• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

caesar

Banned
In low rank capture quests they'll give you the traps and tranqs you need. Won't hurt to know how to make your own though, since you'll need to bring your own for High Rank onwards.

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel, too. Haven't loved MH this much since Freedom Unite.

You can get 15 of each trap (as well as a bunch of other useful stuff) if you download the free Starter Pack from the "Gift Area" section of the DLC menu. Really helpful stuff, especially for new players. Cuts down on a lot of farming time in the beginning.

Yeah I just that starter pack, gonna definitely come in useful!

Btw did Gypceros play dead for you guys? Thought I won but I didnt hear the victory theme so was a little weird then he wakes up and goes berserk on me ha. Managed to take him though.

ramyeon

Btw did Gypceros play dead for you guys? Thought I won but I didnt hear the victory theme so was a little weird then he wakes up and goes berserk on me ha. Managed to take him though.
Yeah Gypceros will play dead when he's low on health, the attack he does when he wakes up will hit real hard on higher difficulties.

Kane1345

I feel you. Rathalos may be one of the easier to learn monsters but his attacks are still deadly.

Rathalos is indeed predictable and easier than a lot of other monsters but I hate that scream > fire blast your face combo. Then if you're down and it decides to spike you with poison.....yeah lol

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Anyone with an OG XL have any experience with this? Thinking about getting it since it looks like something that would not only give me the camera control I want, but also ease up the pain on my hands from playing for long amounts of time. The C-stick position is a bit weird, but having played hundreds of hours of FU and P3rd using "the claw", it shouldn't be hard for me to get used to.

xLaxs9s.jpg

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
This has probably been linked in the thread before, but here:

https://sites.google.com/site/pingsdex/pingsmh4gdex/en_us

It's a 50 megabyte standalone program, no installation required. Has everything you could possibly want. Specific monster weaknesses, item carve percentages, armor set pictures for both male and female, an armor set builder for set mixing (my favorite part about this is as you add pieces to the set, it keeps a running count of all the materials you'll need to build each piece), detailed breakdowns of what you can gather from each screen of every area, etc. I've had it open constantly for the past week.

Neat, that's going to replace a ton of bookmarks I've set.

Monsters do seem to simply spam attacks like crazy. Gravios beam, Khezu everything, yuans everything. I can see why someone would say they seem robotic. Wasn't as bad in 3u imo.

Still loving the game though.

All those monsters you brought up are 1st gen monsters (ie they premiered in Monster Hunter back in 2004). They have a more primitive moveset compared to newer monsters. Capcom could have updated them to be more intelligent but lol Capcom.

Yep, that's one of his mechanics, his other mechanic is non-stop charges, it seems.

Charge from one end of the area to the other, poison everywhere > turn around > do projectile attack > charge again > rinse and repeat until he leaves the area.

He's pretty fun to fight overall and not that hard otherwise, but that shit is annoying as hell.

Koeta

Anyone with an OG XL have any experience with this? Thinking about getting it since it looks like something that would not only give me the camera control I want, but also ease up the pain on my hands from playing for long amounts of time. The C-stick position is a bit weird, but having played hundreds of hours of FU and P3rd using "the claw", it shouldn't be hard for me to get used to.

I can't really speak for how good it is but the price sure isn't very nice lol

Does it work on the new 3ds xl?

Vuze

I want to wear the Varia Suit, but I play a female character, so I have to wear the gross Zero Suit because some stupid reason that can only be speculated.

whose fault is this capcpom. gimme varia suit for ladies. :mad:
Who knows, maybe they changed that restriction in the EU/US version of the game... ;)

caesar

Banned
Yep, that's one of his mechanics, his other mechanic is non-stop charges, it seems.

Charge from one end of the area to the other, poison everywhere > turn around > do projectile attack > charge again > rinse and repeat until he leaves the area.

He's pretty fun to fight overall and not that hard otherwise, but that shit is annoying as hell.

Yeah its definitely frustrating when they go crazy and you cant get any attacks off.

Shengar

Just fought Yian Garuga. Man the old monsters are pretty bad compared to third and fourth generation. Most of them seem to have a charge move that hits on frame 1 that's also instantly cancelable directly into other attacks without any kind of transition animation. Their models just jerk from one pose to the next in one frame. I guess Capcom will never fix them. :(
Thank you, thank you for this post.
I know there is something inherently wrong with Yian Garuga gameplay design wise, but I just don't how to put it in english. I could farm Lucent Nargacuga and Shagaru Magala all day because they are very fun to fight, but Yian Garuga is just pure fun killer due to how their attacks work. Its very frustrating since I never encounter something like that in MH3U.
Velociprey X is a good place to start G-rank if you don't want to farm elder dragons: AuXL, auto tracker, negate stun (with talisman) for minimal effort (if you have a g-rank guild quest for Velocidrome).
If you don't have the guild quest, let me know and I can send you one.
How do you send guild quest? Must you sent it to your friend before you can take the quest together?
A Velociprey X armor would be good, but the farming will be pain alone.

Getting set on fire then poisoned by Rathalos in the space of about 5 seconds is no joke
Ten times the pain if you are Lance/Gunlance user.
Well, I used this baby of an accessories.
This is one of my reason why I'm hesitated buying a n3DS since the main problem playing MH on 3DS isn't just the lack of second stick (for me anyway), but also horrible ergonomic that makes me feel like fighting against hand cramps instead of the monsters. Safely to say that I'm very satisfied with my purchase, as hand cramps really isn't a problem anymore unless I play the game while lying on my back. The camera control is also fun to use somehow, getting used to it, including the ZL button is easy and seamless. With this CPP, I can wait until Hori make another grip for n3DS and/or NoA release regular n3DS.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Well, I used this baby of an accessories.
This is one of my reason why I'm hesitated buying a n3DS since the main problem playing MH on 3DS isn't just the lack of second stick (for me anyway), but also horrible ergonomic that makes me feel like fighting against hand cramps instead of the monsters. Safely to say that I'm very satisfied with my purchase, as hand cramps really isn't a problem anymore unless I play the game while lying on my back. The camera control is also fun to use somehow, getting used to it, including the ZL button is easy and seamless. With this CPP, I can wait until Hori make another grip for n3DS and/or NoA release regular n3DS.

Good enough for me. Thanks for the impressions! Will definitely be grabbing one of these now.

Cerity

yee b. gravios down, only took 28~ minutes lol. I mounted it and for some reason I managed to flip and mount it on it's stomach? Was stabbing it at it's exposed chest which was pretty cool.

Fairly confident that you'd get used to it pretty quickly. I was used to the virtual d-pad and was using that but dragged out my circle pad pro and I'm completely used to it.

I bought it ages ago for MH3U but never liked where the circle pad was in relation to buttons so I kept on using the touch screen d-pad instead. But now my hands are sore as hell and the CPP's grip helps with it, just took 2-3 hunts to get used to the position of the stick.

Reknoc

Loving High Rank spawning me right in front of the monster. None of that running around trying to get to them nonsense.

Kane1345

Finally met my favourite monster! Just as awesome as ever. That theme. That thunderstorm. That fight. That exhilaration. That shaking hands after it's over.

Need to lie down...

This has probably been linked in the thread before, but here:

https://sites.google.com/site/pingsdex/pingsmh4gdex/en_us

It's a 50 megabyte standalone program, no installation required. Has everything you could possibly want. Specific monster weaknesses, item carve percentages, armor set pictures for both male and female, an armor set builder for set mixing (my favorite part about this is as you add pieces to the set, it keeps a running count of all the materials you'll need to build each piece), detailed breakdowns of what you can gather from each screen of every area, etc. I've had it open constantly for the past week.

Anyone who doesn't use Ping's utilities is torturing themselves.

Shandy

In my experience, I don't recall a single fight where a move has been spammed repeatedly - as in, more than 2, 3 times in near-succession. Not in a way that's bad, at least, I had a horn-broken Gypceros constantly try to flash me, but that's free hits, so keep on trying to clack, Gypceros.

Maybe it's a perception thing - the stuff that really annoys you stands out more, so you think it happens more often than it really should (and actually did). I have absolutely no love for Khezu dropping onto me like a Masahiro Ito interpretation of a sugar glider. And, oh, the words out of my mouth when it did, but in retrospect, it probably only happened 3 times.

Who knows, maybe they changed that restriction in the EU/US version of the game... ;)

Are you telling me that I should be excited, or is it merely teasing? :p

Arveene

Neo Member
Just fainted out of a mission for the first time :( 9* village quest, Gravios and Zinogre, with Gravios dead. It's so easy to get 2 or 3-shot after you've died once and lost your food buff.

My hope was to persist long enough to be able to fight Stygian Zinogres and make armour with Charge+1, but now I'm thinking it might be worth making something before that. Can anyone recommend armour attainable at my progression (Village 9*, HR5) that's good for a great sword?

I used a mix of Diablos and Gore to have Sharpness +1, Crit Draw, and Sheathing. Diablos Helm, Diablos Mail, Diablos Vambraces, Gore Flaulds, and Arc Greaves without any talisman use. It's even easier if you have one with Crit Draw or Sheathing. Might be able to add tremor res depending on how good your talisman is. Heck, I'm using mostly the same pieces upgraded with armor spheres in G-rank and added Focus.

PKrockin

In my experience, I don't recall a single fight where a move has been spammed repeatedly - as in, more than 2, 3 times in near-succession.
Neither have I. On the contrary, I beat Plesioth in MHFU almost exclusively by moving away to bait its water beam, closing in to smashing its head while it beamed, and repeating. It would water beam 4 or 5 times in a row.

At that point I really became baffled as to why anyone calls Freedom Unite the best MH.

Welp. Just took on that 6* Gore in Caravan quests. Assumed it was low rank because everything else I'd done in 6* so far was low rank.

Nope.

That was fucking painful with my low rank weapons. Thankfully I've got a starter set of high rank armor. Got the tail and the feelers, but my god it took 45 minutes.

My mistake for not noticing that it said "HR 5 and up." under requirements.

caesar

Banned
Captured gendrome and slayed nerscylla, that was a fun fight. When the hell do I get access to another charge blade? Its only showing the first two and I have the 2nd.

Captured gendrome and slayed nerscylla, that was a fun fight. When the hell do I get access to another charge blade? Its only showing the first two and I have the 2nd.

Upgrade the first and second and they branch into other things. There really aren't too many charge blades compared to other weapons, but you'll eventually see more base forms to craft (although, some that will show up on your list can still be crafted by upgrading those first two you can currently see, like Dear Lutemis, the Rathian charge blade).

caesar

Banned
Upgrade the first and second and they branch into other things. There really aren't too many charge blades compared to other weapons, but you'll eventually see more base forms to craft (although, some that will show up on your list can still be crafted by upgrading those first two you can currently see, like Dear Lutemis, the Rathian charge blade).

Ah right I didn't realise that would reveal more weaps thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom