• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Ah shit. Decided to try out Bow and LBG for the first time in a long time. Made a cheap set of Kecha gunner armor and a decent LBG and Bow, and tried them out against Great Jaggi. Shouldn't have done that. Because now I remember how much fun they were and I want to use them more but Blademaster is my focus and aaaaahhhh this is gonna mean so much more grinding if I want to keep both sets up to par with my current HR. :lol

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
While nicer textures and shadows would be nice, the real deal for a n3DS with this game for me is gaining access to Miiverse. Maybe someday they'll release the normal size so I can get in on that.

Anyone feel like farming some HR Tetsucabra? Trying to make a starter HR set.

44-8481-1791-5786

pass: 1258

I'll wait like 5 minutes before going solo again.

Infinite

Any tips for capturing? I'm new to the series so anything will help!
No joke, beat the monsters ass until they start limping. Then once they go to their designated sleeping area put the trap down while they snoozing. Once they get in the trap throw two tranq bombs and it's a done deal

Hattori

Banned
Spider CB is amazing, white sharpness and 3 hit combo charge attack. Coming from GS it's really hard to pass up especially in HR.

ilium

poison. how does it work exactly and is it worth it?
let's talk about it.

so, take emerald congalala for example. ping's dex tells me that poison duration is 60 and damage 300. which i assume means, she takes 300 damage over the course of 60 seconds in total. with a base HP of 4100 in low rank that's not all that bad i guess.
going into high rank we add 2624 HP and end up with ~6700 HP total.
G-Rank adds 4961 HP onto the base HP which gives her a total of ~9000 HP.

so it seems that poison becomes pretty much useless after low rank, unless i am missing something here. (and i hope i am)

does anyone have some more insight into this?

bobohoro

I'm a big fan of the Khezu theme

I agree, at least it's the only one I consciously hear while playing. ;)

OST is great but I'm always way too focused on fighting to enjoy it. And to the people mentioning story, characters and cutscenes on the last few pages: I totally agree and it should be brought up more often. Everything is so well done but still retaining its backseat position to not get in the way of the hunting action. The cutscenes range from hilarious to exciting and even downright intimidating, which really lets a monster shine. And the Guildmarm is strangely endearing, like her totally nutty sisters. They really brought the world and caravan to life with this game, which is a positive I didn't think I would enjoy this much.

poison. how does it work exactly and is it worth it?
let's talk about it.

so, take emerald congalala for example. ping's dex tells me that poison duration is 60 and damage 300. which i assume means, she takes 300 damage over the course of 60 seconds in total. with a base HP of 4100 in low rank that's not all that bad i guess.
going into high rank we add 2624 HP and end up with ~6700 HP total.
G-Rank adds 4961 HP onto the base HP which gives her a total of ~9000 HP.

so it seems that poison becomes pretty much useless after low rank, unless i am missing something here. (and i hope i am)

does anyone have some more insight into this?

It evens out. Higher poison ratings mean that you will apply the poison status more often in higher ranks, which helps since the quests themselves get longer. And it's damage that works while you are busy dodging or healing/sharpening, which will also happen more frequently with more aggressive monsters leaving less openings. I'd say for monsters that are easy to poison, or take big damage from it, it's still a viable strategy, albeit probably not the most efficient one in most cases.

MrPanic

Finished my simple high rank Velociprey armor, got Attack Up L, Autotracker and Half Stun on it with slots to spare so that's alright. Bit worried about its lackluster defence, might still be easy to be wombo combo'd to death by some monsters. Oh well, it's not like I don't like a challenge. Time to start with some real high rank stuff.

ilium

It evens out. Higher poison ratings mean that you will apply the poison status more often in higher ranks, which helps since the quests themselves get longer. And it's damage that works while you are busy dodging or healing/sharpening, which will also happen more frequently with more aggressive monsters leaving less openings. I'd say for monsters that are easy to poison, or take big damage from it, it's still a viable strategy, albeit probably not the most efficient one in most cases.

true, but it still feels a little bit underwhelming to me. i mean, i will always try to poison monsters when doing solo mission, because every little bit damage helps as a bow user, but most monsters only get something like 120 damage over the course of 60 sec or so, and that seems hardly worth it.

KHlover

Banned
Finally forged myself a Longsword again. Played the first 20 hours or so with a Gunlance after exclusively playing MH3U with a Longsword and it was pretty nice, but compared to that I feel like a monster-slaying demigod with my Wyvern-Blade "Blood" and Fireattack+.

I don't know if I actually do more damage, but being able to run in, get a few good hits in, roll out and then hit my Spirit Combo is just so much more FUN :D

Anyone available to help me Capture a Khezu then Hunting Gore Magala for HR3?

ID: 43-5553-3277-5135
Pass: 4321
I'll join

jorgejjvr

So, what are your least favorite monsters? As of late, I've been disliking the Khenzu >.< I'm a charge blade weirder, and I'm not the type to hit once and run. Therefore, I often find myself in a rather long two hit combo (either to charge my blade, or the two hit burst in the axe) only for the Khenzu to hit me with his stationary lighting attack. I hate it XD

How about you guys?

-Alternis

The tigrex/jinouga quest for fish upgrade is no joke...

Specifically, Tigrex's enrage mode is no joke. Holy moly, I thought it'd be fast but that's terrifying.

I still say recreating the opening movie of the game in Heaven 6 is the funniest way of taking him down, though
emot-v.gif

Have you see the first quest for drink upgrade?

Raths all the way down. Not sure how much I dread that

Fandangox

So, what are your least favorite monsters? As of late, I've been disliking the Khenzu >.< I'm a charge blade weirder, and I'm not the type to hit once and run. Therefore, I often find myself in a rather long two hit combo (either to charge my blade, or the two hit burst in the axe) only for the Khenzu to hit me with his stationary lighting attack. I hate it XD

How about you guys?

-Alternis

Probably the Khezu, I use Gunlance so depending on where it is on the map I have to wait for it to come down if I cannot grip from the ceiling. No music doesn't help either.

My new favorite so far is probably Queen Seltas.

K.Sabot

Never a big fan of the Jaggi family of large monsters if you even count them as real monsters.

Great jaggi, velocidrome, gendrome, lodrome

Yeah, adding my vote to the fuck khezu party. Fucking pale shaved ass chicken spends half the time on a wall, comes down, I try to hit it then it either roars or does the stationary electric burst and if you happen to be doing anything when it does that, you're fucked. Even when see it, you're fucked half the time. Fuck khezu to the depths of hell

First thing I'm gonna do when I get a HG earplug set is help people farm low rank khezu and just murder a mountain of those fuckers.

Scher

How about you guys?

-Alternis

Khezu has probably been the least fun of all the fights. It moves at the speed of molasses and so it always feels like the fight is going in slow motion. Every fight I've had with Khezu hasn't been that long, but it feels like it takes forever. I honestly wish they would have brought Gigginox back instead of Khezu.

jorgejjvr

Speaking of Khenzu, can anyone agree that the red subspecies doesn't feel any different at all? Honestly it feels like I'm fighting an alternate costume more than a subspecies. What difference does the red one have?

Clunker

Relative newcomer here: loving this game, even more than MH3U. And Hunting Horn is ridiculously satisfying, even just in single player. I've done a few online plays but mostly stuck to offline.

How far along in the story do you folks think I should go before investing mostly in online? As of now I'm still fairly early; I'm rocking Tetsucabra armor and this awesomely dumb-looking Velocidrome balloon HH (it's a giant goddamned head I'm using to sing and beat monsters with), still in Harth.

Speaking of Khenzu, can anyone agree that the red subspecies doesn't feel any different at all? Honestly it feels like I'm fighting an alternate costume more than a subspecies. What difference does the red one have?

Much more electricity. I'm surprised you didn't notice.

jorgejjvr

Relative newcomer here: loving this game, even more than MH3U. And Hunting Horn is ridiculously satisfying, even just in single player. I've done a few online plays but mostly stuck to offline.

How far along in the story do you folks think I should go before investing mostly in online? As of now I'm still fairly early; I'm rocking Tetsucabra armor and this awesomely dumb-looking Velocidrome balloon HH (it's a giant goddamned head I'm using to sing and beat monsters with), still in Harth.

Honestly I think you should beat the campaign completely through high rank, since it gives you a lot of stuff you'll definitely need for online (specifically G rank) later on.

Fandangox

Najarala's still a bit of a pain. It'll surely get better once I track down a decent pierce shot gun and get its moves down better, but my hunts against it feel too sloppy so far.

I love fighting Najarala, it's huge if a bit easy, escaping out of it when it circles you its funny if you barely manage it. Although sometimes I just wyvern fire it while inside.

jchap

So the Genprey noise is definently saying: "gotta do it again gotta do it again"

On a side note I have now farmed Yian Garuga enough to get what I need.... Now I need high rank Bassarios Tears.... Time to do expeditions I guess

Filth

Hey bros. I bought the new 3ds yesterday and my save file worked transferee no problem but my friend list is wiped. I need to do a system transfer for that?

I complained about farming Rathalos for 2 or 3 hours the other day then earlier I looked for a Rathalos room on a whim. First hunt I got 2 plates then I got rubies back to back

aLc9Vm1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom