming for monster mats is somehow even worse now though. I've been grinning on Zamtrios (aka Ice Agnaktor deviantart edition) and cannot get his fins even though I break them all the time. Nice to see the desire sensor made it.

Can't wait to fight Khezu though, hopefully they've kept his mechanic of him having no background music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom