• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's probably because I'm still playing town quests (9 stars, about to hunt Brute Tigrex), but monsters seem to be easier than I remember.

I hunted Azure Rathalos and Seregios yesterday and only needed to use a couple Mega Potions, the same with Gravios and Zinogre.
Town quests are supposed to be HR, are there any G-Rank quests in-town?

Filth

While performing the Final Charge attack with the Axe (X+A in neutral in Axe stance) as long as you have some phials, press RT. You'll store the attack in your shield, and the buff will last longer the more phials you used.

The charged shield gives you a 20% damage boost to all Axe attacks, buffs your block in general, allows you to gain a phial when utilizing auto-guard points, and allows you to spend the entire charged shield + additional phials for an ultimate attack.

Thankkkkk youuuuu.

Now real monster hunter begins

Netto-kun

Anyone up for some online multiplayer? I'd like to poke Brachydios a couple of times so I can make its CB, IG and Lance/Gunlance and get past HR3 and maybe some more. I have day off tomorrow, so I can stay up till pretty late.

Edit: Made a room.

42-5417-1969-8969

Pw: 1234

Voror

How do you pull off that trick with charging the shield with the charge blade? I've watched gaijin's videos but can't seem to wrap my head around why to do.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
What are some sexy low rank dual blades and hammer to aim for? I now have Leader's Shotels

Anyone want to farm the Velocidrome with me? I hhave the GQ for low rank.

What are some sexy low rank dual blades and hammer to aim for? I now have Leader's Shotels

Seltas hammer looks cool and is easy to get early on:

MH4-Hammer_Render_015.png

derwalde

any lancers around? what is the first good armor to make (guard+1/2, guard boost, evade 1/2, it doesnt matter, ill take anything)?

Netto-kun

How do you pull off that trick with charging the shield with the charge blade? I've watched gaijin's videos but can't seem to wrap my head around why to do.
You can do one of the following things. Remember that you need to fill up at least one phial.

1. While in Axe mode, stand still and hit X+A to use the super burst and press R to cancel the attack and the shield will be charged
2. After a shield thrust (X+A after after attacks normal attacks in sword&shield mode), hit X+A again and you'll go straigth into super burst. Press R to cancel attack and charge the shield.

Anyone up for some online multiplayer? I'd like to poke Brachydios a couple of times so I can make its CB, IG and Lance/Gunlance and get past HR3 and maybe some more. I have day off tomorrow, so I can stay up till pretty late.

42-5417-1969-8969

Sure, I'll join.

Raxus

yep, this is the first bow with power shot, but i wouldn't recommend it unless you're heavily into sleep bombing.
as others have mentioned already, gore bow is the first usefull bow with power shot, and it's an amazing weapon. you should get it asap.

It's a shame one of the most useful bows is so deep into the game.

H1PSTER

42-5417-1969-8969

I'm in.

I coasted through this game..right up until I fought the
Emerald Congalala
. Dusted me off real good. I'm working on a new armor set and I shall have my revenge..

Mupod

If there's one thing they really nailed in this one it's the monster variety. Bugs, snakes, bears, frogs, spiders, monkeys, crabs...far cry from Tri aka Dinosaur Hunter.

Anyways, just cleaning up low rank quests to get my food and such upgraded. That final egg delivery mission in that chain sure was something. Glad I went into that with Felyne Lander, Supercat, Autotracker and Pro Transporter.

I also learned that my stupid support cat has a talent for putting shock traps in the worst places ever. He practically spams them though, I've seen him drop 2 in a fairly short window. I don't normally play with cats when using GS or hammer, but I kept them around to level them up (for later bowgun use) and they are really powerful in this game.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I am weak

My local GameStop finally got new 3DSs in

And I asked them to hold onto one for me

I probably wouldn't have done this if my damn L button didn't keep breaking every half hour

But I need to hunt

ttocs

I am weak

I probably wouldn't have done this if my damn L button didn't keep breaking every half hour

But I need to hunt

The new 3ds is so worth it. Playing MH4 on it is a thing of beauty.

ilium

I am weak

But I need to hunt

The urge to hunt and gather is deeply ingrained in our human psych so don't worry about it too much ;)

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So quick question about frenzied monsters.

This is something that didn't occur to me until recently but do any stats change on a frenzied monster besides behavior and having the ability to do the frenzy blight?

Do they get more health / more resistances / do more damage?

Because I noticed last night most frenzied monsters die at about the same pace their regular counter parts do. But obviously their biggest defense is that they are more aggressive therefore harder to hit. Also some of them seem to have a thicker hide when enraged and frenzied. I've had bounces on frenzied zinogre i never did during regular zinogre.

So to what extent does frenzy affect monsters really?

Hedge

So does it feel much different than MH3U?
I stopped playing when I reached high rank, since I couldn't come to terms with the wonky camera and odd controls.

I have considered getting a CCP and MH4U, but if it feels too much like MH3U, I'm not sure it's worth it.

I did play a lot of MH3 on my computer with my PS3 controller, though. That was amazing.

ItionalC

Neo Member
I haven't had cramps by playing, but it sure hurt my hand a lot more than any other game I've played on the 3DS for a long amount of time. My marathon (12-14h, can't remember exactly) made me want to put my hands on ice after a while.

I'm using the CPP on an OG 3DS.

Same here, using the CPP on an normal 3DS, just bought it, it feels so good on my hands and no more cramps.

Anyone that used a CPP and now has a N3DS that could tell me how does it feels? in terms of comfortable. I want a N3DS but I don't know if I'll get hand cramps for playing in it. I just want the comfiest experience.

Nicko

Hey MH GAF,

I'm wondering if anyone could recommend any good sites/blogs dedicated to MH news, equipment breakdowns, monster spotlights, etc. I'm hooked on MH 4U, and keep coming back to this dang forum looking for cool stuff to read while on breaks at work. Just looking for some more outlets.

Cheers and hunt on!

Nicko

Hey MH GAF,

I'm wondering if anyone could recommend any good sites/blogs dedicated to MH news, equipment breakdowns, monster spotlights, etc. I'm hooked on MH 4U, and keep coming back to this dang forum looking for cool stuff to read while on breaks at work. Just looking for some more outlets.

Cheers and hunt on!

Nicko

Check out Kiranico's page. It doesn't have anything in the way of news, but it has armors, a set builder, weapon trees, monster weaknesses, etc.
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u

KHlover

Banned
So quick question about frenzied monsters.

This is something that didn't occur to me until recently but do any stats change on a frenzied monster besides behavior and having the ability to do the frenzy blight?

Do they get more health / more resistances / do more damage?

Because I noticed last night most frenzied monsters die at about the same pace their regular counter parts do. But obviously their biggest defense is that they are more aggressive therefore harder to hit. Also some of them seem to have a thicker hide when enraged and frenzied. I've had bounces on frenzied zinogre i never did during regular zinogre.

So to what extent does frenzy affect monsters really?
Kiranico lists all stat changes in frenzy mode ;)

EDIT: beaten

bobohoro

I also learned that my stupid support cat has a talent for putting shock traps in the worst places ever. He practically spams them though, I've seen him drop 2 in a fairly short window. I don't normally play with cats when using GS or hammer, but I kept them around to level them up (for later bowgun use) and they are really powerful in this game.

Yeah cats are pretty good, even at offense. Got 5 attackers set to first string and my main cat can now two or three shot small monsters and they are pretty handy for breaking stuff too, especially with the mini-tank special. And having two healing cats with you is very useful against stuff like pink rathian and rathalos, where a poison tailswipe combo can cost you dearly.

I still don't have any quests to upgrade my sunsnug island. I already have to delete new palicos, when can I get more slots for it?

Netto-kun

42-5417-1969-8969

One free spot!

Cerity

I don't know why or how but I seem to have rustshards coming out the ass. LR gathering quest and I managed to get 9 of them.

I'm just looking for firestones .-.

Got completed my Velocidrome armor set, time to go through low rank and village stuff using my Seltas hammer and the Tetsu GS. Hopefully, I can gem in Attack up Medium and Autotracker somehow with the armor set I have. That would be nice.

Quick question about breakable items on monsters, like king's frill or tetsucabra tusks. If I break the item, does it drop there where I broke it, or does it become part of the carve when you eventually kill the monster?

I ask because I definitely broke a Tetsucabra Tusk, I saw it break, but then I didn't get it from the carve. I didn't notice anything shiny in the area where I broke it either... where is it?

Kinsei

Banned
Beating Monoblos doesn't let you pull out the sword in the stone. Aww man, that would have been an awesome reference.

Quick question about breakable items on monsters, like king's frill or tetsucabra tusks. If I break the item, does it drop there where I broke it, or does it become part of the carve when you eventually kill the monster?

I ask because I definitely broke a Tetsucabra Tusk, I saw it break, but then I didn't get it from the carve. I didn't notice anything shiny in the area where I broke it either... where is it?

Neither. They get given to you in the rewards screen at the end of the quest. The exception to this is tails which you carve after cutting them off.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

When you break a part it has a %chance to appear in the rewards window at the end of the quest.

If you finish a quest without breaking a great jaggi's face there is no chance for a frill to appear in that widow. If you did, then there is a 65% chance for the frill to appear in that window.

There are some parts that can be carved as well as rewarded from broken stuff, everything varies from monster to monster really.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
whoever joshbob is, i just wanted to ask if you only needed the hr3 urgent, but you left too fast :)

DooD1234

Anyone have a guide I can look for Insect glaive and charge blade? Monster hunter doesn't do a good job of explaining mechanics in game and I like to make sure I understand what the weapon can potentially do like I have no idea what charge blade AED thing is in the weapon control list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom