• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerity

Just did the Seregios quest, holy doley. Reminded of the first time I fought barioth in tri with it's crazy moveset. Can't wait to fight him again, can see him being ridiculous in the guild quests where he'll actuallhy have health.

I totally forgot to bring whetstones after running out of them in my last hunt too, I ran around the map mining hoping to get some but it was all fucium ore, twimeworn and shining charms :V just gave up and completed the subquest to get the mini whetstones.

Assault

HR6 Urgent (Shagaru) seems pretty impossible solo. Nobody seems to want to join my online lobby when I host this quest... Ah well, gonna take a break and try later.

Qurupeke

I made a carrying armor super set so everything was a breeze =v=
good luck on the dragons though, they can be assholes

I should have done that. I killed Rathian and Rathalos, so at least I didn't have a problem with them. The always always changing route was a pain too. The last one had literally every annoying small monster.

Astarte

I should have done that. I killed Rathian and Rathalos, so at least I didn't have a problem with them. The always always changing route was a pain too. The last one had literally every annoying small monster.

I didn't even bother killing either of them and strong manned my way back and forth because I was unstoppable lol

Does everyone online play charge blade or long sword? I'm beginning to see a lot of charge blade and long sword.

Just did offline dual frenzied tigrex. I wasn't worried or anything.

Except then I forgot dung bombs. So I fought both at once and won.

MY HUNTRESS IS ALL THAT IS MAN.

Raide

I am enjoying the power bows. A nice change from raining arrows down on monsters, which only works outdoors, rendering most of the weapons abilities useless.

Still getting back into finding the correct range by sight. Narajala was tricky because it moved all the time and wanted to get close range. Bow should have a move where you shoot the ground and it vaults you backwards a short distance.

Might start my online adventure soon and get those HR's ready.

PKrockin

Just fought Yian Garuga. Man the old monsters are pretty bad compared to third and fourth generation. Most of them seem to have a charge move that hits on frame 1 that's also instantly cancelable directly into other attacks without any kind of transition animation. Their models just jerk from one pose to the next in one frame. I guess Capcom will never fix them. :(

thefil

Just fainted out of a mission for the first time :( 9* village quest, Gravios and Zinogre, with Gravios dead. It's so easy to get 2 or 3-shot after you've died once and lost your food buff.

My hope was to persist long enough to be able to fight Stygian Zinogres and make armour with Charge+1, but now I'm thinking it might be worth making something before that. Can anyone recommend armour attainable at my progression (Village 9*, HR5) that's good for a great sword?

Assault

Thanks to Col and whichever other gaffers joined my room. Beat Shagaru twice and managed to snag a phosgem on the second one.

co1onel

Thanks to Col and whichever other gaffers joined my room. Beat Shagaru twice and managed to snag a phosgem on the second one.

Dang, lucky. I'm debating whether I want to go for another phosgem to make the shagaru armor set too, or if I should just go on to g-rank now.

Velociprey X is a good place to start G-rank if you don't want to farm elder dragons: AuXL, auto tracker, negate stun (with talisman) for minimal effort (if you have a g-rank guild quest for Velocidrome).
If you don't have the guild quest, let me know and I can send you one.

Kane1345

I want to wear the Varia Suit, but I play a female character, so I have to wear the gross Zero Suit because some stupid reason that can only be speculated.

whose fault is this capcpom. gimme varia suit for ladies. :mad:

You would think that playing a female character would allow you to wear the armour of one of the most iconic females in gaming but no....

Rolling a male later just to get the suit, still feels wrong

Bleep

Just fainted out of a mission for the first time :( 9* village quest, Gravios and Zinogre, with Gravios dead. It's so easy to get 2 or 3-shot after you've died once and lost your food buff.

My hope was to persist long enough to be able to fight Stygian Zinogres and make armour with Charge+1, but now I'm thinking it might be worth making something before that. Can anyone recommend armour attainable at my progression (Village 9*, HR5) that's good for a great sword?

I used Mosgharl arms and a charm with focus mixed with Rathalos / Monoblos to get fast charge to +10 and attack up to +20 until I got to S.Zin. Not much help unless you had good charm and bumblepumpkin luck though! Before that I was rolling with mixed armor with attack up xl as the only skill.

co1onel

This is why I held onto all those max potions from the starter pack. Will come in handy with some of the harder quests where I'm sure to faint at least once.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Is it just me or does this game start throwing double monster quests at you way earlier than previous games? Only 5* and you're already throwing a Rathalos/Zinogre mission at me? Geeeez. I carted twice against Zinogre alone!

Is it just me or does this game start throwing double monster quests at you way earlier than previous games? Only 5* and you're already throwing a Rathalos/Zinogre mission at me? Geeeez. I carted twice against Zinogre alone!

I feel like there have been quite a lot of them pretty quickly. But the compensation is that both monsters are just shadows of their true selves. It's sad how fast a monster goes down when it's part of a dual monster hunt.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I feel like there have been quite a lot of them pretty quickly. But the compensation is that both monsters are just shadows of their true selves. It's sad how fast a monster goes down when it's part of a dual monster hunt.

Well that's reassuring, at least. Not so worried now.

Also, grabbed the Cean/Gore/Tetsu mixed set and gemmed it up to have Speed Sharpen as well. Along with the Gore Hammer (which doesn't suck now thanks to Sharpness +1), I'm hitting like a goddamn truck. :lol This'll definitely do until I get to high rank and can get the Ceanataur hammer.

Juraash

Got to high rank caravan tonight. Super glad to be there and that Hermitaur was first up. His new moves were super awesome and made him a lot of fun to fight. Got the GS made almost right away. I remember liking his armor a lot for bow in MHFU, now that I'm more experienced I'll have to see check it out and see if it's a good craft.

This is such a great entry into the series and I'm having more fun every hour I put in.

Got to high rank caravan tonight. Super glad to be there and that Hermitaur was first up. His new moves were super awesome and made him a lot of fun to fight. Got the GS made almost right away. I remember liking his armor a lot for bow in MHFU, now that I'm more experienced I'll have to see check it out and see if it's a good craft.

This is such a great entry into the series and I'm having more fun every hour I put in.

How much longer before I unlock HR caravan? Getting to HR online was so much faster. I just beat offline Mohran for the first time.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I think my favorite thing about MH4U is that it just feels good to be in love with Monster Hunter again. I enjoyed Tri well enough, but on the whole there was just something about the 3 series (Tri, P3rd, and 3U) that I didn't really care for. And I'm sure it wasn't just the underwater stuff because P3rd didn't have that and I still didn't like it much (and I even bought P3rd HD on PSN). But this, man...I just love 4U so much. It just feels like such a vast improvement.

Qurupeke

I was doing the Rathalos+Rathian quest and suddenly I got combo'd Poison+Stun+Hit from Rathian and I got carted. Then, I went back to -20 Fire Res... Intense hunt. Hopefully, I won't have to kill any more of the Rath anytime soon...

I think my favorite thing about MH4U is that it just feels good to be in love with Monster Hunter again. I enjoyed Tri well enough, but on the whole there was just something about the 3 series (Tri, P3rd, and 3U) that I didn't really care for. And I'm sure it wasn't just the underwater stuff because P3rd didn't have that and I still didn't like it much (and I even bought P3rd HD on PSN). But this, man...I just love 4U so much. It just feels like such a vast improvement.
I couldn't agree more. I haven't been so in love with MH since MHFU. The game just seems to do everything right.

caesar

Banned
Was almost ready to give up the game.. mh noob and I couldnt beat the kecha with my sa. Changed to charge blade, practiced for 20 mins and went in again. Ultra bursted the kecha on the next try and kicked his ass, wrecked gypceros 1st try too. 4 hrs later ive farmed my tetsucabra armour and got him down to 9 mins and just managed to kill a basarios by hitting its legs for 18 mins. (how do you hurt this guy?)

Next I gotta capture the gendrome, need to look up how to make traps I guess. I think im addicted finally. >_>

Apparently the Nargacuga armor is low rank, but requires high rank parts to get. :/ Wtf.

Although, it has really good skills. I AM just able to upgrade it into High Rank defense though, right? I won't be screwed over by that?

ramyeon

Was almost ready to give up the game.. mh noob and I couldnt beat the kecha with my sa. Changed to charge blade, practiced for 20 mins and went in again. Ultra bursted the kecha on the next try and kicked his ass, wrecked gypceros 1st try too. 4 hrs later ive farmed my tetsucabra armour and got him down to 9 mins and just managed to kill a basarios by hitting its legs for 18 mins. (how do you hurt this guy?)

Next I gotta capture the gendrome, need to look up how to make traps I guess. I think im addicted finally. >_>
In low rank capture quests they'll give you the traps and tranqs you need. Won't hurt to know how to make your own though, since you'll need to bring your own for High Rank onwards.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I couldn't agree more. I haven't been so in love with MH since MHFU. The game just seems to do everything right.

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel, too. Haven't loved MH this much since Freedom Unite.

You can get 15 of each trap (as well as a bunch of other useful stuff) if you download the free Starter Pack from the "Gift Area" section of the DLC menu. Really helpful stuff, especially for new players. Cuts down on a lot of farming time in the beginning.

This has probably been linked in the thread before, but here:

https://sites.google.com/site/pingsdex/pingsmh4gdex/en_us

It's a 50 megabyte standalone program, no installation required. Has everything you could possibly want. Specific monster weaknesses, item carve percentages, armor set pictures for both male and female, an armor set builder for set mixing (my favorite part about this is as you add pieces to the set, it keeps a running count of all the materials you'll need to build each piece), detailed breakdowns of what you can gather from each screen of every area, etc. I've had it open constantly for the past week.

co1onel

I don't think I've even had this much fun with a game in general since maybe MHFU.

deoee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom