• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pila

He's still a joke in high rank too. Tigrex has never been the same since MHFU.

Oh well :( I like playing G solo, I'm sure fun times are ahead. Now you don't tell me everything is a joke, it's my second MH I haven't reached that stage yet. ^^

tuffy

Also part of me wants to wait until I make the Black Gravios pierce HBG before taking on Dahren Mohran...maybe I'll do that first.
The low rank Dahren Mohran isn't too much to worry about, really. You should be able to bring him down without too much trouble just spamming ship weaponry or crouch-firing pierce 1 or something. Then once you have the Peerless, you can use its pierce 2 crouch to farm him for any parts you might need for the high rank version.

The gods of monster hunter are on my side. Instead of studying for an exam I have in fifteen minutes,I played monster hunter all night. Sudden bad weather. class cancelled. No exam until Wednesday.

and then I'll do the same thing

Salaadin

Gore Magala online is no joke. I can handle him with ease in single player but doing the rank up mission against him online? We won but damn... He's relentless.

jorgejjvr

Guys does the guild quest money divides between all the players? Like I remember shegeru magala was like 15,000 z and I remember getting a bit less than 4000 z, and we didn't die, there were 4 of us

ZeroWhiteRei

Neo Member
Guys, anyone wanna help me farm G-rank Seltas and Iodrome really quick?
I need 4 Seltas Cortexes and 2 Ioprey Piels to complete my Diablos X set :")

Mupod

Also, do I need to hit G rank in order to take the limiter off my HBG? Will that unlock if I got to 10* caravan?

Okay, did some research and apparently it's inherent in all rare 6 and higher bowguns. Which my Najarala gun will be once I beat Stygian Zinogre. Oh boy, time to wreck some faces.

Recommendations for good HR Bowgun armor? I've been almost exclusively melee for High Rank so far since the Veloci S armor is so easy to get, and does well for melee. I can do bowgun in high rank, but usually end up getting carted once or twice each battle due to my suckiness and everything hitting so hard against my LR armor.

I thought about the Artian one since it has Rapid Fire (I'm a LBG user), but I don't think I can get it for a while.

R0ckman

There's a lot of this in this game and it's pretty obvious tbh. Low health, so you run off to the side while the monster fights your palicoes, the moment you drop a pot or whatever the monster charges over to attack you, when it's done it'll charge back to your palicoes to resume attacking them.

Very disappointing, I don't remember it being anywhere near as pronounced in the older games.

What happens in online battles? Do monsters change their priority to item users?

Sitrus

Anyone up for helping me with the rank-up quest to G? I always manage to get disconnected from every room these last two days. For that quest ONLY. I'm not kidding, all other quests are good, this one just don't want me to finish it.

Mupod

Recommendations for good HR Bowgun armor? I've been almost exclusively melee for High Rank so far since the Veloci S armor is so easy to get, and does well for melee. I can do bowgun in high rank, but usually end up getting carted once or twice each battle due to my suckiness and everything hitting so hard against my LR armor.

I thought about the Artian one since it has Rapid Fire (I'm a LBG user), but I don't think I can get it for a while.

Personally I'd like to try Stygian Zinogre's set with the Seregios LBG. That gun reloads one shot with each dodge, and S.Zin's armor comes with Peak Performance (more attack at full hp), Loading and evade up. It's too bad there doesn't seem to be a high rank Narga armor - that's my usual go-to set. I needed a charm just to get evade distance on my HBG set.

JimPanzer

Guys does the guild quest money divides between all the players? Like I remember shegeru magala was like 15,000 z and I remember getting a bit less than 4000 z, and we didn't die, there were 4 of us

yep it's divided, my biggest struggle with g-rank armor and weapons is not the materials but the money to craft them...

Just got the Felyne and Melynx dual blades. Are these things cats on a stick?? What is up with that design?

Also, what is the difference between the single lightning bolt and the double lighting bolts on the elemental effect if weapons? One seems to have a blue effect, the other a yellow effect, but both look like lightning. If I'm not mistaken the yellow lightning provides some sort of paralysis every now and then?

Hi Gaf, I’ve got a question. My buddy and I were trying to farm Gore Magala last night for plate and we were confused about drop rates.

It showed that the regular drop rate for a plate is 5% and when the head is broken it drops to 3%. So what I understand is that breaking the head would actually hurt our chances of getting plate correct?

My question is that since Gore Magala can have multiple body parts break, will breaking something else also hurt our chance for plate drops? Like say cutting off the tail or breaking a wing arm/wing?

JimPanzer

Just got the Felyne and Melynx dual blades. Are these things cats on a stick?? What is up with that design?

Also, what is the difference between the single lightning bolt and the double lighting bolts on the elemental effect if weapons? One seems to have a blue effect, the other a yellow effect, but both look like lightning. If I'm not mistaken the yellow lightning provides some sort of paralysis every now and then?

double lightning bolt is not elemental, it's the paralysis status effect

Sifl

Hi Gaf, I’ve got a question. My buddy and I were trying to farm Gore Magala last night for plate and we were confused about drop rates.

It showed that the regular drop rate for a plate is 5% and when the head is broken it drops to 3%. So what I understand is that breaking the head would actually hurt our chances of getting plate correct?

My question is that since Gore Magala can have multiple body parts break, will breaking something else also hurt our chance for plate drops? Like say cutting off the tail or breaking a wing arm/wing?
I think breaking the head has a chance of giving you the plate on the bonus reward screen, it shouldn't lower the drop rate.

Mupod

No, when it's broken that's how much of a chance you get for it to show up in the wound/cap window. So basically you get an extra chance at that part, it's always good to break stuff.

edit: to clarify, say there's a 5% chance for a part to drop from a quest. There's a 2% chance to get it from capture, and a 3% chance to get it from a head break.

If you break the head and capture, and get lucky from the quest rewards, you could possibly get three.
That will only ever happen if you don't want it.

No, it just helps your chances. I believe there's a 5% chance for a carve, 4% for a tail carve, something low for a shiny drop, and then if you break the head, there's a 3% chance in the quest rewards for a Plate.

Edit: Beaten like crazy.

possibly get three.
I can verify this is 100% true. I couldn't care less about Gore Plates and I have 7 in my inventory. My last run I got 3, and I have no clue why. I've been trying to get a Rathalos Plate all weekend and didn't get one.

I think breaking the head has a chance of giving you the plate on the bonus reward screen, it shouldn't lower the drop rate.

No, when it's broken that's how much of a chance you get for it to show up in the wound/cap window. So basically you get an extra chance at that part, it's always good to break stuff.

edit: to clarify, say there's a 5% chance for a part to drop from a quest. There's a 2% chance to get it from capture, and a 3% chance to get it from a head break.

If you break the head and capture, and get lucky from the quest rewards, you could possibly get three.

No, it just helps your chances. I believe there's a 5% chance for a carve, 4% for a tail carve, something low for a shiny drop, and then if you break the head, there's a 3% chance in the quest rewards for a Plate.

Edit: Beaten like crazy.

I can verify this is 100% true. I couldn't care less about Gore Plates and I have 7 in my inventory. My last run I got 3, and I have no clue why. I've been trying to get a Rathalos Plate all weekend and didn't get one.

Ah ok thanks guys, this is much more forgiving than how I envisioned how the drop rates worked. And yeah I know the feeling, I've been trying to get Chilling Beaks from Najarala all weekend, still got squat but my buddy has like 4 and doesn't want them.

O and gear wise, is the normal progression after Tetsucabra, Najarala? I looked at the stats on Najarala and besides getting better captures and regular ear plugs, the resistances are pretty awful.

ohlawd

Ah ok thanks guys, this is much more forgiving than how I envisioned how the drop rates worked. And yeah I know the feeling, I've been trying to get Chilling Beaks from Najarala all weekend, still got squat but my buddy has like 4 and doesn't want them.

O and gear wise, is the normal progression after Tetsucabra, Najarala? I looked at the stats on Najarala and besides getting better captures and regular ear plugs, the resistances are pretty awful.

you can stick with Tetsu all the way to HR as long as you're progressive with upgrades through spheres

It's totally your call, based on whatever you want to use. Earplugs is pretty nice to have, particularly against guys like the slimy electric dragon (always forget his name) that screams a lot.
Personally, I just used Jaggi Armor for my bowgun and Veloci armor for my Long Sword all throughout low rank. I just hit high rank and am just now upgrading all of my armor.

Mupod

the gear progression is:

1. Do I want those armor skills?
2. Do I like fighting that monster and want to do it a bunch of times?
3. Fuck it, I'll keep using Velociprey

Defense is no big deal as long as you've got rank-appropriate stuff, no matter how much it's upgraded you still don't want to get hit. Resistances can be an issue but if you're SEVERELY weak to a certain monster's element, you can just eat food to counteract it. The food buffs will give you positive resistances no matter how low your armor resist is. For example Felyne Firestarter if you're wearing Lagombi armor versus a Rathalos might save your life.

Reknoc

I thought I'd be swimming in Gore Plates since I didn't want his armour, but this game, this game knew ahead of time that I'll need it to upgrade my Glaive.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I thought I'd be swimming in Gore Plates since I didn't want his armour, but this game, this game knew ahead of time that I'll need it to upgrade my Glaive.

Lol I had the opposite problem, I didn't really want a single plate since I didn't need one to upgrade to the gore GS.

I ended up with goddamn 5 of them.

So I ended up building the full set and then thankfully I was able to make the arc greaves for my silly sharp+1 and crit draw set.

But I can't seem to get a single rath plate, which makes me laugh harder considering ive gotten 3 rathian rubies and 3 rathian plates.

you can stick with Tetsu all the way to HR as long as you're progressive with upgrades through spheres

It's totally your call, based on whatever you want to use. Earplugs is pretty nice to have, particularly against guys like the slimy electric dragon (always forget his name) that screams a lot.
Personally, I just used Jaggi Armor for my bowgun and Veloci armor for my Long Sword all throughout low rank. I just hit high rank and am just now upgrading all of my armor.

the gear progression is:

1. Do I want those armor skills?
2. Do I like fighting that monster and want to do it a bunch of times?
3. Fuck it, I'll keep using Velociprey

Defense is no big deal as long as you've got rank-appropriate stuff, no matter how much it's upgraded you still don't want to get hit. Resistances can be an issue but if you're SEVERELY weak to a certain monster's element, you can just eat food to counteract it. The food buffs will give you positive resistances no matter how low your armor resist is. For example Felyne Firestarter if you're wearing Lagombi armor versus a Rathalos might save your life.

O wow, for some reason I put way more emphasis on defense and resistance values. Totally forgot that food can buff you vs certain types of damage. I guess I'm digging Tetsu's +50 hp and defense (s) right now. I may stick with until something nicer comes along. Not really liking the look of Najarala and I hear the regular ear plugs dont help too much

Mupod

O wow, for some reason I put way more emphasis on defense and resistance values. Totally forgot that food can buff you vs certain types of damage. I guess I'm digging Tetsu's +50 hp and defense (s) right now. I may stick with until something nicer comes along. Not really liking the look of Najarala and I hear the regular ear plugs dont help too much

the health bonus in particular becomes useless once your food is upgraded - you can't get higher than +50, and 3 star food will give you that. Do your food quests!

Raide

For those that know, the Power type of bows. What damage does the power shot do? Is it based upon the charge level? Also, Would it be a bit faster if I just went for a higher raw damage weapon instead? Taking ages to down some monsters, so I am wondering if I am a bit too low.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I'm getting real sick of Pink Rathian's windpress bullshit. Just give me a ruby so I don;t have to fight you anymore.

She's the reason I built the rath heart set honestly. It may not be the best set, but having wind res Hi against certain monsters I swear is more of a damage boost than crit draw.

Wind pressure is terribly enraging in MH4U more so than in MH3U, I think it's because things are more aggressive and mobile in MH4U so naturally those wings flap a lot more.

Was I imagining it? I was playing local 4 players. I glanced at my buddy who had an old XL. We were in the gathering hall. The framerate was awful! It's smooth on my new XL.

Also, I can NOT believe we still get noticeable latency when playing local. I can sometimes see them teleporting a short distance. I never had that on the PSP games.

the health bonus in particular becomes useless once your food is upgraded - you can't get higher than +50, and 3 star food will give you that. Do your food quests!

wait really? crap now I need a new armor, maybe Neyscrella, I like the Gundam/Mecha look :D

LMN

The thing is, once you faint for the first time in the mission, you're screw, since the effect stop working after that. Using LR Zinogre Armor with taunt on HR mission to farm HR armor is a nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom