• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chunky

Reading that all makes sense. I'll give it a shot, cheers

Also welcome advice, thanks. I can see why some people prefer to solo certain monsters because when there's 3 people the monsters become way less predictable in terms of where they face or who they're going to attack. It's probably why I could beat him in the demo quite easily compared to having the full game and fighting him online

Yeah that's why most of time my cats stay at home. Especially for something like GS, you need to know exactly where the monster's going at all times.

The learning curve is so great in this, it is what I imagined the souls series would be without the cheap shots.

The feeling of getting better, even slightly, is great.

Alright. Another awesome night and another round of questions. You guys are the best for helping me out so much. I've tried to google as many questions as I can, so this is the list of things I couldn't find great answers on.

I'm doing Caravan Quests and I just did my first Urgent quest to kill Kecha Wacha. That puts me at 3 Star Quests. I'm running the first upgrade tier of Derning armor set and just got my Long Sword up to Iron Gospel.

1. I think I'm ready to start crafting my first armor set. Jaggi Armor has Speed Sharpening. Velociprey Armor has Attack Up (S). Which is better for LS?
  2. I have a guild quest with Velocidrome stored. How do I run it again?
  3. I got my first piece of rusted gear, some gauntlets. I can't find a good guide on how to actually make it usable, though.
  4. I sometimes have trouble with combos with my LS. Take for instance X+X+A+A. Should I only tap buttons 4 times? Or can I mash a couple extra and not screw stuff up?
  5. I've had trouble mounting. Once I mount, I'm fine, but any tips for successfully landing on a monster? Does the attack need to be just before I hit? Or can I swing as soon as I jump?
  6. How does the Monster kill timer work? Does it count from when you first hit them til their dead? Or only time in the same zone with them? (I ask because I had to run back to base while fight Kecha last night).
  7. When I see a monster has breakable parts, (Gore has breakable head, horns and wings), will I be able to break them with LS? or only Hammer? I've seen talk that mounting can allow a cutting weapon to break stuff. Is that true? Or as a general rule can I trap and get a chance at the breakables?
  8. Oh, and can someone point me towards a good guide for playing online?
    (Last night I tried and didn't have great results: I hit the World Map, picked Gathering Hall, changed online status, then did a search for Velocidrome. I got into a gathering hall, but I was the only one in the hall. I went to the Quest board and it said 2 people were on a Tetsu quest. So I grabbed that quest and started it, but I was the only one in the quest. What is going on?)
Thanks again. I had a blast playing last night and can't wait to dive in again.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
It's the one time I've really considered picking up some sort of grip for my 3DS. This coming from a guy with 150 hours of Smash 3DS and 700+ hours of Pokemon Y. But Monster Hunter just puts a special sort of strain. I have about 200 hours in 3U on 3DS, but most of my hours (another 500) on Wii U.

ChrisD

His hand just glued permanently to his 3DS and no longer feel any cramp

That's about it hahaha. And he was planning on skipping out because 3 Ultimate didn't hold him for long!

Does anyone here have the Circle Pad Pro XL? Comfortable? Worth it?

Fandangox

[*]Oh, and can someone point me towards a good guide for playing online?
(Last night I tried and didn't have great results: I hit the World Map, picked Gathering Hall, changed online status, then did a search for Velocidrome. I got into a gathering hall, but I was the only one in the hall. I went to the Quest board and it said 2 people were on a Tetsu quest. So I grabbed that quest and started it, but I was the only one in the quest. What is going on?)
[/LIST]

Getting online is a bit weird in this game, it was fairly simple and practical in MH3.

Basically, pick the gathering hall in the world map, and change your status to online, once you join a room, if the quest is already started, the board should have a timer on how long have the players spent on the quest. (So the player can have a good idea if to stay and wait or look for another room if too bored)

Once the quest is started you cannot join the other players, you have to wait for them to finish, so when you grabbed your own tetsu quest that just made a separate one.

I haven't had cramps by playing, but it sure hurt my hand a lot more than any other game I've played on the 3DS for a long amount of time. My marathon (12-14h, can't remember exactly) made me want to put my hands on ice after a while.

I'm using the CPP on an OG 3DS.

Kinsei

Banned
Alright. Another awesome night and another round of questions. You guys are the best for helping me out so much. I've tried to google as many questions as I can, so this is the list of things I couldn't find great answers on.

I'm doing Caravan Quests and I just did my first Urgent quest to kill Kecha Wacha. That puts me at 3 Star Quests. I'm running the first upgrade tier of Derning armor set and just got my Long Sword up to Iron Gospel.

1. I think I'm ready to start crafting my first armor set. Jaggi Armor has Speed Sharpening. Velociprey Armor has Attack Up (S). Which is better for LS?
  3. I got my first piece of rusted gear, some gauntlets. I can't find a good guide on how to actually make it usable, though.
  4. I sometimes have trouble with combos with my LS. Take for instance X+X+A+A. Should I only tap buttons 4 times? Or can I mash a couple extra and not screw stuff up?
  5. I've had trouble mounting. Once I mount, I'm fine, but any tips for successfully landing on a monster? Does the attack need to be just before I hit? Or can I swing as soon as I jump?
  6. How does the Monster kill timer work? Does it count from when you first hit them til their dead? Or only time in the same zone with them? (I ask because I had to run back to base while fight Kecha last night).
  7. When I see a monster has breakable parts, (Gore has breakable head, horns and wings), will I be able to break them with LS? or only Hammer? I've seen talk that mounting can allow a cutting weapon to break stuff. Is that true? Or as a general rule can I trap and get a chance at the breakables?

1. Velociprey armor is better.
3. You need to do the 3* Tetsucabra quest to unlock the rust abolisher.
4. You can mash.
5. It starts as soon as the quest starts.
6. LS can break everything except Hermitaur's shell.
7. If you hit the button too early the attack will end before you hit the monster. Always aim for the body and not the legs, head, etc.
8. That's because everyone has to join the quest before they start. One person picks the quest and then the other players grab the quest from the board. Once the ones who joined ready up the player who posted the quest can start it.

1. I think I'm ready to start crafting my first armor set. Jaggi Armor has Speed Sharpening. Velociprey Armor has Attack Up (S). Which is better for LS? I would say Veloci armor. You can get decorations that'll even boost it up to Attack Up M.
  3. I got my first piece of rusted gear, some gauntlets. I can't find a good guide on how to actually make it usable, though. There is a guy in Harth that'll do this. You probably haven't unlocked it yet.
    I believe the combo is X+X+A+X and it starts it over again. Don't forget the fade slash by pressing XA at the same time. It's great for repositioning.

A few answers.

Kane1345

Yeah that's why most of time my cats stay at home. Especially for something like GS, you need to know exactly where the monster's going at all times.

Indeed but I can't really do that when fighting with my friends online hehe. I think when I fight him in SP my cats are definitely not coming...

kollapse

Neo Member
As I tend to do with MH games, I'm working my way through all the village content first before heading online. Even though I did this with the import vanilla game, it's just so fun.

This game is so tight, top to bottom, and there is a staggering amount of content.

I'm still rocking Tetsu armor, but I'm going to try for the Gore/Ceanataur classic for low rank, if I can get enough decent drops. I got the Gore plate on my second run of him in village, for which I am very grateful, as RNG is never kind to me in MH, lol.

The best modern series. So tight. Close to perfect in every way.

Shengar

Velociprey armor have better skills overall with that Attack Up and Detect when you can gem it in, not to mention far better defense value.
    Check your Guild Quest from the Menu, then add it to your quest list so you can do it again from Gathering Hall
    You'll be able to use it in the second town, Harth Village after defeating Tetsucabra
    Personally since I play MH3U on Wii U and there is input lag with the TV, I kinda mash the button. The combos, X+X+A+X can executed just fine, but with mashing like that most likely you'll locked in attack animation which can be disastrous against certain monster attack. I suggest you to time your button press accordingly while it's actually rather difficult.
    You need to time your jump attack and calculate the distance between you and the monster for the best result.
    Timer start and counting since the quest starting
    Cutting weapon almost able to break any weapon part except for a few that only an impact weapon can. But impact weapon can't cut tail, so if you want to break as many as possible, cutting weapon or LS in your case is a good bet especially with that reach.

Answer in bold
Sorry can't answer the last one, really tired right now

tuffy

As I tend to do with MH games, I'm working my way through all the village content first before heading online. Even though I did this with the import vanilla game, it's just so fun.
That's what I wound up doing in 3 Ultimate, and that's what I'm doing here for the most part. The single-player hunts seem balanced for a nice sense of progression and I feel more comfortable online once I've had plenty of practice. I'd rather trivialize the multiplayer hunts with overpowered single-player gear than the reverse since the former go pretty fast as it is.

PrankT

I am using Great Jaggi armor and Switch-Axe (Barbarian Axe, just one or two upgrades from the base Switch-Axe). I played through Velocidrome, Yian Kut-Ku, and Kecha Wacha last night and the weapon needs sharpening after any combo or a few regular hits. Seemed like it lasted a lot longer when I was fighting the Great Jaggi. Does sharpness go down faster against higher ranking monsters? I know I need to upgrade the Axe, but I don't have the materials yet.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
That's what I wound up doing in 3 Ultimate, and that's what I'm doing here for the most part. The single-player hunts seem balanced for a nice sense of progression and I feel more comfortable online once I've had plenty of practice. I'd rather trivialize the multiplayer hunts with overpowered single-player gear than the reverse since the former go pretty fast as it is.

In MH3U I had a friend who always wanted to play so I ended up ditching the village quests after low rank, I didn't go back and finish them until I had cleared G rank.

In MH4U I'm doing the opposite and the way I actually wanted to do it, clear village first then do more online stuff. I love monhun because you can really set your own pace. It's got a major online component to the game but it doesn't really ever feel like you're getting "left behind" you know?

Owensboro

Are you using a water weapon as well?

Yeah, I built the Kacha Whappa (sp) specifically for the fight (and because it looks awesome). I probably just need to be less aggressive on him and be more careful with attacks. I was in a rush to get that fight done both times because I reaaaaaly wanted that rocking Bass Guitar weapon. That's my kind of dumb.

Ok, few quick questions. Seasoned MH vet, but some of the things in 4U i am alittle confused about...

Guild Quests...how do I "register" these? Are they the MP or SP quests?

Yian Kut-Ku...I need this jerkface to start my Kut-Ku bow set, but I can only find him very rarely in the free hunt, is there any place I can go for a more reliable method instead of doing that steak mission over and over until he appears?

Im at Village 4*, with the Gore Urgent sitting there, waiting for me. But I want the Kut Ku bow, from what I can tell it's a solid bow that can be upgraded pretty well.

Thanks all. I really need to 1) add myself to this "list" I keep reading about, 2) play with more gaffers (part of 1), and 3) find more time to play!!

Chuckpebble

I am using Great Jaggi armor and Switch-Axe (Barbarian Axe, just one or two upgrades from the base Switch-Axe). I played through Velocidrome, Yian Kut-Ku, and Kecha Wacha last night and the weapon needs sharpening after any combo or a few regular hits. Seemed like it lasted a lot longer when I was fighting the Great Jaggi. Does sharpness go down faster against higher ranking monsters? I know I need to upgrade the Axe, but I don't have the materials yet.

That axe has very a very small sliver of green sharpness, maybe 20 hits worth. Each hit counts as 1 unit of sharpness, a hit that bounces knocks off 2 units of sharpness. Certain parts of monsters require higher sharpness to not bounce (ie Kut Ku's wings).
Since you're using switch axe, which has the nice quality of never bouncing in sword mode, you may not be noticing that you're hitting such spots. Look for a yellow spark and listen for a thunk sound.

When a weapon has a small top sharpness like that, I just ignore it and presume I'll be working in the larger bar below it.

Kinsei

Banned
Ok, few quick questions. Seasoned MH vet, but some of the things in 4U i am alittle confused about...

Yian Kut-Ku...I need this jerkface to start my Kut-Ku bow set, but I can only find him very rarely in the free hunt, is there any place I can go for a more reliable method instead of doing that steak mission over and over until he appears?

Im at Village 4*, with the Gore Urgent sitting there, waiting for me. But I want the Kut Ku bow, from what I can tell it's a solid bow that can be upgraded pretty well.

Thanks all. I really need to 1) add myself to this "list" I keep reading about, 2) play with more gaffers (part of 1), and 3) find more time to play!!

Keep doing expeditions until you get a Kut-Ku guild quest. You can do them slo or with other people, but I'm not sure how to register them as I've never actually registered one.

Teknoman

Keep doing expeditions until you get a Kut-Ku guild quest. You can do them slo or with other people, but I'm not sure how to register them as I've never actually registered one.

Its in the start menu. Register it then take it on at the gathering hall.

wiibomb

you can check in the start menu (while not in a quest) the list of "Guild Quests" you can have up to 50 unregistered, but only 10 registered and they can be done from the guild hall solo or in multiplayer, you get quests by completing expedition, whenever you want to do them on the Everwood

Mzo

Go into your start menu while in town, there's a Guild Quests option.

It's all kind of weird. Reminds of the dark notes from Theatrhythm. Why would I want to keep some over others? For the loot that's listed? Looking at it I assume some drops are from the original Freedom series and some are from Tri. I think they level up when you do them as well.

I want to undertake my first trap quest, what do I need and what do I need to know to attempt doing it?

I checked out Gaijin Hunters YouTube but didn't see any tutorial on trapping...

PrankT

That axe has very a very small sliver of green sharpness, maybe 20 hits worth. Each hit counts as 1 unit of sharpness, a hit that bounces knocks off 2 units of sharpness. Certain parts of monsters require higher sharpness to not bounce (ie Kut Ku's wings).
Since you're using switch axe, which has the nice quality of never bouncing in sword mode, you may not be noticing that you're hitting such spots. Look for a yellow spark and listen for a thunk sound.

When a weapon has a small top sharpness like that, I just ignore it and presume I'll be working in the larger bar below it.

Thanks. I guess I will just need to keep sharpening, which is very fast with the Jaggi armor. I just looked at all of the Switch-Axe progression options and my mind was blown. So many options.....................

1) You register them via the Pause menu, page 2, Guild Quests. You'll then see Registered Quests on the left tab, and Manage Quest List on the right. You check the quests you want from Manage, and there should be a register button. You can only have a limited number of guild quests registered at a time, but the actual number escapes me right now. These can be played both solo and via multiplayer, via the gathering hall. Each time you complete the quest you level it up and it becomes a bit more difficult, so you'll either need to keep getting better gear if you want to keep solo'ing the same quest at a certain point I'd imagine, or else head online.

2) He's a Caravan 2 quest which you could repeat (or is that the steak mission you are referring to?). Alternatively, when you do an expedition, at the end you have a chance to get a random guild quest. I got a Yian Kut-Ku one which I've run like 7 times now. Note that when you do an expedition, the guild quest you receive may be unrelated to the monsters that are on the expedition. It's just luck which monster(s) you'll get for the guild quest, if any. A nice bonus though is as you do more expeditions, you increase your rare discovery rate, which when that happens, there's a very high chance that there will be rusted gear on that expedition, which is nice.

I want to undertake my first trap quest, what do I need and what do I need to know to attempt doing it?

In general, weaken the monster, trap the monster, and then use tranq bomb's.

Do enough damage so he starts limping away. Sometimes it can be tough to tell, but if you pay attention to the visuals, animations and the behavior of the monster, you can tell. There's also skills you can get which will let you know when it's capturable.

Once he is limping, he is now capturable. You need to get them in a shock trap (best because they are a big target), or pitfall trap. Once they are in the trap, hit them with 2-3 tranq bomb's and you got yourself a monster!

Hmmm....thanks, reminded me that I might already have it. I *think* I already saw the "Yian Kut Ku Guild Quest" announcement...I think....but I am in the middle of a Congalala/YKK expedition, and am currently off my lunch break at work. I'll check it out next break, once I clear up the rest of these suckas. I need to poke around more in the menus I guess..

wiibomb

Hmmm....thanks, reminded me that I might already have it. I *think* I already saw the "Yian Kut Ku Guild Quest" announcement...I think....but I am in the middle of a Congalala/YKK expedition, and am currently off my lunch break at work. I'll check it out next break, once I clear up the rest of these suckas. I need to poke around more in the menus I guess..

if you are in 4* village quest then you should have already seen it since you cannot go further until you fight one there, getting the actual kut ku guild quest is really up to how much successful expeditions you have made

Mzo

You're gonna need a trap. They don't stack so you can only bring one of each type: pitfall trap or shock trap. The guild should provide an EZ trap as well during Village quests.

You're also going to need Tranq Bombs. It takes 2-3 to put a monster out, but you might as well bring more since you could mess it up.

What you do is attack the monster until it's limping or showing signs of fatigue (not hunger, that's different), put down the trap, lure them into it, then hit them with the tranqs until they're out.

The problems come with not knowing the monster is weak or putting down a trap just before a monster leaves the area. It's easiest to wait until they limp away to sleep, then put down a trap on them and wake them up with tranq bomb throws.

PS - they did change tranq bombs slightly in that if you press the button with the stick neutral, you throw it at your feet to hit all around you, but if you hold a direction you toss it like you normally toss anything else.

you can check in the start menu (while not in a quest) the list of "Guild Quests" you can have up to 50 unregistered, but only 10 registered and they can be done from the guild hall solo or in multiplayer, you get quests by completing expedition, whenever you want to do them on the Everwood
Good wall of text cut down for size
Good stuff, thank you. I like the idea of those quests leveling up...the thought of a badass YKK is hilarious.
2) He's a Caravan 2 quest which you could repeat (or is that the steak mission you are referring to?)
I was initially referring to the very first quest, delivering the steak, to cycle the expedition monsters, since you can deliver a steak in your inventory to complete it. 30 seconds of next to no work and the expedition changes. However, I might just reserve this method for speeding up the "farm" lady. Once I'm out of my current expedition I'll scope out those 2 stars again.

Thanks all, appreciate your help.

yukonrye

MH noob and gunlance user. How to I cut the tail off using this weapon? Everytime I try the monster ends up dying. Does artillery and wyvern's fire damage count or do I need to stick to pokes and overhead slams?

Mzo

MH noob and gunlance user. How to I cut the tail off using this weapon? Everytime I try the monster ends up dying. Does artillery and wyvern's fire damage count or do I need to stick to pokes and overhead slams?

Which monster? You can't cut off every tail. Earliest tails I've seen that can be cut are Basarios and Rathian.

But yeah, you just poke it with the lance. If it's too high to reach, you poke the legs until they fall over or mount them to make them fall.

yukonrye

Which monster? You can't cut off every tail. Earliest tails I've seen that can be cut are Basarios and Rathian.

But yeah, you just poke it with the lance. If it's too high to reach, you poke the legs until they fall over or mount them to make them fall.
Gravios and Gore Magala. Gore is the one I've been trying the most as I want to make his chest piece.

wiibomb

every hit from the proper gunlance makes a cutting damage, any bomb/shelling does not, if you are killing it before cutting the tail, then you should focus more hits on the tail, there is not much to say, you need to practice more your abilities for that..

Thank you Iced_Eagle and Mzo, I'll try it now and see how it goes :)

May the hunts be ever in your favor!

Three other tips:
- You can't pick up your traps, so be mindful of when you place it down. It sucks when you place a trap and the monster immediately leaves the area.
- The monster regains health when it sleeps. It's possible it could have limped to the area to sleep, and slept enough to go back above the capture point.
- The Tranq Bombs' effect lasts for a few seconds. If you do hit them with 2 bombs and nothing happens, quickly attack them because they may be just over the threshold, especially if they were just sleeping.

At this point I think it might be easier for me to farm up a good water/sleep bow to fight Gravios, because I seriously need his scalp. Just one. Please, just give it to me.

Fandangox

Only Cut damage will count towards the tail, always aim at the tail. Although some monsters cannot get their tail cut (like the Tetsucabra)

If you are offline try to mount it and knock it down, and aim at the tail.

If you have Normal Shot type spread you can do two thrust attacks against the tail and then fire a shell which will allow you to restart your chain and get two more cuts in, until you are out of shots.

So X + X + A (Fires Bullet, can star combo again) If you press A immediately after firing a shot you will reload your last shot, and if you press X after that you will do a slam cut which should do some more cut damage.

X+A does an upward thrust, should be helpful in certain situations against rathian/rathalos since their tail is up high.

yukonrye

Only Cut damage will count towards the tail, always aim at the tail. Although some monsters cannot get their tail cut (like the Tetsucabra)

If you are offline try to mount it and knock it down, and aim at the tail.

If you have Normal Shot type spread you can do two thrust attacks against the tail and then fire a shell which will allow you to restart your chain and get two more cuts in, until you are out of shots.

So X + X + A (Fires Bullet, can star combo again) If you press A immediately after firing a shot you will reload your last shot, and if you press X after that you will do a slam cut which should do some more cut damage.

X+A does an upward thrust, should be helpful in certain situations against rathian/rathalos since their tail is up high.
Thanks everyone for the help. I've been focusing too much on shelling/WF it seems. So if normal lance attacks are cutting are shelling attacks considered impact damage or is there another damage type?

Fandangox

Thanks everyone for the help. I've been focusing too much on shelling/WF it seems. So if normal lance attacks are cutting are shelling attacks considered impact damage or is there another damage type?

It dears fire damage, and unless they changed it here, its always set, depends on where you aim/monster resistance. But yeah only the cut/slices of the gunlance will cut parts, you can break with both the shells and cuts though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom