• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilium

am i the only one who hates armor mix-matching and looking like a clown? ._.

i mean, what's the point of having all those awesome designed armor sets when half of them are basically worthless...

rpmurphy

i mean, what's the point of having all those awesome designed armor sets when half of them are basically worthless...
Git gud and then you can wear whatever you want. :p

Kinsei

Banned
did you do the village stuff? In my experience all of the village HR stuff got way harder in MH4U compared to MH3U. those 10* quests are no joke.

I'm on the 8* quests and it's been smooth sailing so far (I'm still in low rank armor). I'm glad to hear the difficulty picks up.

Mupod

What's the point of having all these awesome armor sets and not trying to make the most horrific abomination you can think of?

mharmor6a-1.jpg

I'm hoping to top this one in 4U.

JudgeN

Well I hit the god damn grind wall already I need a Najarala beak and i'm 0/20 so far. This kind of shit is what stops me everytime I play this series.

I'm give it one more day before I break my cart in half and call it a day.

I don't mind looking like a clown, but I love looking stylish whenever possible. I'll use tryhard sets if I'm soloing something bullshitty (e.g., Abyssal Lagiacrus in MH3U) or punching bags like Goldbeard. I tend to use full sets whenever playing with friends because, the way I see it, the game is balanced around 2 players (or 2.5 in this game?), so no group of 3/4 people should ever lose regardless of armor optimization.

Technical question about elemental damage.

Say I'm fighting a Seltas, whose head is "20" weak to fire. I have a Long Sword (Wyvern Blade "Blood") that has 462 attack, 300 fire elemental.
So, I attack a Seltas head with this. Not counting the Seltas defense, what kind of bonus damage will I be doing? Is it, like, 300 * 20% as bonus damage (making it 60)?

(I'm a data guy so this stuff fascinates me. I'd totally make a damage calculator in excel if I had the formulas.)

Kinsei

Banned
Well I hit the god damn grind wall already I need a Najarala beak and i'm 0/20 so far. This kind of shit is what stops me everytime I play this series.

I'm give it one more day before I break my cart in half and call it a day.

Break his beak, do the subquest, end via subquest. It will make the farming go quicker.

Mupod

Technical question about elemental damage.

Say I'm fighting a Seltas, whose head is "20" weak to fire. I have a Long Sword (Wyvern Blade "Blood") that has 462 attack, 300 fire elemental.
So, I attack a Seltas head with this. Not counting the Seltas defense, what kind of bonus damage will I be doing? Is it, like, 300 * 20% as bonus damage?

Yeah, that's how it works. There's also shit to take into account like sharpness and affinity but math is hard, I just hit monsters.

edit: also weapon-specific damage modifiers.

Yeah, that's how it works. There's also shit to take into account like sharpness and affinity but math is hard, I just hit monsters.

Oh yeah, I'm excluding all that other stuff (sharpness, spirit meter, monster defense, etc). Just looking for a basic bonus damage, so I can see it in relation to a standard attack. It seems like some of the early level elemental long swords aren't really worth it if you can get a different one with more Raw, unless the monster is REALLY weak to it.

ugoo18

How are you all going about gathering things like Honey, regardless of the Multiplying guy (Moga is at 3 stars) i feel like i'm always on the edge of running out compared to MH3U and Tri where that was a non issue.

Sooooo I just upgraded to the Plesioth Finspike+... And Zinogre took a nap after literally 15 seconds of combat.

I fucking love this weapon.

JudgeN

Break his beak, do the subquest, end via subquest. It will make the farming go quicker.

I uses hammers by the time I break his back he damn near dead. I guess I can switch to insect weapon and mount all day but fuck this low of drop rate is beyond stupid.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Poor Brachydios she is such a wimp in MH4U.

The slime attacks aren't nearly as threatening and the health pool is absolutely tiny. The frenzied brach quest was so easy compared to frenzied tigrex.

Also does village high rank end at 8 star? Or does village still have no G rank?

R0ckman

did you do the village stuff? In my experience all of the village HR stuff got way harder in MH4U compared to MH3U. those 10* quests are no joke.

I guess it depends on how you play, do people just pile drive through the quests? I take my time, use each quest to grind for materials to upgrade weapons, make new weapons and armor, level up cats, it usually all balances out like regular RPGs where I'm at a decent level throughout the play through because I take my time.

Bone armor. When looking for HH armor always check and see if a set has maestro or enough slots to gem it in.
Thanks! Armor is complicated, should I look to jump for a set that has maestro next or is there a great set that would be better to just use gems for? Was able to make a complete bone set but the defense is a bit low in comparison to other sets.

How are you all going about gathering things like Honey, regardless of the Multiplying guy (Moga is at 3 stars) i feel like i'm always on the edge of running out compared to MH3U and Tri where that was a non issue.

Use the multiply items guy and do the first ever quest for cooking steak. Take the steak with you.

Kinsei

Banned
Poor Brachydios she is such a wimp in MH4U.

The slime attacks aren't nearly as threatening and the health pool is absolutely tiny. The frenzied brach quest was so easy compared to frenzied tigrex.

Also does village high rank end at 8 star? Or does village still have no G rank?

Village ends at 10*. There are a few G rank village quests.

Frenzied Tigrex (and regular Tigrex) is a complete joke. At least Brachy has the new combo's to catch you off guard.

jorgejjvr

I guess it depends on how you play, do people just pile drive through the quests? I take my time, use each quest to grind for materials to upgrade weapons, make new weapons and armor, level up cats, it usually all balances out like regular RPGs where I'm at a decent level throughout the play through because I take my time.

I actually enjoy the opposite. I like a challenge. So I try to face the monsters as I am to see how far I get. Like when I reached high rank in the village I tried some monsters, I took down magala but it was much harder, every attack did ridiculous amount of damage, i was still in low rank armor but still beat him. It was very rewarding. But then of course, a couple of more monsters and I realized I needed new armor and went from there. I guess I create weapons and armor when it is absolutely necessary, its awesome to beat a monster when you are obviously in the disadvantage. But of course there always comes the point where the game tells you, STOP you need that new weapon and armor. And I usually have something ready to make from all my fights .

JimPanzer

I'm on the 8* quests and it's been smooth sailing so far (I'm still in low rank armor). I'm glad to hear the difficulty picks up.

ye was the same to me, there's a huge spike in the 10* quests (at least there was for me lol). problem is with gold rathian and silver rathalos that your weapons bounces off a lot. savage deviljho with its pins is just downright broken anyway.

anyone up to HR7 quests in abut 2 hours? :>

The hammer head hit box is hilariously broken in this game. I'm fairly certain I won't hit heads in MHFU by hammering underneath the monster.

Was it also like this in 3U? I didn't use hammer there since I wanted something different.

wiibomb

Village ends at 10*. There are a few G rank village quests.

Frenzied Tigrex (and regular Tigrex) is a complete joke. At least Brachy has the new combo's to catch you off guard.

you are talking about village quests right? because if you are looking for difficulty, village is not ideal at all

Kinsei

Banned
you are talking about village quests right? because if you are looking for difficulty, village is not ideal at all

Yeah I'm talking about village, but unless they get a ton of new moves I can't see them being any harder. The damage they do doesn't matter if they can't hit you.

I own monster hunter 3 for wii U, but have yet to play it. I also managed to snag monster hunter 4 ultimate collector's edition recently. I hope it isn't too overwhelming to get into.

Mupod

The hammer head hit box is hilariously broken in this game. I'm fairly certain I won't hit heads in MHFU by hammering underneath the monster.

Was it also like this in 3U? I didn't use hammer there since I wanted something different.

Huh? MHFU's hammer hitbox was huge. You could hit heads way above the ground with the side pound, and the golfswing was like a Plesioth on a stick.

It got severely nerfed in Tri, I don't use hammer that much anymore (only used it on Rathalos and Hermitaur so far) so I'm not sure about 4U. I do feel like monsters leave their heads closer to the ground nowadays, but I can't judge until I'm fighting those big G-rank gold crown monsters. The whole fight can change if the head is too high off the ground.

Got a Rathalos plate on my first Rathalos Quest :3 that's 3 Rathian plates, 1 Rathalos, and 1 Gore Magala plate. Also have an earth dragon gem but not sure if that's rare or not?

Nohar

Got a Rathalos plate on my first Rathalos Quest :3 that's 3 Rathian plates, 1 Rathalos, and 1 Gore Magala plate. Also have an earth dragon gem but not sure if that's rare or not?

Earth Dragon gems are supposed to be rare AFAIK.
Got 4 on those on my first Dah'ren Mohran after carving it though.

Why do I see people hating on SnS online? It's so versatile. :l

*eats a mushroom in protest*

because DD > SnS in DPS and that's the only thing that matters.

More defensive options to keep yourself in the fray longer is not as important as spamming A+X in demon mode enough times for your arms to break off.

Mupod

Why do I see people hating on SnS online? It's so versatile. :l

*eats a mushroom in protest*

by online do you mean in-game? Because I've never seen that kind of thing when I played online in past games. If 'online' you mean 'gamefaqs' it's because they are shitheads and always have been.

SnS might have had some issues in Tri where there were like 4 of them and they all sucked, but it's fine in games with a decent selection of gear. You won't win speed run competitions but you'll still kill it faster than a button mashing charge blade user who gets hit constantly.

by online do you mean in-game? Because I've never seen that kind of thing when I played online in past games. If 'online' you mean 'gamefaqs' it's because they are shitheads and always have been.

SnS might have had some issues in Tri where there were like 4 of them and they all sucked, but it's fine in games with a decent selection of gear. You won't win speed run competitions but you'll still kill it faster than a button mashing charge blade user who gets hit constantly.

Not to mention the superior opportunities to use items, such as team mate saving Lifepowders. And traps. And flashes (lol Rathalos).

Mr Rivuz

Is it normal that when using ranged weapons i can only move the aim sight in four directions with the c stick of the new 3ds xl? Only up, down, left or right, no diagonals up/left up/right or down/left down/right...

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Village ends at 10*. There are a few G rank village quests

Lol I think I phrased that question poorly, what I was asking was when village high rank ends and when village G rank starts

You won't win speed run competitions but you'll still kill it faster than a button mashing charge blade user who gets hit constantly.

Stylish bomber SnS users typically hold the fastest kill times. With a SnS hand picked for the fight, an assortment of flash bombs, sonic bombs, barrel bombs, traps and all sorts of other materials you can basically keep a monster totally stun locked while you just murder it.

Santiako

Is it normal that when using ranged weapons i can only move the aim sight in four directions with the c stick of the new 3ds xl? Only up, down, left or right, no diagonals up/left up/right or down/left down/right...

Yeah, camera movement is only four ways in MH (for some reason).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom