• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always capture since I find it easier than hunting them, plus we get rarer stuff from capturing too. Too bad we have to make those tranquilizer bombs and they aren't cheap in the long run. (just time-consuming)

I prefer to just bash their heads as many times as possible, less chance for me to fuck something up.

I dunno if it's OP, but Speed-main bugs are comically better than any other option. That's a serious trap for new players and I'm glad I realized that early. If anything holds IG back, it's that you can only really go ham with red+white, otherwise you simply don't have an infinite combo and going in can be risky otherwise.
Yeah, sometimes I feel like it's not even worth it to attack without the buff. I'll TRY to mount just to get the thing to stay still long enough to mark it's face but even that is hard without the support of the red (which makes up for how hard it is to land hits by allowing several more swings).

it is definitely OP if you can get juice reliable. but as I said, getting juice can be really hard with frenzied late game monsters, even with cranked up speed to 150. Especially monsters like savage deviljho, silver rathalos, golden rathian give me a really hard time.
Haven't played beyond the first frenzied monster but I normally like to play chicken when I want a red and the things moving too much. That or I hit the little monsters that wanna stand on the sidelines.

Might be my noob eyes but I really feel like this weapon has even more potential then people give it credit for given how many people disregard the elemental nature of the bugs all together and advocate just going full speed.

Cerity

You'll be wanting to cap them soon enough :p That last part of the hunt from when it starts limping has probably been some of my most tense moments across the franchise. Just hoping it dies before you fail the quest definitely gets your blood pumping.

Pachimari

I'm doing the tutorials and the battles feel so good. I love that the weapons take damage when blocking, and that you can sharpen it again, and that it got weight to it and thus making your movement and attacks slower.

Are there any SnS experts out there? Am I better off upgrading through the Scale Sword path or Plesioth Finspike path for a sleep sword?

Plesioth path does more raw/sleep damage

Scale Sword path maxes out at 30% affinity (0% for Plesioth)

Go for the Spider-Sword. Affinity affects status.

Assault

Just finished off my Regios armor set + Hammer. I'm not sure if I should jump into Guild quests now or clean up the shit ton of Caravan quests I've missed.

Cerity

Forgot how much I loved the crab boss designs in MH. You've got the Daimyo Hermitaur, a hermit crab who decided to pick up the skull of a monoblos and manages to look like a sombrero wearing motherfucker. Then you've got the Shogun Ceanataur who decided to don the skull of a gravios and looks like death charging you with it, shame you can't fight him in this.

Kinsei

Banned
The game is fucking with me. So far I currently have 5 bird wyvern gems, 2 wyvern stones, 1 Monoblos heart, and I had 1 pale steak. Of course the only thing I needed from all of that was the steak. I just know the game is going to fuck me over when it comes to Rathalos rubies (I need 3 of them.).

Any consistent way to break the feelers on Gore's head?

With the charge blade I do this: Mount > axe mode > roundhouse slash > super burst

Kane1345

The game is fucking with me. So far I currently have 5 bird wyvern gems, 2 wyvern stones, 1 Monoblos heart, and I had 1 pale steak. Of course the only thing I needed from all of that was the steak. I just know the game is going to fuck me over when it comes to Rathalos rubies (I need 3 of them.).

With the charge blade I do this: Mount > axe mode > roundhouse slash > super burst

Cheers Kinsei :)

I can tell that getting it's plate is going to be annoying. I need 2 of em. Well at least the drop rate is better than the ruby if not by much :/

This might be a silly question but; is there anyway to message people on your friends list? A chap I used to hunt with in 3u has 4u but I can't arrange a hunt.

NewGame

Banned
How useful to the group is the hunting horn in muiltplayer?
I've been trying to use it in solo play, but it feels like I'm giving up lots of power compared to the hammer.

With HH you want to chain together combos of attacks- it's a very accurate weapon.

Try KOing a monster with it's infinite overhead swing combo

A+FORWARD for advancing strike
X+A NEUTRAL for the retreating strike

The infinate swing for the front of your hunter is just the left and right hooks from X and A.

See if you can find movement patterns that avoid monsters attacks while attacking yourself!

Faiz

I always capture since I find it easier than hunting them, plus we get rarer stuff from capturing too. Too bad we have to make those tranquilizer bombs and they aren't cheap in the long run. (just time-consuming)

Not entirely true. You won't get a Gore plate capturing it, for instance.

Is there any use to letting a Tranq Bomb drop on the ground? In previous games even if you were immobile your hunter would throw the bomb forwards. Did CAPCOM just do this to annoy people or am I missing a new mechanic?

Is there any use to letting a Tranq Bomb drop on the ground? In previous games even if you were immobile your hunter would throw the bomb forwards. Did CAPCOM just do this to annoy people or am I missing a new mechanic?

I think they create a cloud of gas now, so you don't have to hit the monster. I might have just made that up.

Shengar

If you stand still, you will drop the bomb on the ground just like a smoke bomb. If you move the circle pad worward, wou'll throw it like the old way. Regardless what you do, it still create smoke. I think Capcom changed this because there are just unfortunate times where your last tranquil bomb hit small monster instead.

Leezard

It's really useful when you trap a monster that is difficult to hit with a thrown bomb when in a trap.

deoee

I'm currently working on the famous Kut-Ku Armor but I can't build the headpiece nor the feet.

All the wikis do not help, hehe

Can someone explain to me what monsterparts I need to smash to unlock those two pieces?

Thank you

Kinsei

Banned
Anyone knows how I can find all the crossover stuff? Especially the cat costumes.

Go to the cat in your hous, choose DLC, then choose gift to get the super mushrooms needed for the Mario and Luigi outfits. The rest of the crossover stuff hasn;t been released yet.

Kattbuss

Hey guys,

Hopefully you can help me because I feel a bit stuck. Mostly I've been upgrading and forging without a plan up till now but I feel I should start thinking about skills and sets. I know about kiranico and the wiki but all that info is pretty hard to wrap my head around.

This is what I have at the moment, I'm Dual Blades btw.

Dual cleavers+ 182 raw
Ludroth helm lv 1 relic 30 Def
Nerscylla mail lv3 23 Def
Hunters vambraces relic lv2 27 Def
Seltas faulds lv3 25 Def
Rathian greaves lv3 23 Def

I have reached 5-star caravan quests and
HR3 guild quests.

Any tips on which weapon and armor I should aim for at this point would be really appreciated!

Kinsei

Banned
Hey guys,

Hopefully you can help me because I feel a bit stuck. Mostly I've been upgrading and forging without a plan up till now but I feel I should start thinking about skills and sets. I know about kiranico and the wiki but all that info is pretty hard to wrap my head around.

This is what I have at the moment, I'm Dual Blades btw.

Dual cleavers+ 182 raw
Ludroth helm lv 1 relic 30 Def
Nerscylla mail lv3 23 Def
Hunters vambraces relic lv2 27 Def
Seltas faulds lv3 25 Def
Rathian greaves lv3 23 Def

I have reached 5-star caravan quests and
HR3 guild quests.

Any tips on which weapon and armor I should aim for at this point would be really appreciated!

You should really have one set of dual blades for every element. For armor I recommend Rathalos (he's in the 5* caravan quets).

Thanks for all the armor-set advices, will look into them this evening!
I still can't believe that they locked out some monsters behind expedition, smh D:
What? That's ... somehow stupid ... and there are not even online quests for those monsters?

Btw... is it normal that, while hunting in the expedition, the big monster areas always have some annoying "Oh hai hunter, imma tacklin' you to the end of the area with my incredible charge attacks!"-monsters in them?
I'm looking at you, Rhenoplos and Konchu, you annoying pricks!

Kinsei

Banned

What? That's ... somehow stupid ... and there are not even online quests for those monsters?

Btw... is it normal that, while hunting in the expedition, the big monster areas always have some annoying "Oh hai hunter, imma tacklin' you to the end of the area with my incredible charge attacks!"-monsters in them?

There are online quests for them, but they're random. You have to keep doing expeditions hoping you get a guild quest for one of the expedition only monsters.

Shengar

You can do the online....but only when you received their guild quest. Otherwise, like Yian Kut-Ku, aren't available via normal mean in either Caravan or Gathering Hall quest.

Dat Yian Garuga Armor....so good ;__;

Cerity

Once you get the guild quests from the expeditions you can keep on repeating them and the monsters get stronger so not that bad imo.

How do you unlock the harvest tour quests in high rank caravan? Gotta go mining.

Kinsei

Banned
Once you get the guild quests from the expeditions you can keep on repeating them and the monsters get stronger so not that bad imo.

How do you unlock the harvest tour quests in high rank caravan? Gotta go mining.

It is bad if you end up with shitty luck. The only guild quests I currently have are two Velocidrome quests.

Do the quests the pro hunter gives you to unlock the harvest tours.

Shengar

But I heard that you need to level them up to level 31 for it to drop HR materials
I mean, 31 monsters of the same? D:

Cerity

It is bad if you end up with shitty luck. The only guild quests I currently have are two Velocidrome quests.

Do the quests the pro hunter gives you to unlock the harvest tours.

blue ykk hunt it is then.

But I heard that you need to level them up to level 31 for it to drop HR materials

It's not one at a time I don't think and you'll get varying levels. I had a level 1 velocidrome quest which leveled up to 4 after one hunt. I also have a YKK at level 4 and another velocidrome at level 11 which I haven't touched before.

Shengar

Any MMO ever: *laughs*

At least they do not have a cooldown.

Seriously, even the most farmed monster in my 200 hours MH3U playthrough barely break 40 kill/capture count accros LR/HR/GR. This is crazy, smh

It's not one at a time I don't think and you'll get varying levels. I had a level 1 velocidrome quest which leveled up to 4 after one hunt. I also have a YKK at level 4 and another velocidrome at level 11 which I haven't touched before.
Ok, this is better than I expected
Time to search for a Yian Garuga then

Faiz

I honestly don't know if that's true because I haven't spent much time with them and am only just approaching high rank in general, but what I do know is true is all guild quests don't start at level 1. I have several that I haven't even registered yet that begin at level 6. I don't know what the upper limit is on starting level or if there even is one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom