• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airan

All these years and they still haven't added the ability to dismantle traps. Even if it's simply plonk another one down and the previous trap explodes, it would help so much when a limping monster decides to flee elsewhere, which seems to happen a lot.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I don't mind the trap mechanic. It makes you really cautious about putting down a trap mid fight when you think a monster might flee. It also makes for some great comedic moments when someone puts down a trap and the monster hops over it and then flees. Maybe giving the skill Capture Guru the ability to blow their traps up would be cool though.

Nachos

All these years and they still haven't added the ability to dismantle traps. Even if it's simply plonk another one down and the previous trap explodes, it would help so much when a limping monster decides to flee elsewhere, which seems to happen a lot.
Yeah, that's always a bummer. There have been a few times when I've placed a trap right next to a sleeping monster, it doesn't work for whatever reason, and after trying to bait them towards it, they just run off, forcing me to wait a few minutes before being able to try again.

It would've been nice if that rumor that kicking a trap would destroy it turned out to be true.

Cerity

Anyone else find they sheathe the charge blade a lot? I'm finding that especially when I'm in axe mode, I'll sheathe my weapon to move faster, ignoring the transform back into sword. I also love to use the draw attack into axe.

Also, is learning guard point really all that useful, or is just avoiding the monster better? Right now I dodge mainly, since I'm never in a good position to guard point and I never really make one for myself. This kind of ties back into the sheathing thing, since I rather sheath and run than try blocking, which needless to say has gotten me killed a few times.

I only really sheath when there's too much distance between me and the monster, other than it's blocking or using guard points. Guard points are hella useful, even though I can only really use the one you get from transforming from axe mode to sword mode, they really let you sneak in more attacks and stay in range of the monster.

I'd try for the one where you're transforming from sword to axe but I'll wait until I get to the mono/diablos for that.

burgerdog

Anyone up for HR2? I sunk over 200 hours into 3U and have 20 on this one. I should be more active here and play with some of you guys.

Mupod

Man I was all set to finish the caravan stuff before anything else but I need to do guildhall quests to upgrade my meat.

ibqL9jwvqONMm1.gif

Next stop: some more stupid fishing quests and maybe try and make a bowgun out of snakes.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I killed toucan sam. He was trying to gather precious fruit loops from the jungle for everyone and I just killed him.

I don't mind the trap mechanic. It makes you really cautious about putting down a trap mid fight when you think a monster might flee. It also makes for some great comedic moments when someone puts down a trap and the monster hops over it and then flees. Maybe giving the skill Capture Guru the ability to blow their traps up would be cool though.
Seemed to happen every fight in my 3U days xD

Kinsei

Banned
Can I just say how much I love the Nerscylla charge blade? The thing has natural white sharpness and you can get it at the start of high rank.

For offline, HR6 has a lot more quests than it appears. Keep doing the advanced quests. So far I got Dah'ren Mohran and I just unlocked Kirin.

Learning when to sheath and unsheath is a key component. I use a switch axe so theres no real fast way for me to move with my weapon out so I'm constantly sheathing and unsheathing.

Yeah, That is something I need to think more about, instead of just reacting. Maybe trying out the sheathing skill would be worthwhile for me.

I only really sheath when there's too much distance between me and the monster, other than it's blocking or using guard points. Guard points are hella useful, even though I can only really use the one you get from transforming from axe mode to sword mode, they really let you sneak in more attacks and stay in range of the monster.

I'd try for the one where you're transforming from sword to axe but I'll wait until I get to the mono/diablos for that.

Same here, the only one I've gotten is the axe to sword transformation. I'm always mid action when I could use sword to axe so it doesn't activate in time. In any case, I find myself always too far away, though that may just be because I've recently fought the Rathian, Rathalos and Tigrex.

Having a little trouble with the Basarios 3 star urgent quest. I'm currently using the Defender Charge Blade which is the strongest charge blade I can get at this level and all my attacks are just bouncing off Basarios so I can even hurt him. Anyone know what I can do?

Kinsei

Banned
Having a little trouble with the Basarios 3 star urgent quest. I'm currently using the Defender Charge Blade which is the strongest charge blade I can get at this level and all my attacks are just bouncing off Basarios so I can even hurt him. Anyone know what I can do?

Your attacks do damage when they bounce. Keep hitting his belly until it breaks and then attack the weakpoint that appears.

Your attacks do damage when they bounce. Keep hitting his belly until it breaks and then attack the weakpoint that appears.
So I'm basically stuck with just using the sns mode of CB huh? It's the only thing short enough to reach the underside. I'll keep trying though thanks.

Cerity

So I'm basically stuck with just using the sns mode of CB huh? It's the only thing short enough to reach the underside. I'll keep trying though thanks.

If you're using the CB work on pulling off the charges in axe mode, it'll break the armour on his legs relatively quickly and you'll be able to hit them with green sharpness.

DPS wise, how much am I losing out not using the axe of the charge blade? Stuff like Tigrex I can only ever fit in a counter super burst otherwise I gotta wait for a knock down or use a trap

Kinsei

Banned
DPS wise, how much am I losing out not using the axe of the charge blade? Stuff like Tigrex I can only ever fit in a counter super burst otherwise I gotta wait for a knock down or use a trap

A lot. How long are your solo hunts on average? If you use axe mode everything dies between 5 and 10 minutes.

Cerity

For quick monsters I find transforming to the axe and then back to work well. In the case of tigrex I usually manage to pull that off on it's face and get out relatively unharmed thanks to the guard point. If I catch him from behind after one his charges or spins I'll sneak in the whirly charge before transforming back to a sword.

Tanis

Is there a way to carve or capture the dragonfly type small mobs you see on some maps? They explode into nothing if I kill them.

ilium

Still don't get why I'm Doodle.

i think because the quest lady draws pictures of the monsters you encounter into her book.
as seen in the cutscene after finishing low rank village
i mean, she sometimes says stuff like "tell me everything afterwards, don't spare any details" and i guess she also draws pictures of you fighting said monsters, and that's why she calls you doodle.
that'd be my explanation at least...

no idea about the eyebrows tho ;)

A lot. How long are your solo hunts on average? If you use axe mode everything dies between 5 and 10 minutes.

Slowing down in solo HR but if its stuff that doesn't run around across the map <10 is pretty doable. Should I expect to use the full combo or is it more about getting the finisher in at every opportunity?

Bog

Junior Ace
Anyone using a new 3DS have trouble moving the camera down with the c-stick? I can hit left, right and up just fine, but down sometimes requires a fingernail.

Kinsei

Banned
Slowing down in solo HR but if its stuff that doesn't run around across the map <10 is pretty doable. Should I expect to use the full combo or is it more about getting the finisher in at every opportunity?

It's more about getting in the roundhouse swing as often as possible and if the monster is down or if you know they'll be turning towards you go for the super burst. I only do the ultra burst if I'm sure the thing is going to die from it/within a few hits from it or when my charge is running out.

Neku054

Neo Member
Anyone using a new 3DS have trouble moving the camera down with the c-stick? I can hit left, right and up just fine, but down sometimes requires a fingernail.

I have the same issue here, sometimes it just works but there are times where moving the camera up or down for whatever reason is a hassle. not really sure wether its an issue with me or the game.

Bog

Junior Ace
I have the same issue here, sometimes it just works but there are times where moving the camera up or down for whatever reason is a hassle. not really sure wether its an issue with me or the game.

Yeah. I'm really hoping it's not a n3DS issue.

Neku054

Neo Member
Yeah. I'm really hoping it's not a n3DS issue.

I listened to a Polygon's Quality Control podcast earlier today and one of the 3 guys in the N3DS Episode/Show said the "Correct" way to use the C-Stick/Nub is to push down on it first the move it in the direction you want, though that still gives me varying results with it.

Kinsei

Banned

I had that problem at first but when I started hold the bottom of the c-stick instead of pushing down from the top it works perfectly.

ilium

I listened to a Polygon's Quality Control podcast earlier today and one of the 3 guys in the N3DS Episode/Show said the "Correct" way to use the C-Stick/Nub is to push down on it first the move it in the direction you want, though that still gives me varying results with it.

I had that problem at first but when I started hold the bottom of the c-stick instead of pushing down from the top it works perfectly.

as far as i understand it, the c-nub is not a "stick". it's more of a pressure pad which senses pressure around the edges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom