• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reknoc

God these 6* village quests never end. Soon as you do one the NPC is all ready to give you another and they're all the same "kill 2 frenzied monsters"

Cerity

re: elemental damage

If you look at the damage formula, physical damage applied to the monster depends on which attack you're using. Whereas with elemental damage it's the same regardless of which attack but if the monster has 0 effectiveness against that element you won't be doing any elemental damage whatsoever.

Say we're hitting an LR caravan tetsu on the head with a Royal Claw (SnS, 168 raw/300 water, green sharpness). If you plug it all in you'll deal between 7.5 - 22 physical depending on the attack and you'll be dealing 6 water damage ontop with each hit. So 13.5-28 damage per hit.

In the same situation, using a Ludroth Bone Sword+ (GS, 528 raw/300 water, green). Attacking with a level 3 charge, physical would be 244~ while water damage would be the same. Outside of charging, you'll be doing 80-106.5 physical. 86 - 112.5 with your normal attacks and 250 with a level 3 charge.

Difference here is that, how many more attacks can you get in with the SnS between attacks with the GS? It's going to be a boatload more.

Kinsei

Banned
Anyone know how many multiplayer hunts you have to go on to get VE golden tickets? I just found out you can trade them for Rathalos rubies.

HR Velocidrome has much better skills, IMO.
Mine has Atk up L and autotracker.

This game is so good. Last night I ran Velocidrome Guild Quest 4 times and built my first set! I went from a Derring defense of only 25 to a 65 Velociprey. I threw a few upgrades on and even forged a decoration for Auto-tracker. Awww yeah.

Now that I have a good armor set, what's a good Long Sword for Low Rank?

This game is so good. Last night I ran Velocidrome Guild Quest 4 times and built my first set! I went from a Derring defense of only 25 to a 65 Velociprey. I threw a few upgrades on and even forged a decoration for Auto-tracker. Awww yeah.

Now that I have a good armor set, what's a good Long Sword for Low Rank?

I went through the Expeditions and mined a Battered Weapon that turned into a Rimesword. It has really good raw and a ton of green sharpness up until 5* quests when the other stuff starts catching up.

Do buffs from different sources stack? Like will an attack boost from the kitchen and then taking a mega demondrug make me doubly strong than just having one of them?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Oh, and #TeamVelocidrome for first HR armor. It has fire res, which is critical for certain bastar- err, monsters (B Gravios, P Rath, A Rath...) while Jaggi has negative fire res which can easily lead to one-shots.

Wait, on armor are negative resistances good and positive are bad?

tuffy

Wait, on armor are negative resistances good and positive are bad?
Negative resistances mean you take more damage from attacks of that element. Higher resistances mean you take less. If the resistance is at least 10, the elemental blight (like being caught on fire) is reduced. If the resistance is at least 20, you won't take any blight at all.

Mupod

Do buffs from different sources stack? Like will an attack boost from the kitchen and then taking a mega demondrug make me doubly strong than just having one of them?

the kitchen boost and the demondrug are the same buff, so no. Armor skills, hunting horns, powercharms and might seeds are in their own categories and stack.

Do any "skills" or benefits on armor/weapons actually do anything if they are lower than 10?

Nope. Likewise, if you're at -10 and receiving a negative effect, putting a +1 decoration will negate it entirely.

Bear in mind some skills go up past +10 and get stronger at intervals like +15 and +20, like Attack Up.

ChrisD

Alright guys, 'fess up, what kind of playtime are you at a week in?

Just checked mine and it's at 44:52 in-game. Don't foresee the same kind of play in the near future though. Right now I'm in a position where I do nothing but sit at home through the week while I do job training on the weekend. Made for a lot of free time.

My brother is at 70 hours mah jeez.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
the kitchen boost and the demondrug are the same buff, so no. Armor skills, hunting horns, powercharms and might seeds are in their own categories and stack.

Nope. Likewise, if you're at -10 and receiving a negative effect, putting a +1 decoration will negate it entirely.

Bear in mind some skills go up past +10 and get stronger at intervals like +15 and +20, like Attack Up.

Ok thanks.

This game sure has some pretty crazy systems rules.

Just checked mine and it's at 44:52 in-game. Don't foresee the same kind of play in the near future though. Right now I'm in a position where I do nothing but sit at home through the week while I do job training on the weekend. Made for a lot of free time.

Around 45h. Got the game last friday and worked during hhe week.

Kane1345

53h 20m apparently. That time flew past, didn't even realise!

co1onel

I'm currently at 59 hours. I really need to slow down. I have a friend who is already over 100 hours though, so I don't feel so bad about my time.

Gaz_RB

I'm at 70 hours too.

This is the most addictive game I think I've ever played. It should have a warning label.

Dracil

Anyone know how many multiplayer hunts you have to go on to get VE golden tickets? I just found out you can trade them for Rathalos rubies.

If you have a silver guild card or lower, infinite.

If you have a gold guild card or higher (by finishing 180 unique quests) then it's probably the same formula as MH3U. Which means if you have a Gold to White card it will be 75/(Quest's HRP/2000 * number of players whose guild cards you have registered playing with you). If you have a Black card it will be 100 instead of 75 because you also have Cosmic tickets in your rotation.

So potentially as little as 13 quests as one of the G-rank quests gives like 4000+ HRP, but probably much more.

Tom_Cody

I will check this out. I am currently using the Gunlance and I feel like I am just struggling with the controls at times. Hard to attack, dealing with camera, can't hit enemies, etc. Just need more practice.
ProJared's videos are more of overviews of the games are about. If you want specific weapon help, I would definitely look at Gaijin Hunter's stuff:

http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/post/73582074334/mh4-understanding-gunlance
http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/post/78195467843/3-gunlance-types-3-strategies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcOKIvrWUL0

Mupod

Ok thanks.

This game sure has some pretty crazy systems rules.

I love MH to death but the depth of arcane nonsense can be staggering. They've taken some steps to help over the years, I mean I remember when if you wanted to know what an armor skill did you pretty much had to pull up a FAQ. But there's still a lot to figure out.

Bowguns in particular, gunners are rare for a reason. If you want to play LBG/HBG the game just throws its arms up and says "HERE BE DRAGONS".

Oh boy, the Tigrex.

"EXTREEEEME caution".

Jeez. I think I'll do the other quests first haha.

EDIT: They SERIOUSLY need to revamp the skills and ammo stuff. Seriously. I mained a bow in MH3U and I still feel like I can't ever pick what's a good bow.

Mupod

Are a lot of monsters weak to dragon again?

A general rule is that if it's not reptilian, it's not weak to dragon. There's definitely a lot more crabs, monkeys, and bugs in this game than the last few. Of course, we actually got some real elder dragons now...

oakenhild

I'm a new player currently using a long sword as my main. I now just read on reddit (the survey) about how people dislike playing with other players using the long sword.

How big of an issue is this? I'd rather not annoy people, and it's probably not too late to switch to another main (GS, maybe).

ChrisD

co1onel said:
I have a friend who is already over 100 hours though, so I don't feel so bad about my time.

Man, talk about dedication! That comes out to over ten hours a day :eek:

I'm at 70 hours too.

This is the most addictive game I think I've ever played. It should have a warning label.

That it should!

I think my time would have been a bit higher if not for the hand cramps. Really need to get a good grip or a CPPXL.

Just got the Tigrex quest as well. Was rolling Great Sword for the first time in three years, but am making a Gunner set just to Bow him down. Hate hate HATE Tigrex with melee weapons.

A nightmare in MHFU, I wonder how it is in this version.

"The bane of every hunter" as the lady says. Probably not much better.

So I'm looking ahead at armor, and it LOOKS like the Nargacuga armor and the Shinobi armor are going to be best for the skills that I want, but it seems there isn't a good dodging armor for High Rank. Would I be fine getting the LR Nargacuga armor, and just keeping it through High Rank, assuming I like the skills and upgrade the armor with spheres?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom