• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still slowly progressing, but also coming to the realisation that Peco is no longer in this game. :( I suppose it's time to retire the GIF my friend made.
VnIuo1o.gif

Shandy

Khezu is... a lot scarier than I remember. First cart. ): I wasn't too concerned going in because, pffft, Khezu. That dude don't scare me. I was severely shaken when I fainted. To the point where I considered that it might happen again. But I ran back and shot it in its stupid face and it died an ignominious death while flailing about.

I will now adorn myself in flabby hides for no reason other than to teach other Khezu a lesson.

Yeesh the frenzied Brute Tigrex mission was rough.

Not only does he hit like a truck but he can pull off some Akuma vortex type shit. Knockdown -> charge -> stay on top of you for the ambigous cross-up -> dizzy -> dead

Qurupeke

People were saying that Tigrex is nerfed compared to the previous games? Because that thing scared me a lot. Powerful attacks and it's pretty fast... Add the constant rage because of the frenzy virus and you have a walking terror...

Oh yeah and the Tigrex jumped from the cliff/edge in area 1 of Sunken/Volcanic Hollow all the way to the exit to area 2 where I was standing.

I got pretty far just in case and then I saw him jump I'm thinking,

"I'll be fine here"
"That hang time tho"
"HOLY SHIT FUCK YOU TIGREX"

Got to the high rank caravan quests tonight. Feels good man. Nearly 40 hours in.

Tomorrow I'll be grinding on Gore for IG upgrades and armor!

Kane1345

Oh yeah and the Tigrex jumped from the cliff/edge in area 1 of Sunken/Volcanic Hollow all the way to the exit to area 2 where I was standing.

I got pretty far just in case and then I saw him jump I'm thinking,

"I'll be fine here"
"That hang time tho"
"HOLY SHIT FUCK YOU TIGREX"

Lol. I imagined this scenario in my head right now and it's all kinds of funny :D

Khezu is... a lot scarier than I remember. First cart. ): I wasn't too concerned going in because, pffft, Khezu. That dude don't scare me. I was severely shaken when I fainted. To the point where I considered that it might happen again. But I ran back and shot it in its stupid face and it died an ignominious death while flailing about.

I will now adorn myself in flabby hides for no reason other than to teach other Khezu a lesson.

I'm a big fan of the new Khezu. Went in with the same tactics I used in MHFU. Nope.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Help me decide GAF, I can get this game new for 33€ but I don't know whether I'll like it or not :/

I don't have any friends to play it with me, so I'm mostly a solo player. I'm pretty casual when it comes to handheld gaming (like, 2-3 hours sessions in front of the TV). I like adventure games, enjoyed Fantasy Life for its monster tracking and drop and craft...

Should I jump the gun?

You need to slay your first Great Jaggi or something before you decide. You've already bought the game, so give it a little bit of time to make sure you're not dropping it prematurely. Try out Sword and Shield or Dual Blades, too. Faster weapons are typically more enticing to brand new players.

ugoo18

Chameleos is hands down the strangest monster fight i've come across from Tri till this.

Also G rank 3 isn't acknowledging completed quests?

I recently did the Chameleos quest with some people but my list doesn't the tick of completion on it.

Faiz

Broken the feelers every time I've fought Gore now but cannot for the life of me cut this fuckers tail off. I've never had this much trouble cutting a tail before!

Broken the feelers every time I've fought Gore now but cannot for the life of me cut this fuckers tail off. I've never had this much trouble cutting a tail before!

My strategy is to always cut the tail off first. Then break the feelers. At that point, it's usually limping. I've never failed to get both. This is for low rank Magala, though.

I don't care what anyone says, Gypceros is THE MOST annoying monster. Yeah, he's just an upgraded YKK but I don't care. He's always spamming that stupid chicken charge while spitting his poison. Makes it damn near impossible to do anything with him.

I don't care what anyone says, Gypceros is THE MOST annoying monster. Yeah, he's just an upgraded YKK but I don't care. He's always spamming that stupid chicken charge while spitting his poison. Makes it damn near impossible to do anything with him.

You know what, I'm going to agree with this. People talk about Khezu or Tigrex or whatever, but Gypceros is my own personal kryptonite. He's got that flash that can ONLY be countered by outranging or by having specific weapons (which I don't main) or breaking his head but good luck getting to it, he's got the poison with multiple spit patterns, and he's got item steal, because fuck you, that's why. He's boring yet over-designed and I can't stand fighting one without a bunch of other players to pick up the inevitable slack. I'd rather fight double Gores than fight a single Gypceros.

Labongi is also a hard time, but I think that's pure a matter of needing practice. :V

I farmed high rank gore for an hour to get one neyctgem and got it in the end through the quest reward (1%)...

Kinda lame you cant keyboard chat in quests. MHTri on Wii let you do it.
Or MH3U on Wii U. That's one reason why it should have been on there too, but capcom is done with Wii U.

Beartruck

I found him pretty manageable actually. Yeah his flash attack stunned me a lot, but he never really capitalized on it. Plus with antidotes the poison is easily manageable. Also his playing dead thing makes it super easy for me to power up my long sword. I might have just been lucky though.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yeah, you need to do so much hit & run with him, also extreme abuse of platform switching and mounting. I'm thinking maybe bringing along a few tools may help, but he was just introduced before you get into using them a lot. How effective are different bombs/traps on him? With the way he does b-line ground charges it should be easy to exploit.

I found him pretty manageable actually. Yeah his flash attack stunned me a lot, but he never really capitalized on it. Plus with antidotes the poison is easily manageable. Also his playing dead thing makes it super easy for me to power up my long sword. I might have just been lucky though.
You can avoid the flash daze if you roll right as he does it.

NewGame

Banned
I fought the g rank urgent Monster.

noideawhatiamdoing.gif

Thing is huge and is really annoying to chase the glowy weak spots around the hills.

demigod

You know what, I'm going to agree with this. People talk about Khezu or Tigrex or whatever, but Gypceros is my own personal kryptonite. He's got that flash that can ONLY be countered by outranging or by having specific weapons (which I don't main) or breaking his head but good luck getting to it, he's got the poison with multiple spit patterns, and he's got item steal, because fuck you, that's why. He's boring yet over-designed and I can't stand fighting one without a bunch of other players to pick up the inevitable slack. I'd rather fight double Gores than fight a single Gypceros.

Labongi is also a hard time, but I think that's pure a matter of needing practice. :V

That flash is bs. I remember in MHFU you can avoid it by looking away from him but in this one you can't.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Since I'm not going to go for the Gore armor set (at least not the LR one), which Gore weapons are good? I main Hammer, but the Gore hammer isn't really all that good from what I can tell. I was thinking that the Gore LBG looked good, but man, I haven't gunned since Freedom Unite. Not sure how good I'd be at it now. Especially since I'm playing on an OG XL without a CPP, so aiming would probably be a pain.

Cerity

You can block the flash if you've got a shield. And if you do get flashed, you can spin your circle pad and mash B to get out of it quicker. It is BS how you can't just turn away or hide behind terrain though. I really wish they'll fix that terrain stuff in the next game, people talk about how outdated a lot of MH's mechanics are but how some monsters and their attacks just pass through rocks and whatnot is what is truly outdated tbh.

Are you fighting him offline? Try that him online. Much worse, I promise.

I have no idea how I'm going to consistently hammer Najarala 's head aside from tripping first. He moves so fast. I love it!

You can get some hits in when he coils around you, he'll often coil twice and then pause to roar two times.

Aside from that, yeah, it's quite difficult to get hits in on his head.

Do you get meownster tickets from playing meownster hunter a lot, or are those rare drops during the minigame? Also, can you still get them if you do it through your housekeeper cat or do you have to play the minigame?

Since I'm not going to go for the Gore armor set (at least not the LR one), which Gore weapons are good?

A lot of the Gore weapons end up being pretty good, actually; their upgraded versions all have insane crit. I'm using the Gore IG and I love it. That said, some of the melee Gore weapons are low on "good" sharpness - the IG, especially post-upgrades, and the Charge Blade are both a lot better about that while remaining critalicious.

That flash is bs. I remember in MHFU you can avoid it by looking away from him but in this one you can't.

That's what annoys me the most - the obvious solution is just to look away, but nope, somehow it blinds you through the back of your head. That it used to be possible and now isn't actually makes me more upset, and it breaks Gypceros' design.

The sad thing is, if looking away DID work it'd be a lot more tolerable - non-block-weapon users would at least have an option aside from frame-perfect rolls (what?) or trying to break the head all the time. But nope, it doesn't and it makes the monster annoying to fight, not fun to.

Gypceros: u mad?

Extremely mad. :mad:

The flash isn't even that bad, its easy enough to mash out of. Its his tendency to chicken charge EVERYWHERE. Especially if he's raged.
And lets not even get into the hit box of that damn tail. I know broken hitboxes is an MH staple (I'll never forget you, Plessy), but COME ON.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It is BS how you can't just turn away or hide behind terrain though. I really wish they'll fix that terrain stuff in the next game, people talk about how outdated a lot of MH's mechanics are but how some monsters and their attacks just pass through rocks and whatnot is what is truly outdated tbh.
Yeah, especially since they can simply turn away from your flash bomb. No physics with their attacks, apparently, just divine light magic.

Fairly certain you couldn't look away in MHFU. I remember I usually try to roll through it. Avoiding the stun would be trivial to do if it worked since he gives you like 3 seconds.

Oregano

Gypceros is annoying but not difficult. I actually had more trouble fighting Yian Kut Ku in my first encounter but both are easy peasy now.

Also just done the grocery shop and got a MH4U streetpass and I'm in the UK. I hope that means it's sold really, really well.

Shengar

That feel when you solo Gathering Hall Azure Rathalos for 43 minutes, carted twice, all potion used, up, and then received ruby, plate, two ancient shard with a worn long sword in one of them
JGQSsHX.png

Reknoc

Gypceros is annoying but not difficult. I actually had more trouble fighting Yian Kut Ku in my first encounter but both are easy peasy now.

Also just done the grocery shop and got a MH4U streetpass and I'm in the UK. I hope that means it's sold really, really well.

I've got around, 10 in the past week or so which is nice, going past a uni on my way to work probably helps. Shame they've all only done like 1 or 2 quests, making their cards pretty uninteresting. :(

PKrockin

Fairly certain you couldn't look away in MHFU. I remember I usually try to roll through it. Avoiding the stun would be trivial to do if it worked since he gives you like 3 seconds.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you couldn't look away to avoid flashes in MHFU. God knows I tried.

Faiz

My strategy is to always cut the tail off first. Then break the feelers. At that point, it's usually limping. I've never failed to get both. This is for low rank Magala, though.

Yeah that's what I did this last time. Still had a hell of a time with the tail: I did get it cut but didn't get feelers.

I'm sure it's an issue of precision and timing - just always feels like his tail is guarded by his hind legs and wings too often and just a slight movement turns an open shot at the tail into a direct hit to wings and/or legs.

I'll get it though!

Faiz

And I don't know about anyone else but he always seems to grab something I'm extremely limited on carrying. Almost always grabs a trap from me. :/

Cerity

Up to Seregios and the game has finally hit the point in SP where the monsters feel intimidating. It's cutscene was baller as hell.

Going to build the CB's that I'm missing instead though, gotta farm an earth dragongem and a pale steak .-.

deim0s

hunter tip: Rathalos/Rathian wants their eggs untouched. Still works.

And I don't know about anyone else but he always seems to grab something I'm extremely limited on carrying. Almost always grabs a trap from me. :/
Is it a shock trap? Then it's doing you a favor.

Oregano

I've got around, 10 in the past week or so which is nice, going past a uni on my way to work probably helps. Shame they've all only done like 1 or 2 quests, making their cards pretty uninteresting. :(

I'll probably get more when I'm bag in work and heading into the City Centre(Manchester) every day. It's surprising how many people have stuff like Etrian Odyssey as their last played game.

Anyway I'm looking to try out Bow for a bit(maybe use it in multiplayer). Is the Scylla Fist 1 decent?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
A lot of the Gore weapons end up being pretty good, actually; their upgraded versions all have insane crit. I'm using the Gore IG and I love it. That said, some of the melee Gore weapons are low on "good" sharpness - the IG, especially post-upgrades, and the Charge Blade are both a lot better about that while remaining critalicious.

Oh yeah, I did notice that the Gore IG looked good, at least. Might end up going for that.

Also, one other thing. I'm actually a bit lost as to which armor set I should start focusing on next. I'm still in the Nerscylla armor and I'm feeling like it's about time for an upgrade, but nothing I have available to me right now looks like any sort of decent improvement. I was thinking about farming up the Mosgharl set since I've already got most of what it requires, but eh, even that doesn't look great (the skills are decent enough, though, and I actually love the design for the female version). The Ceanataur set looks great as always, but I don't know when you get the ability to trade for its parts.

EDIT: Never mind, I'm dumb. Forgot to check the second page of Wycoon's trade stuff. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom