• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do I see people hating on SnS online? It's so versatile. :l

*eats a mushroom in protest*
It's very low damage and if you don't have the right one for a fight or don't know how to use it then it's basically worthless. Even a complete idiot with a GS can do a level 3 charge every now and then and get some big damage, SnS doesn't have that luxury. One of my main hunting partners uses SnS and we tear ass together so a respect it plenty, but a lot of random SnS users can end up dead weight very easily.

Well I hit the god damn grind wall already I need a Najarala beak and i'm 0/20 so far. This kind of shit is what stops me everytime I play this series.

I'm give it one more day before I break my cart in half and call it a day.

I just finished farming the Naj high rank set, what weapon are you using to break the face?

Chuckpebble

Technical question about elemental damage.

Say I'm fighting a Seltas, whose head is "20" weak to fire. I have a Long Sword (Wyvern Blade "Blood") that has 462 attack, 300 fire elemental.
So, I attack a Seltas head with this. Not counting the Seltas defense, what kind of bonus damage will I be doing? Is it, like, 300 * 20% as bonus damage (making it 60)?

(I'm a data guy so this stuff fascinates me. I'd totally make a damage calculator in excel if I had the formulas.)

Divide the elemental by 10 then multiply by .2, to get really technical, there's also a multiplier for sharpness.

Sharpness Multipliers
Raw Elem
0.50 0.25 red
0.75 0.50 orange
1.00 0.75 yellow
1.05 1.00 green
1.20 1.06 blue
1.32 1.12 white
1.44 1.20 purple

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
There are people who can live without blocking?
LOL I do love me some lance though :p
by online do you mean in-game? Because I've never seen that kind of thing when I played online in past games. If 'online' you mean 'gamefaqs' it's because they are shitheads and always have been.

SnS might have had some issues in Tri where there were like 4 of them and they all sucked, but it's fine in games with a decent selection of gear. You won't win speed run competitions but you'll still kill it faster than a button mashing charge blade user who gets hit constantly.

A bit of both I've actually been kicked from a few rooms before even starting

It's very low damage and if you don't have the right one for a fight or don't know how to use it then it's basically worthless. Even a complete idiot with a GS can do a level 3 charge every now and then and get some big damage, SnS doesn't have that luxury. One of my main hunting partners uses SnS and we tear ass together so a respect it plenty, but a lot of random SnS users can end up dead weight very easily.

Yeah I have 3 different ones right now :p

For anyone interested, here is a dang good guide on Light Bowgun use:
http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/post/78073627420/mh4-understanding-light-bowgun

Some cool info about damage numbers I didn't know about Rapid Fire shots.
■LBG feature 1: Rapid Fire

Each LBG has a few shots that are designated as ‘rapid fire’ shots (see info pane on weapon). Instead of firing a single shot, you will fire a string of several shots (at the price of only 1 bullet no less!). Each bullet is 30% weaker and it does leave you open longer.

Let’s say your LBG had a Thunder Shot on rapid fire. When you shoot it, 3 consecutive shots will be fired. The time it would take to fire these would be slightly longer than if you shot 2 individually. Since they are 70% their original strength, 3 shots = 210%. This is only slightly higher than 200% if you fired two shots, but you get them all at the price of only 1 shot. What this means is less reloading and more shots overall due to inventory limits, which equates to more damage.

Having LV2 normal on rapid fire is amazing and worth playing with. If you know how to target weak spots properly, being able to shoot several previse shots in a row can be a very powerful thing indeed. It also works really well if your LBG happens to have a status shot on rapid, you’ll be able to inflict status ailments faster and more often.

tuffy

Add the Bonus Shot skill which tacks on another bullet and the damage for a whole barrage really starts to add up.

It's also worth noting that status and explosive shots are rapid-fired at full strength. That means a LBGer can often apply status effects or KOs faster than just about anybody, given a big enough opening.

Add the Bonus Shot skill which tacks on another bullet and the damage for a whole barrage really starts to add up.

It's also worth noting that status and explosive shots are rapid-fired at full strength. That means a LBGer can often apply status effects or KOs faster than just about anybody, given a big enough opening.

Oh yeah. I just got my first Rapid Fire Crag bowgun, and it's a part-breaking, knock-outing MACHINE.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Not to mention the superior opportunities to use items, such as team mate saving Lifepowders. And traps. And flashes (lol Rathalos).

Stylish bomber SnS users typically hold the fastest kill times. With a SnS hand picked for the fight, an assortment of flash bombs, sonic bombs, barrel bombs, traps and all sorts of other materials you can basically keep a monster totally stun locked while you just murder it.

G4tvlEj.jpg

Batman approved class

JimPanzer

I really need to get good at this sort of thing. But it looks so expensiiiiiivvvveeee.
Did not know you could roll dodge the bombs, and never thought of tossing a flash out from between the legs. Glad I saw this video.

I think you need at least evade +1 to dodge through the bomb explosions

I think you need at least evade +1 to dodge through the bomb explosions

I was noticing that he seems to have at least Evade +1, and Speed Setup. What armor is that, looks AWESOME.

Because right now I block too much. It's pretty much my answer to most things, I've gotten bad at dodging haha.

Anura

So, I met a guy with a wide range +13, rapid fire +13, three slot tali and a G chrimson fatty bow. He was G1

Can't possibly be hacked. Nope, no way! Couldn't be!

bobohoro

Wait people actually block? :p

I wouldn't do it with SnS to be honest, but then I have no clue about that weapon in the first place. But CB and the Lances? Definitely. Guard Points with the CB are the best thing ever, I'm planning on building a guard armour around it and taking on anything head-on. Will be fun.

deoee

I need some Kut-Ku ears (3 to go!).

Have 2 Guild Quests for it :)
If you want to help me out:

Friendcode: 4528-0479-8181

Lobby - PIN 3333

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I wouldn't do it with SnS to be honest, but then I have no clue about that weapon in the first place. But CB and the Lances? Definitely. Guard Points with the CB are the best thing ever, I'm planning on building a guard armour around it and taking on anything head-on. Will be fun.

Yeah was referring to SnS. Lance blocking is really good

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

Is there a way to tell where the "weak spots" on the monsters are in-game? Is there any feedback or visual language to look for, or do you pretty much have to look each one up on the internet? That said, where is a good guide for monster weak spots?

Yeah was referring to SnS. Lance blocking is really good

It's awesome for those attacks that you aren't good at dodging, and is especially great when it comes to blocking roars, tremors, and things of that nature. That's it's BEST use, but some people *like me* use it more frequently than others.

Kinsei

Banned
So, I met a guy with a wide range +13, rapid fire +13, three slot tali and a G chrimson fatty bow. He was G1

Can't possibly be hacked. Nope, no way! Couldn't be!

That's why I plan on only playing with gaffers.

Is there a way to tell where the "weak spots" on the monsters are in-game? Is there any feedback or visual language to look for, or do you pretty much have to look each one up on the internet? That said, where is a good guide for monster weak spots?

There will be more blood and a different sound effect when you hit a weak point.

Don't even remember I was playing with but thanks for the games guys, that Tigrex/Zinogre game was hype.

Yeah, good games. I was 965.

Great hunts last night. You too Filth. Made some good progress from HR1 to HR3. The Tigrex/Zingore and Queen Seltas/Seltas fights were awesome. Really like how the Seltas work together and I'm happy to see that Zingore is still a badass. Too bad Nargacuga isn't in this one. Oh well, at least I can still get its armor.

Valus

Can anyone explain how the Hunt-A-Thon quests work in terms of wound rewards? I was doing the High Rank Tetsu hunt-a-thon and killed it six times, breaking its face each time and didn't get a single Tusk+ in the wound box. Only got like, one scale+ or something despite breaking stuff with each kill. I need two for the helmet. :(

Anyone know?

Here is a good guide on "weak spots." The higher the number for the monster part, the weaker it is.
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/monster

For instance, Yian Garuga is a 50 with Water on his back, which is insane.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'm starting to think I should have bought up that ice crystal when the merchant had it.

Shengar

Seriously
Fighting Yian Garuga isn't fun at all. It's like I'm fighting its HR version when it is not.
Seriously those peck attack
All I wanted to say is, that powderstone quest in guild hr3, NEVER AGAIN!

I've done the HR version alone, twice

The money is good though, 100k zenny from that two run with Felyne Explorer since I got useless ancient shard weapon

Coppanuva

So, what monsters drop me a Monster Bone+? I just beat Gore Magala and I got 1 from him, but I need 2 more for the next weapon... hoping something a bit easier drops it (that or I'll have to help a bunch of HR2 and myself with the urgent sometime :p).

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
That Seltas asshole immediately flew out of the area 5 times in a row!

Are you not supposed to immediately chase it, so that it can settle down or something?

Cool! But the charm being used here (Handicraft +5, Attack +14, 2 Slots) will take ages to farm. I wonder if the skill-set is doable with different equipment.

Oh for sure. Even without SB, a good elemental SnS kills fast too. It's smeared off as a beginner weapon, but is actually a pro hunter one.

I'm using the Insect Glaive, but its main draw is the jump/mount attack, and to me that is nothing more but a gimmick. :/

I love shooting the Kinsect though, and the upgrade process is refreshing too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom