• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raide

Wooooo. Boat attack survived! Now on a nice island. Think I will call it quits for tonight and start hunter tomorrow after work.

Welp, I tried taking out Gore in an expedition to try and unlock him for a guild quest but the coward ran away. However, he did leave me a plate so yeah... didn't see that coming. That is his rare right?

bobohoro

I remember most of the island upgrades came from villager requests from that wycoon guy.

Yeah, as it always is, one quest afterwards I had the order to upgrade given. ;)

Fought my first solo Zinogre in MH4U and was pretty rusty, got completely overwhelmed at the start and stumbled from corner to corner. After being a punching bag for 2 minutes, I finally found my footing and proceeded to totally demolish the poor thing, breaking its horns and cutting its tail, finishing it off with a nice charge blade blast to the face. Still one of the most fun monsters to fight.

Now I should farm some Rathian to upgrade my CB, maybe get another base one for the Rathalos line as well.

Uggh twice now I've gotten a "The Game card has been removed, please press the Home button" today. I'm not sure why; my game card is fully in place and my 3DS XL isn't all that old.

First time I was just doing a gathering mission so not a big deal, but I was mid battle with Khuzu or whatever that Gigginox + Qurupeco hellspawn's name is. Almost done too as it was limping away.

feeeellsss

When viewing a quest in progress, is the counter that keeps track of your inventory broken? For example, I made a rare steak but when looking in the quest menu, it still says 0/1. Same thing when turning in the steak. It said 0/1. Went on to the next quest about potions. Main quest said 0/1 super potions even if I had one created. However, the subquest counter seemed to update correctly.

I hope that makes sense.

When viewing a quest in progress, is the counter that keeps track of your inventory broken? For example, I made a rare steak but when looking in the quest menu, it still says 0/1. Same thing when turning in the steak. It said 0/1. Went on to the next quest about potions. Main quest said 0/1 super potions even if I had one created. However, the subquest counter seemed to update correctly.

I hope that makes sense.

Hm. And you made the exact required items (Well-Done Steak and Mega Potion) and delivered them at the red item box? If so, then it might be. For you. I can't say that I have had the issue. Sorry.

Calen

I hope that makes sense.

I thought it was broken too, then figured out that the number in the quest info only counts the items you've already turned in at the red box. This seems much less useful than counting how many you've found; that said, it's not all *that* annoying for me to have to open my inventory and look at how many crisp basilisk urethra I've collected already.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I was going to buy this game last Friday, but couldn't find the New 3DS so decided to hold off till I got the system...

Now I can't find this game anywhere. Such a dumb idea. How big is it to download? I'll be using the 4G SD card on the New 3DS, how much space of that will it take up?

Fandangox

I was going to buy this game last Friday, but couldn't find the New 3DS so decided to hold off till I got the system...

Now I can't find this game anywhere. Such a dumb idea. How big is it to download? I'll be using the 4G SD card on the New 3DS, how much space of that will it take up?

Game is like 21000 blocks.

R0ckman

Welp, I tried taking out Gore in an expedition to try and unlock him for a guild quest but the coward ran away. However, he did leave me a plate so yeah... didn't see that coming. That is his rare right?

No matter who I kill I always end up with piles of monsters that you only meet in the expedition mode.

Pejo

Sorry if this has been asked a bunch of times, I've browsed through 20+ pages and searched and didn't find anything.

How do guild quests work? I know you can get them supposedly through streetpass but that's not going to happen where I live. I haven't gotten any in game yet. I guess from the few tidbits I picked up, you do expeditions, and once you kill a monster there, it unlocks a guild quest or something? I've only done 2 expeditions because I've never dropped below like 5000 points and didn't see the point of them. I think they were both mandated story expeditions and I never got a quest opened, which is curious. I would have liked to be able to farm Velocidrome for his armor back when I was first starting out.

Is anyone experiencing random disconnects during local play? Was just fighting Gore Magala with a friend and it was the worst timing possible.

Nachos

20,809 blocks (2.54 GB)

Not that bad, I guss, although perhaps I won't have room for the DLC....

Might hold off till I can find it in stock.

FWIW you can get micro SD cards really cheap these days. I got a 32GB at Best Buy when I picked up my N3DS for less than $20, and swapped out immediately. Should tide me over for a while, even with the announcement that Xenoblade is going to be over 3GB. It's rare for 3DS games to be bigger than 2.

5ilDWDi.jpg

holy hsit holy shit holy sht

Today the New 3DS has finally arrived here in Brazil, I had to RUN to the stores to grab mine. I can't believe I'm about to start the new Monster Hunter. I'll probably cry.

Watch me hit G Rank by tomorrow, a mess.

THE HUNTING SEASON BEGINS! sdgjksdghdkfjghsdfjkgh
pZUehYu.png

Juraash

So question for IG users. Is the Gore one considered decent? IG seems the most appealing of the newer weapons and I'd like to add something really different to my GS/LS/Bow line up. I have enough mats leftover to craft it now and it seems like an good, or at least interesting way to use them.

So question for IG users. Is the Gore one considered decent? IG seems the most appealing of the newer weapons and I'd like to add something really different to my GS/LS/Bow line up. I have enough mats leftover to craft it now and it seems like an good, or at least interesting way to use them.
Yes, its decent. But prepare to make a new one later on (high/G rank) and level your Kinsect properly.

Afrodium

Banned
This is my first Monster Hunter and I'm playing mainly with some college buddies who have played previous games. I have a couple questions:

1) Can I never touch the main campaign and exclusively play quests from the Guild Hall with my friends? Are is there a certain point in the story I should play up to in order to unlock certain elements of the game? My friends have played absolutely no single player and don't even have Palicos yet.

2) Should I focus on upgrading one weapon exclusively or should I be upgrading multiple at once? It's enough of a grind to upgrade my Switch Axe as it is, so I feel like upgrading two or three at once would be a drag. At a certain point will I just have enough excess resources to upgrade a different weapon type at least a few levels with minimal grinding?

Juraash

Yes, its decent. But prepare to make a new one later on (high/G rank) and level your Kinsect properly.

Thats to be expected, but if it's decent enough to take the weapon for a spin I'll make it and try it out. The Kinsect stuff seems weird to me, but I'm sure I can figure it out or find a guide that brings me up to speed.

DooD1234

I just had the funniest monster encounter ever and I wasn't even hunting.

I was just minding my own business fishing then all of a sudden my screen shake and I heard a sound effect like something just came out of the ground. I sighed since I wasn't exactly in a hunting mood and I slowly turned my camera around slowly. There was fucking Tetsucabra literally breathing down my character neck just breathing and looking at me. Once I turned my character around he then roared and then I proceed to kill him.

It was kinda funny to me since that moment just kind of happen like a cartoon.

rpmurphy

Anyone up for canteen quests?
47-1158-5991-7911

Looking for people to do Hunter's Heaven (HR3 Tigrex/Zinogre), Advanced: Purge and Binge (HR2 Tetsucabra/Zamtrios), and Apes of Wrath (HR4 Kecha/E.Congalala).

Cerity

1) Can I never touch the main campaign and exclusively play quests from the Guild Hall with my friends? Are is there a certain point in the story I should play up to in order to unlock certain elements of the game? My friends have played absolutely no single player and don't even have Palicos yet.

Yep, you can play the entirety of the guild quests without touching anything from the single player. The things that you can unlock in SP make things more convenient in the long run.

2) Should I focus on upgrading one weapon exclusively or should I be upgrading multiple at once? It's enough of a grind to upgrade my Switch Axe as it is, so I feel like upgrading two or three at once would be a drag. At a certain point will I just have enough excess resources to upgrade a different weapon type at least a few levels with minimal grinding?

It's definitely easier to stick to one, but if you're enjoying the game anyway there's nothing stopping you from juggling more than one. I usually wait until I get a fair bit into the game before branching out into other weapons, that way it's easier to upgrade those weapons and you can help out people at lower ranks while learning the weapon at the same time.

This is my first Monster Hunter and I'm playing mainly with some college buddies who have played previous games. I have a couple questions:

1) I haven't started the game yet, but I think you have to play solo to unlock stuff like the farm, palicoes, etc. From my experience in MH3U, the solo campaign can also net you some exclusive items and equips. But honestly, you can keep playing multi right now, get yourself some powerful equips, experience, and then you will breeze through the single player campaign (monsters are easier).

2) For now, you can focus on one weapon. And yes, after some time you will have tons of scales and shit, you might have to grind for a rare drop (plate, ruby, gem, etc), but you will have most of the others materials ready, just waiting to be used.

Anyone else find they sheathe the charge blade a lot? I'm finding that especially when I'm in axe mode, I'll sheathe my weapon to move faster, ignoring the transform back into sword. I also love to use the draw attack into axe.

Also, is learning guard point really all that useful, or is just avoiding the monster better? Right now I dodge mainly, since I'm never in a good position to guard point and I never really make one for myself. This kind of ties back into the sheathing thing, since I rather sheath and run than try blocking, which needless to say has gotten me killed a few times.

Anyone else find they sheathe the charge blade a lot? I'm finding that especially when I'm in axe mode, I'll sheathe my weapon to move faster, ignoring the transform back into sword. I also love to use the draw attack into axe.

Also, is learning guard point really all that useful, or is just avoiding the monster better? Right now I dodge mainly, since I'm never in a good position to guard point and I never really make one for myself. This kind of ties back into the sheathing thing, since I rather sheath and run than try blocking, which needless to say has gotten me killed a few times.

Learning when to sheath and unsheath is a key component. I use a switch axe so theres no real fast way for me to move with my weapon out so I'm constantly sheathing and unsheathing.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I felt a bit bad about how this Congalala ended up. Although maybe he would have wanted it that way; It seems like a very Congalala way to go.

B-QAWC6IMAAkC5I.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom