• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjc

Nvm, finally got him after watching him limp a bit more. Thanks for the tips guys! I'm new to MH so some things kind of confuse me.

CrovaxPSO

Is there an "appropriate" time to start working on my hunter rank? I've spent probably 90% of my time so far doing the offline caravan quests, only going online to farm a monster a couple times for parts. Most recently cleared the first encounter with Gore Magala.

Ultrabum

Is there an "appropriate" time to start working on my hunter rank? I've spent probably 90% of my time so far doing the offline caravan quests, only going online to farm a monster a couple times for parts. Most recently cleared the first encounter with Gore Magala.

Play at your own pace and do whatever you think is fun.

jorgejjvr

I just finished my Seregios urgent and it's now my favorite monster in the series. Holy shit that fight is amazing.

So uh, how many 9* quests do I have to do before Azure Rathalos shows up? I'm still in low rank armor and I'd like to make a high rank set.

Not too far.

Owensboro

What's the dileniator between low and high rank monsters? A certain star rating? I need to go trips from a high rank and don't know what star rating to shoot for.

Kinsei

Banned
What's the dileniator between low and high rank monsters? A certain star rating? I need to go trips from a high rank and don't know what star rating to shoot for.

In the single player high rank starts at the 7* quests. There are some high rank monsters in the 6* quests but you need to get far enough in the guild hall to unlock them. In the guild hall high rank starts at HR4.

Fandangox

High Rank online/multiplater is from H4 and forward.

While caravan/main campaign is from HR7 and on.

melos

Man that was fun hunting with some of you earlier (I was Yojimbo with the Insect Glaive). Sorry I had to leave but real life calls sometimes.....

Prototype

Are the boosts worth it? Really dont want to give up 2 slots but.....more power!!!
Absolutely worth carrying them. It's a passive attack and defense increase.

As you get better you can stop carrying the defense ones, (I usually stop carrying them end game when I have maxed out g rank armor) but there's really no reason to not ever carry the attack ones.

tariniel

So a friend and I have ranked up to HR3. After we killed Gore Magala twice I have enough materials to make his insect glaive... is it worth it? I've never used the glaive before but I heard it's pretty good.

Up until now I've been using charge blade, and there's also a gore version of that but I would need to farm him a few more times, which is a bummer because he's probably the hardest MH enemy I've ever fought before. We carted twice for each urgent we did for rankups.

melos

So a friend and I have ranked up to HR3. After we killed Gore Magala twice I have enough materials to make his insect glaive... is it worth it? I've never used the glaive before but I heard it's pretty good.

Up until now I've been using charge blade, and there's also a gore version of that but I would need to farm him a few more times, which is a bummer because he's probably the hardest MH enemy I've ever fought before. We carted twice for each urgent we did for rankups.

I've been using that glaive since I made it and steadily upgrading it. I've found it very effective and worthwhile!

Card Boy

Banned
I always thought Sword and Shield was shit cause it looked weak and doesnt have fancy moves but its actually really good with the Auto-Guard skill.

Blitzhex

Yeah gore weapons are pretty good. I'm using a HR gore GS. Dragon element is pretty good all round in mh4u, most monsters have some weakness to dragon.

kewlmyc

I've been going Dual Swords since I've been playing and decided to try the Long Sword out. Holy crap, everything is dying so quickly. Especially if you can manage to keep the spirit gauge in the red the whole time.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
And down goes the zinogre! Thanks everyone. I was too aggressive when it went super. Stopping the power up and backing off when it raged helped a lot.

You do the ultimate exactly the same way you do the regular elemental burst: there are three ways that I know to get to it.

1. Switch to axe mode and do the whole A combo.
2. Switch to axe mode and press A+X at the same time to jump straight to it.
3. Switch to sword mode and press A+X three times. I don't know if you have to start the combo with A+X, since the first move is just a straight sword swing, but I press A+X three times anyway :p

Be careful though, because doing the ultimate uses up all your phials and kicks you out of ultra mode. Only use it when you know you're going to land the hit!

Will have to try this out, thanks!

As of right I need to make sure it's a weapon I want before I invest in upgrading it.

General noob question, should I just make gear and weapons that I can for right now (still low rank and haven't been online yet. Latest stuff I have done is the Rath + Thunder Dog and the frenzied 2 monster stuff in that Star rank) or should I hold off on using mats until later? Will all the Gore mats I have right now be useful in the later recipes or are they replaced by some other stuff?

Looking again if there are any people willing to go through the lower ranks with me. Been on the urgent Nerscylla quest for a while now but every time I attempt her with randoms she destroys us just before we're able to beat her.

Also looking to do Gypceros one more time so I can finally build that Poison Battleaxe.

Edit: checking to see if there is any interest before I make a room.

I bought a N3DS and ordered MH4, but they won't get here till next week. I'm really excited to play this game, and I've been watching a bunch of youtube videos to familiarize myself with the game. I've watched most of GaijinHunter's stuff, are there any other good MH streamers? I'm really looking for something like a podcast with Monster Hunter video, similar to the Giant Bomb quicklook.

Edit:

Also, any good MH podcasts? Dark Souls has a few, I really like the Twin Humanities podcast and Bonfireside Chat.

denshuu

I don't get it. Just the pun/joke? or is there some cultural/social implication?

It's a Wayne's World quote from the mid-90s that Dark Souls players think originated with Dark Souls, because Dark Souls players are wont to do silly things like that.

Cerity

Just me or is melding talismans trash tier? I've fed in a few +7/+8 purple talismans only to be fed back some +1 to +3 white ones with worse skills. It seems to be easier and better just to go out mining them.

tuffy

General noob question, should I just make gear and weapons that I can for right now (still low rank and haven't been online yet. Latest stuff I have done is the Rath + Thunder Dog and the frenzied 2 monster stuff in that Star rank) or should I hold off on using mats until later? Will all the Gore mats I have right now be useful in the later recipes or are they replaced by some other stuff?
Use the stuff you have for things you want now. Things gets obsolete as you progress. Low rank monster parts are rarely needed for high rank gear. Low rank weapons get upgraded into high rank ones. Low rank armor just gets tossed in the bin in favor of high rank armor. If you do need parts later on, it'll be easy to farm with better gear anyway. So you might as well use it.

VandalD

Didn't think I'd get this because I haven't seen most of 3U yet, though I'd played through G rank on Tri. Glad I did. Lots of monster variety in this game, and no underwater combat. Still think the game's pretty ugly, but that's something I've already gotten over.
I just bought this, guide me Gaf.
New to the series or new to the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom