• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mupod

I'm a new player currently using a long sword as my main. I now just read on reddit (the survey) about how people dislike playing with other players using the long sword.

How big of an issue is this? I'd rather not annoy people, and it's probably not too late to switch to another main (GS, maybe).

It's never too late to pick up a new weapon. Knowing multiple weapons is always an advantage since some weapons are better against certain monsters than others. Case in point: I was a longsword user for 50+ hours in MHF2 before I tried out hammers. The game immediately went from 'this is ok but too hard' to 'THIS IS AWESOME I AM DEATH INCARNATE'

The Longsword stigma is because of their tendency to trip up players online with their wide sweeping spammy attacks. Learn your moveset, don't mash while hoping the monster will stagger, and understand the range of your attacks.

GS is a tough weapon to handle for a new player, but if you can figure it out you can play pretty much anything. Although you should already understand the basics of draw attacks and sheathing from using your LS. I'd actually recommend trying out hammers first to get a handle on the charge attacks.

It's a fluffy kitten compared to MHFU Tigrex.

Nah, P3rd was the fluffy kitten. This one has some new moves and is more unpredictable. MHFU Tigrex was really easy if you used a GS or hammer and didn't go into the fight with negative dragon resist.

Kane1345

Nah, P3rd was the fluffy kitten. This one has some new moves and is more unpredictable. MHFU Tigrex was really easy if you used a GS or hammer and didn't go into the fight with negative dragon resist.

I used GS on it and it took a while before I felt like I could control that fight. Learning to charge my GS after it charged at me and letting a level 3 go right as it's face came into view after the turn became one of the most satisfying feelings in gaming for me.

Cerity

MHFU tigrex was terrifying until you actually learnt it. After that it was fun playing matador with it.

In this it's like seeing some bushes rustle only to see a cat walk out.

zlCfzTB2NbworzKt3T

Behold, the SpeedSetup/Evasion+1/Evasion Distance lobster of doom.

Hopefully this DOESN'T suck horrifically.

H1PSTER

I GOT MY RATHLOS ARMOUR!

And it's up to 33 defence on every item.

I'm beginning to focus on using the IG too, I love this weapon.

I'm really enjoying this game, I have 70 hours on it so far and for the price I paid (£30) that's more than worth it.

JMPerona

A newbie question: do I need to have everything in my pouch If I want to buy armor or weapons? Does it work fine if I just have the items in the store box instead?

Sane_Man

Can any lovely Gaffers please help me take down Gore Magala on the HR2 urgent quest? I originally tried with randoms and failed and I've tried soloing it the last couple of days but can't quite make it through the enrage section!

Gathering Hall ID: 46-0464-1339-3318
Password: 4321

jorgejjvr

Can any lovely Gaffers please help me take down Gore Magala on the HR2 urgent quest? I originally tried with randoms and failed and I've tried soloing it the last couple of days but can't quite make it through the enrage section!

Gathering Hall ID: 46-0464-1339-3318
Password: 4321

Sure. Currently I'm trying to reach HR5 but I'll gladly take it down for you. However after its dead I'm unsure what I'll do. The ID is 42-0563-8877-5052 and Passcode is 1234

-Alternis

I don't know if I'm allowed to say this, but I'm going to.
If you ever want great advice, come to this thread and stay as far away from the Gamefaqs forums as possible. I just ventured in there to see what people were talking about and every single thread is about "git gud" and "if you were actually good" and "that's because you're not good." No one is allowed to ask low-level questions without being assaulted.

You guys are awesome. Hopefully this community continues, because it's been so much better than my MH3U experience asking for help.

Kinsei

Banned
Aww yeah, I just found out rainbow pigment is back!

If you ever want great advice, come to this thread and stay as far away from the Gamefaqs forums as possible. I just ventured in there to see what people were talking about and every single thread is about "git gud" and "if you were actually good" and "that's because you're not good." No one is allowed to ask low-level questions without being assaulted.

You guys are awesome. Hopefully this community continues, because it's been so much better than my MH3U experience asking for help.

Yeah.

I don't understand why they would actively drive people away... more MonHun fans can only be a good thing. Gitgud is the worst advice that can be given.

You're only sayin that because you have yet to gitgud
leuhkikcskn4ycuht.gif

Nah, this community's been pretty helpful.

R0ckman

I went on and basically criticized the GameFAQ community and they came in and said that its joking, they "aren't elitists" etc. There are a couple of okay people, but for the most part, lol. Just stay on GAF.

Me and my bro got the > HR3 urgent for Gore, but we gonna farm some HR2 monsters for a bit before that if anyone wants to join.

ID: 24-5071-5240-5626

No pass code.

So I hung out with some dudes from a MonHun Facebook meetup group and played some multiplayer with them. One of them insisted that mounting monsters is pointless. He argued that there would be better time spent just wailing on them the way we used to instead of wait for the mounting player to finish his rodeo. What do you think?

So I hung out with some dudes from a MonHun Facebook meetup group and played some multiplayer with them. One of them insisted that mounting monsters is pointless. He argued that there would be better time spent just wailing on them the way we used to instead of wait for the mounting player to finish his rodeo. What do you think?
It's possible he's right if all you want to do is kill the monster. He's probably wrong if you need to break parts for mats.

Infinite

The NYC monster hunter group? And nah I don't agree lol

I'm sure there are situations where he's right, but it's a safe way to do a lot of damage and break monster parts. It may be faster to do it the other way in ideal situations, but mounting seems very easy and safe in comparison.

I went on and basically criticized the GameFAQ community and they came in and said that its joking, they "aren't elitists" etc. There are a couple of okay people, but for the most part, lol. Just stay on GAF.
Lol, they sure do a good job hiding their non-elitistness. I feel bad for the new players going in asking legit questions and just getting slammed.

Dracil

I think it's mixed. You probably shouldn't mount monsters willy nilly because they're great for getting rid of rage mode, and each mount makes it harder to actually mount up when you really need it.

Infinite

I think it's mixed. You probably shouldn't mount monsters willy nilly because they're great for getting rid of rage mode, and each mount makes it harder to actually mount up when you really need it.
I agree with this. Count your mounts like you count your stun.

Fandangox

Depends, its probably more useful in multiplayer, since that's 2-4 people that can attack the downed monster instead of only 1. I remember our group cut a rathalos' tail with a single mount.

If you play the Insect Glaive downing the monster its good to easily target a monster's part and get desired color.

Same with targeting a monster's tail. Also I think successfully mounting a monster and winning the struggle helps break parts.

Exactly this. I'll usually mount it first thing while puerile are still entering the room so it's down by the time everyone is ready to smash it, and this allows me to break a part (I usually target the subquest so we can turn in if we get 2 carts). Then I save the mounts for enrage. I usually mount 2 times, sometimes 3 if the monster enrages often (I'm looking at you, Shagaru).

I've gotten no complaints so far, and I've saved multiple hunts with well-timed mounts.

And yes, the mount itself will often break parts.

AuL, speed sharpen, half stun.
Sounded better to me. But yours is good too.
Forgot about half stun. Both armors have that. Basically the tradeoff is speed sharpen and negative fire resistance for autotracker (with a talisman... detect with just a decoration) and 15 fire res.

You can't really go wrong with either, but I've been hunting with a friend who has been one shotted by B Gravios and severely injured by the Rath family because of the resistance difference.

Kane1345

Monster hunter elitists can be very annoying.

Cerity

Poisoned 3 bhanabra in one go, they all go to die in the little area after the zone transition so I couldn't carve them ಠ_ಠ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom