• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reknoc

Got my starter high rank gear. The velociprey set since the double hunt makes it easy to get. Managed to slot in psychic and xl attack boost thanks to a +3 attack talisman I had.

Raide

If you don't count the intro, yes. When you leave the lava place.

I am a bow user and failed it over and over. Ended up swapping to dual blades and just mashed attack like crazy and rolled like a loon. Repelled and I moved on. Did not touch the deck weapons.

I am sure in an open zone, the bow will be more useful but in those tight quarters on the ship, I just went with the highest dual blades I could craft and stabbed him quickly.

Qurupeke

That Seltas Queen fight was surely nice. I loved this concept and the fact that she used Seltas to attack. Seltas was kinda annoying but at this point it dies easily with a few hits.

What the hell is with the HR7 quests wrong? After a second Akantor kill all the quests are gone. Even Grim Tidings.
lolmh48lj85.jpg

So dunno how new this is, but Registering an item set is some good stuff.

PSA: Register an item set. Set up items how you like it, and after each mission select that item set. It will put away any crap you got from your last mission, and fill up the items you bring to each to how you like it. Lot quicker than manually putting things away and taking them out.

So dunno how new this is, but Registering an item set is some good stuff.

PSA: Register an item set. Set up items how you like it, and after each mission select that item set. It will put away any crap you got from your last mission, and fill up the items you bring to each to how you like it. Lot quicker than manually putting things away and taking them out.

This is a super nice addition to the game. Also the item box right next to the exit of the village.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I am a bow user and failed it over and over. Ended up swapping to dual blades and just mashed attack like crazy and rolled like a loon. Repelled and I moved on. Did not touch the deck weapons.

I am sure in an open zone, the bow will be more useful but in those tight quarters on the ship, I just went with the highest dual blades I could craft and stabbed him quickly.
I use longsword but it doesn't help, really. I managed to repel it while using 6 potions and 4 mega potions by intentionally jumping off the deck when my health got low so I could restore health in peace in the lower deck. At the start of the fight I stocked up on 10 ballista ammo so I could use a couple of those between the times it was on deck, I figured out how to mount it, which I did 3 times, and hit it with the big drill thing once. Still fainted once because when you can't see you can't dodge correctly and I got stuck in an awkward spot once. I stocked 5 flash bombs but forgot I had them. I wonder if those would work on it.

Anyway yeah, maybe people who have played every monster hunter would enjoy the shakeup but I'm still getting comfortable with the controls so it was super annoying. I much prefer the normal intended mechanics of the game where you can choose to run around and observe behaviors instead of being so close you have to wrestle out of it's claws and dodging a swipe only to be hit in the ass by the tail and then a fireball while you're still getting up from that.

Edit: That fight seriously spoiled the mood. I feel hectic, not excited. I need to listen to chill music and not even talk to villagers right now. I don't want to look at the game.

Mistle

I'm still rather new to MH. Haven't ventured online yet, just having a good time offline so far. Up to the part with Gore Magala in the expedition, thought haven't yet attempted it.

I just made a full Zamitros armor set, plus a Guardsqual out of remaining Zamitros parts. My question is, how much should I concern myself with elemental effects? I just made this set because it looked awesome, has decent skills when I add/subtract with decorations, and had better defense than my previous set.
The fact that its weak against fire/thunder and strong against water/ice has me a bit concerned though. Once I progress more with the game, do elements really become a big deciding factor on which weapon and armor to use? Or is the damage difference sort of negligible?

I very much enjoy games like MH/PSO, but I've never really enjoyed managing multiple sets of equipment for various elements and such, I feel it can become overwhelming for me personally. It doesn't help that it's not exactly easy to see what elements a monster is strong/weak against, without looking it up afterwards.

I don't know, I just feel like I'm enjoying MH a lot now while it's challenging but fair, but am worried that once I progress further it's just going to become frustratingly hard and I'll quit, haha.

I'm still rather new to MH. Haven't ventured online yet, just having a good time offline so far.

I just made a full Zamitros armor set, plus a Guardsqual out of remaining Zamitros parts. My question is, how much should I concern myself with elemental effects? I just made this set because it looked awesome, has decent skills when I add/subtract with decorations, and had better defense than my previous set.
The fact that its weak against fire/thunder and strong against water/ice has me a bit concerned though. Once I progress more with the game, do elements really become a big deciding factor on which weapon and armor to use? Or is the damage difference sort of negligible?

I very much enjoy games like MH/PSO, but I've never really enjoyed managing multiple sets of equipment for various elements and such, I feel it can become overwhelming for me personally. It doesn't help that it's not exactly easy to see what elements a monster is strong/weak against, without looking it up afterwards.

The damage difference from elemental resistances isn't negligible but it shouldn't be a deciding factor until endgame when you have the luxury of making multiple sets of the same quality. Right now, you're just constantly trying to make the next rank of gear as soon as you can.

Elemental resistances can be the difference between getting one shot by a Pink Rathian projectile (like my -14 fire resistance Seltas armor) and not getting one shot.

Eating for elemental resistance is a decent way to mitigate the negative stats. Felyne Firestarter turned my -14 fire resistance into +3.

I'm still rather new to MH. Haven't ventured online yet, just having a good time offline so far. Up to the part with Gore Magala in the expedition, thought haven't yet attempted it.

I don't know, I just feel like I'm enjoying MH a lot now while it's challenging but fair, but am worried that once I progress further it's just going to become frustratingly hard and I'll quit, haha.
If you're worried about elemental effects, eat food that gives a defense against that element, I *think* it makes your negative into a 0 at the very least so that makes your armor fine.
Eating for elemental resistance is a decent way to mitigate the negative stats. Felyne Firestarter turned my -14 fire resistance into +3.

sounds like I'm not wrong

deoee

This ship battle is unfathomly bad. The game is all about reacting intelligently but there is no way to do that when you can't read any of its moves because it is sitting on your face. Is there some way to make the camera zoom way the fuck out when it jumps on the deck? I can't see shit and it keeps getting me knocked down which then gets me knocked out. It's so bad and uses so many resources that I'm thinking of intentionally losing just so I can quit to retry without watching all the cutscenes. I wish I could tell my palico to load the ballistas instead of prancing around like a dumbass.

When it's on deck and you can't handle it just go a) below deck or b) to the area where you activate the drill .

EZPZ

Already answered, but basically it's a factor more at very high ranks (like top-end High or into G-rank). If you just want to get through the single-player campaign to the credits you'll be fine in almost whatever, so long as you stay on top of upgrades and whatnot.

Venture online though! It's good fun.

Hmmm. I think my router is acting up :(

Try remaking the room.

Mistle

The damage difference from elemental resistances isn't negligible but it shouldn't be a deciding factor until endgame when you have the luxury of making multiple sets of the same quality. Right now, you're just constantly trying to make the next rank of gear as soon as you can.

Elemental resistances can be the difference between getting one shot by a Pink Rathian projectile (like my -14 fire resistance Seltas armor) and not getting one shot.

Thanks for the advice. That's reassuring. If I happen to make it to the endgame, I'm sure I'll be familiar enough with the game finally to tackle the more intricate sides of it. Also, I didn't know you could eat to boost elemental stats. Sounds good!

edit: also thanks SpaceDrake & Owlowiscious. i shall venture online the next time i play!

Dice

When it's on deck and you can't handle it just go a) below deck or b) to the area where you activate the drill .
Where do you go below deck? I feel like I looked all over, but I guess it's hard to do in the dark with a fucking dragon killing you so I might have missed it. Jumping off deck was simple enough and was likely more instant and simpler than trying to get somewhere specific and activate a door. As for going to the higher portion, that barely worked. I had to go that way to mount it and he definitely liked to run over and bite you and shoot fireballs, and with your back against the wall it's easy to get fucked over.

There is no real negotiation time in figuring if you're well in the fight or not, as it was not a slow progression to low health. Either you're fighting perfectly or you just took two hits and that was enough to need to bail out or you'll faint. I had the best armor one can get going into it and that's as good as it was gonna be.

Condom

Where do you go below deck? I feel like I looked all over, but I guess it's hard to do in the dark with a fucking dragon killing you so I might have missed it. Jumping off deck was simple enough and was likely more instant and simpler than trying to get somewhere specific and activate a door. As for going to the higher portion, that barely worked. I had to go that way to mount it and he definitely liked to run over and bite you and shoot fireballs, and with your back against the wall it's easy to get fucked over.

There is no real negotiation time in figuring if you're well in the fight or not, as it was not a slow progression to low health. Either you're fighting perfectly or you just took two hits and that was enough to need to bail out or you'll faint. I had the best armor one can get going into it and that's as good as it was gonna be.
Well yeah it is a hard game. The things before that fight were easy just to let beginners get familiar.

Things like getting combo'd by the monster are part of the game. One way to avoid that is to delay getting up after being hit (wait until he walks away and then get up).

Kyzon

Already answered, but basically it's a factor more at very high ranks (like top-end High or into G-rank). If you just want to get through the single-player campaign to the credits you'll be fine in almost whatever, so long as you stay on top of upgrades and whatnot.

Venture online though! It's good fun.

Try remaking the room.

I can't even get back online. I'll have to try later since the router is in my parent's room.

JimPanzer

holy shit, the two frenzied black gravios quest is intense. managed to beat it on my 2nd attempt, but had no potions left and my hands were shaking like crazy :D

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Is the Gore set even worth getting (low rank)? It doesn't seem much better than the Nerscylla set I'm using now. I like the look of the Nerscylla set a lot more, too.

Also, at what point can you trade for Shogun Ceanataur parts? Kinda want to hold off on upgrading my hammer until I can go that route with it, but it feels like it'll be a lot longer (especially considering the upgrade costs 20,000z).

Cerity

holy shit, the two frenzied black gravios quest is intense. managed to beat it on my 2nd attempt, but had no potions left and my hands were shaking like crazy :D

my hands are shaking even when I'm not playing now :D

Not sure if thats from >45 hours of MH or if it's from the mass amount of pork buns we made the other day though.

Dice

Well yeah it is a hard game. The things before that fight were easy just to let beginners get familiar.

Things like getting combo'd by the monster are part of the game. One way to avoid that is to delay getting up after being hit (wait until he walks away and then get up).
You know you're being a dick, right?

-I admitted I'm new to the game.
-I admitted I'm still getting used to the controls.
-I said I appreciated the usual gameplay design which emphasizes being smart and watchful.
-I said I disliked how this fight threw you in the deep end with super close quarters (and I should add learning how to use two new ship weapons for the first time under duress) and incredibly low visibility.

Was I ever complaining that a game shouldn't be difficult or that it was poorly made or that a monster shouldn't ever do that? No. I said it was a bad fight design because it threw out most of the conventions it had trained you for thus far (even worse for the bow player in here), and that in my personal management and experience of the fight (note the positive attitude, not quitting, succeeding), it wasn't going to magically become "EZPZ" using his simplistic suggestions.

This game is going to draw in a lot of people new to the franchise so you guys should really try to be less condescending.

Can you make another costume set out of the mario and luigi for the cats? I made the mario one with the hammer but then I can't make the luigi one.

Qurupeke

I agree that the first fight on the boat is fairly poorly done and will probably throw off a lot of new players. Even said so on Twitter a few days ago. Hell, I had some trouble with it and I've got hundreds upon hundreds of hours logged in MH.

Weird. I think I finished it in like 5-10 mins. I had a good LS at the point though. Normal Gore Magala is really easy to evade and you just have to land a few hits to complete the quest.

It's a bit complicated that the battle happens in such a small place but I couldn't see this being such an obstacle to new players.

You know, I've never been into Monster Hunter for its story, but I can't help but love how this one was done. I actually like the characters in the caravan. Especially Guildmarm (and after seeing her..."sketches", I love her even more). I can't imagine how they'd make MH5's story differently and have it be better than this.

Cerity

Just did the pink rath caraveen quest, geez not looking forward to fighting it in the guild quests. Carted twice, the first due being caught offguard and positioned badly and the second due to leaving an area to heal/sharpen only come back to get caught in it's charge :/

Time to farm for that rath heart set though, so maybe it'll be better by the time I get to it in the guild quests.

Maiar_m

Help me decide GAF, I can get this game new for 33€ but I don't know whether I'll like it or not :/

I don't have any friends to play it with me, so I'm mostly a solo player. I'm pretty casual when it comes to handheld gaming (like, 2-3 hours sessions in front of the TV). I like adventure games, enjoyed Fantasy Life for its monster tracking and drop and craft...

Should I jump the gun?

Help me decide GAF, I can get this game new for 33€ but I don't know whether I'll like it or not :/

I don't have any friends to play it with me, so I'm mostly a solo player. I'm pretty casual when it comes to handheld gaming (like, 2-3 hours sessions in front of the TV). I like adventure games, enjoyed Fantasy Life for its monster tracking and drop and craft...

Should I jump the gun?

Why not play with GAF? :D

Should I jump the gun?

This isn't an easy game to just jump into. But once it takes hold of you it doesn't let go.
That being said MH4U is the most accessible to newcomers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom