• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, it's pretty much a freebie on that armor. But if you get heavily into SnS, DS or bowguns it's worth looking into situational elemental sets.

Wait wait wait. I'm leveling up 6-7 Greatswords, Insect Glaives, Charge Blades and SwitchAxes for each type. Are you saying most people just grab a weapon and use it? =\ hrmm. Have I been wasting my time making dozens of weapons I won't use? I just figured having one of each element maxed out'd be useful, but I don't seem to go for elemental weaknesses that often...hrmm.

JimPanzer

Whoohoo!! Way to go! I'm slowly working my way up. How many hours you estimate it took you?

I clocked in 96hours currently, note that I've done almost all village quests and messed around a lot with different weapons and armor sets. could be done much faster I guess, in fact it's obvious some of the guys in the g-rank lobbys just rushed the key quests. I mean, free sockets, but negativ armor skills...

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I can not beat the Zinogre + rath quest. One is easy peasy, but the Zinogre is impossible for me. Bleh, any tips?
Maybe time for better armor? What's good for 5/6star village? I use charge blade.

Mupod

Wait wait wait. I'm leveling up 6-7 Greatswords, Insect Glaives, Charge Blades and SwitchAxes for each type. Are you saying most people just grab a weapon and use it? =\ hrmm. Have I been wasting my time making dozens of weapons I won't use? I just figured having one of each element maxed out'd be useful, but I don't seem to go for elemental weaknesses that often...hrmm.

I make all kinds of random crap for fun, but I don't get serious until G-rank. I'll sometimes make a set specifically for farming a monster.

Example that comes to mind is back in FU I had a fire dual sword set for killing Chameleos. It did so much damage to him that you could stagger his legs repeatedly and he couldn't fight back. I didn't do it for his gear, but because he was a good source of elder dragon gems.

Likewise for bowguns I make sets for ammo types. I rarely use elemental guns anymore, but I'll definitely use pellet, pierce or normal up if I'm using those shots. Bomb and combination armor skills if you're using clust, crag, etc. Bowguns are all about preparation and you generally need more than one gun and armor set. That Lucent Narga gun in 3U was an exception because it was so nasty you could murder everything with it.

jorgejjvr

I can not beat the Zinogre + rath quest. One is easy peasy, but the Zinogre is impossible for me. Bleh, any tips?
Maybe time for better armor? What's good for 5/6star village? I use charge blade.

I honestly just mixed random high rank armor pieces and upgraded them until I made Seregios's set.

I make all kinds of random crap for fun, but I don't get serious until G-rank. I'll sometimes make a set specifically for farming a monster.

Example that comes to mind is back in FU I had a fire dual sword set for killing Chameleos. It did so much damage to him that you could stagger his legs repeatedly and he couldn't fight back. I didn't do it for his gear, but because he was a good source of elder dragon gems.

Likewise for bowguns I make sets for ammo types. I rarely use elemental guns anymore, but I'll definitely use pellet, pierce or normal up if I'm using those shots. Bomb and combination armor skills if you're using clust, crag, etc. Bowguns are all about preparation and you generally need more than one gun and armor set. That Lucent Narga gun in 3U was an exception because it was so nasty you could murder everything with it.

Hmm. Thanks. Appreciate it.

Also, bit of an aside, is it just me or are the Tetsucabra weapons fucking terrible? I dont understand them. Average raw damage, -20% affinity, what's the point?

Mupod

dodge sideways, not backwards. Don't let him get too far from you - he'll start charging up, you need to stagger him out of that. Save your mount attack for when he DOES get powered up and break his horn to get him out of super saiyan mode. If he gets fully powered up and raging, well, hold on to your ass. Maybe bring a pitfall trap.

Don't use shock traps on him, lol. Remember multi-monster missions they have reduced hp so he's not as threatening as he seems.

Qurupeke

I did it about an hour ago with the worst possible armor for this(Gore). I nullified the fire weakness but I still had -15 thunder weakness. In case you didn't, have plenty of Dung Bombs and traps can really help you. Try beating Zinogre first. I had the S. Magara LS with dragon element, it's good for both but you could bring an ice sword or something with neutral element and more power. Also, eat for Defense in case you get carted thrice.

I'm not sure what else I should say, I beat it easily to my surprise.

demonkaze

Hit high rank now and already have the Jaggi S set and was wondering what armor set was worth aiming for next for both Charge Blade and Insect Glaive, alternatively, what skills are best for those weapons?

deim0s

Use charge thrust more and be a bit patient, is all I can give you. Use the super when there is a real opening.

jorgejjvr

I'm curious, how many of you actually have Power charms and/or power talons in your inventory? How about armor charms and/or armor talons?

jorgejjvr

Hit high rank now and already have the Jaggi S set and was wondering what armor set was worth aiming for next for both Charge Blade and Insect Glaive, alternatively, what skills are best for those weapons?

I enjoy Seregios's set since it prevents attacks from being deflected and also reduces how much stamina you use for blocking and evading.

MegaMelon

I did a high rank expedition and got a level 45ish guild quest to slay a kushala daora. Problem is it requires a hunter rank of 8 or above, which is rank. So the question is: is the kushala daora I fight in the guild quest high rank or g rank?

Fandangox

I'm curious, how many of you actually have Power charms and/or power talons in your inventory? How about armor charms and/or armor talons?

I used to in MH3U I kind of forgot about them here, I for the longest time had a power and defense pill (need to use to activate) on my pouch, only having them there "just in case" but I just put them in the box.

I might as well get both later though.

Kadin

Is the demo a really good indicator of what to expect? I've played it a few times and oh boy am I terrible with the combat. Constantly missing and getting steam rolled by all the numerous critters running around. I've watched a few videos and it seems this is the norm but how do you deal with that clunky feeling it gives you? I liken it a bit to Dark Souls in that once you commit to something, you just kinda have to wait it out.

Can I expect with serious practice that it get a LOT better cause right now I'm definitely not feeling it.

Reknoc

Another disconnect it seems, but that may have worked out alright, don't think I would have had time for doing the Urgent anyway. So I'll be back on in about an hour or so if anyone wants to do the HR2 urgent Gore

Another disconnect it seems, but that may have worked out alright, don't think I would have had time for doing the Urgent anyway. So I'll be back on in about an hour or so if anyone wants to do the HR2 urgent Gore

I unlocked the urgent quest too. If you're going to host another room I'll join.

Scher

I'd be more than happy to help with the urgent when you get back, if you'd like! Hope the Najarala didn't cause too many issues.

I did it about an hour ago with the worst possible armor for this(Gore). I nullified the fire weakness but I still had -15 thunder weakness. In case you didn't, have plenty of Dung Bombs and traps can really help you. Try beating Zinogre first. I had the S. Magara LS with dragon element, it's good for both but you could bring an ice sword or something with neutral element and more power. Also, eat for Defense in case you get carted thrice.

I'm not sure what else I should say, I beat it easily to my surprise.
I did it yesterday in Gore to!

I never really thought about my gear level as I'm missing the legs and arms so I assume I'm not getting the full effect either good or bad ..

Anyway, first thing I did was take myself to the dragon's nest and had it out with her there. Anytime she runs you just have to pick up an egg and she'll be back in like 30secs. I just assumed that ass-hole thunder dog wouldn't dare go to her nest ...

After I gave her the business I swung my stick around wildly until the dog bit it.

Elija2

Should I always be charging my shield with the Charge Blade? I always use my phials on axe attacks instead but I'm wondering if that's inefficient.

Seil

Should I always be charging my shield with the Charge Blade? I always use my phials on axe attacks instead but I'm wondering if that's inefficient.

Well, charging the shield increases the power of your axe attacks, improves your shield, and gives your shield and its guard points free bursts. I generally start by getting five phials and getting back to the red, then charge my shield up and also have 5 phials to make use of. From there, keeping phials up is easy.

Just don't use the Ultra burst, because spending all your phials and your shield charge is inefficient unless it's a final attack. If you have an opening for a big attack, just change it over to Super with back + X instead.

Really wish I could get a grip on Charge Blade. I WANT it to be 1 of my 3 main weapons but it just feels like the hidden button combos are just too awkward for me to understand.

I can kinda charge the shield ... but after I charge it I can never understand how to actually DO the ultimate.

Kadin

Alright the game is downloading. Someone wanna give me a pointer or two to think about for a complete newb? As I mentioned early I'm quite terrible with the combat but would love to know the best way to get used to it and maybe a preferred weapon to choose from the start. I have no problem starting over once I get things down a bit, if that's advisable. I'm going to watch some of the videos linked in the OT as well.

Mandelbo

I can kinda charge the shield ... but after I charge it I can never understand how to actually DO the ultimate.

You do the ultimate exactly the same way you do the regular elemental burst: there are three ways that I know to get to it.

1. Switch to axe mode and do the whole A combo.
2. Switch to axe mode and press A+X at the same time to jump straight to it.
3. Switch to sword mode and press A+X three times. I don't know if you have to start the combo with A+X, since the first move is just a straight sword swing, but I press A+X three times anyway :p

Be careful though, because doing the ultimate uses up all your phials and kicks you out of ultra mode. Only use it when you know you're going to land the hit!

Seil

Alright the game is downloading. Someone wanna give me a pointer or two to think about for a complete newb? As I mentioned early I'm quite terrible with the combat but would love to know the best way to get used to it and maybe a preferred weapon to choose from the start. I have no problem starting over once I get things down a bit, if that's advisable. I'm going to watch some of the videos linked in the OT as well.

Just take your time. Test out the various weapons(and check guides on them so you have an idea how to use them) to find something that fits you and go from there. Also no need to start over or anything. You're given a basic version of each weapon to begin with and there are some tutorial quests to let you test out the various weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom