• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuffy

as far as i understand it, the c-nub is not a "stick". it's more of a pressure pad which senses pressure around the edges.
It's basically a TrackPoint. It's very stiff but highly sensitive so that it doesn't take a lot of pressure to move the camera around. I find it works well enough that I've taken camera rotation off the triggers and rely on it entirely now.

I suppose this is as good a place as any to ask this:

Is it worth going back to the older Monster Hunter games after playing 4? I'm going through it now but I feel like I've missed out on a lot. Specifically I'm eyeing Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD.

For Freedom Unite, there's a lot of talk about how much better it is than 3. I have it on Vita due to PS+ and could play it there with a 2nd analog.

For Portable 3rd HD, I played through the most of the single player quests of MH3U (30ish hours) but stopped on an underwater trapping cause I really hated the underwater stuff. MHP3 is 3 without the water which sounds really nice, plus it seems to have a nice remix of the quests with plenty of monsters. Also people say its fairly easy which I think I might prefer since I like to solo. And I can play it with the translation patch in PPSSPP just by getting and dumping the PS3 version, which seems really neat.

Also what about gen 1? Is there anything there that isn't in MHFU?

Kinsei

Banned

Is it worth going back to the older Monster Hunter games after playing 4? I'm going through it now but I feel like I've missed out on a lot. Specifically I'm eyeing Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD.

For Freedom Unite, there's a lot of talk about how much better it is than 3. I have it on Vita due to PS+ and could play it there with a 2nd analog.

For Portable 3rd HD, I played through the most of the single player quests of MH3U (30ish hours) but stopped on an underwater trapping cause I really hated the underwater stuff. MHP3 is 3 without the water which sounds really nice, plus it seems to have a nice remix of the quests with plenty of monsters. Also people say its fairly easy which I think I might prefer since I like to solo. And I can play it with the translation patch in PPSSPP just by getting and dumping the PS3 version, which seems really neat.

Gen 1 is useless at this point.
MHFU is still totally worth playing.
MHP3rd is okay. It's like 3U but missing a ton of content. On the bright side you'd be able to fight Amatsu who so far is only in that game.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

Give freedom unite a shot but it's going to enrage you after playing 4, a lot of weapons are going to be missing moves you're used to, the monster hit boxes are FUCKED UP and they do massive damage for just knicking you. There is a strong chance you'll get triple carted by the bulldrome. Also no lock on, so if you're really used to your lock on cam then that's gonna be a bummer.

It's a wonderful monhun game with a TON of content, but honestly monster hunter is one of those series where it's hard to go back to previous ones after a certain point.

portable 3rd is probably my least favorite monster hunter, it's very short? It's lacking in G rank content which always makes the game feel like it's missing something at the end.

Honestly if you ask me there are 3 monster hunter games worth playing.

Freedom Unite, MH3U and MH4U.

I know I just said MHFU has a lot of jank but it's got SOOO MUCHHH STUFF! Some really incredible fights in that game.

Neku054

Neo Member
as far as i understand it, the c-nub is not a "stick". it's more of a pressure pad which senses pressure around the edges.

It's basically a TrackPoint. It's very stiff but highly sensitive so that it doesn't take a lot of pressure to move the camera around. I find it works well enough that I've taken camera rotation off the triggers and rely on it entirely now.

I absolutely agree with you both in that its a nub but the "Official" name of it is the C-Stick

BooJoh

It took almost a week, but I finally got a response back from Support about the theme.

My email:
Hi,
I just purchased the Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate edition New 3DS XL system. Since it came with a digital copy of Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, shouldn't I be eligible to receive the free Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: Gore Magala & Seregios Home Theme? Unfortunately, when I check my eShop history, there's no receipt for Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, so I can't get a download code there, and the theme doesn't appear to be on the Theme Shop right now, so I can't even buy it. As a big Monster Hunter fan, this is pretty disappointing.

Their response:
Hello,
Thanks for writing. I would first like to apologize for the excessive delay in our response time; we've been receiving an uncommonly high number of emails recently.
Regarding your email, it's understandable you would be disappointed you did not get the free Monster Hunter Theme. I know this isn't the answer you were hoping to hear; however, although purchases made in the Nintendo eShop qualify for the free theme, the Monster Hunter 4 Bundle does not qualify for this promotion even though it is downloaded from the Nintendo eShop.
That said, I will be sure to forward your interest in having this theme available to the appropriate departments here at the company. That way your feedback will be heard.
Thanks again for writing. We appreciate hearing what our fans are looking for.

So yeah, disappointed. The biggest letdown of this particular situation for me is that NA doesn't even have a single MH theme up on the theme shop, and I would happily purchase all three (I especially like the Hunter's Seal theme,) but instead all we got in the theme shop this week is an Ice Climber theme.

deim0s

Sure why not? I'd prefer to play it in release order so that you'd the progression of the series.

MHF1 is too clunky nowadays - but if you want to experience getting dog piled by Bullfangos go ahead.

MHFU is the best one, the classic monsters (that are re-invigorated in MH4U) and has very long legs - old maps from F1 and F2, introduction of Narga, Yama, etc. Very memorable to me from the JP release is the Jump Teostra quest, hits like a truck and very, very, fun in groups.

P3rd for me is they improved the graphics/bloom on the PSP, fixed some of the hit-boxes and Alatreon/Amatsu.

Busaiku

Ugh, I hate Nintendo's stupid decision to change the Stylus position in New 3DS XL...
Makes locking on in this so annoying (I don't like fingerprints on the screen).

Cerity

ugh, that was annoying nerscylla HR fight, gypceros was the invading monster. Nerscylla zipping around everywhere but I also had to deal with gypceros flashing everything :(

bringing dung bombs next time.

Basarios - how do I fight him again? He was an urgent quest, and now I can't fight him anymore. Where is that stinker at? I need a second Grenade Launcher so that I can get the Rathling Gun.

Kinsei

Banned
Basarios - how do I fight him again? He was an urgent quest, and now I can't fight him anymore. Where is that stinker at? I need a second Grenade Launcher so that I can get the Rathling Gun.

Now the only way you can fight it is to go on expeditions and hoping it appears/you get a guild quest for one.

Beats

Nope. Quests have a finite amount of big monsters, so once you kill it you're all clear.

Thanks.

I just did that three egg delivery quest with Rathalos and Rathian. Delivering that last egg was so stressful lol. Luckily I had Felyne Lander, Supercat and that one other food skill.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Fucking hell, I was kicking Shagaru Magula's ass, and then a combo of attacks carted me once and then he became fucking impossible because with the default health bar his attacks take off like 2/3rds of my health each

I'll never understand why food buffs go away when you faint. If you've fainted, chances are you aren't doing so well, the last thing you need is to go back into battle weaker

Prototype

Dont got back to freedom unite that game is so bad.
Agreed. I think it's terrible. Sure it's got a lot of content but that's about it. Lots of nostalgia goggles and rose titled memories if you ask me. The mechanics of 2nd Gen feel so outdated when going back it's not even funny.

Since 4 has come out really the only version to go back to would be 3u. if any.

Edit.
Fucking hell, I was kicking Shagaru Magula's ass, and then a combo of attacks carted me once and then he became fucking impossible because with the default health bar his attacks take off like 2/3rds of my health each

I'll never understand why food buffs go away when you faint. If you've fainted, chances are you aren't doing so well, the last thing you need is to go back into battle weaker
Maybe it's time to upgrade your armor?

melos

Looking for some help with the Rathian's Wrath Urgent Quest to get to HR 5. Any help greatly appreciated!

03-6593-8084-2250

Felyne Foodie will prevent that. Also why it's good to carry Max Potions/Ancient Potion/Nutrients/Mega Nutrients just in case.

Teknoman

Dont forget to customize your autochat and other chat messages.

Anyone going to be doing HR1-HR2 stuff? Or even want to do some guild quests like Yian Kut Ku?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Someone explain to me how those flares he drops are not, in every way shape and form, utter bullshit. They last just slightly longer than my main attack animation, which means if I'm in an X-X combo and one pops up next to me there is literally nothing I can do to avoid it

Should I upgrade to the Kaiser Blade or Guardsqual Charge Blade? Seems I won't be able to upgrade either until High Rank so trying to decide which will last me better till then.

Exuro

Just legit fought Gore Magala for the first time. It was extremely rough. When he has his feeler things out he's like super saiyan, almost getting one shot each time I was getting hit. After a while I finally started to get the gist and only had 1 pot left before I captured him.

Whats the best low rank armor for charge blade? I'm feeling pretty squishy with my starter gear.

Raxus

Ok, I am at gore (5 star) and I need a new bow. Any recommendations or should I wait until I clear him?

Also, I am still HR1...really got to fix that.

Cerity

Should I upgrade to the Kaiser Blade or Guardsqual Charge Blade? Seems I won't be able to upgrade either until High Rank so trying to decide which will last me better till then.

Just make them all, you're not running on a shortage of mats with CB tbh. Kaiser Blade and the Guardsqual did me plenty well until HR.

And I only really used the Guardsqual on Gravios.

Ugh, I hate Nintendo's stupid decision to change the Stylus position in New 3DS XL...
Makes locking on in this so annoying (I don't like fingerprints on the screen).

You can change the options for the circle pad pro buttons. Type 4 gives you lock-on on ZR and chat on ZL

Kensuke

Saw a guy today with a talisman that gave him Honed Blade and Ferocity. Obviously such a talisman doesn't exist in the real game. Sigh, why do I even try open lobbies anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom