• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerity

Rathalos is pretty annoying in MH4. Wasted a bunch of time flying way up high and spitting fire down at me.

Managed to get a plate first time though. No idea what I should use it on.
Is his Switch Axe any good?

You'd hate him in 2nd gen then lol.

Spends the majority of the hunt circling overhead trying to swoop you and the only way to bring him down would be to throw flash bombs. Timed out more than once trying to kill him in MHF2.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Playing the demo to compare for this, and was fighting the Tetsucabra or whatever it's called, the big horned frog thing.

I was using the Lance Gun, I think that's what it's called, the one that has the charging melee move, backstep, and reload ---but none of my shots seemed to hit it? I eventually beat it, as I mixed in melee attacks as well, but is it normal for big monsters to not show they're getting hit with projectiles? I didn't know when I hit it with the projectiles, even though I aimed right at it and sometimes it seemed to react to it, but I didn't see any blood. Or was it immune to them due to its skin?

ohlawd

You all know you can stop yourself from getting up after being attacked by a monster, right? If you don't touch any buttons or the circle pad you'll lay on the ground invincible for much longer than normal

yeah I know this but I never make use of it

and it's especially useful for lancers because they really like taking any extra frames they can get

XaosWolf

Rathalos and Rathian in general feel like they got mega aggressive in MH4U.

I farmed the rath heart set earlier today and all I can say is FUCK PINK RATHIAN. She's the goddamn devil.

I watched her 100% to cart a person in my party, he ran all the way to the other side to pop a potion, while he's recovering she sniped him with a fire ball then started gliding over to him, as he gets up she knocked him down, then he gets up again and she tail flips poisoning him when he's at like 10% health, then he gets up to pop an antidote and she just wing flaps interrupting his animation and then she killed him with a tail spin.

I could feel his fury.

I could sense it.

I need to start bringing more life powders whenever I play with pubs

The only stunlock kill I've encountered so far is Gore knocking me against a cliff and chain attacking me into oblivion.

Wind Pressure and Roars seem to last longer in this one I've noticed. Basarios has a particularly long screech, as if he wasn't annoying enough as it is.
Rathalos kicks you around something shocking too. =(

You'd hate him in 2nd gen then lol.

Spends the majority of the hunt circling overhead trying to swoop you and the only way to bring him down would be to throw flash bombs. Timed out more than once trying to kill him in MHF2.

Ugh. I'm already like:

SYGSR01.gif

For some reason I couldn't find one with fireballs raining down

Kinsei

Banned
Huh gotcha, I was wondering since it says chat. Well assuming that's keyboard then. And any tips for a new player?

Since you're new you'll want to make full sets of armor, not mix and match. The biggest thing you want armor for is the skills it gives, not the defense.

If you ever need any help we're all more than happy to help.

Playing the demo to compare for this, and was fighting the Tetsucabra or whatever it's called, the big horned frog thing.

I was using the Lance Gun, I think that's what it's called, the one that has the charging melee move, backstep, and reload ---but none of my shots seemed to hit it? I eventually beat it, as I mixed in melee attacks as well, but is it normal for big monsters to not show they're getting hit with projectiles? I didn't know when I hit it with the projectiles, even though I aimed right at it and sometimes it seemed to react to it, but I didn't see any blood. Or was it immune to them due to its skin?

There's a chance you were too far away. Anyways, the cue that you actually hit something with the shelling is a bit of fire on their body for a second.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The only stunlock kill I've encountered so far is Gore knocking me against a cliff and chain attacking me into oblivion.

Wind Pressure and Roars seem to last longer in this one I've noticed. Basarios has a particularly long screech, as if he wasn't annoying enough as it is.

Rathalos also kicks you around something shocking. =(

Wind pressure in particular seems to be far worse than roars in this iteration of monhun, at least the monster cant hurt you while he's roaring lol.

Seriously though wind pressure lasts forever and has a huge range where it can affect you for some reason.

Also is Kiranico wrong / bugged or do low rank sets and g rank sets have similar defense when fully upgraded?

It says the diablos helm has 23 defense base and 125 defense fully upgraded and the diablos x helm has 96 base and 127 defense fully upgraded. Since all peices have the same amount of defense wouldn't that mean that the difference between the low rank diablos set and the g rank one fully upgraded is 10 defense?

Is this wrong orrr is this just something i've never noticed?

EDIT: Oh yeah i just remembered overforging existed in MH3U, is it back in MH4U? Where eventually it just asks you for HR mats and it gives it HR tier defense?

Watch Da Birdie

Well, I was firing a ton of shots, even when the monster was knocked out from the melee, and it didn't seem like there were any visual cues---I don't think I saw fire?

However I fired so many shells, more than I used melee attacks, and it eventually died, so I guess I did something right?

PKrockin

If you were shooting from a distance, the Gulance doesn't actually fire projectile bullets as far as I know, it just creates an explosion at the tip of the lance.

If you were in striking range, yeah, I thought it was kind of hard to see whether your shots are doing anything, which is why I wasn't interested in it early in 3U and never learned it.

Cerity

There's a lot more chip damage when monsters are turning and such in this as well.

Time to start messing around with a new weapon I think, might run with SnS and HBG.

Watch Da Birdie

If you were shooting from a distance, the Gulance doesn't actually fire projectile bullets as far as I know, it just creates an explosion at the tip of the lance.

If you were in striking range, yeah, I thought it was kind of hard to see whether your shots are doing anything, which is why I wasn't interested in it early in 3U and never learned it.

Oh, guess that's probably the issue---damn, so most of the fight I was just firing at nothing.

Oh well, at least I learned that in the demo and didn't screw up in the actual game.

PKrockin

Holy crap I triple carted to Daimyo Hermitaur and his OHKO water blast, this is a sad day for me.

Oh, guess that's probably the issue---damn, so most of the fight I was just firing at nothing.

Oh well, at least I learned that in the demo and didn't screw up in the actual game.
I made the same exact mistake when I bought 3U. "I'm firing at these Jaggis and nothing's happening... wait what do you mean it doesn't shoot bullets? There's an ammo counter! It's called a GUNlance!" lol

jercruz

You all know you can stop yourself from getting up after being attacked by a monster, right? If you don't touch any buttons or the circle pad you'll lay on the ground invincible for much longer than normal

yes, monsters attacking you twice or thrice in a row is common. just lie down and wait til it moves out.

Since you're new you'll want to make full sets of armor, not mix and match. The biggest thing you want armor for is the skills it gives, not the defense.

If you ever need any help we're all more than happy to help.
Just got the Jaggi Helm? Should I use it or switch so I can have a full armor set? My friend also mention a combo with the long sword, X,A,A,A correct?

Damn Id help but I haven't seen you on

Its all good! I will be playing more often, but kinda a scrub right now :p

Kinsei

Banned
Just got the Jaggi Helm? Should I use it or switch so I can have a full armor set? My friend also mention a combo with the long sword, X,A,A,A correct?

Its all good! I will be playing more often, but kinda a scrub right now :p

You're better off just fighting Jaggi over and over until you can make every piece of the Jaggi armor.

Kyzon

I need to do one run of Queen Seltas and then the HR 3 Urgent to get to High Rank. Can any gaf help??

22-0847-9189-9017

Pass: 3333

kaioshade

Am i doing something wrong with this game? Going to the man, he has about 540743097 different weapons available, for everything, except the charge blade. How do i unlock more weapons. Ive been stuck with the same weapon for the entire beginning now.

Prototype

Serg weapons are cool but I can't make a lance one. Guess I didn't get the required parts for it when I killed it once. And I don't even wanna kill it again >_> got tired of me just holding my shield up when it's doing that Street Fighter homing air kick lol

I have a set with guard +1 but I don't really like counter lancing since it's weaker than hopping through everything with evade. using this set as it has higher def than anything else I have

and I'm gonna stick with what I have even if future encounters will make my blood boil. gonna lance 'til I'm six feet under. had to vent cuz earlier I bounced off Black Gravios then it did that vertical laser. got hit and when I was getting up, it used its horizontal laser for the kill

Sticking with it will make you better in the end.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
yea its upgraded as far as i can take it. but all he has for sale is the elite blade or the defender blade. while greatswords he has rugged, santoku, luroth, thrash, chick decap. same with other weapons, much more for sale then the charge blade.

You need to get some of the materials of the weapon for it to show up, so basically keep killing new monsters and other things will eventually appear.

So if you want to be able to have the Dear Lutemis you have to hunt a rathian.

Also keep in mind you can only ever craft weapons that start a tree or a sub tree.

Experienced my first ever triple cart yesterday:

Enraged Teo surrounded by my 3 hunting partners as if they're invincible and the monster can't do shit, when suddenly it leaps into the air and goes supernova.

3 charred bodies lay on the ground to be devoured by the lion, and all I could do was watch in horror.

Hilarious, and I certainly gave them all shit for it in the hall (friends).

Juraash

So does a guide exist for what online stuff unlocks for the caravan and visa versa? I just hit 8 star and I know I'm missing quests in 6-7 star for caravan. Is it just hunter rank? Specific online quests?

XaosWolf

Seltas Queen down. Good way to farm Seltas items I guess.

Can her tail even be severed? Everything else seemed to break but that.

IIRC tail can be cracked but not severed.
Yeah, expected the pincers to break at the very least.

EDIT: Fucking Rathalos. As soon as a monster gets you caught against a cliff it ignores everything until it's killed you.
Roar, jump back fireball, charge, tail flip, tail spin.

Reached HR5 and I dedicated the last hour doing the "kitchen upgrade" quests, I can't stop playing this damn game.

Also, the Charge Blade is super fun but I'm clearly doing less damage than I did before with the almighty Great Sword.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom