• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMN

I just upgraded my Bone Glaive to Bone Glaive+ which have 180 paralysis element, however for some reason the element is not highlighted, which is weird, can somebody explain me why the element is not activated?

tuffy

I just upgraded my Bone Glaive to Bone Glaive+ which have 180 paralysis element, however for some reason the element is not highlighted, which is weird, can somebody explain me why the element is not activated?
You'll need the Awakening skill for its 180 paralysis to activate.

Qurupeke

Am I the only one that thinks that the ship quests were you fight this gigantic desert elder dragon are not fun? They are the only ones I don't enjoy

They break completely from the mh combat, it is its own thing. It's no big deal and there aren't that many. But I don't feel satisfaction or have fun doing those quests, it's boring

I liked the Mohran quest in Tri but soloing it is very boring. It was fun when you did it with 4 people and everyone had their job.

tuffy

Thanks for the info, but what is the Awakening skill?
10 points of Free Element activates the Awakening skill, which adds element or status properties to some weapons which don't have them otherwise. It's found on a number of different armor sets, but difficult to add using decorations.

I believe Harvest Tour: Heaven's Mount, which is 5* Caravan.

Thanks. I guess I just need to play a bit more. I still have Gravios on 5* Caravan.

Or maybe not. I probably should've read the stats first. This set is so disappointing. -40 Fire Res and still needs +5 Artisan from jewels.

Qurupeke

When is the earliest access to Remobra? Need it to complete my Gore Magala set, but its Fire Res is so disgusting. -40??

I put some +2 fire res jewels to cancel it and then I eat for Fire Res when I face stuff like Rathalos or Rathian. The Gore armor has awful skills... but it looks awesome. :)

Also, Remombras can be found in HR3 on the Guild. Else, HR5 on Caravan. They're on the Heaven's mount area.

New to the series, confused about the gameplay and not sure if I'm finding it fun. I kind of bash buttons, fight again the shitty camera and get hit countless times by big monsters until they die like an hour later.

I'm probably really bad at the game, but I don't find the combat satisfying at all (on the other hand I REALLY enjoyed dragons dogma, a game also by Capcom).

It seems really clunky and hitting a monster doesn't feel like an achievement, since the monster just stays there absorbing hits until after a million of them he maybe gets stunned or something.

Do you know of some good gameplay videos I can check to see what am I doing wrong? Because right now it just isn't really fun for me.
Well you shouldn't just be bashing buttons since every weapon has certain moves and combos with different damage and properties for certain situations. The camera is fine, just tap and keep recentering with the target cam and make slight adjustments depending on what you're targeting. Learn to dodge monsters, knowing their attacks is the most important part of the fight, once you do that then you'll stop taking as many hits and start getting in more hits. You should also look up what monster points are and what elements they're weak to.

Monster Hunter is a game with a learning curve, it doesn't just get easier at some point when the game decides to power you up, it's all there from the get go and you have to learn how to use it.

Shengar

I liked the Mohran quest in Tri but soloing it is very boring. It was fun when you did it with 4 people and everyone had their job.

Yeah, doing it alone is really boring. It's like doing laundry list since those fights are scripted as hell. With friend at least, you could make it quicker and make more merrier somehow.
But at least the music is nice in those fight.

Sarakin

Neo Member
I've really enjoyed reading this thread so far. This is my first MH game and there have been a ton of good tips.

Quick question. Do food buffs stack with my armor skills? I currently have the velociprey armor and a couple attack gems to get it up to attack up (m) which i believe was 15 skill points. If I eat food and gain a attack up (s) does that just become a larger attack boost? Or is it a waste of a buff?

Mounting is actually kind of fun. It sounded dumb when the game first explained it but it is actually pretty satisfying to climb up on crap and then mount a monster.

About when should i start worrying about skills? I've been focusing on just improving attack and defense, not really building sets or anything. Only on 3 star quests. Dual blades.

MegaMelon

Fuck the laser!

edit: are you HR30+? If yes: you can take the HR7->HR8 (G-rank 1 permit) quest. I'm game if you want...

20 something now sadly lol. My ds is kinda low on battery so I'll take a break. Thanks for the offer, once I get better I'll return the favour.

Infinite

Mounting is actually kind of fun. It sounded dumb when the game first explained it but it is actually pretty satisfying to climb up on crap and then mount a monster.

About when should i start worrying about skills? I've been focusing on just improving attack and defense, not really building sets or anything. Only on 3 star quests. Dual blades.
Yes you should. In the beginning of the game skills like sharpener are available to you and pretty crucial for dual blades as your weapon dulls fast. Never ignore skills

PKrockin

I've really enjoyed reading this thread so far. This is my first MH game and there have been a ton of good tips.

Quick question. Do food buffs stack with my armor skills? I currently have the velociprey armor and a couple attack gems to get it up to attack up (m) which i believe was 15 skill points. If I eat food and gain a attack up (s) does that just become a larger attack boost? Or is it a waste of a buff?
Yes, the only attack/defense buffs that don't stack off the top of my head are Demondrugs or Armorskin with attack/defense boosts from food. I'm not sure about Mega Demondrugs/Armorskin but Power/Adamant Seeds do stack.

Armor skills, cooking boosts, Power Charm, Power Seed, Hunting Horn buffs, etc. can add up to crazy numbers.

BTW, you can just check the status window before and after to see exactly how much your stats are being affected.

Sarakin

Neo Member
Yes, the only attack/defense buffs that don't stack off the top of my head are Demondrugs or Armorskin with attack/defense boosts from food. I'm not sure about Mega Demondrugs/Armorskin but Power/Adamant Seeds do stack.

Armor skills, cooking boosts, Power Charm, Power Seed, Hunting Horn buffs, etc. can add up to crazy numbers.

BTW, you can just check the status window before and after to see exactly how much your stats are being affected.

Awesome! thanks.

Lombax

Banned
Good day GAF,

Question: I got a really good wep drop last night, but it is rusted. How the hell do I polish it so that it can be used? I just recently got to the second town in the single player game if that helps.

Also this is my first monster hunter game so please be descriptive.

Kinsei

Banned
How far along in the story should you be before you hop online? Just fought Gore on the boat for the first time

Anytime should be fine. Just make sure you get the stones from beating the single player before you start encountering apex monster (They don't show up until the endgame of the online).

Good day GAF,

Question: I got a really good wep drop last night, but it is rusted. How the hell do I polish it so that it can be used? I just recently got to the second town in the single player game if that helps.

Also this is my first monster hunter game so please be descriptive.

The village chief there will/has asked you to hunt Tetsucabra. Do that and you'll unlock the rust abolisher.

Qurupeke

How far along in the story should you be before you hop online? Just fought Gore on the boat for the first time

You can finish HR1 and start doing some HR2 stuff. Personally, I just try to do them both. I mainly play offline and do some quests here and there online but not the ones I haven't seen offline yet.

You can always just finish offline stuff first but probably this would be quite more time consuming. If I want to farm a monster I often go online.

Lizardus

Felt awesome when I Guard Pointed Kutku's charge attack to KO it and following it up with a Ultra AED which broke his ears and killed him. Can't wait to put more time into this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom