• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chao

New to the series, confused about the gameplay and not sure if I'm finding it fun. I kind of bash buttons, fight again the shitty camera and get hit countless times by big monsters until they die like an hour later.

I'm probably really bad at the game, but I don't find the combat satisfying at all (on the other hand I REALLY enjoyed dragons dogma, a game also by Capcom).

It seems really clunky and hitting a monster doesn't feel like an achievement, since the monster just stays there absorbing hits until after a million of them he maybe gets stunned or something.

Do you know of some good gameplay videos I can check to see what am I doing wrong? Because right now it just isn't really fun for me.

ilium

New to the series, confused about the gameplay and not sure if I'm finding it fun. I kind of bash buttons, fight again the shitty camera and get hit countless times by big monsters until they die like an hour later.

I'm probably really bad at the game, but I don't find the combat satisfying at all (on the other hand I REALLY enjoyed dragons dogma, a game also by Capcom).

It seems really clunky and hitting a monster doesn't feel like an achievement, since the monster just stays there absorbing hits until after a million of them he maybe gets stunned or something.

Do you know of some good gameplay videos I can check to see what am I doing wrong? Because right now it just isn't really fun for me.

combat is all about timing, positioning and evading. similar to dark souls in this regard.
you have to commit to your attack(animations) because you can't cancel them midway.
button mashing is a bad idea, you really have to know you weapon's moveset.

gaijin hunter has indepth guides for all weapons on his channel.

projared's beginner guides should help you as well.

Netto-kun

Made a room for HR5 key quests.

39-8530-7142-4067
Pw: 1234

3DS name and GAF username are the if I am already on your friend list.

Edit: 2 spots left.

one of them

Neo Member
So I'm at the point where every fight I go into is like 30+ minutes long and I barely pull off a win after 2 carts and all of my potions. My stress levels are through the damn roof. I'm looking into ways to try and gear up to make fights easier but I feel like every time I get better gear then I just move on to better monsters and the difficulty thus stays about the same. I understand a lot of people love this kind of intense progression, but personally it's just a bit too much for me. I like intense fights but not every damn time. This is also my first MH so it's possible I'm missing something huge.

I just got to HR4 in the online guild hall and I need to kill the Shagaru Magala for an urgent village quest (btw I think Shagala Magala would've been a better name). My armor set is the Ceanataur/Gore/Ceanataur/Gore/Tetsucabra that gets you Sharpness +1 in low rank and I'm using Leumundsgift IG. Any tips for how to make fights a bit easier for me? Also just assume that I'm not terrible with the IG, because I think I'm pretty good with it (and refuse to use anything else because god damn is that thing awesome).

Kazerei

Banned
So I'm at the point where every fight I go into is like 30+ minutes long and I barely pull off a win after 2 carts and all of my potions. My stress levels are through the damn roof. I'm looking into ways to try and gear up to make fights easier but I feel like every time I get better gear then I just move on to better monsters and the difficulty thus stays about the same. I understand a lot of people love this kind of intense progression, but personally it's just a bit too much for me. I like intense fights but not every damn time. This is also my first MH so it's possible I'm missing something huge.

I just got to HR4 in the online guild hall and I need to kill the Shagaru Magala for an urgent village quest (btw I think Shagala Magala would've been a better name). My armor set is the Ceanataur/Gore/Ceanataur/Gore/Tetsucabra that gets you Sharpness +1 in low rank and I'm using Leumundsgift IG. Any tips for how to make fights a bit easier for me? Also just assume that I'm not terrible with the IG, because I think I'm pretty good with it (and refuse to use anything else because god damn is that thing awesome).

Make sure to upgrade your armor to increase its defense. Your armor set is great and should carry you through high rank.

ohlawd

after 50 hours on this, I think I like 3U better

these old monsters are straight garbage. and I don't really understand the better pacing people bring up. I just don't see it

also miss the underwater combat. this vertical stuff isn't doing shit to me

tuffy

I've got to say, the Shagaru Magala caravan urgent quest is a ton of fun - though I lucked out a little and had both Felyne Sharpshooter and Felyne Temper both activate. But I'd bring some Farcasters if I had to do it again because it's hard to find a moment to combine more ammo or chug a potion while he's bouncing around the room.

Now to finish the remaining low rank caravan quests before moving on to high rank.

Pancho

Qurupancho
So just started the game yesterday, and Im trying to figure out a good hammer path, any recomendation? Also suggestion of good armor sets for a hammer user as well.

Remember when I got 2 rathian rubies on my first pink rathian and plates on my first gore magala and shagaru magala? Got another ruby on my first village pink rathian, a los ruby on my first HR rathalos and a gore magala nyctgem on my first HR Gore magala. So far I've also quickly gotten all other things I needed for weapons and armor. I think I've officially beaten the desire sensor!

Raide

So just started the game yesterday, and Im trying to figure out a good hammer path, any recomendation? Also suggestion of good armor sets for a hammer user as well.

You usually with a bit of everything. A variety of elemental weapons will help out as you progress, just to make certain fights easier for you.

KHlover

Banned
Remember when I got 2 rathian rubies on my first pink rathian and plates on my first gore magala and shagaru magala? Got another ruby on my first village pink rathian, a los ruby on my first HR rathalos and a gore magala nyctgem on my first HR Gore magala. So far I've also quickly gotten all other things I needed for weapons and armor. I think I've officially beaten the desire sensor!

I got another 2 Rathian Rubies since yesterday. Rathian likes me ;D

Kinsei

Banned

Have fun getting the G rank rare materials you need!

bobohoro

The Law of Large Numbers will come back to bite you in the ass upon arrival in G-Rank. I'm looking forward to your tales of despair.

PKrockin

Apparently I got a Gore Magala plate on my very first fight with it. I didn't even notice until now.

Are you using:
Traps?
Flash and/or sonic bombs?
Poisoned/drugged/tinged meat when applicable?
Barrel bombs for the 3x damage multiplier on the first hit on a sleeping monster?

after 50 hours on this, I think I like 3U better

these old monsters are straight garbage. and I don't really understand the better pacing people bring up. I just don't see it

also miss the underwater combat. this vertical stuff isn't doing shit to me
IMO what 3U has over 4U are the Shakas. Isn't it enough that we have cats in town, in my house, in the story, hosting the minigames, and all over the hunting areas? My companions need to be cats too? Bizarre half-anthropomorphic cats standing on two legs, too. The constant meowing is straight up annoying and it's dumb that you can't take just one specialized cat--the main one has to come along for some reason. I just want a thief to steal some extra materials or a support to set a shock trap now and then, but taking two palicos makes the monster run all over the place and act less predictably.

It's true the old monsters are crap though, except Diablos. Third Gen had the right idea replacing them with improved monsters like the Great Jaggi family, Qurupeco, and Gigginox.

jorgejjvr

Am I the only one that thinks that the ship quests were you fight this gigantic desert elder dragon are not fun? They are the only ones I don't enjoy

They break completely from the mh combat, it is its own thing. It's no big deal and there aren't that many. But I don't feel satisfaction or have fun doing those quests, it's boring

KHlover

Banned
Am I the only one that thinks that the ship quests were you fight this gigantic desert elder dragon are not fun? They are the only ones I don't enjoy

They break completely from the mh combat, it is its own thing. It's no big deal and there aren't that many. But I don't feel satisfaction or have fun doing those quests, it's boring

I agree. IMO veeery boring. Shooting at it with cannons and ballistes for 20min just isn't any fun :/

PKrockin

Nope, they're boring as hell. I replayed Ceadeus and Jhen Mohran hunts a few times for a mixed set of Ceadeus armor in MH3U and it was the most boring thing I've done in the series so far. I'd rather fish or do egg carrying quests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom