• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kane1345

Got 2 rubies on my first pink rathian, and got plates on both my first gore magala and shagaru magala :3

giphy.gif

My luck suckssss

Also, is there a village or gathering hall HR Yian Garuga? I want to make his HR armor but haven't found any quest yet. I got the low rank urgent and he can turn up in expedition, but that's it.

I was thinking about buying this but kept talking myself out of it, but found myself at a Target that actually had a copy left in stock so I figured what the heck and bought it. I played the Wii release of MH3 and enjoyed it but never really got too deep in.

So far I've cleared the first encounter with the Gore Magala and I'm using full Tetsucabra armor and a Lupine Katana long sword. Haven't had much trouble so far defeating monsters, but I do seem to have trouble breaking parts for the sub-objectives. I mount a few times and try my best to hit the part, but can never seem to break it before the monster is killed.

Also, I've been mostly playing the offline story quests, only jumping online to farm the last few monster parts to make armor/weapons. I'm not really sure when I should start working on guild quests to increase my rank.
LS is for slicing off tails, you won't be breaking too much with it.

Also, is there a village or gathering hall HR Yian Garuga? I want to make his HR armor but haven't found any quest yet. I got the low rank urgent and he can turn up in expedition, but that's it.
Expedition is the only way. It's a pain in the ass, I gave up on it after he finally turned up and then ran away right before I could kill him. Ain't no HR armor worth that trouble.

jorgejjvr

Actually, there's a high rank village quest called "Hunting Vicariously" to hunt a high rank Yian Garuga. To unlock it, you need to progress to the story in the Dundoroma (might not be correct spelling) city and when you've progressed enough you need to talk to the lance user who prevents you from going up the stairs because you're not of sufficient skill.

Kinsei

Banned
Jeez, how many monsters are expedition and guild quest only? That's horrible. It'd be okay if Guild Quests didn't level but still =\.

For now it's Basarios, Ruby Basarios, Yian Kut-Ku, Kirin, Oroshi Kirin, and Yian Garuga. Some of them will be made available in DLC quests though.

Actually, there's a high rank village quest called "Hunting Vicariously" to hunt a high rank Yian Garuga. To unlock it, you need to progress to the story in the Dundoroma (might not be correct spelling) city and when you've progressed enough you need to talk to the lance user who prevents you from going up the stairs because you're not of sufficient skill.

That's awesome.

Ah, great, thanks! I'm just up to the monoblos urgent now in the village quests.

Kensuke

Friendly tip for all hunters that want to hunt like a pro: farming stuff at wycoon will make things easier for the whole team. I'm not talking about Mega Potions.

Pitfall traps. Buy hundreds of spider webs from the Wycoon store (his inventory changes after every quest). Replicate Ivy to combine with the spider web for hundreds of nets. Boom, infinite pitfall traps.

Why pitfall traps are amazing:
Everyone uses shock traps to capture monsters, which is fine because they are easy to make, but you should use pitfall traps because of their damage potential. With the right tools you can stunlock monsters while they are half buried! I put one down on a Diablos. Then we quickly stunned him while he was trapped (which makes him stop struggling). Then our gunner KO'd him with craig shots. In the meantime we got enough hits in to get a second paralysis. After that he finally got out of the trap, only to get mounted right away. By the time it was over he was limping away. Use them right at the start of the quest, before the monster is enraged.

Lifepowders
No one online uses lifepowders and it's terrible. Especially because they are so easy to make. Just use the farm to replicate hundreds of Godbugs. That's it. You should have plenty of wyvern fangs and claws.

Why lifepoweders are amazing:
Ever hear someone complain how they couldn't avoid getting killed after getting stunned and them stomped? It's true he couldn't have done anything, but you and your teammates could have. Lifepowders will save lives over and over. They're essential. Carting is terrible not only because you lose a faint, but also because the guy that fainted now has low health/stamina/defense, making a second faint that much more likely.

Extra pro tip: You can also buy stones from the Wycoon. Then replicate sap plants to make infinite tranquilizers.

DooD1234

So after watching Gaijinhunter guide on Insect Glaive, how cow, that weapon feels broken. I rarely have to sheath and it deals so much damage and have such an easy time mounting. Greatest weapon in MH yet. I having a hard time going to other weapons now lol.

For now it's Basarios, Ruby Basarios, Yian Kut-Ku, Kirin, Oroshi Kirin, and Yian Garuga. Some of them will be made available in DLC quests though.

That's awesome.

And there's no way to keep your guildquests from leveling up, right? Like, if I want to farm Basarios in high rank, if I fuck him up enough eventually he'll turn into G-rank and I gotta get a new Basarios quest?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
One thing I like about the way MH is doing this stuff, is that while I get all obsessive and particular about what kind of gear I want and what kind of things I want to harvest to make, what kind of distraction I may want from the game in the moment, and however many sidequests I want to complete, as that takes fucktons of gameplay hours and monster runs, I'm not uncontrollably leveling up to become a god that could sneeze anything to death. In this way, the meaning of the things I enjoy doing is given all value instead of being completely devalued aside from pure vanity of preference. It remains a pure experience of gameplay.

Haint

Fuck me, why did it not make front page deal somewhere that this was $22 at BB with Gamer club, $17 with the $5 rewards I had rotting. Follow SD and Reddit GDs daily and I still almost missed this, guess I'll put up with the hackers for that price.

Raide

I am guessing you can only have 2 Palico out at a time? I have 3 now in my house and it really is nice to have a Healer one out in the field. :D

Also, where do I get Humble Scraps from? Is that the fishing net thing?

Fuck me, why did it not make front page deal somewhere that this was $22 at BB with Gamer club, $17 with the $5 rewards I had rotting. Follow SD and Reddit GDs daily and I still almost missed this, guess I'll put up with the hackers for that price.

Online is not as infested with hackers as you seem to think. You can also just not play with randoms and stick to playing with friends or GAFers.

Kane1345

I am guessing you can only have 2 Palico out at a time? I have 3 now in my house and it really is nice to have a Healer one out in the field. :D

Also, where do I get Humble Scraps from? Is that the fishing net thing?

Later on you can send your Palico's out on hunts. The more monsters they successfully hunt the more scraps they come back with.

Kensuke

Online is not as infested with hackers as you seem to think. You can also just not play with randoms and stick to playing with friends or GAFers.

G rank is kinda infested though. I kicked someone today with a White Fatalis set. Yesterday someone was wearing a talisman with +10 Edgemaster and +10 Ferocity. Hopefully they'll be more uncommon once more people get into G rank.

OceanBlue

I used up 99 Normal 3 shots and 40 Normal 2 shots on my first time against Congalala. Is that normal for a Light Bowgun? I feel like I'm doing something wrong lol.

Raide

Any bow users? I want to try it out but there is a serious lack of good armor for it so far. What are you guys using?

At low end it seems to be more about the weapon than the gear. Until I can kill something well and evade and recover in crappy gear, I don't deserve the good stuff. :D

Hardest part of the bow is making sure you can damage your enemy frequently, as fights can drag out for ages since bows generally have lower damage.

Attack up, status up etc is great for gear. Elemental attacks that match your weapon are also great if you plan on hunting monsters weak to your bow element. This means collecting plenty of bows. :D

Raide

I used up 99 Normal 3 shots and 40 Normal 2 shots on my first time against Congalala. Is that normal for a Light Bowgun? I feel like I'm doing something wrong lol.

Rapid fire guns that match what shot you plan to use is the way to cut down on ammo usage. Also light bowgun for inflicting status effects. Sleep bombing is a great way to speed up your kills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom