• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiibomb

I did after dealing with these people, but it shouldn't be necessary to begin with.

I only do it at least once or twice, and after that I just let the others try or we all just continue wailing. Mounting is fine for the others because you can heal up in the mean time or sharpen to continue the attacks. Or place a trap in it's way after it gets up from a successful mount.

it is kinda necessary when you last 5 more minutes in a hunt because someone is constantly mounting the monster, what you said is perfectly valid for G-Rank since that rank is pretty difficult and mounting gives a little breath, but when you are in a low rank and you hardly use potions you just want to smack the monster the most you can..

mounting while its funny, it somewhat breaks the pace of the hunt and also doesn't deal as much damage to the monster as normal attacks..

of course, I'm talking about people that constantly mounts, Insect Glaives are the most guilty weapons for that, but if you mount once or twice, it gives no excuse for the others, they are just mean..

the strategy you said is actually one very useful for G-Rank, but as I said, sometimes it doesn't work as well in lower ranks

Coppanuva

Fought najarala or whatever his name is this morning, really liked him. Has a cool aesthetic design and his attacks were fun to avoid. Really liking the new monsters overall so far

tuffy

I remember fighting Rathalos in MH3 and not thinkg he was so hard, during the opening in this, I was like "Why are they treating him like such a badass?" Had more trouble than I thought i would... Problably would have been easier if I remembered that he had poision. Ah well, at least he didn't cart me.

What's up with that arena gimmick where we slide off the end of the stage? Is it an automatic cart if I fall off?
Even with his new moves, it was a lot of fun tangling with my old pal Rathalos again.
And falling out of a stage has never been an automatic cart before; it probably just dumps you into another area so you have to climb back up.

JimPanzer

Fought najarala or whatever his name is this morning, really liked him. Has a cool aesthetic design and his attacks were fun to avoid. Really liking the new monsters overall so far

yes! my favorite monster up until now.

still looking for people for HR6 in about half an hour :>

parasky

Neo Member

I can leave or take most of them (I'm up to doing najarala as my next quest), especially those which just feel like replacement monsters like Zamtrios. Impressed with all of the old 2nd gen monster like Kut-Ku and Gyp getting new moves which makes them a lot more fun to hunt than in MHFU.

The new insect monsters are annoying imo. Seltas and Nescrylla and just not fun to fight imo as they just are kind-of boring.

bobohoro

Throw a paintball at it. It'll light up on your minimap for something like 20 minutes after you hit it with a paintball.

I think only 10 minutes, but yeah, paintballs should always be in your inventory until you know where the monsters limp off to. And even then it's nice to have.

Finally got my Gore feelers, even one spare, so I might as well get that IG and play around with it some. Next stop is doing some village stuff, making a HR poison armour and if anyone likes, we could to some food/village upgrade quests online.

I hate Khezu. It's not hard, but it's just... there. It's boring to fight, and I always get caught in its stationary lightning attack. ALWAYS since MH1.

I've wanting Earplugs, but I love my Seregios armor right now and I can't find a charm with it.

Qurupeke

Oh wow. I did the Wyvern eggs quest and of course Rathian appeared. I decided to kill it and then I found a plate in my reward box. :)

R0ckman

I hate Khezu. It's not hard, but it's just... there. It's boring to fight, and I always get caught in its stationary lightning attack. ALWAYS since MH1.

I've wanting Earplugs, but I love my Seregios armor right now and I can't find a charm with it.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't remember roaring being as bad in MH3, it just kind of paused the battle for everyone and there was enough lag on the monster after the monster used it for me to get out of the way of their next attack. Now they can roar and I stay stunned enough for them to kick my ass.

Grr. No Seregios Dissenter any time soon. (It's the rare item for Seregios, the plate/gem equivalent.)

Also, why do people always call monsters 'he' when they're not said to be male? Even here, too. Must be a fanbase thing. Kinda dumb.

Chunky

Man, Al Gore's weapons are metal as fuck.
I thought Zinogre was the metal-monster king, but the German names (excellent choice by 8-4) really seal the deal.
The Greatsword has a skull in the hilt! The DBs are fucking eyeball claws! It's really cool.
I was disappointed at first with the HH, since attack up's its only useable song, but after checking Ping's dex, the upgrade to purple gives it some really cool songs; earplugs, wind press negate, element attack up and Blight Resist/Blight Negate are all really useful.

I love this game so much!

Chunky

Also, some kind soul on Gamefaqs translated all of Magala's weapons.
Here you go!:
GS: "Schattenstolz" -> "shadow pride"
LS: "Stahlfakt" -> "steel fact"
SnS: "Sucher-Ankh" -> "seeker ankh"
DB: "Fledderklauen" -> "ravager fangs/claws"
H: "Wuchtblick" -> "force stare"
HH: "Kummerklang" -> "sound of suffering"
L: "Eiferschild" -> "mettle shield"
GL: "Tyrannenarm" -> "tyrant's arm"
SA: "Eisenleib" -> "iron body"
CB: "Elendskraft" -> "strength of misery"
IG: "Leumundslist" -> "record's ploy"
LBG: "Fäulnisschleuder" -> "decay hurler" (love this one in German)
HBG: ???
Bow: "Entbehrung" -> "deprivation

I especially like the HHs name.

Chuckpebble

Grr. No Seregios Dissenter any time soon. (It's the rare item for Seregios, the plate/gem equivalent.)

Also, why do people always call monsters 'he' when they're not said to be male? Even here, too. Must be a fanbase thing. Kinda dumb.

There are some that are definitively male/female. Rathalos is male, Rathian is female. Diablos can be either, but black diablos are female diablos in heat. I think that there's also a small male bug / large female bug thing going on in this game as well, but I'm not sure. I watch a lot of monster hunter videos. There almost always people correcting such things, at least for the ones that have some evidence somewhere.

Kane1345

Anyone got any tips on how to handle gore with a GS? I've fought him about 3 times with my friends, once with a GS and I just couldn't get a sense of when to charge and when not to. Defeated him with the IG cause I found it was easier for getting rid of the virus and I felt more mobile.

tuffy

Oh wow. I did the Wyvern eggs quest and of course Rathian appeared. I decided to kill it and then I found a plate in my reward box. :)
I suppose she would count as an intruder monster, wouldn't it? They usually have better odds of rare stuff.

I'm going to try that later myself since I need one more spike from her anyway.

wiibomb

There are some that are definitively male/female. Rathalos is male, Rathian is female. Diablos can be either, but black diablos are female diablos in heat. I think that there's also a small male bug / large female bug thing going on in this game as well, but I'm not sure.

seltas and seltas queen, but yeah, I try to always avoid that by saying them "it"

Kinsei

Banned
Cheeky. One of the later low rank quests sneaks in a high rank Gore Magala. I was wondering why I was getting trashed.

There's no way in hell that thing is high rank. Maybe it does high rank damage (If so high rank Gore must be a joke) but it went down in about 5 minutes with low rank gear so there's no way it has high rank health and defense.

58 hours on the clock...
Had 40 by Tuesday morning. I need help guys.

I'm in the same boat here. :c It's SO good.

There are some that are definitively male/female. Rathalos is male, Rathian is female. Diablos can be either, but black diablos are female diablos in heat. I think that there's also a small male bug / large female bug thing going on in this game as well, but I'm not sure.

Mmmyes, I noticed. It's the Seltas is male, and the Seltas Queen is female. But on this very page, Najarala and Zamtrios are referred to as male, even when they aren't referred to as such in-game. Most monsters aren't given any real specified gender anyway. 'It' would be a better term.

EDIT: Beaten like a goddamn fat Zamtrios

Qurupeke

I suppose she would count as an intruder monster, wouldn't it? They usually have better odds of rare stuff.

I'm going to try that later myself since I need one more spike from her anyway.

I didn't know about that, it makes sense then. The more you know, I guess.

chadi

Anyone got any tips on how to handle gore with a GS? I've fought him about 3 times with my friends, once with a GS and I just couldn't get a sense of when to charge and when not to. Defeated him with the IG cause I found it was easier for getting rid of the virus and I felt more mobile.

Charge to its head when enraged after a mount for feelers and to have it go back to non-rage mode plus a shiny drop. When it does its explosive attack or trio virus ball attack (sorry don't know what to call them lol), get behind him and charge attack its tail to cut it off for an extra carve.

Valus

When do I get to do village HR quests? I'm currently doing 6* quests and have an urgent to kill
some crab monster for the ACE Cadet.

Chunky

When he's just charging around, going hit-and-run is probably youir best bet. Gore's got quite a few big wind-up attacks though that give you plenty of time to at least get a level 3 off. For example, when his feelers are up he does that massive slam that breaks the ground. If you can see it coming and get behind him, you'll be sitting pretty.
His virus-ball attack, especially when he does three in a row, is another good opportunity.
There's always the classic Gotcha-Bitch to the face when he's flying/charging at you. Very hard to pull off though, takes a lot of practice.

Kane1345

Charge to its head when enraged after a mount for feelers and to have it go back to non-rage mode plus a shiny drop. When it does its explosive attack or trio virus ball attack (sorry don't know what to call them lol), get behind him and charge attack its tail to cut it off for an extra carve.

Reading that all makes sense. I'll give it a shot, cheers

When he's just charging around, going hit-and-run is probably youir best bet. Gore's got quite a few big wind-up attacks though that give you plenty of time to at least get a level 3 off. For example, when his feelers are up he does that massive slam that breaks the ground. If you can see it coming and get behind him, you'll be sitting pretty.
His virus-ball attack, especially when he does three in a row, is another good opportunity.
There's always the classic Gotcha-Bitch to the face when he's flying/charging at you. Very hard to pull off though, takes a lot of practice.

Also welcome advice, thanks. I can see why some people prefer to solo certain monsters because when there's 3 people the monsters become way less predictable in terms of where they face or who they're going to attack. It's probably why I could beat him in the demo quite easily compared to having the full game and fighting him online

All the game has been a joke so far but then the god damn Cephadrome carted me twice, I'm always going to hate him. I don't have the patience for that monster.

Tanston

I'm trying to get a sense for whether I would like this game/series and despite playing the demo I still can't get a sense if the game is gonna hook me or not. Couple of quick questions.

1: If i've been addicted to diablo my whole life will farming for monster parts to craft upgrades scratch that same itch?

2: It's my understanding that the quests can be rather long and some monster fights can take close to an hour? Can you save in the middle of these long battles? It's pretty rare for me to get huge chunks of uninterrupted game time these days so I place a pretty high value on being able to save and exit a game at the drop of a hat.

3: As a total newbie to the series can i expect a slow progression of gear upgrades even when i'm not very skilled or will I be banging my head against the difficulty pretty much from the word go? I guess what I mean is will I always feel like i'm making some small progress even when I suck? I'm alright with a learning curve but I like to feel like I can make some progress while I'm learning even if it's slow progress.

wwm0nkey

I'm trying to get a sense for whether I would like this game/series and despite playing the demo I still can't get a sense if the game is gonna hook me or not. Couple of quick questions.

1: If i've been addicted to diablo my whole life will farming for monster parts to craft upgrades scratch that same itch?

If you like loot then yes, but the loot here is used to make the weapons rather than just dropping them. though Expedition missions can drop weapons and armor but you have to "unrust" it first.

2: It's my understanding that the quests can be rather long and some monster fights can take close to an hour? Can you save in the middle of these long battles? It's pretty rare for me to get huge chunks of uninterrupted game time these days so I place a pretty high value on being able to save and exit a game at the drop of a hat.

Fights don't really take that long at all. I would say 10-15min, 30min max though. Also just shut your 3DS and it will put the game in standby

3: As a total newbie to the series can i expect a slow progression of gear upgrades even when i'm not very skilled or will I be banging my head against the difficulty pretty much from the word go? I guess what I mean is will I always feel like i'm making some small progress even when I suck? I'm alright with a learning curve but I like to feel like I can make some progress while I'm learning even if it's slow progress.

You always feel like you are getting better at the game, because there is no hand holding so you just beat a monster and maybe hardly survive and you want his gear, so you fight him again but you're doing better because you now know his patterns and when to strike and ect.

So you are always getting better with or without the loot helping, its a very rewarding experience :)

1. It's a similar itch. I used to play a lot of Diablo and Phantasy Star Online, and this scratches a similar itch to both of those. There's a lot more meaningful & strategic combat in this one I would say, but about the same looting.

2. 3DS has standby mode. If you're near a charger, you can just close your 3DS and come back to it later. Most of my fights don't take more than 20-30 minutes, but some will take upwards of 40 minutes. There is a time limit on most quests of 50 minutes.

3. The progression is about as quick as you want it to be. If you stick to one weapon only, you'll progress a little slower with upgrades than if you decide to find 2-4 different kinds of weapons, but you'll become a master of that one and maybe it'll speed up your kill times.

1. This game is addicting as fuck.

2. Quests usually have a 50 minute time limit, but you should be able to kill everything by the 20-30 minute mark unless your gear really sucks or you need more practice. You can pause the game or just close your system if you're playing solo anyways.

3. MH is a really rewarding experience, you really feel that you're "learning" the game as you progress, you might get stuck at times, but finding the right weapon and sticking to it will do wonders.

ChrisD

Almost the exact same amount of hours. I need to take a bit of a break though. dem hand cramps.

I "only" played for four hours yesterday. My right hand still hurts a bit. Blasted R button is so uncomfortable to press for such large amounts of time.

Meanwhile, my brother has played for 65 hours, is still playing as I type, and hasn't had any cramps. HANDS OF STEEL.

wiibomb

Is there more DLC beyond the mario & luigi outfits yet?

that DLC with items is just an special paid pack that is free, it's speculated that there will be more paid DLC like that, but actually.. paid..

the free DLC are about quest in where some you get special weapons and armor, none of them are out yet, but when they start coming, they will be released weekly

Shengar

I "only" played for four hours yesterday. My right hand still hurts a bit. Blasted R button is so uncomfortable to press for such large amounts of time.

Meanwhile, my brother has played for 65 hours, is still playing as I type, and hasn't had any cramps. HANDS OF STEEL.

His hand just glued permanently to his 3DS and no longer feel any cramp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom